Jet Coaches and their QB's

CanadaSteve

On 9/16/2017 at 4:43 PM, rangerous said:

parcells had odonnell his first season.  as for obrien, he did some very good things.  he had an excellent arm and was very accurate.  but he did hold onto the ball too long at times and took way too many sacks. the other problem is he was a player during a strike year. walton completely lost the team after that.  if you think they kept obrien too long then you must really think they should have kept chaddy about a season and a half.  once the injury bug hit chaddy was toast. and they did have sanchez for five seasons and signed him to an extension before idzik launched him. imo sanchez just didn't have the maturity to put in all of the hard work necessary to succeed, especially in the ny market.

I always  thought he took too many hits and became less accurate, turning Al Toon into a prime target for Das

55 minutes ago, Pcola said:

O'Brien didn't cross the picket line, that was Pat Ryan and only for the last week/game.

i didn't mean to imply he crossed the picket line only that the strike was very disruptive. funny how during the previous strike the jets made it to the afce mud bowl game.  this later one was much worse primarily because of the strike players.  i know gastinaeau crossed the line and todd came out of retirement too.  the funny thing is gastineau was handled pretty well by the opposing team's strike players.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:33 PM, CanadaSteve said:

All good points about the Oline man.  This is ANOTHER good reason why the NFL needs a farm system. 

They tried it, and it doesn't make money. If it doesn't make money, it's not going to last. The Euro league died,as did the FXFL, which folded after 2 seasons last year. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i didn't mean to imply he crossed the picket line only that the strike was very disruptive. funny how during the previous strike the jets made it to the afce mud bowl game.  this later one was much worse primarily because of the strike players.  i know gastinaeau crossed the line and todd came out of retirement too.  the funny thing is gastineau was handled pretty well by the opposing team's strike players.

Gotcha and agree.  The strike was incredibly divisive.  In fact, when Gastineau crossed Reggie McElroy spit in his face.  I can't see how Walton could have prevented the team from going to crap.  And I do remember how exciting it was watching the Jets eliminate the Giants from the playoffs that last game is of 1988.  But all it did was prolonging the inevitable.  Kind of like 2015.  Everyone who understands this team knew it was fools gold and that the bottoming out was soon to follow.

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

in 3 postseason games he rushed 49 times for 267 yards, 5.4 YPC, 5 TDs.  They don't get to the SB w/o Curtis(and w/o Denver getting upset by jacksonville)

I was talking the whole season however since your talking post season in the bowl he did have 43 yds on 13 carries which was much better then the 14 yds on 13 carries he had for the Jets in 1998 AFCCG.. :)  

12 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I was talking the whole season however since your talking post season in the bowl he did have 43 yds on 13 carries which was much better then the 14 yds on 13 carries he had for the Jets in 1998 AFCCG.. :)  

just like 1998 he was still a threat D's had to gameplan for which opened up the p[ass game. In the SB he only had 11 carries for 42 yds and a TD. maybe if they didn't abandon the run game and try to rely on Drew and the pass game they would have won or had a chance? or maybe if another non LT led BB D didn't fold in big a spot?

On 9/15/2017 at 9:15 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Someone made a great point in another thread that it does not matter who they bring in to coach this team because we keep failing to provide them with the obvious: A QB that can play.  So I thought, let's take a look at our coaching history, and see who was saddled with whom. I skipped over the Joe Namath era and a few years after, and started with Walt Michaels, only because that is the first Jet coach that I TRULY remember as a kid, and I skipped over one year wonders Pete Carroll and Al Groh:

Walt Michaels (1977 - 1982): Matt Domres (2 games) Richard Todd (16) Matt Robinson (13) Richard Todd (56)

Results: 2 playoff appearances, including 1 AFC Championship

Joe Walton (1983 - 1989): Kyle Mackey (1), Tony Eason (2), David Norrie (2), Richard Todd (16), Pat Ryan (19),  Ken O'Brien (71)

Results: 2 Wild card appearances

Bruce Coslet (1990 - 1993): Browning Nagle (13), Boomer Esiason (16), Ken O'Brien (35)

Results: 1 wild card game

Rich Kotite (1995-1996): Glenn Foley (3). Bubby Brister (4), Neil O'Donnell (6), Frank Reich (7), Boomer Esiason (12)

Results: Whole lotta BAD

Bill Parcells (1997 - 1999): Glenn Foley (5), Rick Mirer (6), Ray Lucas (9), Vinny Testaverde (13)

Results: 1 AFC Championship

Herman Edwards (2001 - 2005): Quincy Carter (3), Brooks Bollinger (9), Vinny Testaverde (31), Chad Pennington (37)

Results: 3 playoff appearances out of 5 seasons

Eric Mangini (2006 - 2008): Kellen Clemens (8), Brett Favre (16), Chad Pennington (24)

Results: 1 playoff appearance

Rex Ryan (2009 - 2014): Kellen Clemens (1), Greg McElroy (1), Michael Vick (3), Geno Smith (29), Mark Sanchez (62)

Results: 2 AFC Championship appearances

Todd Bowles (2015 - Now): Geno Smith (1), Josh McCown (1), Bryce Petty (4), Ryan Fitzpatrick (27)

The 'best' coaches,  Walt Michaels, Joe Walton, Rex Ryan and Herman Edwards (appearances in the playoffs)  had one thing in common: stability at quarterback.  The longest tenured starters, Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Vinny Testaverde, and Chad Pennington, gave their coaches more starts.  They are also the four best QB's to play on the team since Namath (although, that is not saying much for Richard Todd). 

So, whether Todd Bowles stays or not, or Bill Cowher comes out of retirement, unless we solve that QB issue, it isn't going to matter. 

To me, it is unfortunate that this league has evolved over time to become more reliant on just one player.  But, it is what it is.......

I get your point, but I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw the words Joe Walton associated with best coaches. He was an awful coach. Walt Michaels had built a juggernaut that was poised for continued success. But, it was derailed because managements' wives were upset by his drunken conduct on the flight back from the mud bowl. Walton then proceeded to waste the best years of the most dominant D line of the era, and somehow could not figure out how to win with a great O line and running game. His paranoia dictated his decisions as to who to play and how to run the team. He without question singlehandedly destroyed the Jets best chances for a superbowl since the Namath era, and wasted the best years of the players and team put together by Walt Michaels.

Sorry for the digression, but Joe Walton is one the three people in Jets history that anger me the most.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I get your point, but I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw the words Joe Walton associated with best coaches. He was an awful coach. Walt Michaels had built a juggernaut that was poised for continued success. But, it was derailed because managements' wives were upset by his drunken conduct on the flight back from the mud bowl. Walton then proceeded to waste the best years of the most dominant D line of the era, and somehow could not figure out how to win with a great O line and running game. His paranoia dictated his decisions as to who to play and how to run the team. He without question singlehandedly destroyed the Jets best chances for a superbowl since the Namath era, and wasted the best years of the players and team put together by Walt Michaels.

Sorry for the digression, but Joe Walton is one the three people in Jets history that anger me the most.

Oh, I do not disagree with anything you have said.  I couldn't believe when Michaels was fired, and I was a young teen back then! Success was used only in the sense that from a coaching standpoint, his teams went to the playoffs.  The only reason Walton went to the playoffs was off of the back of Michaels and the team he inherited.  I guess there should have been a disclaimer that while he gets credited for going to the playoffs twice, when in actuality, Michaels should have been credited with 4 appearances! 

Archived