Hack beats out Petty for back up job

AFJF

I see nothing in Hack. I hope I am wrong but he is a pretty boy statue. Yeah, I watched his agents/family scout film. Nice film, but that isn't what we got.  Tired of the BS of Petty did good against the 3rd and 4th string; when did he get a chance with the ones? Last year was a joke and Turd Bowles pulled all the starters when he  got his chance. Did he pull a Scott Frost with bowles old lady or what? 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Maybe Bowles think he's seen petty's ceiling and it's a back up which at this present moment is better than hack but Hacks potential ceiling is much higher. There's pretty much no need to see petty if this year is about evaluating. 

This is not my opinion but a guess at what the CS is thinking 

I really don't believe it's personal 

I hear you....

But then I say trade him.. Get some value while you can

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

If true, then why not call it out like it is.  Why doesn't Bowles just say "Bryce was late to too many meetings" or whatever else it is that's putting sand in his tender spots...but pretending it's just about who's better makes him look like a complete idiot (which may in fact be the simple truth).

His stance was Petty was part of the Fitz Brigade. Or anyway Ape's guessing he was, from that well-publicized commute and hangout session at the Rangers game with Fitz, Decker, Mangold, and Petty going as a foursome. Pretty fair guess IMO.

I'm not buying the idea that he'd seen enough after last year, and that caused a QB-needy team to give up on a 3rd year kid because of some meh performances in his first NFL action, for a team in disarray, that had already quit, and had already been eliminated, and was down to multiple backup OLmen.

I can see it if he just looked God-awful all summer long, or if his performance in televised games made it too risky for Bowles to back him. Except that wasn't the problem. If anything, that's the problem with Hackenberg. So it looks like there's something more to it.

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Maybe Bowles think he's seen petty's ceiling and it's a back up which at this present moment is better than hack but Hacks potential ceiling is much higher. There's pretty much no need to see petty if this year is about evaluating. 

This is not my opinion but a guess at what the CS is thinking 

I really don't believe it's personal 

Except I don't think Bowles has seen much of anything. I don't believe that the guy went from attending 0 offensive (incl all QB) meetings in 2015 into one who seriously studied and evaluated the nuances of a 2nd year QB. 

What I could believe is he thinks Petty is unreliable from a health standpoint to ever envision relying upon him to be the franchise QB. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees, I can at least sympathize with that stance. It's possible it's all coincidence & bad luck, but unless you accept those as the reasons he does seem fragile despite being a pretty big kid.

I don't think anyone is saying anything truthful about NFL injuries.  Bowles is party of the Parcells/BB School on that.

I think he is saving Petty for later in the year.  Hoping OL  and rest of the team jells a bit.  What Bowles does not realize is that this runaround makes him look silly, but he must not care.

I would not play Petty until McCown knocks himself out.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except I don't think Bowles has seen much of anything. I don't believe that the guy went from attending 0 offensive (incl all QB) meetings in 2015 into one who seriously studied and evaluated the nuances of a 2nd year QB. 

What I could believe is he thinks Petty is unreliable from a health standpoint to ever envision relying upon him to be the franchise QB. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees, I can at least sympathize with that stance. It's possible it's all coincidence & bad luck, but unless you accept those as the reasons he does seem fragile despite being a pretty big kid.

I wonder if he's 'injury-prone' of just unlucky.  I think it's easy to put the label on but early in a guy's career, it might be hasty to do so.  If I recall, his first injury last year was when he got sandwiched between Suh and Wake in Miami.  Not exactly a recipe for good health for any QB.  Then he got hurt more seriously trying to tackle a Patriot after a pick.  The injury this summer was again due to lack of any reasonable protection from his OL resulting in him taking a direct shot.  Not sure if there were any more that I'm missing, but to me the book is still open on whether he's injury-prone or just the victim of some bad protection and one bad decision.  Sam Bradford seemed like a piece of glass for a while but he had a pretty good bounceback year last year with the Vikings.  I have to believe it's more than just concern over his ability to stay healthy that has Bowles locking him in a room and throwing away the room.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I wonder if he's 'injury-prone' of just unlucky.  I think it's easy to put the label on but early in a guy's career, it might be hasty to do so.  If I recall, his first injury last year was when he got sandwiched between Suh and Wake in Miami.  Not exactly a recipe for good health for any QB.  Then he got hurt more seriously trying to tackle a Patriot after a pick.  The injury this summer was again due to lack of any reasonable protection from his OL resulting in him taking a direct shot.  Not sure if there were any more that I'm missing, but to me the book is still open on whether he's injury-prone or just the victim of some bad protection and one bad decision.  Sam Bradford seemed like a piece of glass for a while but he had a pretty good bounceback year last year with the Vikings.  I have to believe it's more than just concern over his ability to stay healthy that has Bowles locking him in a room and throwing away the room.

Yeah, could be. Know who was injury-prone once upon a time? Curtis Martin. Sometimes it is just bad luck and coincidence. But I think in the face of that, the team needs to make other arrangements in case it isn't just bad luck.

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The injury concerns are a huge part of the Petty formula right now. He will get a chance to shake it. A lot of people say well he got hit hard a bunch.

Guess what that is the first interview question for any potential Jets QB. Can you take a big hit and get up?

Eli has played in 200 straight games for the Giants. Dude gets mauled some times. Always gets up.

25 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Bowels needs to apologize for not starting Petty and his terrible game management.

Bowles doesn't need to apologize for anything. What he has to do involves figuring out how to improve this team, otherwise he will get fired. Either way he doesn't have to apologize. He just might have some extra time next year lol.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

The injury concerns are a huge part of the Petty formula right now. He will get a chance to shake it. A lot of people say well he got hit hard a bunch.

Guess what that is the first interview question for any potential Jets QB. Can you take a big hit and get up?

Eli has played in 200 straight games for the Giants. Dude gets mauled some times. Always gets up.

In college, Curtis Martin was brittle/injury prone and Chad Pennington was an iron man.

Make of that what you will :) 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In college, Curtis Martin was brittle/injury prone and Chad Pennington was an iron man.

Make of that what you will :) 

Well I am basing Petty's injury concerns based on his experience in the Pro's so far. He got hurt 3 or 4 times last year in very limited action.

Just now, Maxman said:

Well I am basing Petty's injury concerns based on his experience in the Pro's so far. He got hurt 3 or 4 times last year in very limited action.

It's not a good track record. It could be a few fluke injuries, but I can understand a team making other arrangements even if he started to show something this year.

Whats all the crying about? Who gives a rat's azz about who the back-up is? We just lost a crappy game to a division rival who will probably be in contention for that elusive top draft pick everyone has been raving about. Look at it this way friends and neighbors: 1 step closer to that #1 pick most have been salivating over. We all knew it would be this way. Stop your whining, grab a drink, and lets all watch it go down.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Young and progressing isn't the measurement. Hackenberg progressed from where he was last year. Petty progressed from where he was last year.

That said, the odds are pretty good that neither of them will be a long time starting QB in this league.

Here is the order in which QBs will start for the Jets this year.

1. McCown

2. Petty

3. Hackenberg

All three of them will get a chance. Bowles doesn't owe it to the media or the fans to be honest. Petty needs to get better. The NFL injury report is a joke (see Tom Brady's concussion last year). Petty being full participation in practice doesn't automatically mean that he is healthy enough to play behind this oline if needed. 

I still fail to see the conspiracy here. All I see is a young football team that played some bad football today.

Hack improved in one area.  He went from being able to do sbsolutely nothing right, to being able to complete a swing pass.

Petty went from bad to much better, doing several things you would expect a competent NFL QB to be able to do.  Huge difference.

Juat like Powell vs Forte.  Powell is better by a million miles, but Forte is the starter because that's how Bowles rolls.

How is Petty the mext man up if McCown broke his ribs in the first drive last night?

No conspitacy.  Just incompetence.

Hopefully somebody steps in and forces Bowles to stack the depth chart starting from the best players to the worst players in descending order.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Whats all the crying about? Who gives a rat's azz about who the back-up is? We just lost a crappy game to a division rival who will probably be in contention for that elusive top draft pick everyone has been raving about. Look at it this way friends and neighbors: 1 step closer to that #1 pick most have been salivating over. We all knew it would be this way. Stop your whining, grab a drink, and lets all watch it go down.

Some of us were hoping g the head coach had a clue.  He doesn't, and he probably gets another year after this.  That's why.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Hack improved in one area.  He went from being able to do sbsolutely nothing right, to being able to complete a swing pass.

Petty went from bad to much better, doing several things you would expect a competent NFL QB to be able to do.  Huge difference.

Juat like Powell vs Forte.  Powell is better by a million miles, but Forte is the starter because that's how Bowles rolls.

How is Petty the mext man up if McCown broke his ribs in the first drive last night?

No conspitacy.  Just incompetence.

Hopefully somebody steps in and forces Bowles to stack the depth chart starting from the best players to the worst players in descending order.

Well the sooner Petty gets in, the sooner we can all start taking about how he isn't the long term answer. So I'm all for it. The same thing probably goes for Hack. This is one of the worst rosters the Jets have ever had the backup QB and kicker really wont change too much lol.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well the sooner Petty gets in, the sooner we can all start taking about how he isn't the long term answer. So I'm all for it. The same thing probably goes for Hack. This is one of the worst rosters the Jets have ever had the backup QB and kicker really wont change too much lol.

Even Petty comes in and looks as bad as Geno Smith, it doesn't change the idea that the head coach should reward the players who play the best by treating them as such. I see now that Bowles has no interest in doing that.  He coaches scared on and off the field.  Forte over Powell and Hack over Petty on a team whose number one issue is that the offense stinks.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

It's hard, but I will try to watch the games with this mindset. Really have no choice.

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

If true, then why not call it out like it is.  Why doesn't Bowles just say "Bryce was late to too many meetings" or whatever else it is that's putting sand in his tender spots...but pretending it's just about who's better makes him look like a complete idiot (which may in fact be the simple truth).

He's keeping it internal. Why would he put that out to the media?

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He's keeping it internal. Why would he put that out to the media?

Because if you're TB, saying this was based on their preseason performance makes you look incompetent to anyone who has at least one working eye, and he should absolutely be polishing his image for his next job interview, not making himself look stupid.  And I don't believe for a moment he's doing it to protect Petty from embarrassment.  At this rate, the only job he'll be up for next year is Dancing with the Stars.

47 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Even Petty comes in and looks as bad as Geno Smith, it doesn't change the idea that the head coach should reward the players who play the best by treating them as such. I see now that Bowles has no interest in doing that.  He coaches scared on and off the field.  Forte over Powell and Hack over Petty on a team whose number one issue is that the offense stinks.

*as good as Geno Smith.

Petty would need to improve to reach the level of Geno Smith.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Some of us were hoping g the head coach had a clue.  He doesn't, and he probably gets another year after this.  That's why.

Actually, in my plans to get the number 1 pick, Bowles was the critical element. If this team had any chance of pulling out close victories Bowles would be the man to punt on 4th and 8 down 9 as time ran out. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

No. The head coach should do what he thinks gives the team the best chance to eventually win the Super Bowl. So if he is convinced that Bryce Petty can never be that guy he would be right in making him the # 3 QB. I am not saying that is what is going on here. But in your scenario there are these hard and fast rules, they could have an AI program coach the team. Now I think we will all agree that if it was a top AI program then the Jets would be better off. But that is another topic (that would actually make a good thread lol). We all know McCown isn't going to win anything, so he is a stop gap to help the offensive line and take pressure off the kids (whoever is next).

Forte is done. But Powell always gets hurt as well. So I think they are limiting his load which is smart. If Powell could be a 16 game x 20 carries a game back that would be great. Then it would be a no-brainer. But it isn't that simple.

I don't agree that he coaches scared. The guy blitzes more than anyone. If they went for it on 4th and long they were going to lose. McCown has a 2.8 passer rating under pressure. Bufallo would have blitzed, incomplete and game over. So in that scenario they were going to lose that game either way. He went with the plan that he felt gave them a .004% chance better of winning.

The kicker he picked had a good game, so at least there is that. :)

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Because if you're TB, saying this was based on their preseason performance makes you look incompetent to anyone who has at least one working eye, and he should absolutely be polishing his image for his next job interview, not making himself look stupid.  And I don't believe for a moment he's doing it to protect Petty from embarrassment.  At this rate, the only job he'll be up for next year is Dancing with the Stars.

If you're TB and saying you don't want to give Petty the job because he made you mad last year makes you look worse.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Is this something we're making up, or was Petty actually late to meetings?

I don't know where the "late to meetings" thing came from. I'm going on my theory from another thread, about Petty being the last of the pro-Fitz mutiny members last year.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Is this something we're making up, or was Petty actually late to meetings?

Petty wasn't late, I think they are running with the theoretical post made earlier in this thread. But there is no way Petty is in trouble because of discipline issues, he is a good dude who works hard. Him being ready for camp after the surgery he had is a testament to that.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

No. The head coach should do what he thinks gives the team the best chance to eventually win the Super Bowl. So if he is convinced that Bryce Petty can never be that guy he would be right in making him the # 3 QB. I am not saying that is what is going on here. But in your scenario there are these hard and fast rules, they could have an AI program coach the team. Now I think we will all agree that if it was a top AI program then the Jets would be better off. But that is another topic (that would actually make a good thread lol). We all know McCown isn't going to win anything, so he is a stop gap to help the offensive line and take pressure off the kids (whoever is next).

Forte is done. But Powell always gets hurt as well. So I think they are limiting his load which is smart. If Powell could be a 16 game x 20 carries a game back that would be great. Then it would be a no-brainer. But it isn't that simple.

I don't agree that he coaches scared. The guy blitzes more than anyone. If they went for it on 4th and long they were going to lose. McCown has a 2.8 passer rating under pressure. Bufallo would have blitzed, incomplete and game over. So in that scenario they were going to lose that game either way. He went with the plan that he felt gave them a .004% chance better of winning.

The kicker he picked had a good game, so at least there is that. :)

Honest question...do you think Bowles has ever made a poor decision?

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't know where the "late to meetings" thing came from. I'm going on my theory from another thread, about Petty being the last of the pro-Fitz mutiny members last year.

Wasn't Bowles the first one to stand up and tell the media Fitz was his starter?

Just now, AFJF said:

Honest question...do you think Bowles has ever made a poor decision?

Yes.  I am not like one of those guys that defended Rex no matter what. I think there is a very good chance Bowles is getting fired at the end of this year. Some things he has done that drive me crazy are:

1. Announcing that Fitz was his starting QB after the first year when Fitz wasn't under contract. I didn't think it would play out the way it did, at the time it seemed to me like a throw away comment but it definitely cost the Jets $.

2. Sticking with Ryan Fitzpatrick as long as he did last year. Big mistake.

3. Having Chris Ivory active for the season finale in his first year. Then not using him. Except for the time he used him and he dominated. Was he hurt? Was he not hurt? Why was he active?

4. Bringing Kacy Rodgers back this year. If Bowles is still going to call the plays (they are sharing it which is beyond stupid) then why not make the DC pay for the terrible year. He shouldn't be here.

5. Letting veterans like Muhammad and Sheldon get away with too much. (This one I think --- hope --- he has corrected). 

I also think he has corrected # 1 and that is why he is how he is with the media today.

I am willing to let the backup QB situation play out and I defer to them on the kicker. Bowles got criticized for letting Martin go, yet nobody picked Martin up. For the QB situation it isn't exactly Joe Montana and Steve Young he is choosing between.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Petty wasn't late, I think they are running with the theoretical post made earlier in this thread. But there is no way Petty is in trouble because of discipline issues, he is a good dude who works hard. Him being ready for camp after the surgery he had is a testament to that.

Yeah sorry, that was entirely a hypothetical because I have no idea what actually put Petty in the doghouse.  However, what I see is a guy who was inconsistent as hell last year, but plays hard, improved this year and still can't sniff the field in favor of a guy who is far less capable at this time.  So if there is no 'mysterious grudge' then all I have is that Bowles is just a stubborn idiot because he's not providing any rational explanation for it to the contrary.  If it's true that two teams have inquired about him, it would appear at least two teams agree.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Yeah sorry, that was entirely a hypothetical because I have no idea what actually put Petty in the doghouse.  However, what I see is a guy who was inconsistent as hell last year, but plays hard, improved this year and still can't sniff the field in favor of a guy who is far less capable at this time.  So if there is no 'mysterious grudge' then all I have is that Bowles is just a stubborn idiot because he's not providing any rational explanation for it to the contrary.  If it's true that two teams have inquired about him, it would appear at least two teams agree.

Please never apologize for anything that creates additional posts on this board. Those are viewed as good things, especially during seasons like this. :)

Archived