Thursday Night Football Texans-Bengals Game Thread

joewilly12

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Watson with two should have been pick sixes and taking sacks for huge losses. Not impressed,  nice run but we've seen dozens of guys do that and flame out. 

He's been so-so .. I have seen a few nice plays, but agreed on the almost picks .. he stared Hopkins down from the start on that near Adam Jones pick. That TD run was easy though . I'm just saying . No shade toward the guy. He's young and the game is obviously really fast for him. That's the real noticeable part .. but there is such thing as progression . Still glad we didn't go Watson last draft though. Can't be excited enough for prospects in the upcoming draft.

In the film reviews, I talk about wide defensive alignments, this is how teams can defeat it.  In passing situations, they want to contain the QB in the pocket, so the only real way to combat it is a strong and accurate arm, a good running game, or a QB that can attack the field with his legs.  On this one, you can clearly see the Center has nothing to do at first, thus they leave the center of the field open to the QB.  The Jets face this a lot.  

Watson has looked anything but special.  One run against Cincinnati's awful defense isn't going to change that.  How many times do you guys have to watch a running QB fail because he can't scan a defense and pass the ball efficiently.  Once defenses key in on the scrambling, they almost always fizzle out. Kaepernick, Vince Young, Manziel, RG3, etc. 

The guy should have 2 pick-6s because he still hasn't learned how to scan the entire field and not stare down his receivers.  Of course it's his first start, but he did a ton of that in college. He has miles to go as a passer, and that is what will make or break his career.  Not 49 yard TD runs because of awful defense/tackling.  

I'm not saying he won't be anything (I actually liked him)...but I'm still not sweating the fact that we didn't use a top 10 pick on him.  The top 3 QBs coming out next year are all miles ahead of him as prospects and, realistically, we'll have a great shot at them all.  Watson wasn't remotely close to being good enough to pass up on them, or anyone else, for the next 4-5 years.  That's the type of commitment you have to make with a top 10 pick at QB.  Unless, y'know, he Johnny Manziels his way out of the league.  Houston was also the absolute perfect place for him.  Offensive minded HC, an absolutely loaded team at skill positions and defense, vs a rebuilding team, with a dumbass HC, who will probably be fired at the end of the year, in the process of dismantling itself.  It would have been an unbelievable disaster.  Given the current state of this team, that is saying something.  

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Watson with two should have been pick sixes and taking sacks for huge losses. Not impressed,  nice run but we've seen dozens of guys do that and flame out. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

The guy should have 2 pick-6s because he still hasn't learned how to scan the entire field and not stare down his receivers.  

dropped interceptions are a thing now

19 hours ago, dbatesman said:

dropped interceptions are a thing now

No they're not an official stat, but that's not the issue.  The issue is watching a guy stare down his WR from start to finish and have it almost go the other way for six....twice.  I remember a bunch of people in 2010 or 2011 that, when Sanchez lead the league in the "dropped INTs" "stat", said it wasn't a big deal because, ultimately, "they didn't count".  Fitzpatrick, if I remember correctly, lead the league in that "stat" in 2015 too.  

So again, no the stat doesn't officially count, but how you get to leading the league in that number does matter to a certain degree.  If a ball is tipped off WRs hands, multiple times a season, and the defense constantly drops them...maybe it's not serious because the guys were open and the read was correct.  On the flip side, staring guys down and getting insanely lucky that their hands aren't good enough to play WR is a whole different story.  

The issue didn't matter for Sanchez, until it actually did.  It didn't matter for Fitzpatrick either...until it did.  We'll see if it matters for Deshaun.  Like I said a hundred times before, I liked the guy.  Him and Trubisky were the only QBs I thought were remotely worth a damn from this class.  I just don't think he, or Trubisky for that matter, were remotely close to being worth 4-5 years of commitment and a top 10 pick.  In 2 weeks, I haven't seen a single play from Watson that has changed my opinion on that.  For all the wrong we've done recently, I'm glad we'll be in position to take that gamble on much more deserving prospects next season, regardless of who the GM is.

Marvin Lewis is what happens when you hold on to a bad coach too long.  He cannot attract quality assistants because the Bengals are very cheap and people know that Lewis is on the way out.  Unfortunately, that leaves one more team to compete with the Jets in hiring a coach.

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

Marvin Lewis is what happens when you hold on to a bad coach too long.  He cannot attract quality assistants because the Bengals are very cheap and people know that Lewis is on the way out.  Unfortunately, that leaves one more team to compete with the Jets in hiring a coach.

Nobody stays in one place for that long without getting stale, not even Bellicheat. 

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Watson has looked anything but special.  One run against Cincinnati's awful defense isn't going to change that.  How many times do you guys have to watch a running QB fail because he can't scan a defense and pass the ball efficiently.  Once defenses key in on the scrambling, they almost always fizzle out. Kaepernick, Vince Young, Manziel, RG3, etc. 

The guy should have 2 pick-6s because he still hasn't learned how to scan the entire field and not stare down his receivers.  Of course it's his first start, but he did a ton of that in college. He has miles to go as a passer, and that is what will make or break his career.  Not 49 yard TD runs because of awful defense/tackling.  

I'm not saying he won't be anything (I actually liked him)...but I'm still not sweating the fact that we didn't use a top 10 pick on him.  The top 3 QBs coming out next year are all miles ahead of him as prospects and, realistically, we'll have a great shot at them all.  Watson wasn't remotely close to being good enough to pass up on them, or anyone else, for the next 4-5 years.  That's the type of commitment you have to make with a top 10 pick at QB.  Unless, y'know, he Johnny Manziels his way out of the league.  Houston was also the absolute perfect place for him.  Offensive minded HC, an absolutely loaded team at skill positions and defense, vs a rebuilding team, with a dumbass HC, who will probably be fired at the end of the year, in the process of dismantling itself.  It would have been an unbelievable disaster.  Given the current state of this team, that is saying something.  

He was their entire offense.  They couldn't run the ball, they couldn't hold on to the ball, Hopkins is the only pass catching option on the team and they won because of A Rookie Watson making big plays on a short week in his first ever start.  Thursday Night games are always ugly defensive battles.  The other team, veteran lead with weapons all over the field, scored 9 pts.

Was he perfect?  No.  He looked like a rookie with 3 days to prepare for his first ever start and his team won because Watson is special.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mark-sanchez-stars-nfl-debut-jets-trounce-texans-24-7-article-1.407290

HOUSTON - Mark Sanchez got a pregame pep talk from Joe Namath, which he said gave him goose bumps. The night before, the entire team got one from Rex Ryan, who delivered an old-school, we're-gonna-kick-their-butt speech in which he questioned the Texans' toughness, according to players. It included locker-room language that, um, can't be printed in a family newspaper. It was Rex-rated.

"It's kind of hard to put into words ... but we need to call the NFLPA and put him on the banned-substances list because what he said was performance enhancing," nose tackle Kris Jenkins said.

When it was time to walk the walk, the Jets walked all over the Texans Sunday, beating them up with a suffocating defense and shooting them down with a 272-yard passing performance by the precocious Sanchez. The Ryan/Sanchez era opened with a 24-7 victory at Reliant Stadium, where the Jets actually played as well as Ryan predicted eight months ago when he was hired.

And that's saying something.

"Not bad for a couple of rookies," said Ryan, referring to himself and Sanchez, the first rookie quarterback in Jets history to start on opening day.

Sanchez, who started only 16 games at USC, showed remarkable poise. Inspired by Namath, who told the former USC star that it's your team and your time, Sanchez avoided the pass rush with nifty footwork and delivered clutch third-down passes. Of his 18 completions, 12 came on third down (for 191 yards), including a 30-yard touchdown pass to Chansi Stuckey and a 40-yard strike to Dustin Keller that set up Thomas Jones' second touchdown, a game-clinching, 38-yard run with 10:10 left in the fourth quarter.

"To hear from a legend, it gives you the chills," Sanchez said of his brief chat with Broadway Joe.

There was only one hiccup for Sanchez, a "big-time rookie mistake," he called it. It was a fourth-quarter interception that was returned 62 yards for a touchdown, a wild play in which Dominique Barber scooped up a teammate's fumble and took it the last 48 yards.

"The defense was unbelievable, and we should've had a shutout," said Sanchez (18-for-31), accepting the blame. "I owe them one."

That made it 17-7, but Sanchez & Co. treated it like a pebble in their sneakers - just a temporary inconvenience. The Jets continued the beat-down, outgaining the overmatched Texans, 462-183.

That deserves another mention - 462-183.

The Jets didn't just beat the Texans. They bludgeoned them. They outsmarted them. They made their quarterback, Matt Schaub (18-for-33, 166 yards, one interception), look like the rookie. Sanchez played like a seasoned veteran.

"He showed great poise in the pocket," Ryan said of his $50 million quarterback. "We think he's special."

Rookie quarterbacks are supposed to struggle, but there was no sign of butterflies from Sanchez. With the running game struggling in the first half, Sanchez showed the way, spreading the ball to Stuckey (four catches for 64 yards), Keller (four for 94) and Jerricho Cotchery (six for 90). Who needs Brandon Marshall, anyway?

"He doesn't look like a rookie, does he?" Jenkins said of Sanchez.

Sanchez will get the headlines, of course, but this game was more than just him. The units that Ryan had been talking up for months, namely the offensive line and the defense, met the coach's expectations. The line didn't allow any sacks and wore down the Texans in the second half, resulting in a 107-yard rushing day by Jones and a 17-minute advantage in time of possession.

Fueled by Ryan's Saturday-night speech, the defense pounded the Texans with early blitzes that rattled Schaub. Addressing the team, the coach described the Texans as a finesse team, except his vocabulary was more colorful. Picture John Belushi's pep talk in "Animal House," except there was no humor in Ryan's message. He was deadly serious.

"When Rex came here, he pretty much brought that old-school, nasty mentality with him," linebacker David Harris said. "I think it trickled down through all the players today. We out-toughed them."

Houston's first pass play: Linebacker Bart Scott, the Jets' $48 million free agent, blitzed up the middle and buried his helmet into Schaub's chest. The quarterback managed a seven-yard completion to star receiver Andre Johnson, who was held without another catch until the third quarter, but the tone was set. On the next series, Scott did it again. Harris also blasted an intended receiver.

"The great boxers go to the body first and go to the head later," Scott said. "You have to hit 'em in the mouth and tell them it isn't going to be easy: 'If you want to go through the road, you have to pay the toll.'"

The biggest defensive play came from nickel back Donald Strickland, who forced a fumble just when the Texans had gained some momentum. They were driving in the second half, down to the Jets' 15 on a pass to Steve Slaton. But Strickland jarred the ball loose and defensive end Mike DeVito plucked it out of the air. Ten players later, Sanchez beat an all-out blitz, hitting a wide-open Stuckey for a touchdown.

From the first blow to the final boast, the Jets sent a message.

"Same one I've been sending since I got here," Ryan said. "I believe in this team ... I've been saying it all along, just nobody wanted to listen."

They will now.

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was their entire offense.  They couldn't run the ball, they couldn't hold on to the ball, Hopkins is the only pass catching option on the team and they won because of A Rookie Watson making big plays on a short week in his first ever start.  Thursday Night games are always ugly defensive battles.  The other team, veteran lead with weapons all over the field, scored 9 pts.

Was he perfect?  No.  He looked like a rookie with 3 days to prepare for his first ever start and his team won because Watson is special.  

Their run game was very effective and he more or less had Watson wide open after a push off every play. It seemed like a lot of safe, outside throws. 

He doesn't suck, it was good, but I Saw nothing special.

Let's give him the Jets fan treatment..."defense won the game, scored a measly 13 points, a few almost interceptions, meh"

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

Their run game was very effective and he more or less had Watson wide open after a push off every play. It seemed like a lot of safe, outside throws. 

Let's give him the Jets fan treatment..."defense won the game, scored a measly 13 points, a few almost interceptions, meh"

Only Jets players get Jets fan treatment.

Petty looks great in pre-season--- "who cares, it's pre-season vs jags"

Bill O' Brien says Watson had a good practice one day---"OMG we're so stupid, why didn't we draft him?!?!?!"

A couple of things from last night:

- CIN is a huge example of not falling in love with "names" when it comes to evaluating a team.
Because how in the world does an offense with Dalton, Green, Hill, Bernard, Mixon, Eifert and
Ross score less points in two games than the Jets did in ONE???  Based on names they should be
scoring 20+ points by accident

- I know people liked Watson from what he did at Clemson but that was an awful performance last
night.  All those glowing media evaluations from the summer were a bit overblown.  He's got a
ton of work to do just to be decent and his ball security is worse than Geno Smith's right now

- Amazing how many QB's O'Brien has gone through in HOU (Osweiler, Hoyer, Mallett, Fitzpatrick,
Savage, Yates, Watson).  Maybe it's him???

I would have been happy if the Jets took Watson at 6 - it would have made the 2017 Jets more fun to watch, that said I watched the game last night and agree that Watson is struggling, playing like a rookie (deer in headlights). Seemed smaller in the the NFL than he did at Clemson, probably because Watt was after him most of the night, Breno says hi...

It was clear the game has not slowed down for him yet but he did find a way to win, more lucky than good similar to Sanchez as a rookie (as AFJF posted) but that run was special and a reason to watch the game, it's called entertainment, and the reason I am watching Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Darnold on Saturdays - don't expect to watch much of the game this Sunday

I like how this thread has turned into a Watson thread...The guy threw some ugly passes and he had a nice run...he is a rookie in his first start why don't we let him play a few more games before either putting him in the hall of fame or calling him a bust. I will never understand how quick this forum is to judge players based off of such limited film.

4 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I would have been happy if the Jets took Watson at 6 - it would have made the 2017 Jets more fun to watch, that said I watched the game last night and agree that Watson is struggling, playing like a rookie (deer in headlights). Seemed smaller in the the NFL than he did at Clemson, probably because Watt was after him most of the night, Breno says hi...

It was clear the game has not slowed down for him yet but he did find a way to win, more lucky than good similar to Sanchez as a rookie (as AFJF posted) but that run was special and a reason to watch the game, it's called entertainment, and the reason I am watching Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Darnold on Saturdays - don't expect to watch much of the game this Sunday

No way he sees the field on Bowles watch.

They won because Marvin is an idiot much like Bowles. Texans have a great Dline and they're down to their 4th string CB so let's stick to that running game and some WR screens.

25 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I like how this thread has turned into a Watson thread...The guy threw some ugly passes and he had a nice run...he is a rookie in his first start why don't we let him play a few more games before either putting him in the hall of fame or calling him a bust. I will never understand how quick this forum is to judge players based off of such limited film.

All fans are experts on scouting, drafting, play calling, coaching staff, etc. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

They averaged 3 yard per carry.  They got stuffed on 3rd and short probably 5-6 times last night.  Their run game was far from effective.  Their OL is terrible.  Watson was running for his life with Hopkins as his only option and he pulled off just enough special plays as a runner to win the game.  Going 60 yards to score before the half, is not something every QBs does.  Just wait till the passing game arrives.  He actually reminds me a lot of his freshman year in college.  Then he figured it out and was the total package. 

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mark-sanchez-stars-nfl-debut-jets-trounce-texans-24-7-article-1.407290

HOUSTON - Mark Sanchez got a pregame pep talk from Joe Namath, which he said gave him goose bumps. The night before, the entire team got one from Rex Ryan, who delivered an old-school, we're-gonna-kick-their-butt speech in which he questioned the Texans' toughness, according to players. It included locker-room language that, um, can't be printed in a family newspaper. It was Rex-rated.

"It's kind of hard to put into words ... but we need to call the NFLPA and put him on the banned-substances list because what he said was performance enhancing," nose tackle Kris Jenkins said.

When it was time to walk the walk, the Jets walked all over the Texans Sunday, beating them up with a suffocating defense and shooting them down with a 272-yard passing performance by the precocious Sanchez. The Ryan/Sanchez era opened with a 24-7 victory at Reliant Stadium, where the Jets actually played as well as Ryan predicted eight months ago when he was hired.

And that's saying something.

"Not bad for a couple of rookies," said Ryan, referring to himself and Sanchez, the first rookie quarterback in Jets history to start on opening day.

Sanchez, who started only 16 games at USC, showed remarkable poise. Inspired by Namath, who told the former USC star that it's your team and your time, Sanchez avoided the pass rush with nifty footwork and delivered clutch third-down passes. Of his 18 completions, 12 came on third down (for 191 yards), including a 30-yard touchdown pass to Chansi Stuckey and a 40-yard strike to Dustin Keller that set up Thomas Jones' second touchdown, a game-clinching, 38-yard run with 10:10 left in the fourth quarter.

"To hear from a legend, it gives you the chills," Sanchez said of his brief chat with Broadway Joe.

There was only one hiccup for Sanchez, a "big-time rookie mistake," he called it. It was a fourth-quarter interception that was returned 62 yards for a touchdown, a wild play in which Dominique Barber scooped up a teammate's fumble and took it the last 48 yards.

"The defense was unbelievable, and we should've had a shutout," said Sanchez (18-for-31), accepting the blame. "I owe them one."

That made it 17-7, but Sanchez & Co. treated it like a pebble in their sneakers - just a temporary inconvenience. The Jets continued the beat-down, outgaining the overmatched Texans, 462-183.

That deserves another mention - 462-183.

The Jets didn't just beat the Texans. They bludgeoned them. They outsmarted them. They made their quarterback, Matt Schaub (18-for-33, 166 yards, one interception), look like the rookie. Sanchez played like a seasoned veteran.

"He showed great poise in the pocket," Ryan said of his $50 million quarterback. "We think he's special."

Rookie quarterbacks are supposed to struggle, but there was no sign of butterflies from Sanchez. With the running game struggling in the first half, Sanchez showed the way, spreading the ball to Stuckey (four catches for 64 yards), Keller (four for 94) and Jerricho Cotchery (six for 90). Who needs Brandon Marshall, anyway?

"He doesn't look like a rookie, does he?" Jenkins said of Sanchez.

Sanchez will get the headlines, of course, but this game was more than just him. The units that Ryan had been talking up for months, namely the offensive line and the defense, met the coach's expectations. The line didn't allow any sacks and wore down the Texans in the second half, resulting in a 107-yard rushing day by Jones and a 17-minute advantage in time of possession.

Fueled by Ryan's Saturday-night speech, the defense pounded the Texans with early blitzes that rattled Schaub. Addressing the team, the coach described the Texans as a finesse team, except his vocabulary was more colorful. Picture John Belushi's pep talk in "Animal House," except there was no humor in Ryan's message. He was deadly serious.

"When Rex came here, he pretty much brought that old-school, nasty mentality with him," linebacker David Harris said. "I think it trickled down through all the players today. We out-toughed them."

Houston's first pass play: Linebacker Bart Scott, the Jets' $48 million free agent, blitzed up the middle and buried his helmet into Schaub's chest. The quarterback managed a seven-yard completion to star receiver Andre Johnson, who was held without another catch until the third quarter, but the tone was set. On the next series, Scott did it again. Harris also blasted an intended receiver.

"The great boxers go to the body first and go to the head later," Scott said. "You have to hit 'em in the mouth and tell them it isn't going to be easy: 'If you want to go through the road, you have to pay the toll.'"

The biggest defensive play came from nickel back Donald Strickland, who forced a fumble just when the Texans had gained some momentum. They were driving in the second half, down to the Jets' 15 on a pass to Steve Slaton. But Strickland jarred the ball loose and defensive end Mike DeVito plucked it out of the air. Ten players later, Sanchez beat an all-out blitz, hitting a wide-open Stuckey for a touchdown.

From the first blow to the final boast, the Jets sent a message.

"Same one I've been sending since I got here," Ryan said. "I believe in this team ... I've been saying it all along, just nobody wanted to listen."

They will now.

I cried when I read this.  Rex and Thurman could coach when the stars were aligned.  

14 hours ago, KRL said:

A couple of things from last night:

- CIN is a huge example of not falling in love with "names" when it comes to evaluating a team.
Because how in the world does an offense with Dalton, Green, Hill, Bernard, Mixon, Eifert and
Ross score less points in two games than the Jets did in ONE???  Based on names they should be
scoring 20+ points by accident

- I know people liked Watson from what he did at Clemson but that was an awful performance last
night.  All those glowing media evaluations from the summer were a bit overblown.  He's got a
ton of work to do just to be decent and his ball security is worse than Geno Smith's right now

- Amazing how many QB's O'Brien has gone through in HOU (Osweiler, Hoyer, Mallett, Fitzpatrick,
Savage, Yates, Watson).  Maybe it's him???

I think the CIN offensive coaching was completely inept.  Eifert is a great players, as are the others.  There is no way the Jets have better offensive players than CIN.  This is on Lewis and Brown.

When I look at the Texans I see Mac and I see the Jets.   This Rick Smith guy, who is not long for the world, gave all of these Jet-like QBs to O'Brien.  Same result.  

Profootballtalk reports a "near mutiny" forced Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to fire OC Ken Zampese.

A source tells PFT's Mike Florio multiple players wanted Zampese gone, including A.J. Green, who called out the playcalling following Thursday's loss. Promoting Bill Lazor to offensive coordinator is a step in the right direction, but Lewis is clearly feeling pressure after embarassing losses to open the season. Already in lame-duck status, Lewis could be on the hot seat if he doesn't turn things around.

48 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Profootballtalk reports a "near mutiny" forced Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to fire OC Ken Zampese.

A source tells PFT's Mike Florio multiple players wanted Zampese gone, including A.J. Green, who called out the playcalling following Thursday's loss. Promoting Bill Lazor to offensive coordinator is a step in the right direction, but Lewis is clearly feeling pressure after embarassing losses to open the season. Already in lame-duck status, Lewis could be on the hot seat if he doesn't turn things around.

They have much better offensive talent than no touchdowns in 2 weeks.   But its ultimately on Lewis.  He is done.  More competition for a HC in 2018.

Archived