Hack beats out Petty for back up job

AFJF

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am awaiting Irma to arrive in Sarasota.  Potentially devastating damage to my home and vehicles. 

If Petty isnt the backup or starter within 2-3 weeks, I still will scrounge up a few dollars to donate for a billboard.

Good luck!

Lived in Bradenton Maaaaaannnnyyyyy years ago.  Sarasota had some pretty nice spots.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was interest in Petty last season too. But I'm glad they kept him because the return would have been minimal. Based on what we saw during preseason he is going to be in the mix to be our starter next season. And he will probably get starts this year unless McCown lights it up and the team wins games. The bottom line with Petty is can he be a starter in the NFL? Or just a backup. He's well into the learning curve so he should be ready to play. 

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Is this a joke?  This better be about Petty's knee... or the Jets are headed for a mutiny.

Maybe that's what their plan - their plan, lol - is to avoid. 

Say you have a bunch of players - especially when you've got a roster of so many inexperienced youngsters - who believe Petty earned the starting job (never mind the backup job). It helps to settle those players down if the story is he's not well enough to play at all, even as the backup. Then by next week (or the week after), when they decide to end McCown's tenure as starter - or if an injury ends it for them - then Petty leapfrogs Hackenberg "now that he's healthy enough" or something.

Only other thing I can come up with is it's to show the team that, unlike the prior season, the HC isn't going to be swayed by locker room popularity contests, and he's doing it just to lay down the law. The problem is the players don't want Petty over Hackenberg because of popularity or because some veterans didn't want to spend a year breaking in Geno or Petty or an overdrafted rookie; it's because he outplayed Hackenberg. If one is going to outplay the other and still lose a competition, it's an insult to the players' collective intelligence to have called it a competition in the first place. They know there's been an obvious thumb on the scale that determined the outcome. They also know next time it could be them that lose future sham competitions like this, should this FO draft someone in rounds 1-2 at their position the next time.

He could legitimately be injured, or not healed enough, but unless there was a setback that we don't know about yet, I don't see how that gets reconciled with earlier statements that he was healthy enough to play days ago.

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

#JetsNFL_2017_NYJets_v2.png are taking a cautious/conservative approach with Bryce Petty, who is NOT fully healthy from MCL injury, I'm told.

Sprained his knee a few weeks ago...better be safe and put him on ice 'til around Christmas.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

There was interest in Petty last season too. But I'm glad they kept him because the return would have been minimal. Based on what we saw during preseason he is going to be in the mix to be our starter next season. And he will probably get starts this year unless McCown lights it up and the team wins games. The bottom line with Petty is can he be a starter in the NFL? Or just a backup. He's well into the learning curve so he should be ready to play. 

Here's the thing.  You could substitute McCown for Petty in that question.  Now, or 10 years ago.  Apparently, because he has more experience at losing games, he is more qualified to be our starter.  I love this coaching staff.

I like Petty and think with the right coaching he could be a solid player.  Since the Jets can't develop QB talent they should trade him for something of value.  Even if he blossoms somewhere else doesn't mean he would blossom here.   In fact, he is doomed here.  Get something, anything for him.

Just now, nycdan said:

Here's the thing.  You could substitute McCown for Petty in that question.  Now, or 10 years ago.  Apparently, because he has more experience at losing games, he is more qualified to be our starter.  I love this coaching staff.

He's been with a lot of losing teams. But I've seen McCown play and he's better than his W-L record. Overall a more reliable player than Fitz too. He isn't going to throw a lot of crazy picks. He will go down rather than throw a ball up into traffic. McCown is a decent game manager. And can move the chains. Kind of disappointed Kerley not activated today. I think he could help them but probably Bilal and Forte will get the bulk of short passes. I believe McCown will be successful. 

3 minutes ago, Esquire said:

I like Petty and think with the right coaching he could be a solid player.  Since the Jets can't develop QB talent they should trade him for something of value.  Even if he blossoms somewhere else doesn't mean he would blossom here.   In fact, he is doomed here.  Get something, anything for him.

I'd ask to be waived if I was Petty. He's clearly getting the screws put to him by an administration that will likely be unemployed in eight months. He's got nothing to lose.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's been with a lot of losing teams. But I've seen McCown play and he's better than his W-L record. Overall a more reliable player than Fitz too. He isn't going to throw a lot of crazy picks. He will go down rather than throw a ball up into traffic. McCown is a decent game manager. And can move the chains. Kind of disappointed Kerley not activated today. I think he could help them but probably Bilal and Forte will get the bulk of short passes. I believe McCown will be successful. 

Lord I hope not.  Because if successful means he wins 6 games with a team that was projected to win 4, that is absolutely, without any possible doubt, the worst case scenario I could imagine.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Lord I hope not.  Because if successful means he wins 6 games with a team that was projected to win 4, that is absolutely, without any possible doubt, the worst case scenario I could imagine.

Do you really believe tanking it is a plus for the org. I thought you were supposed to teach your players to win games. And bring in a culture of winning. Also are you 100% sure that getting a very high pick and selecting one of the top rated Qbs means we will win in the future. Last year the best Qb in the draft was the 4th rounder not the overall one. You have to be good and lucky in drafting. Every team in the NFL passed on Prescott including Dallas several times. Look if you tank it what does it say to the other 52 players on the roster. It's not just a Qb it's an entire roster. You can win with a game manager. 

46 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'll take Bowles at his word on this one.  Petty has been practicing at 100% and his health would not be an issue in determining the depth chart. His words.

If this is remotely true than why not trade Petty ??

Making Petty 3rd on the depth chart hindering his further development, for what?

Trade him for picks you think that can play. What are we attempting to do?

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

It means they value petty, and this crap about holding him back is just dumb

So they never gave him a rep with the starters because they felt they saw enough from his starts last season to evaluate him now.  And when he excels with the minimal opportunities they did give him, they bench him in favor of Hack, who was clearly inferior this preseason.  They tell us his knee was good enough that he could have played last week vs. Philly but now the magic bunnies have kicked him in his tender spots and he's no longer capable of playing which is why he is inactive.  You seem to really want this to all make sense but their treatment of Petty this preseason has not shown even the slightest hint of 'they value him'.  It looks more like they truly believe their jobs depend on Hack working out as a viable starter and they are willing to fire up the reality distortion field in order to sell it.

Yeah, this could all change next week and honestly, I'll be fine with it if that's how it plays out, but for now, based on what I can see and read, they are all in on Hack over Petty no matter what happens on the field.

38 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I get that Bowles feels he has no responsibility to communicate with or win over the fans in any way.  But you would think ownership would recognize that alienating a large part of the fanbase isn't really good business.  I would go to a game or two this season (as I usually do) if Petty were starting.  But Hack backing up McCown is a non-starter for me.   Just my opinion but I suspect I'm far from alone in this.  And because there is no rational basis for Hack in and Petty out, it looks like a team that is completely out of touch with reality as I perceive it.  Again, they don't 'owe' me anything but I also don't 'owe' them my usual attendance.  I'm just can't get emotionally invested this year and that makes me incredibly sad.

I have already sat my sons down (they are 8 and 5 years old) and told them in no uncertain terms that the Jets suck and are not worth the time or effort. My son Sean (5 years old) likes the "Red teams" and Connor thinks football is boring because "all it is is commercials". 

Im very proud of both of them for breaking the cycle of disappointment.

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I had such high hopes for this regime. I really did. Now the only thing we can do is hope that Hackenberg gets in, throws six picks, Piers Morgan humiliates Woody Johnson on British television, and John Morton is the interim head coach before November rolls around.

What an embarrassing display of cowardice. 

Shameful.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Do you really believe tanking it is a plus for the org. I thought you were supposed to teach your players to win games. And bring in a culture of winning. Also are you 100% sure that getting a very high pick and selecting one of the top rated Qbs means we will win in the future. Last year the best Qb in the draft was the 4th rounder not the overall one. You have to be good and lucky in drafting. Every team in the NFL passed on Prescott including Dallas several times. Look if you tank it what does it say to the other 52 players on the roster. It's not just a Qb it's an entire roster. You can win with a game manager. 

Fair point.  I'm conflicted.  But when I watch Darnold and Rosen right now, I get that same fluttery feeling in my gut thinking about them in a Jets uniform that I got watching Margot Robbie in Wolf on Wall Street.  Yeah, I completely know how that sounds and if that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right!

Just to be clear, if Petty (or even Hack) were starting, I could be all in rooting for success because maybe they could be our guy for the next 10 years.  But rooting for a 38-year old perennial JAG to win a few more games (but fall short of the playoffs) doesn't make for an exciting season for me.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Fair point.  I'm conflicted.  But when I watch Darnold and Rosen right now, I get that same fluttery feeling in my gut thinking about them in a Jets uniform that I got watching Margot Robbie in Wolf on Wall Street.  Yeah, I completely know how that sounds and if that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right!

Darnold and Rosen neither has that many starts. It was the same thing with Mark Sanchez. Both will probably be good NFL Qbs but they said the same thing about the Cal kid the Rams drafted last season and he wasn't that good. He will probably end up being decent. You don't tank your season for that kind of uncertainty. Esp when nine wins can sometimes get you into the playoffs. And if you get in with the 9 you can win a SB. It's been done before. As for me the Jets are my no. 1 source of entertainment during the football season. I want a win!

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You can't judge a player's success with one team and apply it to your own team. Prescott's magical year in Dallas guaranteed nothing in Todd Bowles' Florham Park.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If this is remotely true than why not trade Petty ??

Making Petty 3rd on the depth chart hindering his further development, for what?

Trade him for picks you think that can play. What are we attempting to do?

Yup.  Should've traded him when teams called about him this off-season and drafted Peterman.

The last thing a young progressing QB needs is to be a Jet.  Do him a favor and put him in capable hands elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have already sat my sons down (they are 8 and 5 years old) and told them in no uncertain terms that the Jets suck and are not worth the time or effort. My son Sean (5 years old) likes the "Red teams" and Connor thinks football is boring because "all it is is commercials". 

Im very proud of both of them for breaking the cycle of disappointment.

LOL.  This reminds me of the wonderful nickname Browns fans gave their stadium...Factory of Sadness.  I think my son and daughter (teenagers) are casual enough not to be upset about any given game or season, but still close enough in orbit for me to pull them back in if things turn around.  It's dancing on the knife's edge but so far, so good.

Archived