History Repeating Itself?

CanadaSteve

5 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

It would be yet ANOTHER huge Jets mistake to clean house at this time. Mac has done a decent job - Christian Hackenberg not withstanding - in his drafts and in signing FA's. It is Todd Bowles, gutless, unproductive, conservative to a fault coaching that is holding the team back. Bowles should be fired and Mac should be given full GM powers to hire his own HC and draft the next franchise QB. My only question about Mac is CAN he find the next franchise QB given that he has selected a pair that there are still questions about, plus his two FA signings have not set the world on fire. He NEEDS to hit a home run on this one or he can resign.

What draft picks or signings in his first 2 years (outside of Leo) will be on the team 2-3 years from now? Am I missing something?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't losing those 3 other games more damning on the coaching staff?

well, as they say, the coaches aren't the guy on the field making the plays.  you can blame the coaches for not getting the players ready but once the game has started it's on the players to execute.  and they didn't.

10 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Well, Jim Caldwell did not keep his job and supposedly the Colts tanked.

I thought about that when I made my response but nevertheless in this case i think the HC is in on it.

Play along and you get one year with a bunch of picks and a bunch of money to spend and possibly a long term answer in place at QB against what?  A 5-7 win season even if he coaches his pants off.  He loses his job then too because (a) it is another losing season and (b) the Jets didn't get the QB after all that.  Na, Todd Bowles  a vital cog to get us from a random 4-win season down to one or two win one.  I think he is part of it.

Nothing about the week game changes my opinion on that.

On 9/14/2017 at 7:01 AM, rangerous said:

well there is some merit to the easy schedule maybe not as much as people think.  and even last season there were at least 3 other games they could've won so for all the bumbling that people grouse about they won 5 with some vets who were mailing it in, a qb who really couldn't make all of the throws, and bad skill position players.  this season they might be a little worse, personnel wise because of the experience factor.  but what those players lack in experience they make up with enthusiasm and physical talent. the key is and has been the qb position.

at this point so what if they win 5, 6, 7 games. i don't want to see a tank but it makes perfect sense to not win to secure higher placed draft picks. 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:37 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't losing those 3 other games more damning on the coaching staff?

On 9/14/2017 at 7:47 PM, rangerous said:

well, as they say, the coaches aren't the guy on the field making the plays.  you can blame the coaches for not getting the players ready but once the game has started it's on the players to execute.  and they didn't.

Kind of interesting logic, isn't it?  

Your claim is that the team wasn't bad in 2015 - they went 10-6 and the easy schedule wasn't everything.  Last year the team wasn't that bad because they could have won an additional 3 games (8-8). When I point out that losing close games is usually indicative of poor preparation, motivation and coaching in general, your response is - it is the players fault for not executing?  So the problem is that the Jets have bad players?  I think that is where this merry-go-round started.

On 9/13/2017 at 7:46 AM, Jet9 said:

I actually disagree complete with this. 

do you also deny gravity? Did you agree with the world being round?... this roster is made entirely of his picks, signings, trades and extensions. We're the worst team in the NFL. How is it that he's not on thin ice.

Are you allowed to show up to your day job and suck ass for 2 years and still have job security? Like i mean, really suck ass. 

On 9/14/2017 at 7:50 AM, Ex-Rex said:

Mac has done a decent job - Christian Hackenberg not withstanding - in his drafts and in signing FA's. I.

wtf are you talking about? What has he done that's decent? We're the worst team in the league -- and every single player on the team except 2 players, is here via Macc. Every single one. 

How the fck do you grade a GM if blowing 80% of their draft picks, making a QB situation worse, and having the laughing stock of the NFL franchise -- is not doing a bad job??? WHAT DOES A BAD GM LOOK LIKE DUDE?!?

Really not sure why anyone thinks Mac is getting fired (or demoted). He followed the owners orders and signed some free agents trying to win "now" and the team went 10-6 and then 5-11. After the 5-11 season, he got the OK to begin the long term rebuild. While his drafts have not been great, they've not been as bad as many portray. He's only had 3 drafts. That's not a lot. I agree that the 2016 Lee and Hack picks were not good , but no one taken in the remainder of the first round after Lee is lighting it up. 2016 was a bad draft for first round talent. So, in a nutshell, Mac has followed the owners instructions and, in reality, is in year 1 of the team rebuild. He is not getting fired or re-assigned.

And unless there is a team mutiny, Bowles is not getting fired. He has a 10-6 season. So, they believe they know he can win. According to people on the inside, the Jets team culture is the best it has been in a long long while.... AND most importantly, Bowles is supposed to lose. The plan is to get the #1 pick, and the plan is looking good right now. People wonder why Bowles didn't seem upset at his post Raiders presser.... why should he be upset? He has a team with very little talent and the master plan is to lose as many games as possible. He can't get fired for losing when losing is the plan. Don't think that the players don't know the deal. They do. They'll be no mutiny this year.

37 minutes ago, Paradis said:

wtf are you talking about? What has he done that's decent? We're the worst team in the league -- and every single player on the team except 2 players, is here via Macc. Every single one

How the fck do you grade a GM if blowing 80% of their draft picks, making a QB situation worse, and having the laughing stock of the NFL franchise -- is not doing a bad job??? WHAT DOES A BAD GM LOOK LIKE DUDE?!?

Yes, because he cut veterans with the intention of making the team worse. I think around 12 starters on O and D from last year are no longer on the team (or on IR - Onunwa). That's about 50%. Mac intentionally replaced players with guys that were not as good. He was NOT trying to make the team better this year. He was trying to make it worse. So,...... you're mad at him for doing too good a job I guess.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

do you also deny gravity? Did you agree with the world being round?... this roster is made entirely of his picks, signings, trades and extensions. We're the worst team in the NFL. How is it that he's not on thin ice.

Are you allowed to show up to your day job and suck ass for 2 years and still have job security? Like i mean, really suck ass. 

I think he pretty much has/had 5 years from Woody. So I don't see him losing his job for another 2 seasons. That's just my opinion. I don't think we're doing the coach/gm reset thing every 2-3 years. That's all I meant. 

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Really not sure why anyone thinks Mac is getting fired (or demoted). He followed the owners orders

The only defense of these guys is "owner's orders."  I'm pretty sure that the owner did not order them to not make the playoffs, suck, and have the worst roster in football.  Most owners do not order that, so I am not sure why you think Woody did.

Archived