I just don't get it

Ex-Rex

The Jets have needed a QB for the longest time, but yet it seems that every other team in the league when they need one they get one. Philly traded up and got Wentz, as did the Rams for Bradford. May not have worked out like they planned but he is a solid QB. The Jets just spin their wheels year after year taking bums like Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg and to a lesser degree Bryce Petty. The Browns, Texans, Chiefs and Bears ALL got QB's while the Jets got a pair of safeties. Even Buffalo got Nathan Peterman - who they deemed ready to start for Tyrod Taylor - and the Lions got Brad Kaaya. Maybe the latter two aren't much better than what the Jets have, but those teams made the moves to find out. Just about every single one of these guys is better than what I have seen from Hackenberg who looks as much of a wasted second round pick as Stephen Hill or Vlad Ducasse. Can Mac actually TELL if a QB is good or not? That is the real question folks, because now we are in full 'Suck for Sam' mode, but is Darnold the guy? Will Mac actually be able to identify 'the guy'? I guess we'll see because if he can't he needs to be shown the door along with gutless wonder Todd Bowles.

I think if Macc is still here next year which I think is going to happen he's going to have to stake his claim and take a QB in the first rd. and start him immediately.  This team hasn't done that since Sanchez and instead has been wasting time  on developmental 2nd, 3rd and 4th rd pickcs with guys like Geno Smith, Hack etc...  For all of Tanny's faults he at least showed some balls and went out and traded down to go get Sanchez.  If we're not in a position in the draft to take a QB then Macc needs to do everything in his power to trade down to get one.  End of story.

15 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets have needed a QB for the longest time, but yet it seems that every other team in the league when they need one they get one. Philly traded up and got Wentz, as did the Rams for Bradford. May not have worked out like they planned but he is a solid QB. The Jets just spin their wheels year after year taking bums like Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg and to a lesser degree Bryce Petty. The Browns, Texans, Chiefs and Bears ALL got QB's while the Jets got a pair of safeties. Even Buffalo got Nathan Peterman - who they deemed ready to start for Tyrod Taylor - and the Lions got Brad Kaaya. Maybe the latter two aren't much better than what the Jets have, but those teams made the moves to find out. Just about every single one of these guys is better than what I have seen from Hackenberg who looks as much of a wasted second round pick as Stephen Hill or Vlad Ducasse. Can Mac actually TELL if a QB is good or not? That is the real question folks, because now we are in full 'Suck for Sam' mode, but is Darnold the guy? Will Mac actually be able to identify 'the guy'? I guess we'll see because if he can't he needs to be shown the door along with gutless wonder Todd Bowles.

well there is a chance that mac does have a plan for qb that may or may not include hack or petty.  i think in the last draft he did make a play for trubitsky but wasn't willing to part with a ton of choices to move up.  but i get your point.  other teams seem to have little compunction about going out and getting a qb if they don't have one.  that's one reason why having a revolving door with the coaches isn't such a good idea.  not saying bowles has shown he belongs but imo the jury is still out.

If the Jets f*ck up this opportunity by winning a couple of extra games or drafting the wrong guy in April...then they will never reach a SB in my lifetime.  Therefore, I will disown this franchise as they are no longer worth investing/wasting so many hours of my life with more productive things to do.

If they draft another defensive player, then someone should consider burning down Florham Park.

26 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Yeah, but how are any of those teams at safety?

This assumes that the point of the Jets is to win games. It seems obvious but the evidence would point to the Jets as a tomato can operation. Someone who gives the champ a warmup. The Washington Generals don't win, no one expects them to. 

The point of the Jets is to put on a show and lose. And laugh all the way to the bank as the league's 5th most valuable franchise

Now the QB picks should make sense. 

3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Browns Texans Chiefs Bears still don't know if they have their future long term starter at QB. 

Watson is already starting in Houston and I think Trubisky will before the season is over. Mahomes is not n a good spot, much like Aaron Rodgers I think he will sit for a few more seasons while Alex Smith plays. Kiser is also starting for the Browns, so those team have a better idea if they have a franchise QB than the Jets. 

When there is a QB that you like in the draft, then you have to do everything in your power to move heaven and earth to get your guy.  You don't hope he falls to you, you don't wait to take him in the 2nd round, you go get him.  Either we have not been willing to do that, or we have not been willing to pay the price to do that.

With a little luck, next year should be the year we can get our guy.  If we don't have one of the top 2 picks, its gonna be tough, since we are not going to have the draft ammunition to outbid a SF, Bur or Buf team that is loaded with picks.

I think the overreaction to Hack's struggles is of epic dis-proportion. Using the exact same offense as we trotted out last Sunday, Hack looked very decent. When they tried to open it up, the OL failed spectacularly and he struggled pretty badly. That does not mean he is a bust or no longer has upside. It is a testament to how incredibly poorly this team is built. Put Hack behind a decent oline and he would look like a different player. That said, I think Petty is the guy but Bowles literally seems to hate him.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Put Hack behind a decent oline and he would look like a different player. 

That would have been helpful advice for Penn State in 2014. Christian Hackenberg is ruined. He is the worst QB currently employed by any team in the league. The guy could be playing against air and still not hit his targets. 

13 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Watson is already starting in Houston and I think Trubisky will before the season is over. Mahomes is not n a good spot, much like Aaron Rodgers I think he will sit for a few more seasons while Alex Smith plays. Kiser is also starting for the Browns, so those team have a better idea if they have a franchise QB than the Jets. 

Not better idea. Just much better starting point. 

52 minutes ago, Lith said:

When there is a QB that you like in the draft, then you have to do everything in your power to move heaven and earth to get your guy.  You don't hope he falls to you, you don't wait to take him in the 2nd round, you go get him.  Either we have not been willing to do that, or we have not been willing to pay the price to do that.

With a little luck, next year should be the year we can get our guy.  If we don't have one of the top 2 picks, its gonna be tough, since we are not going to have the draft ammunition to outbid a SF, Bur or Buf team that is loaded with picks.

This.

The phrase "mortgaging the future" makes my blood boil.

THERE. IS. NO. FUTURE. WITHOUT. A FRANCHISE. QUARTERBACK.

Take a shot at one when you can. Cost be damned.  If he fails, try again 5 years later. 

if there are only 8 great QB's in a 32 team league, one strategery would be to load up on defense and a running game.

One of the best predictors of superbowl participants is passer rating differential.  Recently the plan was "If you can't boost your own guys rating up much, get the other guys rating down."

The jets have spent 2 decades on the hampster wheel of mediocrity, they finally might suck the year where it could pay off to suck !

The plan seems to be to get a QB, spend a ton of money, and hopefully our window opens as Brady's window closes

All I am saying, is give suck a chance.....

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

This assumes that the point of the Jets is to win games. It seems obvious but the evidence would point to the Jets as a tomato can operation. Someone who gives the champ a warmup. The Washington Generals don't win, no one expects them to. 

The point of the Jets is to put on a show and lose. And laugh all the way to the bank as the league's 5th most valuable franchise

Now the QB picks should make sense. 

So when they traded up for Mark Sanchez , this line of thinking would leave one to believe that the front office and coaches knew he would fail and decided to spend extra money on him instead of waiting and trying for Josh Freeman . Throwing a boatload of Money at Neil O'Donnell  was for the same exact reason . 

Does it serve some particular purpose that educated folk act like they never saw a classroom  ?

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Again no idea how any of these qb will turn out. They're rookies going into week 2. Grass is greener. Also hack is the same age as these guys

Not defending hack but he is only 22 and won't be 23 till February. Hack didn't have a redshirt year in college. So last year's redshirt is not a big deal to me. He's got plenty of time to improve. Not saying he will but fans and media should chill.

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

To be fair, Watson is starting because he's a bit of an upgrade over Tom Savage. Hardly a ringing endorsement. And Savage had to show he wasn't that good first, Watson didn't win it outright.

I was wondering today ... if Bowles did with his QBs what O'Brien has done in Houston, would he be (a) applauded, (b) ripped, or (c) given the "wait and see" approach? My guess is (b) - "he hasn't a clue, can't make up his mind, doesn't know what he's doing". Not sure what the Texans fans are thinking of it all. You name a guy the starter then flip flop after 30 minutes of football?

2 hours ago, Larz said:

if there are only 8 great QB's in a 32 team league, one strategery would be to load up on defense and a running game.

One of the best predictors of superbowl participants is passer rating differential.  Recently the plan was "If you can't boost your own guys rating up much, get the other guys rating down."

The jets have spent 2 decades on the hampster wheel of mediocrity, they finally might suck the year where it could pay off to suck !

The plan seems to be to get a QB, spend a ton of money, and hopefully our window opens as Brady's window closes

All I am saying, is give suck a chance.....

I am just wondering how long it will be before Great Britain declares war on us

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If the Jets f*ck this opportunity up by winning a couple of extra games or drafting the wrong guy in April...then they will never reach a SB in my lifetime.  Therefore, I will disown this franchise as they are no longer worth investing/wasting so many hours of my life with more productive things to do.

If they draft another defensive player, then someone should consider burning down Florham Park.

How old are you?   I used to laugh in college..I want a SB in my lifetime.  Well.... its 30 years later, im not laughing anymore.:(

Unfortunately, Bowles needs to go.  You don't punt down by two scoring drives with 4 minutes left under any circumstances.  The fact that he doesn't get that is reason enough to fire him.  I hold Macc responsible for drafting two safeties in rounds 1 and 2.  That is an unacceptable waste of high draft picks.  I would fire both at the end of the season and bring in proven winners.  Offer Harbaugh whatever he wants.  He should pick our franchise QB.

7 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If the Jets f*ck up this opportunity by winning a couple of extra games or drafting the wrong guy in April...then they will never reach a SB in my lifetime.  Therefore, I will disown this franchise as they are no longer worth investing/wasting so many hours of my life with more productive things to do.

I think this is a little extreme mr highway man

#suckforsam

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

We should have been drafting a QB every year until we found one. 

Nothing else matters. 

We pretty much have done that.  Sanchez, Geno, McElroy, Boyd, Petty, & Hack.

We need to seriously invest time and scouting and stop giving over positions the priority.  They fell in love with Hack because they weren't going to have to invest a 1st round pick on him so they could address other defensive needs.

I'm absolutely convinced that had we had the 2nd pick in this draft, we would have taken Adams over Trubisky.

Scouting the QBs should be the only priority right now.  They need to find a QB that can be the face of the franchise for the next 15 years and take him at the top of the draft.

Jets fans have been patient enough.  Our offense has sucked every year that Woody has owned the team, except the Favre year.  If they don't solve the QB problem this offseason, my patience will be gone.

11 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Agree but I would remind all of you, when we went to back to back AFCCGs, it wasn't because we drafted Mark Sanchez, it was because in prior year we drafted Brick, Mangold, and Slauson, and picked up Damien Woody and Randy Thomas. Sanchez looked good because he played behind what had to be considered the best offensive line in football. 

Jets need to do something to rebuild that offensive line. Brandon Shell is showing promise, and Carpenter has played pretty well since coming here. Other than that, we really have no talent at the position. If that's the case next year, it really won't matter who's playing QB.

Archived