Jets won't say they're giving up on Hackenberg after demotion

joewilly12

Jets won’t say they’re giving up on Hackenberg after demotion

September 18, 2017 | 10:49pm

Two months ago, Christian Hackenberg entered training camp with a chance to be the Jets’ starting quarterback. Now he is third on the depth chart.

That became official Sunday when Bryce Petty was the backup against the Raiders after recovering from a sprained MCL in his left knee. With Petty healthy, Hackenberg was inactive.

It is a bad look for the 2016 second-round pick who was given every opportunity to win the starting job in training camp. But coach Todd Bowles downplayed the decision being a negative for Hackenberg.

“He’s the newest of the bunch,” Bowles said. “The other two guys have played in the league with Bryce being the year before him. He was learning a new offense. He made progress. It doesn’t say anything bad about him. He made progress. His chance will come and he’ll have time to fight again.”

Bowles said Hackenberg will split time running the scout team in practice with Petty. He will have to make the most of watching starter Josh McCown in practice.

“During the season, you don’t get a lot of reps,” Bowles said. “You get them in the spring and the summer. During the season, the starters play. You get mental reps, that’s what you get.”

McCown said he has simple advice for Hackenberg.

“Just to keep working,” McCown said. “The reality is Bryce has been in this league a year longer than Hack. For him, I think he’s just got to understand that he has to continue to grow and keep getting better.”

Bowles did not have an update on starting right guard Brian Winters, who suffered an abdomen injury Sunday.

Backup Dakota Dozier replaced Winters and played pretty well.

“Dakota did awesome,” center Wes Johnson said. “I was real happy for him. He actually played a great game. We didn’t really slow down. That speaks to the depth we have in the room and the way we all work together.”

CB Juston Burris had a rough day, giving up two touchdowns to Michael Crabtree and missing the tackle on Cordarrelle Patterson’s long touchdown run.

“He had some plays he’d like to have back, obviously,” Bowles said. “Crabtree caught some touchdowns. He’s got to have better technique at the line, but he’ll get better.”

The Jets get TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins back this week after he served a two-game suspension.

“Hopefully, with our tight ends banged up, it gives us a healthy body,” Bowles said. “He’s been gone for two weeks, so hopefully he has some recall and came back in shape. We’ll see as the week goes forward.”

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Doesn't matter, McCown plays till he gets hurt or we hit week 14.  

On the bright side the Hack/Petty/Macagnan Apologist Army will still have their excuse that we haven't seen enough of these crappy qb's yet to confirm they are crappy

Just now, Philc1 said:

On the bright side the Hack/Petty/Macagnan Apologist Army will still have their excuse that we haven't seen enough of these crappy qb's yet to confirm they are crappy

Im still not giving up on Petty at this point and time. Id like to see him get another chance and if he blows it or gets hurt then so be it. 

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets won’t say they’re giving up on Hackenberg after demotion

September 18, 2017 | 10:49pm

Two months ago, Christian Hackenberg entered training camp with a chance to be the Jets’ starting quarterback. Now he is third on the depth chart.

That became official Sunday when Bryce Petty was the backup against the Raiders after recovering from a sprained MCL in his left knee. With Petty healthy, Hackenberg was inactive.

It is a bad look for the 2016 second-round pick who was given every opportunity to win the starting job in training camp. But coach Todd Bowles downplayed the decision being a negative for Hackenberg.

“He’s the newest of the bunch,” Bowles said. “The other two guys have played in the league with Bryce being the year before him. He was learning a new offense. He made progress. It doesn’t say anything bad about him. He made progress. His chance will come and he’ll have time to fight again.”

Bowles said Hackenberg will split time running the scout team in practice with Petty. He will have to make the most of watching starter Josh McCown in practice.

“During the season, you don’t get a lot of reps,” Bowles said. “You get them in the spring and the summer. During the season, the starters play. You get mental reps, that’s what you get.”

McCown said he has simple advice for Hackenberg.

“Just to keep working,” McCown said. “The reality is Bryce has been in this league a year longer than Hack. For him, I think he’s just got to understand that he has to continue to grow and keep getting better.”

Bowles did not have an update on starting right guard Brian Winters, who suffered an abdomen injury Sunday.

Backup Dakota Dozier replaced Winters and played pretty well.

“Dakota did awesome,” center Wes Johnson said. “I was real happy for him. He actually played a great game. We didn’t really slow down. That speaks to the depth we have in the room and the way we all work together.”

CB Juston Burris had a rough day, giving up two touchdowns to Michael Crabtree and missing the tackle on Cordarrelle Patterson’s long touchdown run.

“He had some plays he’d like to have back, obviously,” Bowles said. “Crabtree caught some touchdowns. He’s got to have better technique at the line, but he’ll get better.”

The Jets get TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins back this week after he served a two-game suspension.

“Hopefully, with our tight ends banged up, it gives us a healthy body,” Bowles said. “He’s been gone for two weeks, so hopefully he has some recall and came back in shape. We’ll see as the week goes forward.”

It wasn't a "demotion"... Hack was only the backup last week because of Petty's injury, now that Petty is cleared to play he is the backup (although he should be the starter) & Hack IS where he belongs...  sitting.

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

It wasn't a "demotion"... Hack was only the backup last week because of Petty's injury, now that Petty is cleared to play he is the backup (although he should be the starter) & Hack IS where he belongs...  sitting.

And next year Hack will be where he truly belongs -- the CFL

They overdraft a known project quarterback who would need 3-4 years to develop. They WASTE his entire rookie season by giving him no reps in training camp and practice throughout the season.

Bring in a completely new offensive system the next year making whatever Hackenberg could learn his rookie year null and void. And the Jets staff and front office is surprised he had a training camp and preseason like he did? By all reports of training camp he wasn't that far off from McCown and Petty. 

But I don't know in any profession where someone can become better at their job, without actually doing it. Petty should have started the season, Hack back up reps, and seen if either was worth more than a backup by season's end. 

Instead they give their two project QB's limited reps and expect anything out of them? Really? Of course they're both going to suck. Neither is good enough to overcome lack of reps. They both need as much playing time as possible. 

43 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

They overdraft a known project quarterback who would need 3-4 years to develop. They WASTE his entire rookie season by giving him no reps in training camp and practice throughout the season.

Bring in a completely new offensive system the next year making whatever Hackenberg could learn his rookie year null and void. And the Jets staff and front office is surprised he had a training camp and preseason like he did? By all reports of training camp he wasn't that far off from McCown and Petty. 

But I don't know in any profession where someone can become better at their job, without actually doing it. Petty should have started the season, Hack back up reps, and seen if either was worth more than a backup by season's end. 

Instead they give their two project QB's limited reps and expect anything out of them? Really? Of course they're both going to suck. Neither is good enough to overcome lack of reps. They both need as much playing time as possible. 

Best chance to win...good chance to be competitive in most games. 

1 hour ago, sciond said:

so we draft a QB  most teams saw as a low round pick or a UDA in the second and expect better results right away?

He has a chance to be a serviceable possibly...

Just stop making stuff up

Hack may suck but no one had him as a late round pick or a UDFA. 

Don't just regurgitate the one article come up with a draft prediction that he should not have been drafted

Please post articals where someone that is at least a little known says what you just claimed. 

41 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'd like to see Hack get in there too but what would it even prove considering how crappy our offense is?  

39 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm not too hung up on lack of reps.  He's raw, he shouldn't be out there.  Starting a young QB too early could set them back.  You don't see Mahomes playing in KC and Aaron Rodgers was on the sideline for years before he started.

A few weeks ago we had Petty dead and buried, now there's a chance he'll play by end of season.  It's still possible for Hackenberg To take a step forward next season.

57 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd like to see Hack get in there too but what would it even prove considering how crappy our offense is?  

I think its more of the reports that the organization is disappointed with where he's at. They should be disappointed in themselves. They did Petty and Hack no favors. Petty should have been the back up last year and starting a lot sooner, and starting this year. 

58 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I'm not too hung up on lack of reps.  He's raw, he shouldn't be out there.  Starting a young QB too early could set them back.  You don't see Mahomes playing in KC and Aaron Rodgers was on the sideline for years before he started.

A few weeks ago we had Petty dead and buried, now there's a chance he'll play by end of season.  It's still possible for Hackenberg To take a step forward next season.

Yeah its possible and in the end of we could draft Darnold or Rosen, they'd have much higher ceilings than Hack or Petty. But, my issue is they did screwed over Petty and Hack, which leads me to believe they'll botch next year's draft pick's development as well. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Thank you Thank you. 

This is my concern or critique of what the Jets didn't do correctly with Hack or Petty as well.  

I also think fans have to back off Hack.   No one said he was going to be a year one or year two starter; why? Because he wasn't ready that is why and just because we drafted him doesn't magically make him ready.  

He really is a player that you have to wait until next year to see what you have or maybe even year four based upon his limited reps last year  

I for one wanted him drafted and still haven't given up on him.  ☺️

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Just stop making stuff up

Hack may suck but no one had him as a late round pick or a UDFA. 

Don't just regurgitate the one article come up with a draft prediction that he should not have been drafted

Please post articals where someone that is at least a little known says what you just claimed. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/heres-what-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughans-ideal-draft-weekend-might-look-like/2016/04/27/eb30012c-0be6-11e6-8ab8-9ad050f76d7d_story.html?utm_term=.399ade501bdb

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656285/article/mike-mayocks-2016-nfl-draft-position-rankings-50

Cook was a 4th round pick BTW- so where does that leave him

of course you know the PPF article was right about him not being even being able to rate him, a 3rd string QB behind behind a 4th round pick and a 38 journeyman.

But really you can spend your time trying to justify him as draft pick.....

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah its possible and in the end of we could draft Darnold or Rosen, they'd have much higher ceilings than Hack or Petty. But, my issue is they did screwed over Petty and Hack, which leads me to believe they'll botch next year's draft pick's development as well. 

Eh, it's a competition.  If either Petty, or Hackenberg had distinguished themselves they would be out there, so it's on them.

I still expect Petty to play once the offense starts to gel. I think we saw some improvement in the offense week 2 against a pretty 

good team.  Let's see what happens this week.  

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Are you completely sure it's the Jets staff and front office that's surprise about where Hackenberg is ? Everything that's being argued about on these boards is stuff the media puts out to get this reaction from fans .

The Jets coaching staff made Hack the backup because Petty wasn't healthy . Anyone who paid attention to the depth chart would have realized who was 2nd string, but the story for 2 weeks was that the coaching staff was giving the best QB on the roster the shaft . Whatever is reported by the media becomes some fan's truth because it falls in line wth what they want to believe .

I want to believe that the Jets are going to have a championship season, so that's my mindset until the season is over and the Jets draft position is determined . Then I will focus on who we should take in the draft and how it will help the team . 

Everything else is white noise .

All this talk about waiting till next year to get some reps for Hack is kind of short sighted.  More then likely there will be a new golden boy in camp next year who was taken very early in the first round.  He will get a LOT of reps in OTA's and camp.

If there is also a new regime, with Petty having beat out Hack this year, it's very possible that Hack will find himself in the street.  The year for Hack to get some live fire reps to see if he's got anything  is this year

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I want to believe that the Jets are going to have a championship season, so that's my mindset until the season is over and the Jets draft position is determined . Then I will focus on who we should take in the draft and how it will help the team . 

They were unprecedented 1000:1 long shots for a championship when they were 0-0, and they're now 0-2.

Your desire aside, they're clearly going to get effectively eliminated from championship possibilities before they're mathematically eliminated, and mathematically eliminated long before their draft slot is determined. 

If you're still rooting for a championship at that point...it makes more sense to root for a son after the ultrasound clearly shows the fetus to be dickless. ;) 

28 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Are you completely sure it's the Jets staff and front office that's surprise about where Hackenberg is ? Everything that's being argued about on these boards is stuff the media puts out to get this reaction from fans .

The Jets coaching staff made Hack the backup because Petty wasn't healthy . Anyone who paid attention to the depth chart would have realized who was 2nd string, but the story for 2 weeks was that the coaching staff was giving the best QB on the roster the shaft . Whatever is reported by the media becomes some fan's truth because it falls in line wth what they want to believe .

You made a real good point. Is the organization actually disappointed where where Hack is at? I guess I just took these reports as fact, but also Bowles' reaction when asked if he can see Hack as a starter one day. It seemed very bleak. But when does Bowles show emotion? So who knows.

58 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you Thank you. 

This is my concern or critique of what the Jets didn't do correctly with Hack or Petty as well.  

I also think fans have to back off Hack.   No one said he was going to be a year one or year two starter; why? Because he wasn't ready that is why and just because we drafted him doesn't magically make him ready.  

He really is a player that you have to wait until next year to see what you have or maybe even year four based upon his limited reps last year  

I for one wanted him drafted and still haven't given up on him.  ☺️

I haven't given up on either yet, especially Hack. Garoppollo didnt play until his 4th year, Cousins started in his 3rd and looked average at best, and it wasn't until his 4th year that he looked like a legit starter.

So we'll see. I think it'll be bad luck for Hack as we'll probably be drafting someone in the first next year and focus on him. 

35 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Eh, it's a competition.  If either Petty, or Hackenberg had distinguished themselves they would be out there, so it's on them.

I still expect Petty to play once the offense starts to gel. I think we saw some improvement in the offense week 2 against a pretty 

good team.  Let's see what happens this week.  

Im curious to see how Petty does too. Last year he was in a tough spot. I just don't know how high his ceiling is. I wasn't so down on him until I saw he couldn't even grip the ball in the rain. That was brutal...

Archived