Jump to content
Maxman

### Jets \ Bills -- (2017 Season Is Here) Game Thread ###

Recommended Posts

Some real trash games by 'contender' teams today.  Houston gets faced rolled, Dalton throws 4 picks and gets shut out, Palmer throws 3 picks (Palmer was done 2 years ago, arians is going to go down  with the ship with a bad player.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The narrative on this board is all wrong.  The strength of this team, and the money and draft picks are almost all in the front 7.   We should be absolutely dominating the point of attack.  Instead we had almost no qb pressure, the Bills Oline were able to effortlessly move us around and Tyrod Taylor and McCoy gashed us for a crap ton of yards.  And as usual, Williams and Wilkerson will show up for one run stuff a quarter then proceed to gas out.  Not good enough!

The least invested part of the team (the qb and wrs) meanwhile were able to play an ok game, and we put ourselves into position several times.  That really then falls on our talented rbs to make plays, and well they didn't.

When a team's strengths no show, its not going to work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bowles sucks, but goddamn if we conclude that he's even 25% of the total problem.

He's not. But punting down two scores with less than four minutes at midfield is as fireable as it gets. This is basic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I'm not blaming McCown, but we are young and this team is all about evaluating for the future. I would strongly consider going with the young QBs.

he kind of reminded me of Fitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

McCown was way better than Petty, or Hack could have been.  Considering what he had to play with and the length of time he had to play with them I thought he did an admirable job.  He was the best player on the Jets today.  How good can you look when you have crap around you?

Interesting opinion that I could not disagree with more.  McCown wasn't the reason we lost, but he completed 26 passes for 187 yards.  An average of just over 7 yards per completion, including YAC.  To put that in perspective, look at this page: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-passing-yards-per-completion/2016/ 

Almost 3 yards less than the worst team in the league last year.  So basically you have Captain Dumpoff, who has a nice completion percentage when throwing for 3 yards but can't move the ball down the field and gets picked off when he tries.  Not all on him, but he's exactly what he always was and what we thought he'd be.  

I'll take the unknown of Bryce Petty over that all day, every day until I see that he can't cut it.  I know he can put the ball downfield just fine at least.  Give me a chance to win or lose big over a bigger chance to just lose by a little, thank you.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is what I've been trying to say for a month... But isn't it easier just to think one guy is the problem?

he is a big problem on Sunday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

"Quarterbacks are judged by wins and losses" but you can't negatively judge this quarterback even though his team lost and they only put up 12 points. 

McCown makes nobody on the team better. He gives the team no energy or hope outside of "hey I can execute an outlet pass exactly as the OC drew it up."

Who did you expect him to make better? The best offensive guy we had on the field was Kearse who joined the team last week as a throw in for Richardson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He's not. But punting down two scores with less than four minutes at midfield is as fireable as it gets. This is basic.

Indefensible call by Bowles.  But he's done it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

That punt made no sense. 

he did it a fair amount of the time last year, too.  Clear he learns from his flubs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

he is a big problem on Sunday

Sure - but the real problem on Sunday is that we have less than 5 NFL players on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hael said:

The narrative on this board is all wrong.  The strength of this team, and the money and draft picks are almost all in the front 7.   We should be absolutely dominating the point of attack.  Instead we had almost no qb pressure, the Bills Oline were able to effortlessly move us around and Tyrod Taylor and McCoy gashed us for a crap ton of yards.  And as usual, Williams and Wilkerson will show up for one run stuff a quarter then proceed to gas out.  Not good enough!

The least invested part of the team (the qb and wrs) meanwhile were able to play an ok game, and we put ourselves into position several times.  That really then falls on our talented rbs to make plays, and well they didn't.

When a team's strengths no show, its not going to work out.

I disagree about not getting pressure. We didn't blitz much but got pressure, we didn't get sacks and Taylor stepped into space. The inability to stop the run was shocking tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

 

Right. Super job guys. Thanks for clearing that up. 

 

Anyone else, was he actually hurt? I woke up and thought I heard that he was injured. Just want to know if I need to get on the waiver wire for a new RB...

He isn't hurt as far as I know . 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdels62 said:

I disagree about not getting pressure. We didn't blitz much but got pressure, we didn't get sacks and Taylor stepped into space. The inability to stop the run was shocking tho. 

Weak LB's.   Not saying the D line played the run well but its a combination of the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdels62 said:

I disagree about not getting pressure. We didn't blitz much but got pressure, we didn't get sacks and Taylor stepped into space. The inability to stop the run was shocking tho. 

We can't stop the run in large part because our current highest paid player seems to care less than our former highest paid player, and I didn't even think that was possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Sure - but the real problem on Sunday is that we have less than 5 NFL players on the field.

when you have not got the talent, youbetter make the right calls. Not sure he knows what they are.  He is still doing this this year after doing it last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Them back-to-back safety picks sure did pay off today! 

Weak LB's, below average CB's....don't think any vet safety would fair much better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gEYno said:

We can't stop the run in large part because our current highest paid player seems to care less than our former highest paid player, and I didn't even think that was possible.

His decline is shocking rapid and looks irreversible. He was the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league 2 years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Oline is horrible at run blocking .

Don't think they can run very well in either direction.  Better if they just stand there when the ball is snapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We can't stop the run in large part because our current highest paid player seems to care less than our former highest paid player, and I didn't even think that was possible.

But hey, at least he's screwing Woody.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Interesting opinion that I could not disagree with more.  McCown wasn't the reason we lost, but he completed 26 passes for 187 yards.  An average of just over 7 yards per completion, including YAC.  To put that in perspective, look at this page: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-passing-yards-per-completion/2016/ 

Almost 3 yards less than the worst team in the league last year.  So basically you have Captain Dumpoff, who has a nice completion percentage when throwing for 3 yards but can't move the ball down the field and gets picked off when he tries.  Not all on him, but he's exactly what he always was and what we thought he'd be.  

I'll take the unknown of Bryce Petty over that all day, every day until I see that he can't cut it.  I know he can put the ball downfield just fine at least.  Give me a chance to win or lose big over a bigger chance to just lose by a little, thank you.

 

In a few weeks you'll get your wish to go with a QB that we have a chance to lose bigger with.  Personally I don't disagree with that part of your thinking.  I disagree that Petty, or Hack would have done better then McCown.   I think if either of the young guys played today the play calling would have been even more conservative. 

The Jets are playing McCown until the offense starts to gel, then (by game 4 I think) you'll see Hackenberg, or Petty depending on how they look in practice, probably Hack.  I'm perfectly Ok with playing the young guys I just don't think we do it from the first game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

ASJ would help, I don't think Petty would.

Seriously, odds are in his favor he's better than McCown. Just based on odds alone.  Petty is the best QB on the team.  It's a fact. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

He's the second coming of Paxton Lynch.

No he's not.  He's better than Lynch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stark said:

Seriously, odds are in his favor he's better than McCown. Just based on odds alone.  Petty is the best QB on the team.  It's a fact. 

 

Petty at the very least would put life back in Robby Anderson . 4.8 ypa for McCown he isn't gonna get to use that speed at all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stark said:

Seriously, odds are in his favor he's better than McCown. Just based on odds alone.  Petty is the best QB on the team.  It's a fact. 

 

We'll see if Petty's still in the league at 38.  Despite that I want to see the young guys play and I believe strongly that they will (not next week) very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jack48 said:

9 down, 3 minutes left in Bills territory.

Thanks, I thought it was 5 min. and we were on their side of the 50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I care about is the 2020 team. Worried about Williams, happy enough w the safeties. Maybe She'll grows into a decent OT. I like some of the young WRs as possible good #2 and 3's...in 2020

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scoop24 said:

Petty at the very least would put life back in Robby Anderson . 4.8 ypa for McCown he isn't gonna get to use that speed at all.

With the young guys in there the play calling would be even more conservative.  Count on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigO said:

Don't think they can run very well in either direction.  Better if they just stand there when the ball is snapped.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the pass blocking. The run blocking might develop as the o-line gels and gets more reps. I fully expected McCown to get smashed, instead he was just not good.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Thanks, I thought it was 5 min. and we were on their side of the 50?

between 3 and 4 minutes in BIlls territory. I am pretty sure.  2 scores down you do not punt even with 5 left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

when you have not got the talent, youbetter make the right calls. Not sure he knows what they are.  He is still doing this this year after doing it last year.

So, basically, Bowles has to be perfect, because we suck so bad.  Seems reasonable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...