Who would you rather?

LionelRichie

12 minutes ago, sciond said:

When Belichik became a linebacker coach after getting fired he sucked...

This didn't happen. He was an assistant head coach the year after he was fired by Cleveland. Mangini was out of the league for three years before getting the TE coach offer. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

This didn't happen. He was an assistant head coach the year after he was fired by Cleveland. Mangini was out of the league for three years before getting the TE coach offer. 

sorry db coach

New England Patriots (1996)
Assistant head coach & defensive backs coach

the asst title was throwing him a bone

1 minute ago, sciond said:

sorry db coach

You know your fanbase is in utter meltdown when it's devouring itself over whether Bill Bellichick's road to the Hall of Fame was a straight line trajectory or had some setbacks along the way 20 years ago. Face it folks, we suck, we are a joke, our HC is an idiot. If we don't have each other, who do we got?

1 minute ago, sciond said:

sorry db coach

He was thrown that bone (and the associated money) because he could've gotten a job anywhere that year at a level no less than DC. 

Conversely, Mangini couldn't get a job anywhere for three years. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You understand my logic?  That's cool cause I don't understand yours.  You asked how he know what offers we had.  We knew based on what job he took.  Period.  You want to play the blackballed card?   Cool.  Doesn't make for more offers/hot commodity.  

I didn't even say he sucks.  I mean I didn't in my previous posts.  I will now.  He sucks.  Plus, he is an enormous douche full of rah-rah sh*t that does not fly with grown men.

Where did I infer he was a hot commodity? Oncee again you have no idea what offers he really had or why he took a certain job. To say otherwise is foolish. It is an assumption.

Thankfully we have you to help us see the light

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

You know your fanbase is in utter meltdown when it's devouring itself over whether Bill Bellichick's road to the Hall of Fame was a straight line trajectory or had some setbacks along the way 20 years ago. Face it folks, we suck, we are a joke, our HC is an idiot. If we don't have each other, who do we got?

Actually I don't really care how we got here our team sucks

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's truly amazing how we swing from one extreme to the other.

Carroll -> Kotite -> Parcells -> Groh -> Herm -> Mangini -> Rex -> Bowles

It's like they say "Fire the excitable guy, hire a drone.  Fire the drone, hire a guy with personality!".  Maybe we can find someone balanced and who can actually make good in-game decisions?  If nothing else, I think Mangini was a little more reliable than any of the other 3 with regard to clock management and in-game adjustments.  

I know. Just like:

Hire a defensive-minded first-time head coach, then fire him, and replace him with a new defensive-minded first-time head coach >>>

Then fire the defensive-minded first-time head coach, and hire a new defensive-minded first-time head coach >>>

Then fire the defensive-minded first-time head coach, and hire a new defensive-minded first-time head coach >>>

Then...ooh I have goose pimples wondering what awaits us!

3 minutes ago, slats said:

He was thrown that bone (and the associated money) because he could've gotten a job anywhere that year at a level no less than DC. 

Once again you don't know this. Can you name some other offers? He almost got fired in New England as well but Brady saved his ass. Not like everyone loved the guy

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I know. Just like

Hire a defensive-minded first-time head coach, then fire him, and replace him with a new defensive-minded first-time head coach >>>

Then fire the defensive first-time head coach, and hire a new defensive first-time head coach >>>

Then fire the defensive first-time head coach, and hire a new defensive first-time head coach >>>

Jets are the Blackberry of the NFL. Apple hires all the good hardware and software engineers and we're stuck hiring guys with experience making those flip over dogs.

61xYadvxrQL._SL1114_.jpg

Just now, sciond said:

Where did I infer he was a hot commodity? Oncee again you have no idea what offers he really had or why he took a certain job. To say otherwise is foolish. It is an assumption.

Thankfully we have you to help us see the light

Right, what I posted is a foolish assumption.  Taking a tight end coach job when you have other offers is not foolish.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

ESPN.  Which was great because they were high fiving on Sports Center when his firing was announced.

7 minutes ago, sciond said:

Once again you don't know this. Can you name some other offers? He almost got fired in New England as well but Brady saved his ass. Not like everyone loved the guy

Once again, if he was willing to accept a job coaching tight ends, it's pretty crystal clear that he's not getting any offers better than that. 

And now that we've come full circle, I'm done with this nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I know. Just like:

I hear you Sperm, but here is the problem:

We have hired soooo many first time coaches, and keep firing them all.  The last two GM's have been first-time GM's, and I will be surprised if Mac is with us next year.  How, then, do we get ANYBODY of competency to come here, knowing that they will be on a short leash (given Woody's desire for listening to fans who complain when we don't win the Super Bowl after the first year)?

For me, the problem lies directly at the start with Woody.  He needs to be willing to fork out some BIG dollars to get competent people here, and then he needs to keep his nose out of EVERYTHING for about 3-4 years and let the people he hires do their thing.

Until that can happen consistently, will it matter which retread or newbie we bring in?

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Herm.

Actually, I hope they bring him back. He plays to win. He is a leader of men. End of story.

I agree. Herm's problem was an injured Pennington and clock management. You can learn the latter but it is hard to overcome the loss of a franchise QB. Plus, Herm had Bradway and Tanny as GM's and neither of them knew personnel very well although Bradway saw something in Russell Wilson no one else did. Put Herm with Mac and I think the Jets improve by leaps and bounds. Unlike Rex, Herm is a player's coach who also instills discipline which was Rex's downfall.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I know. Just like:

Sperm Edwards has just unlocked the source of the problem....Sperm Edwards. I see nothing wrong in repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.........no problems here.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

I hear you Sperm, but here is the problem:

We have hired soooo many first time coaches, and keep firing them all.  The last two GM's have been first-time GM's, and I will be surprised if Mac is with us next year.  How, then, do we get ANYBODY of competency to come here, knowing that they will be on a short leash (given Woody's desire for listening to fans who complain when we don't win the Super Bowl after the first year)?

For me, the problem lies directly at the start with Woody.  He needs to be willing to fork out some BIG dollars to get competent people here, and then he needs to keep his nose out of EVERYTHING for about 3-4 years and let the people he hires do their thing.

Until that can happen consistently, will it matter which retread or newbie we bring in?

A replacement can see that we couldn't tolerate a HC who, after a decade as a player and 20 years as a position coach and coordinator before that, was still making elementary mistakes like when to punt or go for 2. This isn't about giving him enough time to implement his system (or whatever time such a BS line would buy); it's about learning over the past 3-4 years that he wasn't qualified to be a HC in the first place.

For a GM, we can point to elementary things like not surrendering compensatory draft picks for backup DEs and 30-32 year-old RBs. That just too many of the players he spent too much money on were such failures, and didn't seem to follow any discernible, cohesive plan. That in hindsight, he was over-recommended by his buddy and - like the HC the same consultant advocated signing - he just wasn't qualified for the job. 

No argument about Woody. I get that he wants to be involved, because he's a fan and every fan has their ideas and opinions. It's that he has not and will not accept that his opinion is worthless. He may have picked up a thing or two in the near-20 years since buying the Jets, but that doesn't make him any type of expert on hiring good coaches and GMs. He needs a head of football operations who hires a GM, and the GM - in consultation with the head of football operations - picks a HC who shares his philosophy and desired player types. 

Until then, I agree the likelihood is we won't get anyone really good in here. The best candidates have better options available than to be saddled with a HC (or GM) that was hired by someone else, where the 2 are not only on equal footing, but who also report directly to a trust fund baby. We'll end up with one failure after another, with dumb luck being our only real hope.

Archived