The "It's fans like you..." criticism

TuscanyTile2

Every so often I see a comment saying something like "it's fans like you that are the reason (something bad)"  For example, "it's fans like you that are the reason this team can't do a proper rebuild".

I think it's mostly a silly criticism because the franchise will do what it thinks is best to win.  However, maybe there's a case or two where fans potentially do have somewhat of an impact on a personnel decision.  That is, when fans truly loathe or love a player.  I feel like "loathe" contributed to Mark Sanchez being released (though I'm definitely not saying it was the primary reason, by any means) and "love" might've been the reason Tebow was signed (loved for him as a good person rather than as a football player).  The Mets' GM admitted they signed Tebow for attendance reasons in the minor leagues.

What do people on this forum think about that theory?  Maybe you think there are ZERO cases where fans impact a personnel decision?

Classic projection. We become the scapegoat. When you can't blame the problem (because of hero worship, denial, fanboy optimism, etc; really any number of reasons), you blame the messenger. No matter how correct and objectively logical the messenger is, they'll always be public enemy #1, because they're delivering news (reality) that said fanboy is not readyto hear.

Just now, Pointdexter said:

Classic projection. We become the scapegoat. When you can't blame the problem (because of hero worship, denial, fanboy optimism, etc; really any number of reasons), you blame the messenger. No matter how correct and objectively logical the messenger is, they'll always be public enemy #1, because they're delivering news (reality) that said fanboy is not readyto hear.

Don't you know it's our fault Darron Lee is arguably the worst ILB in the entire NFL?

I believe we as fans hold very little clout when it comes to personnel decisions. I know there were many chest thumpers who believed the billboards and banners had a direct effect on Woody firing Idzik. I feel that notion is simply hogwash. NFL franchises derive most of their income from the lucrative tv contracts. The only way an  average fan could impact decisions is if they could hamper an owner's balance sheet in a major way. Not going to games , not buying concessions or merchandise is like a gnat to an owner , its annoying but represents no danger to his bottom line.

Yeah the planes and banners fed a nice media narrative , but all they did was to take money out of the average fans pocket.  

19 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The fans have a right to complain.  However Ownership/Management should act exclusive of the fans. Somtimes the right thing isn't the popular thing.

of course we do.  and the ownership, if they're truly wanting to build a winning team will try to make the right decisions.  there's something good and bad about the way woody runs the team.  he's good because he got them first class facilities and i don't he spares any expense on the players or the stadium.  but he's bad because he's probably too involved with every decision.  he's right in saying that the total rebuild that's being undertaken is the first time in jets history (at least since he bought the team) and that the previous attempts of team building didn't work very well.  

but he certainly has to wonder if this team will finally catch the brass ring.  i know i waited forever for the dead sox to finally win the series.  it took them 86 years.  last season we saw the cubs break through.  so anything is possible. it just takes time and lots of good luck.  and it's even more frustrating because of how many stinky seasons we will have to endure.

Personally, I think my Mike Maccagnan voodoo doll has more of an impact on this team than my inane opinions. I like to put pins in the doll's head and hold it right up against the microwave whenever the Jets are on the clock on draft day. I put extra pins in right before the 2nd round pick in 2016. I'm sorry.

25 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Personally, I think my Mike Maccagnan voodoo doll has more of an impact on this team than my inane opinions. I like to put pins in the doll's head and hold it right up against the microwave whenever the Jets are on the clock on draft day. I put extra pins in right before the 2nd round pick in 2016. I'm sorry.

And what about 2017..

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Every so often I see a comment saying something like "it's fans like you that are the reason (something bad)"  For example, "it's fans like you that are the reason this team can't do a proper rebuild".

I think it's mostly a silly criticism because the franchise will do what it thinks is best to win.  However, maybe there's a case or two where fans potentially do have somewhat of an impact on a personnel decision.  That is, when fans truly loathe or love a player.  I feel like "loathe" contributed to Mark Sanchez being released (though I'm definitely not saying it was the primary reason, by any means) and "love" might've been the reason Tebow was signed (loved for him as a good person rather than as a football player).  The Mets' GM admitted they signed Tebow for attendance reasons in the minor leagues.

What do people on this forum think about that theory?  Maybe you think there are ZERO cases where fans impact a personnel decision?

YOU make $hitty stupid threads and I believe it would be in the best interest of the forum if you STOPPED making ludicrous threads all the time; I'm not alone in that thought. 

That's what I think about your theory. 

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

YOU make $hitty stupid threads and I believe it would be in the best interest of the forum if you STOPPED making ludicrous threads all the time; I'm not alone in that thought. 

That's what I think about your theory. 

I'll make you a deal.  I'll stop forcing you to read my threads.

Too many idiots in our damn fan base . What these GOOFS don't understand is that our roster sucks , we have NO QB. Bill Walsh and Lombardi won't win a game with these scrubs . This staff proved what they were capable of when we had a good team . Idiots would fire this staff if they listen to the stupid fan base. And I laughed at an earlier post by some idiot saying there's a right way to rebuild and we're doing it wrong ... there's no in between a team either sucks all the way to the top of the draft or they're a play off team . In between gets you nowhere . We are rebuilding the right way which is sucking for 16 weeks . I hope woody doesn't fire the staff because they're listening to a bunch of old hag loser jets fans who taken all these years of sucking , keep taking it. Lay off the pipe, Bowles is a good coach. We need a qb , solves problem

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

The fans have a right to complain.  However Ownership/Management should act exclusive of the fans. Somtimes the right thing isn't the popular thing.

The Jets almost never do the right thing.  Unless it is by accident that is...

The Jets should have fired Bowles on Black Monday.  The fact that they didnt virtually guarantees the Jets cannot possibly win more than 3 games and a premium pick in April.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

In horse racing the betting favorite wins approx 1/3 of the time.  That is an insanely high winning %.  The vast betting public are right about 33.3%  of the time.  That is a fact.  So the popular thing is in fact very often the right thing when it comes to public opinion.  Management might want to take note of that, but I doubt they do.     

17 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

In horse racing the betting favorite wins approx 1/3 of the time.  That is an insanely high winning %.  The vast betting public are right about 33.3%  of the time.  That is a fact.  So the popular thing is in fact very often the right thing when it comes to public opinion.  Management might want to take note of that, but I doubt they do.     

Yeah, but you're comparing the general horse race betting public to the numbskulls on this site. I highly doubt that anyone on this site is even right about when they're actually hungry 33% of the time (except for Crusher; he's always hungry and he knows it). Do you know why Max doesn't allow talk of politics or religion here? Because he's already knows the kind of insane football ideas we have and he's afraid to see the psychotic political and religious theories that are sure to abound here.

Archived