**** TANKWATCH 2017 - THE HUNT FOR A QB ****

ZachEY

Just now, Tinstar said:

I just think you enjoy the argument part of the conversation like some folks enjoy sex .

One doesn't need to be a lawyer for this to be true.

But since you bring it up, you're framing your statement as though fewer than half the people - "some folks" - enjoy sex. 

Back to your statement, if we take a QB #1 overall, he should be starting not sucking a binky while we start Bryce Petty in his stead. The same Bryce Petty they wouldn't start over Josh McCown and tried their hardest to bury behind Hackenberg.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Not impressed with Rosen or Darnold so far. Maybe they will change my mind as the season goes. Jackson is interesting. 

Never really watched Mahomes last year so can't comment on that, and can't give Roesen to much credit beating up on Hawaii on the mainland, but did you watch the show Darnold put on vs a 16th ranked Stanford last night?

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

week 1.jpg

Love it or hate it or living in denial of it, there's a strong chance the Jets are in contention for the #1 overall pick come seasons end.  

Week 1 thus far:

Jets lose.

Bills win.

Jags win.

Browns lose, but play Steelers tight.

Bears lose, but play ATL tight.

The 49ers may be worse than all of us.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

He has bust written all over him. 

Some people, like Joe willy, fall in love with guys like Mayfield because they want to be contrarian to the Darnold/Rosen crew and think that winning big in college always translates to the NFL and ignores Mayfields size and other negative. I am  not suggesting Mayfield can't become a franchise QB (there are 7-8 guys in every NFL draft that COULD  be a franchise QB), but he will be lucky to be the 6th QB taken in next years draft. Could he  be the next Wilson or Cousins? I guess, but this team isn't tanking for a 6'1 QB that has played most of his career from the shotgun. 

21 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

The 49ers may be worse than all of us.

Firmly believe that Shanny Jr. is gonna push for Cousins.  I also still don't think they're worse than us.  They lost to the Panthers, a good team that ran into some bad luck last year with injuries and bad bounces.  We lost to a team also trying to tank.  Badly.

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Who else IS in the QB Race?

49ers

Bears

Jaguars

Bills

Browns

Who else?

The Colts could be in the race for the top pick and then force us or another team to trade them our entire draft for the top pick. We need to finish with the worst record and luckily Bowles is the man to take us to that outcome. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Colts could be in the race for the top pick and then force us or another team to trade them our entire draft for the top pick. We need to finish with the worst record and luckily Bowles is the man to take us to that outcome. 

We literally HAVE to lose every single game.  We basically don't have a choice.  We HAVE to lose.

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Who else IS in the QB Race?

49ers

Bears

Jaguars

Bills

Browns

Who else?

Definitely the Colts. Front runners in my view. My personal theory is that Luck is WAY more injured than they are letting on, so Irsay put in the tank order again.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Some people, like Joe willy, fall in love with guys like Mayfield because they want to be contrarian to the Darnold/Rosen crew and think that winning big in college always translates to the NFL and ignores Mayfields size and other negative. I am  not suggesting Mayfield can't become a franchise QB (there are 7-8 guys in every NFL draft that COULD  be a franchise QB), but he will be lucky to be the 6th QB taken in next years draft. Could he  be the next Wilson or Cousins? I guess, but this team isn't tanking for a 6'1 QB that has played most of his career from the shotgun. 

He's not even 6'1. Might not even be 6'0 even.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Firmly believe that Shanny Jr. is gonna push for Cousins.  I also still don't think they're worse than us.  They lost to the Panthers, a good team that ran into some bad luck last year with injuries and bad bounces.  We lost to a team also trying to tank.  Badly.

I like your positivity...I'll believe the Jets earn the #1 overall when I see it...lol...first time in decades I'm actually sorta/kinda happy the Jets lost.

The Browns probably lose another one, and the Bills probably drop to 1 and 1.  Got to root for the Colts here, but unlikely they pull it off.  Titans vs. Jags is a win/win either way, but for now, lets go Jags.  Maybe the Bears can steal one from the Bucs?  Dolphins vs. Chargers is a win/win here, but be happy to see the Chargers get the win, though they looked good enough last night that I don't think they'll be involved.  Jets will get destroyed by the Raiders.  Redskins vs. Rams is a win/win, but lets get a second for the Rams and put them way out ahead.  49ers will remain heavy in the hunt as they should get destroyed by the Seahawks.

Even if we don't end up liking the QB's at the top of the draft, it's undeniable that having the # 1 or 2 pick gives you enormous draft capital with which to move down and pick up multiple quality picks. 

Tanking properly is essential this year, regardless of who is on the board or even who the GM is making the decisions. 

Thus, this is a good thread. 

Obviously the best best case is that we have the #1 and are coy about which of the QBs we favor.  It might be possible in such a case to BOTH get our guy AND pick up some additional picks along the way....

One can only dream... fap fap fap

19 minutes ago, Brady's a catcher said:

I know. Why in a year in which we are truly, unquestionably awful are there 4-5 similarly wretched teams? Because "Jets", that's why. It's a lifestyle. Or a deathstyle. A long, slow deathstyle.

Amazing isn't it? Usually 2 teams vying for the worst & here we are vying with like 6 teams. Hell, maybe it's for the better as I would not be one bit surprised Jets get #1 & pick the WRONG GUY! Might be better to be at #3 and take whichever guy gets bypassed (Rosen or Allen) and hope for the best! There are a lot of Allen fans in the scouting community. Guy playing on a woefully outgunned squad. 

I would be happy with any of those 3! So we have to be at least the 3rd worst record.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Amazing isn't it? Usually 2 teams vying for the worst & here we are vying with like 6 teams. Hell, maybe it's for the better as I would not be one bit surprised Jets get #1 & pick the WRONG GUY! Might be better to be at #3 and take whichever guy gets bypassed (Rosen or Allen) and hope for the best! There are a lot of Allen fans in the scouting community. Guy playing on a woefully outgunned squad. 

I would be happy with any of those 3! So we have to be at least the 3rd worst record.

That's true, hadn't even thought of that. we'd be much more likely to end up with RG3 if it's up to us to make a decision. Must be nice to have a GM that you believe to be a competent talent evaluater.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if we don't end up liking the QB's at the top of the draft, it's undeniable that having the # 1 or 2 pick gives you enormous draft capital with which to move down and pick up multiple quality picks. 

Tanking properly is essential this year, regardless of who is on the board or even who the GM is making the decisions. 

Thus, this is a good thread. 

To me, there are 4 relevant questions here (with answers):

1)  Will the Jets draft in at least the top 3 this year, which should get them a potential franchise QB?  As of Week 1, we are on track!

2)  Do the Jets have a QB or 2 on the roster that should cause them to avoid having to pay money they could use elsewhere to sign a veteran bridge QB?  I think Petty looks good enough to start next year while the draftee gets acclimated.  Hopefully Hack could be there too.

3)  Is their evidence that the current Jets brass could be entrusted to get at least another year to coach, develop and pick players?  Based on Week 2, absolutely not.

4)  For going forward, how bad does the Jets roster look for 2018?  Really flipping bad.  I would be cutting or trading players for cap space, although I think foolishly Macc is now stuck with some veteran salaries that he could have shed.  This is Exhibit A to Question/Answer 3.  At a minimum, for a functional offense at this point we need WR1, RB1 and 2, LT and C.   Some of these should have been accumulated in the last draft.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

To me, there are 4 relevant questions here (with answers):

1)  Will the Jets draft in at least the top 3 this year, which should get them a potential franchise QB?  As of Week 1, we are on track!

2)  Do the Jets have a QB or 2 on the roster that should cause them to avoid having to pay money they could use elsewhere to sign a veteran bridge QB?  I think Petty looks good enough to start next year while the draftee gets acclimated.  Hopefully Hack could be there too.

3)  Is their evidence that the current Jets brass could be entrusted to get at least another year to coach, develop and pick players?  Based on Week 2, absolutely not.

4)  For going forward, how bad does the Jets roster look for 2018?  Really flipping bad.  I would be cutting or trading players for cap space, although I think foolishly Macc is now stuck with some veteran salaries that he could have shed.  This is Exhibit A to Question/Answer 3.  At a minimum, for a functional offense at this point we need WR1, RB1 and 2, LT and C.   Some of these should have been accumulated in the last draft.  

Other than Mo what veteran salaries is he stuck with large cap hits? Skrine & Forte will be gone. And he'd save 11 million cutting Mo with I believe an 8 million cap hit. So after trading Sheldon, and possibly cutting Kearse next offseason (5 million), Jets would be approximately 85/95 million dollars under the cap.

17 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Obviously the best best case is that we have the #1 and are coy about which of the QBs we favor.  It might be possible in such a case to BOTH get our guy AND pick up some additional picks along the way....

One can only dream... fap fap fap

Given our disastrous history, both on the field and in the war room, the absolute last thing in the universe any of us should hope for is for the Jets to get cute. In fact, I don't even want Macc (or whatever poor SOB is our GM next year) to do anything other than select the consensus #1 QB prospect available. Yes I trust Todd McShay over *Generic Jets GM.

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It's only week 2 - plenty of these teams are going to win games and we'll only be discussing 2-3 teams by mid-season, I'd guess.

Archived