Hack beats out Petty for back up job

AFJF

Just now, jetrider said:

You can't judge a player's success with one team and apply it to your own team. Prescott's magical year in Dallas guarantees nothing in Todd Bowles' Florham Park.

How can you judge a Qb then if not by his success or lack of success. If the draft were today Prescott would be the Qb drafted. And like you say it's not a 100% deal. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Darnold and Rosen neither has that many starts. It was the same thing with Mark Sanchez. Both will probably be good NFL Qbs but they said the same thing about the Cal kid the Rams drafted last season and he wasn't that good. He will probably end up being decent. You don't tank your season for that kind of uncertainty. Esp when nine wins can sometimes get you into the playoffs. And if you get in with the 9 you can win a SB. It's been done before. As for me the Jets are my no. 1 source of entertainment during the football season. I want a win!

Dude, I completely respect your position.  And every year until now that's been me.  For me, personally, this season was a Bridge Too Far.  Having said that, seeing you talk about sneaking into the playoffs at 9-7 and winning a SB with this team makes me admire how early you must have started your pre-gaming :)

Just now, nycdan said:

Dude, I completely respect your position.  And every year until now that's been me.  For me, personally, this season was a Bridge Too Far.  Having said that, seeing you talk about sneaking into the playoffs at 9-7 and winning a SB with this team makes me admire how early you must have started your pre-gaming :)

Look every year there are surprise teams. I didn't like what the Jets did in the off season. Except signing McCown who again I think is better than fans think. But we'll see. If injured today Hack plays. And except for a few very good series during preseason he showed he's not ready to consistently lead the team. Too many 3 and outs and that loses games. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

How can you judge a Qb then if not by his success or lack of success. If the draft were today Prescott would be the Qb drafted. And like you say it's not a 100% deal. 

Because you're judging him after another team already developed him. You missed the point.

Just now, jetrider said:

Because you're judging him after another team already developed him. You missed the point.

IMO most good Qbs will play well with most teams. And if a franchise Qb the OC will adapt to that Qb in terms of the offense. So I think Prescott would do well with most teams. But he's not 100% proven yet. I also don't think our coaching staff is as incompetent as some people say it is. With good players they can win. 

This is a non event.....as soon as I heard it I thought maybe Petty isnt 100% and we ARE going to need him before the year is out. No need to risk further injury in week 1, the other guys just need to handle it. 

As far as telling the press Petty was 100% and could play or be the backup, that's just gamesmanship...no different than any other coach. A lot of people here are just jaded or biased so EVERYTHING Bowles does is the poison fruit.....I can get on him for the things he does wrong but sometimes the stuff people grip about on here is just ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

This is a non event.....as soon as I heard it I thought maybe Petty isnt 100% and we ARE going to need him before the year is out. No need to risk further injury in week 1, the other guys just need to handle it. 

As far as telling the press Petty was 100% and could play or be the backup, that's just gamesmanship...no different than any other coach. A lot of people here are just jaded or biased so EVERYTHING Bowles does is the poison fruit.....I can get on him for the things he does wrong but sometimes the stuff people grip about on here is just ridiculous. 

The faux outrage on here is awful. It also makes some people, who probably DO know the game, look ignorant. 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

The faux outrage on here is awful. It also makes some people, who probably DO know the game, look ignorant. 

It's not outrage at all. It's disgust. If our coach can't make logical decisions based on obvious observations then we have no chance of improving. 

Kneeling with 30 seconds left in the half. Going for 2 with 5 min left in the 3rd, and punting with 4 min left down by 9 are all Todd Bowles M.O. All of these things show a weak spine and low confidence. 

So now we have another year of him then 3 more years to rebuild with a new staff. Bad players are one thing and can be remedied or at least there's hope that young guys can turn it around.

You can't fix stupid coaches. 

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It's not outrage at all. It's disgust. If our coach can't make logical decisions based on obvious observations then we have no chance of improving. 

Kneeling with 30 seconds left in the half. Going for 2 with 5 min left in the 3rd, and punting with 4 min left down by 9 are all Todd Bowles M.O. All of these things show a weak spine and low confidence. 

So now we have another year of him then 3 more years to rebuild with a new staff. Bad players are one thing and can be remedied or at least there's hope that young guys can turn it around.

You can't fix stupid coaches. 

I will never defend Bowles as an in-game manager. He's brutal. But what I was referring to was the people freaking out because Petty is getting another week for his knee. And then to bring up Bowles comments from this week saying he's healthy as some basis for the outrage. You'd think these people never heard of Bill Belichik, who is sort of revered on here by some, and who is also a notorious liar on injury reports. 

The foot stomping over a GREAT Sheldon trade. The temper tantrums over signing Kerley. This thread. And all of this is just from Week 1. 

5 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

I will never defend Bowles as an in-game manager. He's brutal. But what I was referring to was the people freaking out because Petty is getting another week for his knee. And then to bring up Bowles comments from this week saying he's healthy as some basis for the outrage. You'd think these people never heard of Bill Belichik, who is sort of revered on here by some, and who is also a notorious liar on injury reports. 

The foot stomping over a GREAT Sheldon trade. The temper tantrums over signing Kerley. This thread. And all of this is just from Week 1. 

These are people looking for any small bit of hope to cling on to and Bowles takes that away from them.

Since you mentioned Kerley, it would seem that Bowles really does hate him. Let's sign him so we can make sure he doesn't get to play anywhere. 

21 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

These are people looking for any small bit of hope to cling on to and Bowles takes that away from them.

Since you mentioned Kerley, it would seem that Bowles really does hate him. Let's sign him so we can make sure he doesn't get to play anywhere. 

He probably hasnt had time to learn the playbook would be my guess.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yup.  Should've traded him when teams called about him this off-season and drafted Peterman.

The last thing a young progressing QB needs is to be a Jet.  Do him a favor and put him in capable hands elsewhere.

Young and progressing isn't the measurement. Hackenberg progressed from where he was last year. Petty progressed from where he was last year.

That said, the odds are pretty good that neither of them will be a long time starting QB in this league.

Here is the order in which QBs will start for the Jets this year.

1. McCown

2. Petty

3. Hackenberg

All three of them will get a chance. Bowles doesn't owe it to the media or the fans to be honest. Petty needs to get better. The NFL injury report is a joke (see Tom Brady's concussion last year). Petty being full participation in practice doesn't automatically mean that he is healthy enough to play behind this oline if needed. 

I still fail to see the conspiracy here. All I see is a young football team that played some bad football today.

5 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

I wonder if Bowles wanted McCown to start both away games Bills and Raiders and then make the change to Hackenberg for the Home game.

I think they will have to make a change soon. Hopefully it is after the Raiders game, no way do you put a kid in that spot. Making a change for the home opener would be good.

I still think Petty will start a game before Hack this year. But as long as one of the kids gets in there soon, I am good with it.

Only for this team would this be a big deal.  Petty put up his numbers against pre-season backups.  If teams wanted to trade for him, what do you think they offered - a 5th or 6th rounder?  We're a bottom echelon team regardless of which of our scrubs is our starting QB.

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Only for this team would this be a big deal.  Petty put up his numbers against pre-season backups.  If teams wanted to trade for him, what do you think they offered - a 5th or 6th rounder?  We're a bottom echelon team regardless of which of our scrubs is our starting QB.

Yet it is a big deal.  Or did you enjoy watching McCown being efficient with his 7 YPC average today, throwing 2 INTs and 0 TDs and generally looking just good enough to lose a close game to a sh*tty team?

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Yet it is a big deal.  Or did you enjoy watching McCown being efficient with his 7 YPC average today, throwing 2 INTs and 0 TDs and generally looking just good enough to lose a close game to a sh*tty team?

My expectations for this season are pretty much nil.  I have no issue w/ putting Petty in there.  I just don't think very much will change.  We're a sh-tty team with him and a sh-tty team without him.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My expectations for this season are pretty much nil.  I have no issue w/ putting Petty in there.  I just don't think very much will change.  We're a sh-tty team with him and a sh-tty team without him.

I think Hack has the most upside. I have said it a million times, he isn't ready and the odds are pretty good that he doesn't have enough upside.

I think Petty is a nice backup with the upside of a career backup. Good kid with a two dollar chin. He gets hurt too much. 

Petty should be the next man up. Hopefully he rides that shot to a Hall of Fame career. More likely than not, he gets hurt again after 4 games. Which would essentially give Hackenberg a half a season to mature. Then you put Hack in and you have all the data you need going into the draft next year.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Bowles was asked if Petty's injury was a factor in his decision to name Hack the no. 2.  His reply was, "Bryce had a full week of practice".  So again, Bowles says Petty was healthy.

Petty pissed Bowles off, I've already speculated on this. It's true. Guarantee it.

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Petty pissed Bowles off, I've already speculated on this. It's true. Guarantee it.

If true, then why not call it out like it is.  Why doesn't Bowles just say "Bryce was late to too many meetings" or whatever else it is that's putting sand in his tender spots...but pretending it's just about who's better makes him look like a complete idiot (which may in fact be the simple truth).

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Young and progressing isn't the measurement. Hackenberg progressed from where he was last year. Petty progressed from where he was last year.

That said, the odds are pretty good that neither of them will be a long time starting QB in this league.

Here is the order in which QBs will start for the Jets this year.

1. McCown

2. Petty

3. Hackenberg

All three of them will get a chance. Bowles doesn't owe it to the media or the fans to be honest. Petty needs to get better. The NFL injury report is a joke (see Tom Brady's concussion last year). Petty being full participation in practice doesn't automatically mean that he is healthy enough to play behind this oline if needed. 

I still fail to see the conspiracy here. All I see is a young football team that played some bad football today.

There's no conspiracy. Bowles doesn't think far enough ahead to conspire.

Bowles doesn't owe us anything but he should seem competent for his own benefit...and we owe him less than nothing.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If true, then why not call it out like it is.  Why doesn't Bowles just say "Bryce was late to too many meetings" or whatever else it is that's putting sand in his tender spots...but pretending it's just about who's better makes him look like a complete idiot (which may in fact be the simple truth).

Maybe Bowles think he's seen petty's ceiling and it's a back up which at this present moment is better than hack but Hacks potential ceiling is much higher. There's pretty much no need to see petty if this year is about evaluating. 

This is not my opinion but a guess at what the CS is thinking 

I really don't believe it's personal 

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Apparently Kerley really pissed him off.

Sat him on the bench all year then cut him.

Now signed as a free agent just so he could ruin the last good years of his career. 

2 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Maybe Bowles think he's seen petty's ceiling and it's a back up which at this present moment is better than hack but Hacks potential ceiling is much higher. There's pretty much no need to see petty if this year is about evaluating. 

This is not my opinion but a guess at what the CS is thinking 

I really don't believe it's personal 

They already got trade offers for Petty. Maybe that could be a reason.

Explain to me the reason for playing McC, or for possibly getting Hack killed. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think Hack has the most upside. I have said it a million times, he isn't ready and the odds are pretty good that he doesn't have enough upside.

I think Petty is a nice backup with the upside of a career backup. Good kid with a two dollar chin. He gets hurt too much. 

Petty should be the next man up. Hopefully he rides that shot to a Hall of Fame career. More likely than not, he gets hurt again after 4 games. Which would essentially give Hackenberg a half a season to mature. Then you put Hack in and you have all the data you need going into the draft next year.

Agreed

Archived