Jets Opener Isn’t Total Loss; A Look at who Stepped up

JetNation

IMG_3635.jpg

WARNING: This article contains positive opinions regarding the performance of multiple New York Jets players during their 2017 season opening loss to the Buffalo Bills.

Any Jets fan who expected the 2017 version of this franchise to have any realistic chance at winning more than a few games this season should not have their loyalty to this team questioned.  Their sanity perhaps, but not their loyalty.

The day this team cut ties with its most accomplished wide receiver in Eric Decker, during a time at which developing their young quarterbacks was supposed to be paramount, the writing was on the wall.  The 2017 season is not going to be about competing, but about giving young players a chance to audition for future seasons.

That audition started yesterday, so let’s take a look at some of the youngsters who fared well:

DL Leonard Williams: No real surprise here as Williams came away with four tackles and a pair of quarterback hits.  According to PFF.com, Williams was the Jets’ highest rated defender at 83.6 on the day.

OLB Josh Martin: If not for the diminutive Tyrod Taylor ducking under a rush up the middle from Martin, the special teamer turned starter would have had 1.5 sacks on the day, but he still finished with a half sack and 3.5 tackles for loss.  Martin showed the potential to be the presence off the edge that the Jets have lacked for years as he spent a lot of time in Buffalo’s backfield.

RT Brandon Shell: Coming in to the game there was some question as to who would start at right tackle and Shell got the nod.  As a whole, the unit performed rather poorly, but Shell allowed just one QB pressure in facing a formidable Bills defensive line.  It was only his fourth start as a pro, but Shell looks to be heading toward be the team’s long-term solution at right tackle.

CB Juston Burris: His interception in the back of the end zone brought the Bills’ first drive to a halt, and if not for the fact that teammate Marcus Maye was shoved in to him, he looked to be on his way to a 100+ yard INT return for a touchdown.  It wasn’t just the one play either.  According to pro football focus, Burris played 21 pass snaps and didn’t allow a single reception.

IMG_5997-1-300x245.jpg

Jets second year cornerback Juston Burris didn’t yield a single completion and came away with Gang Green’s first interception of the year.

DL Kony Ealy: The 25-year old Ealy had Tyrod Taylor on the run quite a few times as he applied pressure from the edge.  He also came away with a pass defended and a tackle for loss.  The late addition who was let go by the Patriots looks to be a possible steal for Gang Green.

WR Jermaine Kearse: Another recent acquisition, Kearse did a nice job of creating enough separation to allow Josh McCown to find him seven times for 59 yards.  An encouraging start for a duo that has had such a short to work together.

IMG_5844-300x214.jpg

Jamal Adams showed some of the instincts and explosiveness that made him the 6th overall pick.

S Jamal Adams: The first round draft choice didn’t make any game-changing plays, but on multiple occasions we saw his outstanding first step toward the ball and how quickly he can close the gap to make a stop before a receiver can get going with the ball in his hands.  He also appeared to be targeting ball carriers closer to the waist whereas his pre-season struggles were largely related to him attempting too many ankle tackles.  In all, Adams had five solo tackles and one for a loss.  Not a bad debut.

OLB Jordan Jenkins: Jenkins finished with just four tackles, but he won’t put up big individual numbers given his role on Bowles’ defense.  While Buffalo ran the ball extremely well against the Jets, the majority of that came up the middle or opposite Jenkins’ side. On a few occasions it even appeared as if the Bills running backs were cutting runs back toward the middle when Jenkins’ side was sealed off.  Just how well he did will be easier to determine when game film becomes available later in the week.

It’s only a handful of players and it’s only one week, and nobody is saying any of the players mentioned were perfect. But in a season that’s all about the development of young players, there were some encouraging signs in Buffalo yesterday.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
_OgwE2oIJIU

Click here to read the full story...

This season will mean the board is 99% bitching during a re-build, so for those of us trying to focus on the big picture and what this season is about (player development), I thought this would be a good idea.

9 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Will tye had a couple nice plays.

edwards had a 43.7 yd net and a few punts inside the 20.

pennel looks like a useful player

Tye could have easily made the list but left him off because he got blown up a few times as a blocker.  Still think he sticks when ASJ comes back, though.

Edwards was outstanding but left him off becuase he had the one shank.  His issue isn't leg strength, it's consistency.  If he gets that down, he'll be a damn good punter.

Almost included Pennel but harder to focus on those interior lineman w/o all 22.

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

Will tye had a couple nice plays.

edwards had a 43.7 yd net and a few punts inside the 20.

pennel looks like a useful player

His poor blocking is why he was cut by the Giants. But he'll make a good backup until Leggette gets some chances. 

I don't think we can over state the play of Josh Martin.  He played a GREAT game.  Now, I would not anoint him as our pass rush, but if we can find a good OLB next year to pair with him, and move Ealy up onto the line, we have a great start there.

I am REALLY surprised at just how bad Lee has been.  Good player in college.  Makes me wonder if Rogers and Bowles have misused him and his confidence has completely been shattered.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

i thought Tomlinson looked pretty good too in limited snaps. Would add Ardarius Stewart he seems to be a future solid started at WR minimum for this team.

Only didn't add Stewart because not many targets and a drop IIRC.  Still had a solid game.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

This season will mean the board is 99% bitching during a re-build, so for those of us trying to focus on the big picture and what this season is about (player development), I thought this would be a good idea.

I like it.

3 hours ago, JetNation said:

CB Juston Burris: His interception in the back of the end zone brought the Bills’ first drive to a halt, and if not for the fact that teammate Marcus Maye was shoved in to him, he looked to be on his way to a 100+ yard INT return for a touchdown.  It wasn’t just the one play either.  According to pro football focus, Burris played 21 pass snaps and didn’t allow a single reception.

IMG_5997-1-300x245.jpg

Jets second year cornerback Juston Burris didn’t yield a single completion and came away with Gang Green’s first interception of the year

Can someone please explain why Burris is playing behind the way overpaid Buster Skrine, who won't even be here come Feb. 1?

3 minutes ago, Freemanm said:
3 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_5997-1-300x245.jpg

Jets second year cornerback Juston Burris didn’t yield a single completion and came away with Gang Green’s first interception of the year

Can someone please explain why Burris is playing behind the way overpaid Buster Skrine, who won't even be here come Feb. 1?

Skrine has more experience and makes more money.  Bowles gonna' Bowles.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Skrine has more experience and makes more money.  Bowles gonna' Bowles.

That's Bowles' reasoning? And he's wondering why people are calling for his head... If you're going to rebuild and see who you want to keep on the roster next year, you play guys like Burris. Skrine is done. He should go start that tae-bow gym or whatever that he's been talking about for so long. 

Amazing to me that most of the (few) key contributors yesterday were not even a thought, or on this team last year and most were not drafted by Mac. Tye, Ealy, Kearse, Catanzaro all played well. Adams played ok, but the rest? That defense is an abomination. Mo and Leo were still on holiday and appear to have quit before the season started. They used to stop the run at least, but no more. There were holes that I could have run through. Cover a TE? LMAO. This is supposed to be a defensive guru HC, yet we endure year 3 of the same $hit, still can't cover a TE, still can't get off of the field on 3rd down, still never EVER make a play or stop to win a game late, and now introducing the new Broadway play "Can't stop the run to save our collective arses". The drive immediately after we climbed Mount Everest to score our lone TD was a joke and emblematic of the Todd Bowltite regime. They put the game away right after we almost tied it up. I knew right there it was time to go out to the gym because we will not be able to manage more than 1 TD per game with this conservative, scared chicken $hit outfit coaching staff. And I blame our new OC as much as the HC, his play selection was hideous. One long pass attempt throughout the entire game. They stacked the LOS all game long and due to our subpar OL, we had no shot. This will be a recurring theme for the next 16 weeks. Yay.

22 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Amazing to me that most of the (few) key contributors yesterday were not even a thought, or on this team last year and most were not drafted by Mac. Tye, Ealy, Kearse, Catanzaro all played well. Adams played ok, but the rest? That defense is an abomination. Mo and Leo were still on holiday and appear to have quit before the season started. They used to stop the run at least, but no more. There were holes that I could have run through. Cover a TE? LMAO. This is supposed to be a defensive guru HC, yet we endure year 3 of the same $hit, still can't cover a TE, still can't get off of the field on 3rd down, still never EVER make a play or stop to win a game late, and now introducing the new Broadway play "Can't stop the run to save our collective arses". The drive immediately after we climbed Mount Everest to score our lone TD was a joke and emblematic of the Todd Bowltite regime. They put the game away right after we almost tied it up. I knew right there it was time to go out to the gym because we will not be able to manage more than 1 TD per game with this conservative, scared chicken $hit outfit coaching staff. And I blame our new OC as much as the HC, his play selection was hideous. One long pass attempt throughout the entire game. They stacked the LOS all game long and due to our subpar OL, we had no shot. This will be a recurring theme for the next 16 weeks. Yay.

Shell, Burris, Leo, Adams and Jenkins were all drafted by Mac.  The others were also acquired by Mac by claiming them.  He wasn't required to get them, but he took the advice of his scouts and pro personnel department and added them to the roster.  I have no problem with how he goes about acquiring good young players unless it's via trade and the GM gets fleeced.

49 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

That's Bowles' reasoning? And he's wondering why people are calling for his head... If you're going to rebuild and see who you want to keep on the roster next year, you play guys like Burris. Skrine is done. He should go start that tae-bow gym or whatever that he's been talking about for so long. 

If you want a young guy to succeed, you need to build his confidence by putting him in position to succeed. The question isn't whether Burris is starting now. The question is whether he is being given opportunities to succeed, and he is. I would expect continued success will warrant expanded playing time. That's how it's supposed to work. 

I think it's funny that people get on Bowles for their perception that he prefers vets. No one had a problem when Bill Parcells preferred vets. And does Bowles really prefer vets? Lee, Jenkins, Maye, and Adams started from Day 1 of their pro careers. 

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

i thought that those players deserved to be on an nfl field yesterday.  that's good news for a team in the middle of a rebuild. as for how they got gashed by the run game, don't forget they were going against an oline that had played together for a while and know how to run block. and tyrod's mobility puts an added wrinkle into their offense.  he was under pressure most of the afternoon

as for the play calling, it's plenty clear mccown has limited throwing ability.  if they want to go downfield then they need to get petty or hack in there. i have faith they'll get better although they have to win the games against teams like the bills.

Was pleasantly surprised by the special teams! Edwards looked pretty darn good, and the coverage unit wasn't horrendous! That's a pretty darn big step up from last year. If they can just be a middle of the road special team that's going to be a big improvement... Lots of young guys on there too, which makes things look a tiny bit brighter. 

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

You didn't call Jamal Adams a stud.

I'm highly disappointed.

5 hours ago, Freemanm said:
8 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_5997-1-300x245.jpg

Hes a BUV (Bowles useless veteran).  BUVs become BFFs with ToiletBowles and play regardless.

There weren't the break downs in the secondary that we saw last year. As for McCoy he was good but what did you expect. He had like 110 yards which is a good game but not great for him. And the D stopped him on many plays. I still don't know why fans are killing Bowles for punting on 4th and 8 and in their own territory. There was over 4 minutes left in the game and the defense was outperforming the offense. Either way it would have been tough to win. I think our better chance in that case was punting. Because if they didn't make it you put the Bills in a close to FG territory. 

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If you want a young guy to succeed, you need to build his confidence by putting him in position to succeed. The question isn't whether Burris is starting now. The question is whether he is being given opportunities to succeed, and he is. I would expect continued success will warrant expanded playing time. That's how it's supposed to work. 

I think it's funny that people get on Bowles for their perception that he prefers vets. No one had a problem when Bill Parcells preferred vets. And does Bowles really prefer vets? Lee, Jenkins, Maye, and Adams started from Day 1 of their pro careers. 

Parcels actually won games. There's a difference

16 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Parcels actually won games. There's a difference

Bill Parcells was a winner when he 1st became a HC ?   What about Bill Belichek  ? What about Marvin Lewis ?  Didn't Parcells take play calling duties away from Payton when he was his OC ?  Here's one closer to home, all these people screaming for Bryce Petty to be the starter, would tell you the truth about what they felt after watching Petty throw a wet football last season .

The fans always know better, because a fan can't get fired .

Reconcile these:

On 9/11/2017 at 7:30 AM, JetNation said:

IMG_5997-1-300x245.jpg

Jets second year cornerback Juston Burris didn’t yield a single completion and came away with Gang Green’s first interception of the year.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

_OgwE2oIJIU

Click here to read the full story...

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Screenshot_20170910-223449~2.png

If Burris did not allow a completion, how did Adams get a better PFF grade for allowing two?  Especially odd, considering that the information is coming from the same source (PFF). 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Reconcile these:

If Burris did not allow a completion, how did Adams get a better PFF grade for allowing two?  Especially odd, considering that the information is coming from the same source (PFF). 

I'll field this one. PFF is digital toilet paper

Archived