Darrelle "first ballot" Revis completely out of the league

Matt39

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yep, this year for the small fee of $6 million dollars. Even if it's actually because he sucks rather than he doesn't feel like it because he's making $6 million anyway, still something only a GOAT type talent can even hope to pull off. 

This also doesn't take away that he was very good in 2015. 

He's pulling it off because Woody Johnson is a moron. It has nothing to do with how good he once was.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis was not fast

Draft analysis

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/516923

Analysis

Positives: Has a muscular physique with a defined upper body, good trapezoid and pectoral development, tight waist and hips, good bubble, strong thighs, knotted calves and minimal body fat … Has exceptional body control and adequate open field quickness … Smart player who thinks well on his feet and can handle different assignments, making him more that capable to digest a complicated playbook … Instinctive athlete who makes quick reads and compensates for a lack of blazing speed with good timing and a feel to make plays on the ball in flight (eight interceptions, 25 pass deflections in 35 games) … Runs with a normal stride and has the flexibility, along with good size to be effective playing off coverage or in the press, showing tight coverage in both … Can play the trail, cover or give a cushion … Can flip and burst in the deep secondary, as it is rare to see him separate from the receiver for too long once he locks on … Can play off the ball, but due to his lack of explosive speed, he is more effective in press coverage … Alert and aware playing in the zone and shows good timing when breaking on the ball … Has solid ball reactions and leaping ability to get to the pass at its high point … Has enough range to cover up for his mistakes, looking faster in his stride when he keeps his pads down … Not one to give much cushion, as he prefers to run step-for-step with the receiver … Closes on the receiver in a hurry and knows how to use his long arms to reach around and deflect the pass out of the opponent's hands … Has exceptional body control on his leaps, getting good elevation … His hands appear soft and natural, as he can pluck the ball outside of his frame … Not afraid to come up and hit in run support (63 percent of his plays were made in run support in 2006) … Explosive hitter who will square up and put his helmet under the receiver's chin … Shows good hip rotation and change of direction agility to mirror on underneath routes … Stays in position on his press technique and is active with his hands to prevent the receiver from pushing off … Has excellent timing, getting a good break on three-step throws … Does a good job of fielding punts and waiting for his blocks to develop, showing the loose hips to redirect to the cutback lanes.

Negatives: Can turn and run well, but will get a little sloppy and erect in his backpedal … Lacks the blazing speed to stay tight on the receiver in deep routes, but has a good burst to close and recover (likes to play tight, as he realizes he doesn't have the second gear needed when giving up a big cushion) … Has soft hands, but will sometimes try to run with the ball on punt returns before securing it, resulting in costly fumbles … Physical tackler in the open, but on occasion he will take a side … Will come up hard in run support, but needs to be more active with his hands, as he doesn't protect his body well in a crowd, resulting in his sometimes getting washed out on the play … Good press coverage defender and alert in the zone, but will hesitate at times when having to switch off on assignments … Needs to stay lower in his pads when backpedaling (gets too erect), but does show control coming out of his breaks … Would be even more effective as a run support player if he would wrap rather than body tackle (needs to face up with better consistency, as ball carriers can slip off some of his hits) … Is generally a decent punt returner, but the coaching staff complained that he was doing too much tap dancing and running horizontally in 2006.

Compares To: ALAN ZEMAITIS-Tampa Bay … Revis might not have the blazing speed to handle the quicker NFL receivers on deep routes, but has the hard-hitting ability to play in the nickel package. He could be more effective as a safety due to his range and natural hands. He also reminds a bit of Charles Woodson (Green Bay) for his ability to make plays in run support. His ability to play either cornerback position will see him gain a lot of playing time in the base defense as a rookie.

12 minutes ago, sciond said:

Revis was not fast

Draft analysis

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/516923

Analysis

Positives: Has a muscular physique with a defined upper body, good trapezoid and pectoral development, tight waist and hips, good bubble, strong thighs, knotted calves and minimal body fat … Has exceptional body control and adequate open field quickness … Smart player who thinks well on his feet and can handle different assignments, making him more that capable to digest a complicated playbook … Instinctive athlete who makes quick reads and compensates for a lack of blazing speed with good timing and a feel to make plays on the ball in flight (eight interceptions, 25 pass deflections in 35 games) … Runs with a normal stride and has the flexibility, along with good size to be effective playing off coverage or in the press, showing tight coverage in both … Can play the trail, cover or give a cushion … Can flip and burst in the deep secondary, as it is rare to see him separate from the receiver for too long once he locks on … Can play off the ball, but due to his lack of explosive speed, he is more effective in press coverage … Alert and aware playing in the zone and shows good timing when breaking on the ball … Has solid ball reactions and leaping ability to get to the pass at its high point … Has enough range to cover up for his mistakes, looking faster in his stride when he keeps his pads down … Not one to give much cushion, as he prefers to run step-for-step with the receiver … Closes on the receiver in a hurry and knows how to use his long arms to reach around and deflect the pass out of the opponent's hands … Has exceptional body control on his leaps, getting good elevation … His hands appear soft and natural, as he can pluck the ball outside of his frame … Not afraid to come up and hit in run support (63 percent of his plays were made in run support in 2006) … Explosive hitter who will square up and put his helmet under the receiver's chin … Shows good hip rotation and change of direction agility to mirror on underneath routes … Stays in position on his press technique and is active with his hands to prevent the receiver from pushing off … Has excellent timing, getting a good break on three-step throws … Does a good job of fielding punts and waiting for his blocks to develop, showing the loose hips to redirect to the cutback lanes.

Negatives: Can turn and run well, but will get a little sloppy and erect in his backpedal … Lacks the blazing speed to stay tight on the receiver in deep routes, but has a good burst to close and recover (likes to play tight, as he realizes he doesn't have the second gear needed when giving up a big cushion) … Has soft hands, but will sometimes try to run with the ball on punt returns before securing it, resulting in costly fumbles … Physical tackler in the open, but on occasion he will take a side … Will come up hard in run support, but needs to be more active with his hands, as he doesn't protect his body well in a crowd, resulting in his sometimes getting washed out on the play … Good press coverage defender and alert in the zone, but will hesitate at times when having to switch off on assignments … Needs to stay lower in his pads when backpedaling (gets too erect), but does show control coming out of his breaks … Would be even more effective as a run support player if he would wrap rather than body tackle (needs to face up with better consistency, as ball carriers can slip off some of his hits) … Is generally a decent punt returner, but the coaching staff complained that he was doing too much tap dancing and running horizontally in 2006.

Compares To: ALAN ZEMAITIS-Tampa Bay … Revis might not have the blazing speed to handle the quicker NFL receivers on deep routes, but has the hard-hitting ability to play in the nickel package. He could be more effective as a safety due to his range and natural hands. He also reminds a bit of Charles Woodson (Green Bay) for his ability to make plays in run support. His ability to play either cornerback position will see him gain a lot of playing time in the base defense as a rookie.

Yep.  Who are we to believe?  Lance Zerlein or whoever that was or a stopwatch?

Revis did not run at the combine because of his hamstring and everybody was predicting him to be slow, but he ran in the 4.3s at his pro-day and the truth came out. The comparison to Zemiatis who came out the year before and had a short career in Canada shows what that analysis is worth. 

"Nobody went away disappointed, put it that way," said Arizona Cardinals secondary coach Teryl Austin, a former Pitt defensive back, Sharon native and Seattle Seahawks assistant in Super Bowl XL.  "Explosive," added Carolina Panthers secondary coach Tim Lewis, another former Pitt player and one-time Steelers defensive coordinator. "Ran fast."

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  Who are we to believe?  Lance Zerlein or whoever that was or a stopwatch?

Revis did not run at the combine because of his hamstring and everybody was predicting him to be slow, but he ran in the 4.3s at his pro-day and the truth came out. The comparison to Zemiatis who came out the year before and had a short career in Canada shows what that analysis is worth. 

"Nobody went away disappointed, put it that way," said Arizona Cardinals secondary coach Teryl Austin, a former Pitt defensive back, Sharon native and Seattle Seahawks assistant in Super Bowl XL.  "Explosive," added Carolina Panthers secondary coach Tim Lewis, another former Pitt player and one-time Steelers defensive coordinator. "Ran fast."

You quote the Post Gazette? That is like a step above Community Life Newspaper.

OTOH the report I quoted was done by

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/index.php

SMH

The guy got old real fast we signed him to that contract after he had a decent season. We also pulled him away from our division rivals the signing probably had more to do with woody wanting him than macc also if I remember correctly the media made a big stink because woody said he would love to have revis back while he was still on the patriot roster.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

What are you smoking?  The primary reason he was so good is because he was an amazing athlete who was quick, fast, and powerful.

What was I smoking? Lol. I don't smoke. Cromartie was fast not quick. Revis was quick not fast. I didn't he was slow but he wasn't very fast as some people eluded to. His quickness and technique plus his good speed made him great. Fast? No but he was fast enough.

Just now, prime21 said:

What was I smoking? Lol. I don't smoke. Cromartie was fast not quick. Revis was quick not fast. I didn't he was slow but he wasn't very fast as some people eluded too. His quickness and technique plus his good speed made him great. Fast? No but he was fast enough.

Right.  That's why the few two or three times you saw him get outrun in his prime was by guys with superhuman speed (Moss, Ginn).  Just stop.

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

What was I smoking? Lol. I don't smoke. Cromartie was fast not quick. Revis was quick not fast. I didn't he was slow but he wasn't very fast as some people eluded to. His quickness and technique plus his good speed made him great. Fast? No but he was fast enough.

This is some truly wild sh*t right here.

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Chrebet was quick not fast. Revis was quick and fast.

In his prime, he was as fast as a CB needed to be, with a little room to spare.

He is the exact opposite of someone who played slower than his timed speed.

He had a unique ability to be Fast and strong in his prime. I'm sure I read some place he played close to 220.

He could jam the largest of the Elite receivers, and run with them. After the knee injury he never got that step back. In his prime no corner in the NFL as been so good.

Pity he's a total douche. I know players decline but the zero effort last year, took him off my top 3 all time Jets to Fook him list.

13 hours ago, sciond said:

You quote the Post Gazette? That is like a step above Community Life Newspaper.

OTOH the report I quoted was done by

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/index.php

SMH

Shake your ******* head all you want, you are wrong.  I didn't quote your sh*tty local newspaper, I quoted Tim Lewis.  Your "quote" was from a scouting report which was almost certainly written before he ran.  I posted the ******* time.  Times don't lie.  Maybe you can smudge them a bit based on surface or who is working the clock, but any way you slice it he was ******* fast.  Like extremely fast.  Maybe you should have looked past that unsigned "scouting" report which compared him to Alan ******* Zemaitis and read what your "source" actually posted he ran.

40 Low: 4.28 40Time: 4.38 40 High: 4.49

You don't shake your head.  I shake mine.

4.38 isn't fast?

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Revis did a 4.38 at pro day and a 4.13 running to the bank.

True that

People can complain that the 40 does not translate to great football players all they want, but if you want to start acting like it doesn't translate to being fast?  Get bent.

"Some players are fast, but do not play fast, while others time slow, but play fast in pads. And that is the key for finding the right balance when using the 40 times as a measuring stick. Like all things, when evaluating college players, everything falls back to the evaluation of playing the game. Does this player play fast? Can his 40 time be seen when he puts on his pads?"

Revis was an amazing DB but you won't hear anyone say "man that dude was fast..or man that dude can fly"  His all around game made him seem faster than he was .  YES he was fast but stop making him seem like he had ridculous speed.  Guys running the 40 are running a straight line with no pads and no decision making required.  Vernon Gholston ran a great time in the 40 and how did that translate on on the field? He looked like a more fit lineman running the field.  The 40 is a good measuring stick to star with but it foes not define game speed for all players.

22 hours ago, prime21 said:

Revis was a very smart CB with a great skill set despite not being very fast. 

20 minutes ago, prime21 said:

YES he was fast but stop making him seem like he had ridculous speed.  

You said he was not very fast.  I proved he was.  I never said he was the fastest guy in the league or anything, but his speed was an asset, not a drawback.  He's not Richard Sherman.

BTW, you might want to edit the rest of your post.  You seem to be saying that Revis ran fast, but didn't play fast which is even more laughable than saying he wasn't fast.  

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You said he was not very fast.  I proved he was.  I never said he was the fastest guy in the league or anything, but his speed was an asset, not a drawback.  He's not Richard Sherman.

BTW, you might want to edit the rest of your post.  You seem to be saying that Revis ran fast, but didn't play fast which is even more laughable than saying he wasn't fast.  

You proved he was fast?  You proved this?  You provided his 4o stats and that's it?  That defines him as being fast?

I never said he was slow so I'm not sure what the big debate is.  I said he wasn't VERY fast.   He was fast enough...period.  That's my final answer.

I will not edit anything.  I stand with what I say.  I am totally in the minority on this and that's cool.  I will not convince anyone of what I am saying just like none of you have swayed me from my thoughts on his speed.

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Shake your ******* head all you want, you are wrong.  I didn't quote your sh*tty local newspaper, I quoted Tim Lewis.  Your "quote" was from a scouting report which was almost certainly written before he ran.  I posted the ******* time.  Times don't lie.  Maybe you can smudge them a bit based on surface or who is working the clock, but any way you slice it he was ******* fast.  Like extremely fast.  Maybe you should have looked past that unsigned "scouting" report which compared him to Alan ******* Zemaitis and read what your "source" actually posted he ran.

40 Low: 4.28 40Time: 4.38 40 High: 4.49

You don't shake your head.  I shake mine.

4.38 isn't fast?

True that

People can complain that the 40 does not translate to great football players all they want, but if you want to start acting like it doesn't translate to being fast?  Get bent.

LOL OK Like the pro day conditions and times compare to the combine where everyone is a level playing field....I would put more stock those number being real if they were at the combine.

Never had make up speed, never was really fast

Maybe he was fast compared you running but not to the NFL.

You can stand on Revis island with him...you have something in common..both not in the NFL

Oh and I forgot.... I am a huge Revis fan. I own so many shirts and jersey's with his name on the back plus I posted a few times years ago that his image should be up on top with Martin and the rest of them on the forums old page.  Go figure I am debating against the grain about him.  SMH.  I'm going to wear his jersey this weekend in honor of the Legend.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Best player in Jets history and our fans do nothing but bash him.

I  haven't seen any bashing on Revis in this thread.  There is a debate about how fast he was, which in actuality means nothing because what ever speed he had,  he was an elite CB and one of the best ever.    He very well could be the best player in our history.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Does anyone remember that game vs the Pats where Revis chased a dude down from across the field and they timed it at 4.0/40? 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Best player in Jets history and our fans do nothing but bash him.

He was a great player but a mercenary. As a mercenary, he deserves all the bashing he gets.  He cares nothing about the fans or the JETS.

JUST MEVIS.  But he was special. no doubt.

One of the best open field tacklers ive ever seen.  

I wouldn't wear his jersey if it were cold out.  Id rather freeze.

18 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He was a great player but a mercenary. As a mercenary, he deserves all the bashing he gets.  He cares nothing about the fans or the JETS.

JUST MEVIS.  But he was special. no doubt.

One of the best open field tacklers ive ever seen.  

I wouldn't wear his jersey if it were cold out.  Id rather freeze.

all players want the most money they can get, our beloved QB once quit on us b/c of a bar he owned. yes it was temporary but that's how people operate,  they look out for themselves.  if FA was available in the old days more guys who we see as Jets would have left or held out for more money.  as fans it sucks to watch that but i's them not us who are literally putting their lives on the line to play this game.  Good for revis for maximizing his earnings and getting a SB ring as well.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

all players want the most money they can get, our beloved QB once quit on us b/c of a bar he owned. yes it was temporary but that's how people operate,  they look out for themselves.  if FA was available in the old days more guys who we see as Jets would have left or held out for more money.  as fans it sucks to watch that but i's them not us who are literally putting their lives on the line to play this game.  Good for revis for maximizing his earnings and getting a SB ring as well.

You are confusing 2 different issues.

Its one thing wanting to get paid the most you can for what you do for a living.

I dont know anyone working for a check who would argue with that.

It's a whole different thing, wanting to get paid then getting paid and then not delivering to the payee what you got paid for.

Revis had a few great years, but good offenses just avoided him and went 2TE or 4 WR when it counted.

Yes, it's nice to roll coverage away from him and double other guys, but those defenses still couldn't get the key stop

I don't begrudge him getting paid, the Jets blew it by buying into his argument that he was not only the best corner but the best defender in the NFL.  I would have offered him the best corner money to that point and then let him hold out as long as he wanted to. Tanny caved. 

He's out if the league because nobody offered him $9m+ for the season (if even that'd get a deal done). The first $6m he gets anyway to watch tv, and then ~half of the amount above that goes to taxes. 

It's a long season in a rough sport, he's already had one serious knee injury, and if he's even been close to half smart with what he's made it hardly seems worth it. 

His last deal ensured he never needed to look for work again. Another $1-2m on the pile isn't life altering/enhancing for him. A serious injury might be.

Possibility he gets signed very late so he's only playing the last 2-4 games for "free" to showcase himself for 2018 like an investment, but other than that no way for this year at least, 

(Now watch him sign with someone tomorrow lol)

On 9/14/2017 at 3:38 PM, T0mShane said:

Does anyone remember that game vs the Pats where Revis chased a dude down from across the field and they timed it at 4.0/40? 

I was at that game & it was Wes Welker. Pats fans couldn't believe Revis caught Welker had 3 full steps on him. Caught him right before the goal line. Was in the endzone watching from behind the play.

55 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You are confusing 2 different issues.

Its one thing wanting to get paid the most you can for what you do for a living.

I dont know anyone working for a check who would argue with that.

It's a whole different thing, wanting to get paid then getting paid and then not delivering to the payee what you got paid for.

and then wondering why those who paid complain.  FUKK Revis.  Great player, shilty as a NY JET IMO.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

And those pre-FA years teams are paying a penny on the dollar for stars (in this case an all time great NFL player)? Why does it only ever work one way where the player "owes" the fans and ownership for surviving in this disgusting steaming cesspool of a sport and league long enough to make a little money in FA? 

Archived