Film Review: Week 1 Jets @ Bills

joerb31

41 plays being brought to you guys and A TON of them are Lee and Davis just being bad football players. If the Jets replaced them in this game with two competent LBs the Jets could have easily won this game or at the minimum it would have been much closer.

36 minutes ago, joerb31 said:

Bump 

The masses around here slobber all over KRL's overly positive camp notes.  "This guy 'flashed' and that guy 'flashed.'"

You take the time to put up some very interesting film, and it gets marginally ignored. 

Don't take it personal.  Some will really enjoy seeing this whenever you put it together.

Especially me, because I will be spending many Sundays fishing instead of watching a 2 win season.

Nice.  The horrible lb play really stood out to me when I was watching, and upon further review it seems I was correct.  The scary thing is we haven't even gone up against a real NFL caliber wr and te set, and I have no idea how badly exposed our D is going to be.  At least we only see McCoy once more this year.  He was catching balls when he was double teamed and was making our coverage look foolish.

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The masses around here slobber all over KRL's overly positive camp notes.  "This guy 'flashed' and that guy 'flashed.'"

You take the time to put up some very interesting film, and it gets marginally ignored. 

Don't take it personal.  Some will really enjoy seeing this whenever you put it together.

Especially me, because I will be spending many Sundays fishing instead of watching a 2 win season.

Appreciate that, it does definately take some times to get through all of the film and then post it. Every week trying to improve in terms of knowledge shared, terminology and technicalities of every play by reading various different books. As long as people enjoy and learn then I'll keep posting.

8 minutes ago, Hael said:

Nice.  The horrible lb play really stood out to me when I was watching, and upon further review it seems I was correct.  The scary thing is we haven't even gone up against a real NFL caliber wr and te set, and I have no idea how badly exposed our D is going to be.  At least we only see McCoy once more this year.  He was catching balls when he was double teamed and was making our coverage look foolish.

Inexperience of safeties (mostly Maye) and terrible ILB play both in the run game/pass game lead to the terrible play of the defense. Including some big some big plays allowed by Skrine (as expected). Hope to see the ILB's improve but I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Thank you for the film work. Please send a copy to Bowles, not sure what he's  watching but boy oh boy, these errors seem coach able.

I'll try to get it to him.. some of it is coaching and some of it, is just a lack of pure instincts and what's between the ears.

25 minutes ago, joerb31 said:

Appreciate that, it does definately take some times to get through all of the film and then post it. Every week trying to improve in terms of knowledge shared, terminology and technicalities of every play by reading various different books. As long as people enjoy and learn then I'll keep posting.

Please keep posting.  This is some great analysis.  It is appreciated.

Who else, on this team, on other teams, on other practice squads, can play ILB?

Does Stafford play more?  Carter is hurt (again).

Do you move Jenkins inside and bring Bishop up?

This is what Bowles and his assistant head coach are supposed to know how to coach.  He is going to get fired very quickly.

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

Who else, on this team, on other teams, on other practice squads, can play ILB?

Does Stafford play more?  Carter is hurt (again).

Do you move Jenkins inside and bring Bishop up?

This is what Bowles and his assistant head coach are supposed to know how to coach.  He is going to get fired very quickly.

They can try to play Stanford who replaced Lee at time last game, but don't think he will have much more success. Jenkins also isn't athletic enough to play ILB and it's a completely different position from OLB especially in a 3-4. So for now the Jets are going to be stuck with this duo. Bowles should be fired for a litany of reasons as well.

Not sure how best to reference a specific video.  But for your caption:

Davis (56) playing the Sam in this formation doesn't maintain his gap biting inside again. Opens up huge hole for Tolbert

that was an amazingly bad play.  Davis is running to the hole, the RB is running to the hole - and then for no reason Davis cuts back...  Hard to fathom...

3 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Not sure how best to reference a specific video.  But for your caption:

Davis (56) playing the Sam in this formation doesn't maintain his gap biting inside again. Opens up huge hole for Tolbert

that was an amazingly bad play.  Davis is running to the hole, the RB is running to the hole - and then for no reason Davis cuts back...  Hard to fathom...

I know which play... really any play there is a misdirection or designed to cutback we are screwed with Davis. The narrative was "Davis is solid in the run game but struggles in the pass game" just isn't true, he is horrific at both.

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet bowles called out the defensive line today.  I'm sure Wilkerson is thrilled with that one.

Wilkerson made some plays but was also loafing around on some plays. But for Bowles to call out strictly the D-line and not the ILB's is a joke. Another example of incompetence.

3 hours ago, Hael said:

Isn't there a story out of Bowles chewing out the d-line group in a meeting?  Does he expect them to do their jobs and that of the ILBs too?

3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Isn't there a story out of Bowles chewing out the d-line group in a meeting?  Does he expect them to do their jobs and that of the ILBs too?

It's dumb 3-4 D-lines job is to take up blockers/2 gapping. It's the LBs job to get the tackles for the most part

10 minutes ago, joerb31 said:

It's dumb 3-4 D-lines job is to take up blockers/2 gapping. It's the LBs job to get the tackles for the most part

They still have to fill their run fits and not over run plays leaving wide open cut back lanes.  In pretty much all those big runs, if Lee and/or Davis stayed disciplined and filled in their proper gaps they would have been there to meet the RB in the hole when he cut back.  Those stretch runs are specifically meant to take advantage of overzealous and undisciplined ILBs which we have.

The Dline played just like it played last year. They push the pocket and are pretty stout, and it seems they win a fair share of 1 v 1s. However they gas at the tail end of halves, they fall for stunts and misdirections every single time, and they rarely get penetration.

There are definitely a few plays where they allow cutback lanes and should have been more disciplined, but still I think a lot of the problem is fundamentally lber related. We badly missed Harris.

Archived