Sunday night game reminds me... Met Life stadium sucks...

Embrace the Suck

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like MetLife stadium. Great views, good food and beer, no bathroom lines, nice big open space on a beautiful day.  I love it. Outside looks like an AC, yes, but isn't it the inside that counts?

That Atl one does look cool....will give ya that. But ours is beautiful inside, too.

On 9/18/2017 at 9:10 AM, Stark said:

2025 - this is the first year that we can "opt out" of the stadium deal, correct? 

I wish that Woody would start figuring out a way to get us into our own stadium. Seriously, this is ridiculous. Spend the money Johnson.

Absurdity!  Why does NY need 2 football stadiums when they're only for 10-12 games a year (8 regular season, 2 preseason and at most 2 post-season).  

On 9/19/2017 at 7:03 PM, ECURB said:

You spend 90% of your time watching this area...

image.png

Please tell me why the color of the outside or the roof line matter...lol

Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't know all opinions had to be run by you first... Why have you responded to a post you find irrelevant multiple time? I wonder if acoustics were considered at all in the design. There you go now the sh*tty design talk is field relevant.

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Absurdity!  Why does NY need 2 football stadiums when they're only for 10-12 games a year (8 regular season, 2 preseason and at most 2 post-season).  

Because one in Manhattan could be used for other venues. I could walk out of the stadium and party somewhere other than a parking lot, which is cool, but I don't mind variety either. 

The new stadium was constructed so poorly.  They built it for the suites.  The mezzanine and upper level views became much worse.  Part of that is building codes these days and part of it is more focus on luxury suites.

They also built it so that basically the only gates to use to get in are the Pepsi and Verizon gates.  As a result it's a pain to take the escalators up to each level. 

On 9/19/2017 at 10:35 PM, Cornfed said:

I like MetLife stadium. Great views, good food and beer, no bathroom lines, nice big open space on a beautiful day.  I love it. Outside looks like an AC, yes, but isn't it the inside that counts?

Bingo.

I've seen them all, and they're all the same.  MetLife is no better or worse than any of the rest.  People just like to whine.

Concrete concourses, plastic seats, aluminum exteriors.  The color of a seat never won or lost a football game.  MetLife was poppin when we were AFC elites in 2010 and 2011.  No one complained about it at all.  But now that we're league doormats, shocker, the stadium sucks.  Bigger fish to fry people.

SAR I

52 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

The new stadium was constructed so poorly.  They built it for the suites.  The mezzanine and upper level views became much worse.  Part of that is building codes these days and part of it is more focus on luxury suites.

They also built it so that basically the only gates to use to get in are the Pepsi and Verizon gates.  As a result it's a pain to take the escalators up to each level. 

The stadium was not built for suites, the stadium was built for New York.  You can't have a 69,000 seat football stadium like Seattle does.  This isn't a tiny town.  Since it's construction, MetLife Stadium has the highest attendance in the AFC, the Jets are the biggest draw in the conference, even in terrible down years like this one.  It's a financial success and it accommodates Jets fans in a metropolitan area of 20 million people by having those extra 10,000 seats when needed.  Yes, those upper deck seats have worse views than in Giants Stadium.  You get what you pay for.

As for the gate structure, that's actually one of the stadium's biggest benefits as fans can't go from one quarter of the stadium to an adjacent quarter, it's like 4 separate stadiums in one.  At Giants Stadium, the concourses with easy access to all gates were a mess, you literally could go to the mezzanine or upper deck concourse and walk the entire circumference of the stadium.  Insanity at halftime with people going from one sideline around the endzones to the other sideline to see their friends, crashing into everyone as they jogged.  End of the game, people running like maniacs to the gate closest to where they parked, chaos with people running clockwise and counter clockwise.  All that back/forth is stopped now.  If you have seats in the Verizon quarter of the stadium, you enter the Verizon gate and that's where you stay.  You can go up and down, but you can't go across.  It makes the stadium far easier to load and unload, and it also reduces wait times at bathrooms and concession stands.

SAR I

Excepting Lambeau, everything else is kind of window dressing once the game starts. It would be pretty cool if all the stadiums could treat their attendees like Arthur Blank treats his, but on the other hand if you're downing 10 beers at a football game, making everyone get up every 10 minutes, and kicking the back of my seat, I take a little pleasure in the fact that you just dropped $120 for those.

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Starry eyed dreamers make lousy businessmen.

The key to the success of the Jets and Giants franchises is a shared stadium for the very reason you mention-  it's not about the money made on the 10 days a year a team plays, it's about the money that's lost on the 355 days it sits there empty as the worlds largest chip 'n dip.  The Jets and Giants each get 100% of their profits on their gate and eat only 50% of the losses.  That money goes into non-cap areas like coaches, coordinators, training facilities, travel facilities, equipment, etc.

A Manhattan stadium would have been a disaster.  12,000 less seats, higher ticket prices, higher PSL's, weekend tourists gobbling up tickets on a lark, no parking, no tailgating, the NJ and LI fanbases forced to visit the place they work in and want to get away from all week.  Nightmare.

The Jets are where they belong.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Excepting Lambeau, everything else is kind of window dressing once the game starts. It would be pretty cool if all the stadiums could treat their attendees like Arthur Blank treats his, but on the other hand if you're downing 10 beers at a football game, making everyone get up every 10 minutes, and kicking the back of my seat, I take a little pleasure in the fact that you just dropped $120 for those.

I've been to Lambeau, and while it looks good on TV it isn't good in person.

Anyone in the first 5-8 rows can't see over the players and the sideline cameras, many of the seats are high school aluminum benches, and the concourses are as narrow as the old Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park if you've been there, just dark and cramped.  The bathrooms?  Guys line up to urinate over a giant caldron, you step up on a wood step, whip out your junk, and with no dividers between you get to see 30 strangers hairy penises streaming into half a giant pipe.  There is no parking, we had to pay a homeowner $30 to leave our car on his front lawn trapped behind about 10 other cars after the game.  We had to rent a seat back for $5 so that we had some back support on the aluminum bench during the game.

Said it before I'll say it again-  all these stadiums are the same.  Big seating bowl surrounded by concrete.  The outer facades you see on TV is nothing more than snake oil. 

SAR I

On 9/19/2017 at 7:20 PM, HessStation said:

Every time I see a new stadium, ex. Was in ATL recently, that thing is sweet!!!

....New York ******* city

....TWO ******* teams share it

....and that's what you came up with???

holy sh*t. I remember when NYC meant something cooler

it's a dump

Falcons%2520Stadium%2520orig%2520170725D

So a bunch of triangles gets you all hard?

It's football, not ballet.  Facade design doesn't matter.  And MetLife looks like a skyscraper.  Have you looked at a modern building in Manhattan recently?  Lots of aluminum.  Lots of louvers.  If MetLife is symmetrical and cold, well, welcome to The Spirit Of Manhattan Architecture.  There's nothing about the stadium in Atlanta that says "Atlanta" or "Falcons".  Looks like a f-cking mess to me.  Never seen so many grown men cry so much about how 'pretty' the outside of a stadium is.  Trust me, they don't care about this crap in New England or Pittsburgh and MetLife blows those two dumps out of the water.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I've been to Lambeau, and while it looks good on TV it isn't good in person.

Anyone in the first 5-8 rows can't see over the players and the sideline cameras, many of the seats are high school aluminum benches, and the concourses are as narrow as the old Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park if you've been there, just dark and cramped.  The bathrooms?  Guys line up to urinate over a giant caldron, you step up on a wood step, whip out your junk, and with no dividers between you get to see 30 strangers hairy penises streaming into half a giant pipe.  There is no parking, we had to pay a homeowner $30 to leave our car on his front lawn trapped behind about 10 other cars after the game.  We had to rent a seat back for $5 so that we had some back support on the aluminum bench during the game.

Said it before I'll say it again-  all these stadiums are the same.  Big seating bowl surrounded by concrete.  The outer facades you see on TV is nothing more than snake oil. 

SAR I

On 9/19/2017 at 6:46 PM, ECURB said:

Why do people complain about the stadium so much?

It has awesome sight lines and a great atmosphere when there is a reason for one. (see thanksgving game pre-butt fumble)

The outside design was done to reduce wind... and it has. Honestly though who the hell cares what it looks like outside? Is this team that boring now that you care how cool the stadium looks? I don't care if the outside was shaped like a giant dog turd if the field is nice and the views are good.

Bunch of cry babies in here looking for something to bitch about.

Well said.

The people complaining the loudest don't attend games and are instead in the business of making excuses for being bad stay-home fans.

"I'd go to games if there were no PSL's!"
"I'd go to games if the stadium was in Manhattan!"
"I'd go to games if MetLife were more pretty on the outside!"
"I'd go to games if the stadium didn't cost so much to build!"
"I'd go to games if we didn't share a stadium with another team!"
"I'd go to games if...."

Enough.  You don't go to games.  Period.  None of this stadium excuse stuff matters.  We ain't buying it.  Be a man, own your decision, tell the real reason why you aren't a season ticket holder.  It has nothing to do with the stadium.  It has to do with the shell game you played with ticket brokers for 30 years attending games for free, making a ton of money, and putting your kids through college on the backs of loyal fans on the waiting list.  Jets used the PSL process to weed out these bad fans who were perfectly fine collecting $100 a game in scalper blood money but would never consider the PSL fee of $7 a game.  Now all they do is complain.  They finally got what they deserved.  Makes me very happy.

SAR I

On 9/17/2017 at 11:33 PM, Integrity28 said:

Yea, had the same thought.

******* Jets are the B-team in a shared stadium that isn't even in their home ******* state. You can't make this sh*t up.

Arthur Blank seems like a cool rich guy, though. The pricing of concessions to make it family friendly is novel.

More like Fatman friendly. If said fat man  has five kids then even better. Mr. Blank is a friend to families and fatmen everywhere.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Falcons%2520Stadium%2520orig%2520170725D

So a bunch of triangles gets you all hard?

It's football, not ballet.  Facade design doesn't matter.  And MetLife looks like a skyscraper.  Have you looked at a modern building in Manhattan recently?  Lots of aluminum.  Lots of louvers.  If MetLife is symmetrical and cold, well, welcome to The Spirit Of Manhattan Architecture.  There's nothing about the stadium in Atlanta that says "Atlanta" or "Falcons".  Looks like a f-cking mess to me.  Never seen so many grown men cry so much about how 'pretty' the outside of a stadium is.  Trust me, they don't care about this crap in New England or Pittsburgh and MetLife blows those two dumps out of the water.

SAR I

Funny how the people who don't care probably have the most and longest replies to this thread. We get it, the PSL cost forces you to not care otherwise it starts looking like a poor investment.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Well said.

The people complaining the loudest don't attend games and are instead in the business of making excuses for being bad stay-home fans.

"I'd go to games if there were no PSL's!"
"I'd go to games if the stadium was in Manhattan!"
"I'd go to games if MetLife were more pretty on the outside!"
"I'd go to games if the stadium didn't cost so much to build!"
"I'd go to games if we didn't share a stadium with another team!"
"I'd go to games if...."

Enough.  You don't go to games.  Period.  None of this stadium excuse stuff matters.  We ain't buying it.  Be a man, own your decision, tell the real reason why you aren't a season ticket holder.  It has nothing to do with the stadium.  It has to do with the shell game you played with ticket brokers for 30 years attending games for free, making a ton of money, and putting your kids through college on the backs of loyal fans on the waiting list.  Jets used the PSL process to weed out these bad fans who were perfectly fine collecting $100 a game in scalper blood money but would never consider the PSL fee of $7 a game.  Now all they do is complain.  They finally got what they deserved.  Makes me very happy.

SAR I

It makes everyone without a PSL very happy knowing you paid full price for tickets this year and when they go 4-12 and you'll be paying full price without Sam Darnold next year.

This $7 a game is nonsense, not everyone wants or wanted to signup for a 30 year ticket plan.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, ECURB said:

Why do people complain about the stadium so much?

It has awesome sight lines and a great atmosphere when there is a reason for one. (see thanksgving game pre-butt fumble)

The outside design was done to reduce wind... and it has. Honestly though who the hell cares what it looks like outside? Is this team that boring now that you care how cool the stadium looks? I don't care if the outside was shaped like a giant dog turd if the field is nice and the views are good.

Bunch of cry babies in here looking for something to bitch about.

You are easily satisfied.  The moon has a better view of the field than the upper deck seats in MetLife.  I sit in Mezz A and have to go through a maze of corners and disjointed escalators to get to my seats.  The place is also a firetrap and if a quick evacuation is needed there will be major casualties as the crush of people leaving under normal circumstances is scary.  I have been to a lot of stadiums around the league and MetLife is the most poorly designed stadium I have ever been in.  The architect should be blacklisted.

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I have only 2 minor complaints regarding Metlife

1)  I only go 2-3 times a year. It would have been great to have a roof so pussies like me would go in late Nov Dec.

2) It is in NJ

Other than that I love it.

Roof:  3 of the biggest games in team history-  '68 AFL Championship Game vs. Raiders, '98 AFC Divisional Game vs. Jaguars, '02 Wildcard Game vs. Colts-  were all played outdoors in frigid weather against comfy warm weather or dome teams.  Do not underestimate the importance of weather to our homefield advantage.

NJ:  We were in New York for 23 years.  We have been in New Jersey for 34 years.  Anyone who was a typical 55 year old season ticket holder in Shea Stadium in 1983 is now 90 years old and no longer attending NFL games.  75% of Jets season ticket holders are from New Jersey.  We are a New York team with a New Jersey season ticket population, it's been that way since 1995.  We in New Jersey are not the Jets misfits anymore.  We are the core, you New Yorkers are the outliers.

SAR I

On 9/17/2017 at 10:51 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

:(

Sunday night game reminds me... Met Life stadium sucks... "..

...if i may, this past Sunday i went to the packers/falcons game here in atlanta with my most recent Future X-boyfriend.

MERCEDES-BENZ STADIUM..  Wow...  WOW !.. too cool ! !     :cloud9:

Seriously,.. check this out...http://mercedesbenzstadium.com/fly-through-mercedes-benz-stadium/

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer: 

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Funny how the people who don't care probably have the most and longest replies to this thread. We get it, the PSL cost forces you to not care otherwise it starts looking like a poor investment.

Investment?  PSL's?  LOL.

Here's some fun math for you:  PSL's for my 4 seats cost me $16,000 nine years ago.  Over the 30 year lifespan of the stadium, my 4 season tickets will cost me $200,000. 

PSL's were a spit in the ocean, a small $13 per game vig to get the Giants Stadium scalper squatters the hell out so I could get off the waitlist and into great seats.  I spend $16,000 on a single vacation each year, it's not money to me.  Being a season ticket holder is the real expense here and I don't recall any Jets fans criticizing other season ticket holders over their form of "investment" from 1983-2008 where they spent a boatload of money to watch the Jets.

Don't tell me what you do or don't "get" because you don't get it at all.  You see an acronym, you read what the media force-feeds you, you spend too much time worrying about how rich people spend their fun money.

SAR I

45 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

You are easily satisfied.  The moon has a better view of the field than the upper deck seats in MetLife.  I sit in Mezz A and have to go through a maze of corners and disjointed escalators to get to my seats.  The place is also a firetrap and if a quick evacuation is needed there will be major casualties as the crush of people leaving under normal circumstances is scary.  I have been to a lot of stadiums around the league and MetLife is the most poorly designed stadium I have ever been in.  The architect should be blacklisted.

Centurylink is not only a gorgeous stadium but there is not a bad seat in the entire house

MetLife is an eyesore it looks like an alien beehive

Archived