Report: 2 teams asked about Petty this summer

DMan77

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Just a random report.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/10/report-2-teams-asked-about-bryce-petty-jets-wouldnt-trade-him/

A pair of teams asked about the reserve this summer, but the Jets declined to move him. That’s according to the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

As #Jets prepare to start Josh McCown today, worth noting: 2 teams inquired about trading for Bryce Petty this summer. NYJ wouldn’t deal him

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 10, 2017

25 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Why weren't they inquiring about Hackenberg? He did beat out Petty this preseason. Why wouldn't a team want the clearly better backup QB.

Strange, isn't it?  All I can think of is that they know he's the future face of the NFL, so there was no way the Jets were going to part with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rift between Macc & Bowles we don't know about. Macc reports to Woody...Bowles reports to Woody. Macc has no say in who starts on Sundays, that is Todd Bowles decision. Just imagine you trade Petty & he plays well under much better coaching & oline. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rift between Macc & Bowles we don't know about. Macc reports to Woody...Bowles reports to Woody. Macc has no say in who starts on Sundays, that is Todd Bowles decision. Just imagine you trade Petty & he plays well under much better coaching & oline. 

And Woody, like a bewildered father, has to tell both his kids, "Don't tell your brother I said this, but you're really my favorite".

Maybe we shouldn't get worked up about a deal request from the summer we don't have any real information about. What was the offer? If it was a conditional 6th or something, damn straight you won't trade him.

People got all worked up about a possible 2nd/3rd offered for Sheldon. We never knew what the real offer was, but everyone was convinced that it was a great offer and we would never get anything other than a 4th or 5th for him since we lost all of the leverage. As it turns out, we never found out what the offers were, but we ended up moving him (of course now nobody likes the trade although the roasted Mac for not making it last year).

When this source comes out with the details of the inquiry, then maybe we can get worked up. Until then, and until we really know what Mac and Bowles thinks of Petty, no point getting worked up about a non-story. After this weekend, there are plenty more things to get worried about :-)

This is not surprising.  Last year when they were shopping Geno there was talk that teams were asking about Petty instead.  They elected to carry 4 QBs instead.  I guess it was necessary - otherwise I would be reading about how Hackenberg's growth was stunted by having to take a few snaps during his rookie year - sure fire way to ruin his confidence!

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Maybe we shouldn't get worked up about a deal request from the summer we don't have any real information about. What was the offer? If it was a conditional 6th or something, damn straight you won't trade him.

People got all worked up about a possible 2nd/3rd offered for Sheldon. We never knew what the real offer was, but everyone was convinced that it was a great offer and we would never get anything other than a 4th or 5th for him since we lost all of the leverage. As it turns out, we never found out what the offers were, but we ended up moving him (of course now nobody likes the trade although the roasted Mac for not making it last year).

When this source comes out with the details of the inquiry, then maybe we can get worked up. Until then, and until we really know what Mac and Bowles thinks of Petty, no point getting worked up about a non-story. After this weekend, there are plenty more things to get worried about :-)

Who doesn't like the trade for Sheldon?  Why do you act like it is pure conjecture that there were offers of a 2nd/3rd?  There were specific mentions that the Cowboys were VERY interested, but Maccagnan DEMANDED a 1st.  They still got a 2018 2nd for him, but it is at least a full year too late.  A 2nd now is like a fourth in 2015 when we should have moved him.  That is what normal people don't like.

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Only logical scenario I can think of is, Petty's knee is not right yet. Then they will start him. Anything else both Bowles and Macc need to be fired.

Petty was asked about his knee and he said it's fine.  Bowles said all week and again after the game that Petty has not been limited in practice.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is not surprising.  Last year when they were shopping Geno there was talk that teams were asking about Petty instead.  They elected to carry 4 QBs instead.  I guess it was necessary - otherwise I would be reading about how Hackenberg's growth was stunted by having to take a few snaps during his rookie year - sure fire way to ruin his confidence!

Who doesn't like the trade for Sheldon?  Why do you act like it is pure conjecture that there were offers of a 2nd/3rd?  There were specific mentions that the Cowboys were VERY interested, but Maccagnan DEMANDED a 1st.  They still got a 2018 2nd for him, but it is at least a full year too late.  A 2nd now is like a fourth in 2015 when we should have moved him.  That is what normal people don't like.

There are a number of posters who complain that Sheldon is a cornerstone and we should have released Mo and signed Sheldon.

Yep, I remember, but none of these were actual quotes by anyone in the Jets or Cowboys organization. Also, negotiation 101, ask for a first and you might get a 2nd or 3rd.

I don't know what is true or what isn't - I just know 2 teams calling about Petty doesn't mean anything; a report by a trusted person saying they were offering something substantial would be worth discussing. But we have people discussing why Petty is in a dog house and then Mac likes Petty and Bowles hates him and we could have used the draft picks to rebuild if we weren't going to play him, etc. I don't give a lot of media reports much credit, and NY media even less. It is fun to discuss conjecture, but we have people treating rumors and conjecture as fact.

Until some real facts are available, I just to just watch the carnage with shock and try to enjoy watching some of the young players hopefully get better.

10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

There are a number of posters who complain that Sheldon is a cornerstone and we should have released Mo and signed Sheldon.

Yep, I remember, but none of these were actual quotes by anyone in the Jets or Cowboys organization. Also, negotiation 101, ask for a first and you might get a 2nd or 3rd.

I don't know what is true or what isn't - I just know 2 teams calling about Petty doesn't mean anything; a report by a trusted person saying they were offering something substantial would be worth discussing. But we have people discussing why Petty is in a dog house and then Mac likes Petty and Bowles hates him and we could have used the draft picks to rebuild if we weren't going to play him, etc. I don't give a lot of media reports much credit, and NY media even less. It is fun to discuss conjecture, but we have people treating rumors and conjecture as fact.

Until some real facts are available, I just to just watch the carnage with shock and try to enjoy watching some of the young players hopefully get better.

I think you sell the media short.  Their conjecture is worth something.  FACT: the Jets traded Sheldon.  The same can be said for many of these other deals, like shopping Decker and Pryor.  They linked the Jets to Beachum who they promptly signed.  I can understand disputing how valid the rumors are, but I think 100% there is something there.  They may or may not be sensational, but they have at least a kernel of truth.

random GM "He Mike, if you aren't going to play Petty we could use him, what would it take to do a deal?"

BIG MAC " he's our backup, we gave the kid from Penn State all the summer reps to see if he could figure this thing out"

random GM "Oh, I got wind from your fans that you have a political agenda against him and were keeping him back because you are stupid and mean"

BIG MAC "lol, you should see them trying to scout college QB's"

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Serious question for the tank crowd. Do you want Petty to play? Sounds like he will lead the team to a 12 and 3 record if he starts the rest of the way. That is bad right?

Yes, I do. If he plays and takes us to 8-8 and looks good, then perhaps we don't need to draft a QB high. If he plays and sucks, then we still finish with a high draft pick.

Win-win.

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Serious question for the tank crowd. Do you want Petty to play? Sounds like he will lead the team to a 12 and 3 record if he starts the rest of the way. That is bad right?

I want him to play because I believe there is a chance for him to have a future in the NFL.  He could fall somewhere between these two Matts; Matt Moore and Matt Hasselbeck.  Even if Petty can play at a serviceable level, the Jets ceiling is still 3 wins. 

Hack is a waste of a roster spot.  McCown is a waste of time as a starter, but NOT a wasted roster spot.

If you want to see whether or not the Jets have starting caliber NFL receivers, it has to be Petty in order to find out.  The Jets also find out if they have a real bridge-the-gap QB, and/or a quality backup.

Archived