Bowles Lives on Another World

TheSage

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

So just to hammer home how absolutely clueless Todd Bowles is, this is what he said about punting:

"We thought we could stop them and the the ball back. That simple"

Holy hell. Seriously Todd?

Todd you are down by 2 scores. You need to stop them not once but twice. TWICE as it one more than one. 

You have 4 minutes left. So basically to stop losing 2 minutes of clock you have to burn all three timeouts and stop 3 runs for less than 10 yards. Then score with no timeouts, and field an onsides kick, and then score again with no timeouts.

If you go for it and make the first down you have a realistic chance of winning, but if you miss (and here is the big one you fuuucking idiot)

THE SITUATION IS ALMOST THE SAME AS IF YOU HAD PUNTED, since they will not risk throwing and you still have 3 timeouts.

So essentially, the 4th down try was FREE

Bowles seriously does not understand the basics of game and time management. Just fire him tonight. Not joking. Between the McCLown decision, the Hack backup decision, the complete lack of game planning or adjustments and the punting decision it is not possible to in inverse "coach speech" to "give your team less chance to win"

OMG

If this was the first time it could be considered a mistake. The idiot announcers that we get for being so bad even knew it was 4 down territory. 

I told my girl that we would be punting and I walked out onto my deck. Come get me if they don't punt. She didn't come get me.

I've never seen a coach regress like Bowles has.  He took a veteran team to 10-6 in his first year even if they did have a very easy schedule.  I felt last year he was dealt a bad hand and this year the personnel moves didn't favor him.  However him punting on fourth down with four minutes to go and down by two scores baffles me. 

The problem is the owner of this team.  When you have a power structure set up like he does (even if he is across the pond now) you will never find good coaches and GMs to come to the team and even if you do they cannot be successful. 

Like somebody else said, this is the second time he's done something like this- punt with four minutes left when he's down by more than one score.

Bowles seems WAY to confident in his defense's ability to make a stop when it counts, and moreover he has far too LITTLE confidence in his offense in these same scenarios. In his head it was more likely that his defense could make two stops than his offense could overcome a 4th and long. I don't know if I disagree with that sentiment, but I'd still try to convert anyway.

Archived