Jets’ Bowles isn’t Trying to Tank, it Just Looks That way

JetNation

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Why do you think Bowles is trying to win games? Unless he spent the summer on Mars, even he knows the Jets NEED to lose this season. In fact, if he went for it on 4th and the Jets pulled out a miracle win, it would be grounds for termination.

That's why I qualified my statement.  The question is, do you believe Bowles is 'in on the tank'?  I was happy enough with the loss, but I'd be happier if I felt like we had a smart HC to continue building with.  IMO we don't.  His being bad at his job serves a different purpose but hardly qualifies him to continue once we acquire a QB who he'll never play anyway.

47 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there is, if you understand his objective.  he knows he has a bad team.  his goal is to keep the score as close as possible, it makes him look better, and (at least in his mind) gives him a better shot of keeping his job.  he would rather lose by 9, and punt, then take a chance, go for it on 4h down and try to score, while simultaneously giving the bills a better chance to score at least a fg if they do not convert the 4th down.  he is conceding defeat in an effort to make his coaching efforts look respectable via the relatively closer final score.

there is no way bowles should be allowed to have any influence on the next jets qb.  we can debate whether there should also be a new gm, that's fair.  but i'd rather have a new hc than gm, and let mccags pick a hc who can groom a qb.  

Yeah I've accepted that Bowles is purely in job-preservation mode. It's possible he saw our chances as zero even if he gave us a theoretical chance, and chose the route of locking in a loss by less. Doubtful, but sure it's possible in the same way that defensive-minded coaches love a ball control offense.

To your last paragraph, I'd rather have either both or neither (and I don't want both). Maccagnan doesn't deserve 3 more years after back to back seasons with 5 of fewer wins. Having him hire his own HC gives him 2-3 more years. If we're keeping Maccagnan, we might as well keep Bowles to prevent this additional tragedy.

That is, unless you want to forcefeed his HC and his latest round of terrible picks and FA pickups and blown-through cap space onto our next GM, a la Rex/Idzik. That should bring in all the best GM candidates, right?

Clearly, the best thing is to give a competent, new GM full control right after this season. This GM gets a clean slate, a built in ultra-mulligan after the last 2 Jets seasons where anything he does is accepted by the masses in comparison (like Macc, following Idzik), $80-100m (or whatever it is) in first year cap room alone when we've finished cutting ties with the likes of Skrine, Forte, Ijalana, McLendon, maybe Beachum depending on how he looks by then, maybe Mo... plus he gets a top 3 pick (if not #1 overall) in what's allegedly the best QB class in oh so many years, plus Seattle's 2nd rounder, and a little thing of bringing in his own HC to make his moves look good (if he isn't the HC himself).

Why waste all that job attraction on a total zero / total failure / total nobody like Mike Maccagnan? Just because he was once recommended by the same ex-GM who recommended we hire Todd Bowles?

Ask yourself how likely it is that someone else would hire Maccagnan to be their team's GM if the Jets fired him after this season.

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ask yourself how likely it is that someone else would hire Maccagnan to be their team's GM if the Jets fired him after this season.

Substitute Idzik for Maccagnan in that question.  Not a GM but he is getting paychecks for 'consulting'.  The mind boggles.

4 hours ago, prime21 said:

He basically said, without saying it, that they probably wouldn't get the 1st down and Buffalo would probably get the fg yardage needed and make it a 3 score game.  More than likely the Jets were going to lose the game either way however e decided trying to keep it at two scores with a miracle needed was better than no chance with a 3 score lead.   It boils down to not having any confidence in his O or his defense in that situation.  

Since when is a 12 point game a 3 score deficit?

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sometimes the smart play is to take the 9 point loss. It was a good loss for this group. They go for it on 4th down and don't get it (which was the likely result), then the Bills ram it down the Jets throat for 7 more points and suddenly a respectable 21-12 loss turns into a 28-12 beat down.  

I think this is exactly it.  The name of the game is to lose by 10 points or less.   The irony is that, with better defensive play, they Jets were more in that game.   I am trying to decide if it was all coaching or just lack of personnel to defend against McCoy and Clay.  Even if personnel Bowles picked them.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

You joke, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we wind up picking say, 5th, and choose a 1st round Cornerback over say, the 3rd rated QB in the Draft.

That would so Jets.

This is definitely possible with Maccagnan, but not likely with someone else.  And we ain't picking 5th with this team and CS-1,2 or 3.

On another note, I don't feel the same vitriol re Petty being QB3 and inactive.  I don't think he is ready.  Maybe they are warehousing him to be traded.  I don't think even they are that stupid.

The plan is working to perfection.  With Hack out there everyone cringed.  McCown looked professional-throwing very short passes-and losing.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

In a non-tanking situation, taking a 'good loss' should never be preferable to trying to win a game.  Same point can be made about taking a knee at the end of the first half.  30 seconds is plenty of time if you throw the ball downfield more than 8 yards.

to be fair..when they did it ended with 2 interceptions..which are totally understand from a 38 year old kid playing his 1st game.

2 hours ago, jpoppy717 said:

I have to think he lost track of the score and/or couldn't do the math to realize Jets were down two scores.  Because there is no way this makes any sense down nine.  Down eight, still the twong move, but I can understand the logic.  

He does the same thing every time. I was so sure we would punt that i went out on the deck without seeing it.

It's no worse of a mistake that we were still taking 40 sec between plays with 9 minutes left. There is no sense of urgency with this man.

I'm not sure if he just takes this even temperament thing to an extreme, if he's on lithium, or he's just naturally disconnected from reality.

Archived