The Mike Glennon era is off to one heck of a start

RutgersJetFan

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Such good points. Based on who Petty was playing with last year how do you really evaluate him? No Decker, rookie UDFA, 2 Olineman that started he season, always playing from behind because the defense had already thrown in the towel (this is important, its hard enough to win in this league but trying to make up 13 points?) look at what Flacco looked like getting behind the Jags. That's why I keep stressing about MCCown teaching this team & the backups the WCO. Josh is awesome because hes not selfish. The one thing he said that I really admired was that I'm 38, I don't have many years left but if I can teach these guys to play QB & see them succeed after I'm retired that would make me very happy. How can you not cheer for a guy like that? He's the ANTI FITZ.

Clearly, I cannot. It is difficult. I hope the CS and Mac can. I would hate to waste the wealth of picks if we had the guy on the team. I would hat to give a rookie another 3 years only to find out he isn't the one. Hopefully, what ever direction we go, we can build a competent team around the QB; the Colts are a perfect example of why that is necessary. Either way, if McCown is the right guy to be a backup, mentor, leader, and step in a game or tow based on injury - that would be great. I would hate to go through another year like last year, however. Here is hoping for the best...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't opposed to bringing Glennon in but it looks like the Jets made the right move by not doing so.  What do you know?  A Jets non-move that actually panned out for the better?  You know what they say?  even a broken clock is right twice a day.  The Jets are our broken clock. Almost.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean that was a dirty hit that will result in a suspension. That's not "football."

That is one way to rationalize the game being safer than it is.

Another viewpoint is that there are plenty of "clean hits," or regular collisions, that are equally dangerous.

Just now, RoadFan said:

That is one way to rationalize the game being safer than it is.

Another viewpoint is that there are plenty of "clean hits," or regular collisions, that are equally dangerous.

It's a dangerous game with risks. I just thought your previous comment was an obvious overreaction to a particularly violent illegal hit that will likely result in a fine and suspension.

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's a dangerous game with risks. I just thought your previous comment was an obvious overreaction to a particularly violent illegal hit that will likely result in a fine and suspension.

Understandable.  I can come across as condescending and obnoxious. 

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

On hits as egregious as that, the NFL should adopt the NHL's approach, and suspend Trevathan until Adams is back on the field.  If it's a season-ender, that's the suspension.  And if it's a career ender ... that's the suspension.  

Unfortunately Doggin, that is not the NHL approach.  The NHL has some stiffer penalties, although they are inconsistent.  Now, the OHL (Ontario Hockey League), which is one of the minor league systems for Canada, does adopt this approach. 

I watched the second half. Glennon made some great throws. A lot of his receivers were dropping the ball all night. Other times, he threaded the needle and put in i to hia guys arms i  traffic only to be undone by great db hands

Not sayimg he was great, but if those guys held on it would be a much different story. 

Oh yea hes also twice as good as any jet qb. Its early lets revisit this week 12

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I watched the second half. Glennon made some great throws. A lot of his receivers were dropping the ball all night. Other times, he threaded the needle and put in i to hia guys arms i  traffic only to be undone by great db hands

Not sayimg he was great, but if those guys held on it would be a much different story. 

Oh yea hes also twice as good as any jet qb. Its early lets revisit this week 12

Yup, and in week twelve we will be judging Trubinsky because Glennon will be where he belongs; warming a bench for the starter.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:12 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Im going to enjoy that 6 million paid to McCown to guarantee our #1 spot in the draft next season. 

It's too early in the season to address the thread baiting. Gonna go back to the game thread now. 

Fitz may have sh*t the bed as did the entire offense but the guy threw 31 TD's .... He was paid low end starter money on 1 year deal. You wanted Glennon here on what would have been a long term deal which would have been 10x worse since Fitz is now gone. Fitz was not the long term answer, everyone knew that but he was our only choice unfortunately leading a team of washed up Veterans trying to make one more decent run at the playoffs.

What exactly did Glennon do to prove anything ? He had decent stats in small sample size. That's it.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Fitz may have sh*t the bed as did the entire offense but the guy threw 31 TD's .... He was paid low end starter money on 1 year deal. You wanted Glennon here on what would have been a long term deal which would have been 10x worse since Fitz is now gone. Fitz was not the long term answer, everyone knew that but he was our only choice unfortunately leading a team of washed up Veterans trying to make one more decent run at the playoffs.

What exactly did Glennon do to prove anything ? He had decent stats in small sample size. That's it.

Smash is finally going in on a sh*tty QB, and let me tell you something folks: I am here for it

On 9/18/2017 at 8:03 AM, JiF said:

Glennon is poop and this was predictable but at least they doubled down on the position that matters the most when they took Trubisky.

Its cool though, the Jets doubled down on safeties and just look at the pay off!.  

Remember when Glennon was pissed about the Trubisky pick, and people thought he'd use that as motivation to have a great year?

16 hours ago, PS17 said:

Through a smart QB's eyes. He knows everything going on during every play on both sides of the ball. 

Also, he's a bit unpolished as an announcer, in a good way. He has a ton of insight, wants to share it all, and has the emotions of a fan or a player on the team. Refreshing take.

His awkwardness as an announcer should get better as he becomes more comfortable in the booth. 

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

"10x worse"

Fitz $12m guaranteed - actually initially we offered $15m guaranteed, which would have been $18m in practical terms, and Fitz turned it down. On Glennon's "long term deal" he's getting $18m guaranteed. So $18m must be 10x worse than $12m.

But then, we're also paying McCown $6m minimum. Glennon's guarantee = $18m; Fitz + McCown's guarantee = $18m

"only choice"

Because there weren't any QBs taken in the draft that we could justify getting within 100 ft of the huddle. Choosing to not re-sign him - just like no one else chose to sign him - was simply impossible.

Do some more of these for me please. :P

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"10x worse"

Fitz $12m guaranteed - actually initially we offered $15m guaranteed - and Glennon's getting $18m guaranteed. So $18m is 10x worse than $12m.

But then, we're also paying McCown $6m minimum. Glennon's guarantee = $18m; Fitz + McCown's guarantee = $18m

"only choice"

Because there weren't any QBs taken in the draft that we could justify getting within 100 ft of the huddle. Choosing to not re-sign him - just like no one else chose to sign him - was simply impossible.

Do some more of these for me please. :P

Please. if the Jets wanted Glennon it would have been on a long term deal, comparing that to a 1 year deal with Fitz is ridiculous. 

Once again our owner wanted one more run with the vets we had, and it was obvious or we would have had the fire sale one year earlier. No way in hell would any GM have not signed Fitz after the year he had and the state of the team at that time. Just be happy it was for one year and now hes gone. Not to mention Fitz was already familar with the offense so a guy like Gelnnon wioth his small sample size would have had to come in here and learn a whole new offense.

54 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Please. if the Jets wanted Glennon it would have been on a long term deal, comparing that to a 1 year deal with Fitz is ridiculous. 

Once again our owner wanted one more run with the vets we had, and it was obvious or we would have had the fire sale one year earlier. No way in hell would any GM have not signed Fitz after the year he had and the state of the team at that time. Just be happy it was for one year and now hes gone. Not to mention Fitz was already familar with the offense so a guy like Gelnnon wioth his small sample size would have had to come in here and learn a whole new offense.

lol I don't see why it's $18m for the Bears but it would have to be so much more than that for the Jets. Is Maccagnan a special imbecile?

The rest of your "the owner wanted" is in your head. Woody's a lot of things, and few of them complimentary, but there's no evidence or so much as a hint of a leak that he forced Fitzpatrick onto Maccagnan (nor that he forced any player onto him in 3 years). Maccagnan has maintained otherwise himself.

19 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Where is that Charlie Brown GUY!!!

He was the one writing post after post along with Villain stating that we get Glennon, now where is he hiding!!!  What is he going to say "it's early yet"!!

All I can say is where is he....... :)  

BLOCKHEAD.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol I don't see why it's $18m for the Bears but it would have to be so much more than that for the Jets. Is Maccagnan a special imbecile?

The rest of your "the owner wanted" is in your head. Woody's a lot of things, and few of them complimentary, but there's no evidence or so much as a hint of a leak that he forced Fitzpatrick onto Maccagnan (nor that he forced any player onto him in 3 years). Maccagnan has maintained otherwise himself.

In a word yes.

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I watched the 1st half. He was terrible. Threw a pick six and got stripped. The guy maybe better than any Jets QB but that's the sorry state of the position on the Jets not a result of Glennon's "Talent".:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When did I say it would be so much more for the Jets ? I was assuming a multiyear deal in the range of 18 mil per. for Glennon which would have been much worse than the 12 mil one year deal we gave Fitz and its not even close.

If you think for a sec the Jets and the entire organization didn't think they were playoff capable last year then you're the one not thinking.

If the Jets felt they were not playoff capable they would not have signed a few more 30 + vets last year and they certainly would not have signed Fitz. 

Also if you think the GM does not sit down and discuss the state of the team and how he proceeds to move forward with the owner of said team once again you're not thinking. With that being said the Moves Macc made, made it clear they felt they could make one last run, just like the moves he made this off-season made it clear we are in a full rebuild mode and probably intend to tank for a high pick. When I say TANK I mean tank by default.... of course the players and coaches always try to win but you can't win with a roster that's just been gutted to add all new young players unless somehow all those players happen to play at a very unexpected high level. Like they did aganist the Fins.

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

He was wrapped up for one and its defensiveness receiver. Are you crazy?

He was still churning his legs, and ref hadn't blown the whistle. He was still a runner. They teach play to the whistle, and we see guy's break out of those arm tackles for a few extra yards often enough. Bad hit yes, malicious not at all.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:59 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Perhaps. Mind you, I don't have a dog in this race, but here's the funny part.

The time @Villain The Foe was having the most fun littering the most threads in advocating for getting Glennon was the prior year (2016) than this past offseason. At the time it would have allegedly cost a 2nd rounder, but back then Glennon still had a year left on his contract - plus the ability to tag him this year if needed - for a cheap-$ tryout. So we wouldn't need (and wouldn't have done) the $18m guaranteed Chicago gave him to be the top bidder. 

This means the net would have been

• missing out on drafting Christian Hackenberg (~$3-4m savings, depending on when he gets cut)
  • failing to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose cap hit is/was higher ($12m savings)
  • pay Glennon ~$1.7m for the 2016 season, where any extension beyond that could've been a non-guaranteed team option at a high amount ($15m+/year) that we wouldn't end up paying.

Net savings: $13-14m over doing what we did instead.

Then there's the further chance - if the stories are to be believed that someone else would have grabbed Hack before our 3rd round pick - that the next-best QB on our board would have been Dak Prescott, and maybe we'd have grabbed him in round 3 or 4. Then Glennon would have been let go to FA in 2017, or retained as a backup for 1/3 or less (of what he's getting now). If let go in 2017 (don't exercise team option for extension), we'd recover a comp pick in 2018.

Indirectly, trading our (2016) 2nd rounder to Washington for him may have been a far better move than what we did instead.

One-upping Chicago for him in 2017 though? Yeah, bullet dodged. Or it certainly looks that way so far.

A tear of joy just came to my eye watching you come to my defense! ;-)

17 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I swore what I wrote was about McCown. lol. 

Actually, what I wanted was for the Jets to trade Wilkerson to Tampa for Glennon while still on his rookie deal. ROOKIE DEAL! 

I would sift through the threads, but when have facts ever meant anything. Matter of fact, when @Warfish asked me "If I was Macagnan would I have given Glennon the deal that Chicago gave him",  I said "no". Though he got on me for it, I stated that it was too much money. 

Everything you're saying, comparing this Glennon contract being 10x worse than Fitz is pretty much fake news my friend. Go ask warfish for yourself. And when you're done, no need to apologize for jumping the gun. You could have simply said Glennon is trash to you. Everything else above was imaginary. 

Archived