### Jets \ Bills -- (2017 Season Is Here) Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The narrative on this board is all wrong.  The strength of this team, and the money and draft picks are almost all in the front 7.   We should be absolutely dominating the point of attack.  Instead we had almost no qb pressure, the Bills Oline were able to effortlessly move us around and Tyrod Taylor and McCoy gashed us for a crap ton of yards.  And as usual, Williams and Wilkerson will show up for one run stuff a quarter then proceed to gas out.  Not good enough!

The least invested part of the team (the qb and wrs) meanwhile were able to play an ok game, and we put ourselves into position several times.  That really then falls on our talented rbs to make plays, and well they didn't.

When a team's strengths no show, its not going to work out.

4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

McCown was way better than Petty, or Hack could have been.  Considering what he had to play with and the length of time he had to play with them I thought he did an admirable job.  He was the best player on the Jets today.  How good can you look when you have crap around you?

Interesting opinion that I could not disagree with more.  McCown wasn't the reason we lost, but he completed 26 passes for 187 yards.  An average of just over 7 yards per completion, including YAC.  To put that in perspective, look at this page: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-passing-yards-per-completion/2016/ 

Almost 3 yards less than the worst team in the league last year.  So basically you have Captain Dumpoff, who has a nice completion percentage when throwing for 3 yards but can't move the ball down the field and gets picked off when he tries.  Not all on him, but he's exactly what he always was and what we thought he'd be.  

I'll take the unknown of Bryce Petty over that all day, every day until I see that he can't cut it.  I know he can put the ball downfield just fine at least.  Give me a chance to win or lose big over a bigger chance to just lose by a little, thank you.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

"Quarterbacks are judged by wins and losses" but you can't negatively judge this quarterback even though his team lost and they only put up 12 points. 

McCown makes nobody on the team better. He gives the team no energy or hope outside of "hey I can execute an outlet pass exactly as the OC drew it up."

Who did you expect him to make better? The best offensive guy we had on the field was Kearse who joined the team last week as a throw in for Richardson. 

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

The narrative on this board is all wrong.  The strength of this team, and the money and draft picks are almost all in the front 7.   We should be absolutely dominating the point of attack.  Instead we had almost no qb pressure, the Bills Oline were able to effortlessly move us around and Tyrod Taylor and McCoy gashed us for a crap ton of yards.  And as usual, Williams and Wilkerson will show up for one run stuff a quarter then proceed to gas out.  Not good enough!

The least invested part of the team (the qb and wrs) meanwhile were able to play an ok game, and we put ourselves into position several times.  That really then falls on our talented rbs to make plays, and well they didn't.

When a team's strengths no show, its not going to work out.

I disagree about not getting pressure. We didn't blitz much but got pressure, we didn't get sacks and Taylor stepped into space. The inability to stop the run was shocking tho. 

7 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Right. Super job guys. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Anyone else, was he actually hurt? I woke up and thought I heard that he was injured. Just want to know if I need to get on the waiver wire for a new RB...

He isn't hurt as far as I know . 

Just now, kdels62 said:

I disagree about not getting pressure. We didn't blitz much but got pressure, we didn't get sacks and Taylor stepped into space. The inability to stop the run was shocking tho. 

Weak LB's.   Not saying the D line played the run well but its a combination of the two.

Just now, kdels62 said:

We can't stop the run in large part because our current highest paid player seems to care less than our former highest paid player, and I didn't even think that was possible.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Sure - but the real problem on Sunday is that we have less than 5 NFL players on the field.

when you have not got the talent, youbetter make the right calls. Not sure he knows what they are.  He is still doing this this year after doing it last year.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

We can't stop the run in large part because our current highest paid player seems to care less than our former highest paid player, and I didn't even think that was possible.

His decline is shocking rapid and looks irreversible. He was the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league 2 years ago

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Interesting opinion that I could not disagree with more.  McCown wasn't the reason we lost, but he completed 26 passes for 187 yards.  An average of just over 7 yards per completion, including YAC.  To put that in perspective, look at this page: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-passing-yards-per-completion/2016/ 

Almost 3 yards less than the worst team in the league last year.  So basically you have Captain Dumpoff, who has a nice completion percentage when throwing for 3 yards but can't move the ball down the field and gets picked off when he tries.  Not all on him, but he's exactly what he always was and what we thought he'd be.  

I'll take the unknown of Bryce Petty over that all day, every day until I see that he can't cut it.  I know he can put the ball downfield just fine at least.  Give me a chance to win or lose big over a bigger chance to just lose by a little, thank you.

In a few weeks you'll get your wish to go with a QB that we have a chance to lose bigger with.  Personally I don't disagree with that part of your thinking.  I disagree that Petty, or Hack would have done better then McCown.   I think if either of the young guys played today the play calling would have been even more conservative. 

The Jets are playing McCown until the offense starts to gel, then (by game 4 I think) you'll see Hackenberg, or Petty depending on how they look in practice, probably Hack.  I'm perfectly Ok with playing the young guys I just don't think we do it from the first game. 

1 minute ago, Stark said:

Seriously, odds are in his favor he's better than McCown. Just based on odds alone.  Petty is the best QB on the team.  It's a fact. 

Petty at the very least would put life back in Robby Anderson . 4.8 ypa for McCown he isn't gonna get to use that speed at all.

Just now, Stark said:

Seriously, odds are in his favor he's better than McCown. Just based on odds alone.  Petty is the best QB on the team.  It's a fact. 

We'll see if Petty's still in the league at 38.  Despite that I want to see the young guys play and I believe strongly that they will (not next week) very soon.

1 minute ago, BigO said:

Don't think they can run very well in either direction.  Better if they just stand there when the ball is snapped.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the pass blocking. The run blocking might develop as the o-line gels and gets more reps. I fully expected McCown to get smashed, instead he was just not good.

11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

when you have not got the talent, youbetter make the right calls. Not sure he knows what they are.  He is still doing this this year after doing it last year.

So, basically, Bowles has to be perfect, because we suck so bad.  Seems reasonable.

Archived