Injuries, Returner Update & Jenkins Status

Maxman

logo

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 9.18

On what the issue was on the big run plays allowed against Oakland…

Missed tackles.

On how to fix tackling during the season when teams have a limited number of padded practices…

We’ll fix it with practicing. We can do it with bags and everything else. We have to wrap up. We have to wrap up and keep our head up. That’s normal.

On if he attributes the missed tackles to youth or a lack of focus…

No, they’re just missed tackles. It’s not youth or a lack of focus. You just have to make the tackle.

On injury updates…

Brian (Winters) has a sore abdomen and Freddie (Bishop) has an ankle.

On how Dakota Dozier played after Winters left the game with an injury…

He did a good job while he was in there.

On if he feels he’ll learn a lot about the team over the next two home games…

Yes, I think we’re learning a lot. We learned a lot as the two weeks went by the past two weeks. But we’ll learn a lot more these next two weeks whether we can correct these mistakes, which I’m pretty sure we can.

On what he’s learned a lot about the team’s identity after two games…

We’ll were still learning about the identity part, but I know we have a lot of fight in us. We just have to not make the mistakes we’ve been making.

On if that fight gives him confidence that he can get the team going in a positive direction…

Yes, it does.

On what he’s seen from the locker room that gives him that confidence…

I know my team. I know the locker room. I’ve seen a lot. I’ve been around these guys quite a bit and I have every confidence in the world in them.

On how he feels about how the defense has played the first two weeks…

Disappointed, but I think we can get better and we will get better.

On Josh McCown after two games…

We’re 0-2, but Josh has done a good job so far, matching the offense and getting everybody lined up and making plays. He’s been steady.

On how much work Christian Hackenberg will get in practice as the third quarterback…

The second and third quarterbacks get to run scout team. They may take a few handoffs or something like that or throw the ball a little bit. They will get individual work.

On how hard it is for a young quarterback to develop without a lot of reps…

During the season, you don’t get a lot of reps. You get them in the spring and the summer. During the season, starters play. You get mental reps. That’s what you get.

On Buster Skrine being penalized for a personal foul and whether that’s a teaching moment for him to lower his target area when tackling…

It was a bang-bang play. If you look at the replay, it really looks like (he hits the opponent with) his shoulder, but if he wraps up when he makes the hit, I don’t know whether it’s called or not. It was a tough play. Buster’s not that tall to begin with so when you get there on a bang-bang play, it could’ve been a hit or not a hit on the helmet. I know it wasn’t targeting. He just needs to wrap up when he tackles.

On if the team’s tackling issues are due to fundamentals…

No, it’s not the fundamentals. We just missed a few tackles. It’s not everybody. It’s not a full-time thing. Those two plays just happened to happen. It’s not basic fundamentals for those guys.

On what it says about Hackenberg that he is the third quarterback…

He’s the newest of the bunch. The other two guys have played in the league. Bryce played the year before him. (He’s) learning a new offense. He made progress. It doesn’t say anything bad about him. He made progress. His chance will come and he’ll have time to fight again.

On if the linebackers needed to do a better job of getting off blocks on Cordarrelle Patterson’s touchdown run…

A lot of people got blocked on that play, but when you get blocked and you’re in your gap, we’re fine. We just have to make the tackle and we get up, live another day.

On if Hackenberg can be a productive starter in the NFL…

He has to work his way up there. He has a lot of football to play, and he has a lot of chances to grow so as he gains experience, we’ll see.

On how Juston Burris played…

He had some plays he’d like to have back. Obviously (Michael) Crabtree caught some touchdowns where you have to have better technique at the line, but he’ll get better.

On what Austin Seferian-Jenkins’ return does for the offense…

Hopefully, with our tight ends banged up, it’ll give us a healthy body. He’s been gone for two weeks so hopefully he has some recall and came back in shape and we’ll see as the week goes forward.

On if Seferian-Jenkins has been able to be in the building during his suspension…

Correct.

On if Seferian-Jenkins was able to do everything except practice during his suspension…

Right.

On if Seferian-Jenkins could attend meetings during his suspension…

Yes.

On if Kalif Raymond is still the returner or if they’ll consider a change…

We’ll look at it as the week goes and we’ll see what we want to do.

There is no excuse for missed tackles. Its Football 101, and someone isn't teaching it and someone isn't executing it. These guys may be faster, bigger, stronger than the average player, but it means nothing if you lack the simple fundamental of making a tackle. No excuse for it, period. Bowles needs to be held accountable. 

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can't stand Bowles answers anymore tbqh.  Not interested in his bullsh*t at this stage.

One of the main reasons I have developed such a disdain for the man. His demeanor is high and mighty like he has won the last 5 SB's.

59 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

One of the main reasons I have developed such a disdain for the man. His demeanor is high and mighty like he has won the last 5 SB's.

You have to take that approach with the media here.  They are going to crucify you no matter what, you don't need to give them any soundbytes or quotes to help them in their efforts. 

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

logo

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 9.18

On what the issue was on the big run plays allowed against Oakland…

Missed tackles.

On how to fix tackling during the season when teams have a limited number of padded practices…

We’ll fix it with practicing. We can do it with bags and everything else. We have to wrap up. We have to wrap up and keep our head up. That’s normal.

On if he attributes the missed tackles to youth or a lack of focus…

No, they’re just missed tackles. It’s not youth or a lack of focus. You just have to make the tackle.

On injury updates…

Brian (Winters) has a sore abdomen and Freddie (Bishop) has an ankle.

On how Dakota Dozier played after Winters left the game with an injury…

He did a good job while he was in there.

On if he feels he’ll learn a lot about the team over the next two home games…

Yes, I think we’re learning a lot. We learned a lot as the two weeks went by the past two weeks. But we’ll learn a lot more these next two weeks whether we can correct these mistakes, which I’m pretty sure we can.

On what he’s learned a lot about the team’s identity after two games…

We’ll were still learning about the identity part, but I know we have a lot of fight in us. We just have to not make the mistakes we’ve been making.

On if that fight gives him confidence that he can get the team going in a positive direction…

Yes, it does.

On what he’s seen from the locker room that gives him that confidence…

I know my team. I know the locker room. I’ve seen a lot. I’ve been around these guys quite a bit and I have every confidence in the world in them.

On how he feels about how the defense has played the first two weeks…

Disappointed, but I think we can get better and we will get better.

On Josh McCown after two games…

We’re 0-2, but Josh has done a good job so far, matching the offense and getting everybody lined up and making plays. He’s been steady.

On how much work Christian Hackenberg will get in practice as the third quarterback…

The second and third quarterbacks get to run scout team. They may take a few handoffs or something like that or throw the ball a little bit. They will get individual work.

On how hard it is for a young quarterback to develop without a lot of reps…

During the season, you don’t get a lot of reps. You get them in the spring and the summer. During the season, starters play. You get mental reps. That’s what you get.

On Buster Skrine being penalized for a personal foul and whether that’s a teaching moment for him to lower his target area when tackling…

It was a bang-bang play. If you look at the replay, it really looks like (he hits the opponent with) his shoulder, but if he wraps up when he makes the hit, I don’t know whether it’s called or not. It was a tough play. Buster’s not that tall to begin with so when you get there on a bang-bang play, it could’ve been a hit or not a hit on the helmet. I know it wasn’t targeting. He just needs to wrap up when he tackles.

On if the team’s tackling issues are due to fundamentals…

No, it’s not the fundamentals. We just missed a few tackles. It’s not everybody. It’s not a full-time thing. Those two plays just happened to happen. It’s not basic fundamentals for those guys.

On what it says about Hackenberg that he is the third quarterback…

He’s the newest of the bunch. The other two guys have played in the league. Bryce played the year before him. (He’s) learning a new offense. He made progress. It doesn’t say anything bad about him. He made progress. His chance will come and he’ll have time to fight again.

On if the linebackers needed to do a better job of getting off blocks on Cordarrelle Patterson’s touchdown run…

A lot of people got blocked on that play, but when you get blocked and you’re in your gap, we’re fine. We just have to make the tackle and we get up, live another day.

On if Hackenberg can be a productive starter in the NFL…

He has to work his way up there. He has a lot of football to play, and he has a lot of chances to grow so as he gains experience, we’ll see.

On how Juston Burris played…

He had some plays he’d like to have back. Obviously (Michael) Crabtree caught some touchdowns where you have to have better technique at the line, but he’ll get better.

On what Austin Seferian-Jenkins’ return does for the offense…

Hopefully, with our tight ends banged up, it’ll give us a healthy body. He’s been gone for two weeks so hopefully he has some recall and came back in shape and we’ll see as the week goes forward.

On if Seferian-Jenkins has been able to be in the building during his suspension…

Correct.

On if Seferian-Jenkins was able to do everything except practice during his suspension…

Right.

On if Seferian-Jenkins could attend meetings during his suspension…

Yes.

On if Kalif Raymond is still the returner or if they’ll consider a change…

We’ll look at it as the week goes and we’ll see what we want to do.

After reading this transcript, I have to wonder if Todd could pass a drug test.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I blame you, what kind of pleb puts ice in their scotch.

Might want to graduate up from Johnny Walker, mate.

man I have never been called a pleb. did not know what it was. you got a lot of balls calling me lower class.

I like ice with my black label. doesn't make me a pleb. you bourgeois ba$tard. ha.

6 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

man I have never been called a pleb. did not know what it was. you got a lot of balls calling me lower class.

I like ice with my black label. doesn't make me a pleb. you bourgeois ba$tard. ha.

Next time I'll call ya a prole then.  

When you're ready to upgrade your tastes, let me know.  :D

Archived