This team must be sold

jets rooter

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets are only NFL team not to increase in value over the last year: report 

Because someone wrote that in a magazine article doesn't make it true.

This is only one persons subjective opinion.

Objective data (previous pre-sale estimates vs subsequent sale prices) would suggest otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Objective data (previous pre-sale estimates vs subsequent sale prices) would suggest otherwise.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, September 18, 2017, 5:14 PM
THURSDAY, JAN. 5, 2017 FILE PHOTO

Woody Johnson is the only NFL owner whose organization's value did not increase over the last year.

(MEL EVANS/AP)

The winless Jets are as stagnant on the business side as they are on the field. According to its annual ranking, Forbes reports the Jets are the only team in the NFL that did not increase in value since last year. The Jets ranked No. 9 among NFL teams with a total valuation of $2.65 billion.

According to the Forbes, the Cowboys, at $4.8 billion, are the most valuable franchise in pro sports. The Giants came in at No. 3 on the list with a valuation of $3.3 billion, behind only Dallas and New England.

The Atlanta Falcons, playing in a new stadium this season, saw a 16% increase in value since last year. Meanwhile, the Jets, stuck in a rebuild, were the only team in the league to post 0% growth since the 2016 list.

Just now, joewilly12 said:
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Woody Johnson is the only NFL owner whose organization's value did not increase over the last year.

(MEL EVANS/AP)

The winless Jets are as stagnant on the business side as they are on the field. According to its annual ranking, Forbes reports the Jets are the only team in the NFL that did not increase in value since last year. The Jets ranked No. 9 among NFL teams with a total valuation of $2.65 billion.

According to the Forbes, the Cowboys, at $4.8 billion, are the most valuable franchise in pro sports. The Giants came in at No. 3 on the list with a valuation of $3.3 billion, behind only Dallas and New England.

The Atlanta Falcons, playing in a new stadium this season, saw a 16% increase in value since last year. Meanwhile, the Jets, stuck in a rebuild, were the only team in the league to post 0% growth since the 2016 list.

9th most valuable... not selling

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

(MEL EVANS/AP)

Like I said.

One mans opinion in a magazine article does not translate to fact.

BTW for arguments sake, lets say the writer is 100% correct.

Who gives a sh!t that Woody didnt get richer from owning the Jets this year.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Don't some of you folks think you would be better off rooting for another team than tormenting yourself day after day  ?

Yes, we do. But habits are very hard to break. I already advised my two boys (8 & 5) to pick a different team to root for. 

Funny thing is, the thing that the Jets could do that would increase the value of the team the most, is to be the worst team in football.

They would have a highly touted rookie QB, hopefully a new HC, and somewhere between $80-100 M to spend.  People would be buying seats again to see what happens next.

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Funny thing is, the thing that the Jets could do that would increase the value of the team the most, is to be the worst team in football.

They would have a highly touted rookie QB, hopefully a new HC, and somewhere between $80-100 M to spend.  People would be buying seats again to see what happens next.

Make it so ... Darnold please

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

+1

What was the alleged "paper" value of the Jets when he bought it, and what did he pay? So much for opinions. If he put it up for sale, someone would swoop in for more than it's worth. There are only so many of these, they hardly ever become available, and it's in (ok really close to ;)) the nation's largest city. 

Not for nothing, but in owning the Jets, he makes considerably more than just the team's increased value. So whether or not someone thinks it increased in value from 2016-2017 is irrelevant, since he's not selling it anyway. Whatever he'd get now, he'll get more later, and he'll pull crazy amounts of cash out along the way (independent of his asset's value increasing).

What's he going to do, sell it and then what? Pay a billion dollars in capital gains taxes and then stuff the rest under the world's biggest mattress? Spend it? Snort it? This is as good - and fun, even with the losing - investment as he's going to find.

5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Like I said.

One mans opinion in a magazine article does not translate to fact.

BTW for arguments sake, lets say the writer is 100% correct.

Who gives a sh!t that Woody didnt get richer from owning the Jets this year.

Well the thing with investments is you don't gain or lose money until you sell. So on paper he didn't increase this year. But he has doubled his investment already.

Also I guarantee from a cash flow perspective the Jets are looking good. Salaries are low. The stadium sells out regardless. You make less on hot dogs.

I do hope Woody would sell. That would be great. What a terrible owner.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well the thing with investments is you don't gain or lose money until you sell. So on paper he didn't increase this year. But he has doubled his investment already.

Also I guarantee from a cash flow perspective the Jets are looking good. Salaries are low. The stadium sells out regardless. You make less on hot dogs.

I do hope Woody would sell. That would be great. What a terrible owner.

Its true what you say about investments.

Put in simple terms its akin to owning a house and estimating what you can sell it for.

Only when put up for sale and real offers come in is when you can truly gauge its worth.

If current estimates are even close Woody had had a >300% increase in his investment.

Not bad by any measure.

One caveat for to consider when selling is how much debt the Jets have that is tied to the franchise.

Is the debt on Florham Park and the Jets share of Metlife  and other franchise related debt baked in to it all?

It is very possible he has other corporations set up for these ventures but if the NYJ franchise serves as collateral for these developments and other debt this will significantly effect the net on any sale as debt tied to the asset is sometimes due (or refinanced for the next owner) on a sale. 

He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I would bet he gets top notch financial advice so I doubt he financed things like that with liquid assets and has used the franchise as collateral.

Like you, I wouldnt mind him selling the team but only if a Jetnation poll could select the next owner.

50 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Its true what you say about investments.

Put in simple terms its akin to owning a house and estimating what you can sell it for.

Only when put up for sale and real offers come in is when you can truly gauge its worth.

If current estimates are even close Woody had had a >300% increase in his investment.

Not bad by any measure.

One caveat for to consider when selling is how much debt the Jets have that is tied to the franchise.

Is the debt on Florham Park and the Jets share of Metlife  and other franchise related debt baked in to it all?

It is very possible he has other corporations set up for these ventures but if the NYJ franchise serves as collateral for these developments and other debt this will significantly effect the net on any sale as debt tied to the asset is sometimes due (or refinanced for the next owner) on a sale. 

He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I would bet he gets top notch financial advice so I doubt he financed things like that with liquid assets and has used the franchise as collateral.

Like you, I wouldnt mind him selling the team but only if a Jetnation poll could select the next owner.

He's had more than a 3x return if he sold it for 3x more than he paid. This asset pays quite heavy dividends along the way. Why do you think the players assoc is yet again unhappy with the CBA they signed? They currently make like $450m in shared revenue alone, which is a good amount more than the salary cap plus other salaries (coaches and players outside the top 51). Then there's the rest of the stadium revenue outside the shared amount from regular ticket sales and merchandise. Even with the nutty amount it cost, they're quite cash positive, from naming rights to concessions to luxury boxes to psls to parking to renting out the venue for concerts, and whatever else I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

This isn't like owning a mutual fund or some commodity that just sits there unused until you sell it. Not to mention this asset doesn't have the financial failure risk.

There's really no incentive for him to ever sell it while he still has a pulse.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's had more than a 3x return if he sold it for 3x more than he paid. This asset pays quite heavy dividends along the way. Why do you think the players assoc is yet again unhappy with the CBA they signed? They currently make like $450m in shared revenue alone, which is a good amount more than the salary cap plus other salaries (coaches and players outside the top 51). Then there's the rest of the stadium revenue outside the shared amount from regular ticket sales and merchandise. Even with the nutty amount it cost, they're quite cash positive, from naming rights to concessions to luxury boxes to psls to parking to renting out the venue for concerts, and whatever else I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

This isn't like owning a mutual fund or some commodity that just sits there unused until you sell it. Not to mention this asset doesn't have the financial failure risk.

There's really no incentive for him to ever sell it while he still has a pulse.

^ Agree it would be a huge gaffe selling this franchise.

Wilson and Hess come to mind as brilliant businessman who had to have their teams pried from their cold hands.

Also I'm not sure but I think I remember reading somewhere that the league also has rules preventing owners from over leveraging their investment (a max debt to equity ratio?) 

that makes it near impossible for an owner to screw up the balance sheets. Maybe Southpark CPA could chime in here.

Archived