NY Post: "Early signs point to Johnson retaining Bowles and Maccagnan no matter how poorly they finish"

Jetsbb

http://nypost.com/2017/09/21/jets-new-owner-would-do-well-channeling-a-bit-of-jerry-jones/

Perhaps the most interesting thing Christopher Johnson said about his early tenure as the owner of the Jets is that “I’m not Jerry Jones.”

That’s too bad.

Right about now Jets fans might like an owner with Jones’ hands-on temperament, someone who will make those responsible for the team’s meager 0-2 start accountable or at least uncomfortable. Rebuilding is one thing; being barely competitive is another.

A Jerry Jones-type might demand a little more from his players and especially his coaching staff after losing to the Bills, 21-12, and to the Raiders, 45-20. Instead Johnson sounded a lot like his older brother, Woody, by preaching patience.

“I hope the fans will buy into our plan,” Christopher Johnson said on Wednesday.

In his first interview with reporters, Johnson, 58, said he’ll make all football decisions while his brother, team owner Woody Johnson, serves a four-year term as the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom. Those decisions will include whether to retain head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan after what is shaping up to be a horrendous season.

Johnson vowed he wouldn’t decide on the two most important jobs on the team until after the season and that the Jets’ won-loss record won’t be a factor.

“My brother once said he wasn’t judging the guys on the won-loss record, but on their progression, and I agree with that,” Johnson said. “This is a team on the rise. There’s some growing pains right now, but we have a great plan and I’m going to do everything I can to support the people in this building.”

The Jets have told us about their plan, which is certainly logical. They got rid of overpriced, aging veterans and are trying to rebuild with young talent. Every player selected in the last two draft classes has made the team. And even if it’s in the Jets’ long-term interest to get one of the top draft picks next spring to use on a prized quarterback, it’s never acceptable to go through the motions for 16 weeks. The Jets look in danger of doing just that.

Twelve years younger than his brother Woody, Christopher Johnson has been part of the Jets organization since it was purchased by the family in 2000. A tennis player and active outdoorsman, he works out five times a week and looks like he could go five sets with Rafael Nadal.

He feels qualified to handle his new position, saying he was present for all the major football decisions for the last 16 years and was a sounding board for his brother.

“It’s not like I’m a neophyte in the building,” he said.

As he sat in a starched white shirt with rolled-up sleeves and a green tie, Johnson spoke directly to the fan base when he said: “I bleed green like they do.” He admitted he’s “not a patient fan,” but urged Jets fans to be.

“I want to see this team progress every game,” he said. “I’m not happy with losses. I’m not happy with mistakes.”

Nonetheless, early signs point to Johnson retaining Bowles and Maccagnan no matter how poorly they finish. He said he admires Maccagnan’s drafts and Bowles’ connection with players. And if Woody truly has no say in football matters, it seems even more unlikely Christopher Johnson would change the entire direction of the franchise by firing Bowles and Maccagnan.

Still, this season can’t be a waste and that’s why he needs to be a bit more like Jerry Jones and make the players and coaches know they’re not getting a free pass.

He mentioned leaving Super Bowl tickets for Woody because “every little brother wants to show up his big brother.”

He’s got four years to do it. It won’t hurt if he acts more like an owner and less like a baby sitter.

image.gif

image.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

He mentioned leaving Super Bowl tickets for Woody because “every little brother wants to show up his big brother.”

He’s got four years to do it. It won’t hurt if he acts more like an owner and less like a baby sitter.

WTF. Can the press make up their minds please. One day the owner is too involved, the next not enough. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

it’s never acceptable to go through the motions for 16 weeks. The Jets look in danger of doing just that.

No mention of the fact that he said he would judge the coaches on the progress they make. Somehow comes to the conclusion that Bowles would not be fired no matter what happens.

Sounds like an article written by some JN trolls. Cherry pick some quotes, ignore others and come to conclusions based on previous bias or inflammatory potential.  

Let's see how that holds up with 8 home games marked by thousands of empty seats, plus a 1-15 team or worse. Hess was slow to action and loved Rich Kotite like a son, but complete and total failure forces changes. And for all this happytalk, Eric Mangini had a similar guarantee/handshake/promise with said Woody Johnson along with a year left on his contract yet found himself fired off 9 wins.   If I am running the Jets and paying debt service on that POS stadium, this story worries me a whole bunch-

http://nypost.com/2017/09/19/meet-3-of-many-jets-fans-staying-away-from-metlife-in-droves/  Brian Costello NY Post, 9/19/2017

When the Jets kick off Sunday afternoon against the Dolphins at MetLife Stadium, Jeff Cohen figures he will be wrapping up a round of golf. Dom Florenza will be heading to a wedding. Rich Pittala will be meeting up with a friend who roots for Miami to watch the game on TV.

The three of them normally would be at MetLife. They are former Jets season-ticket holders, a fraternity that added plenty of members this offseason with many fans saying enough is enough with the team that has not had a home playoff game since January 2003 and won’t have one in the foreseeable future.

The Jets won’t say just how many season-ticket holders they lost this year, but judging anecdotally from email, Twitter replies and conversations with fans, the renewal rate this year plunged to new depths.

It is all part of a bizarre season for Jets fans. Sunday is the first of what figure to be eight strange home games this season at MetLife, where fans are unsure whether they should be rooting for a Jets win or a loss in hopes of landing the No. 1 draft pick.

Like many others who walked away from their seats, any cheering or booing by Cohen, Lorenza and Pittala will be done from a couch or maybe a barstool, far from the swamps of the Meadowlands.

“This is the first year I can ever remember as a longtime Jets fan where there is no hope,” said Cohen, a vice president of sales for a Midtown jewelry manufacturer who has been going to games since the Jets played at Shea Stadium. “It’s a weird feeling. I don’t want them to win.”

All three said the direction of the team in 2017 had very little to do with their decision to give up the seats. Surely, though, if the Jets were in position to contend this year, more fans would be keeping their tickets.

Instead, the blend of the cost, the stadium experience and the product on the field recently seems to have driven many loyal Jets fans away.

Cohen’s family had tickets at Shea. He picked them up after they moved to Giants Stadium, where he had four seats. He dropped down to one after the move to MetLife Stadium, financing a PSL and sitting in a section with some of the same people he sat with at the old stadium.
He did not like MetLife Stadium from the start.

“There was something missing,” Cohen, who lives in Basking Ridge, N.J., said. “It is not the same experience.”

Even in the stadium that more often feels like MetLifeless, Cohen enjoyed going to games, but that enjoyment dimmed first in the John Idzik era and then last year when the team went 5-11.

“I think a big, big problem is the personality of the team under Todd Bowles,” Cohen said. “He’s a painful coach to watch. You don’t get anything from his press conferences. You sit there saying, why am I paying for this?”

Pittala, who lives in West Long Branch, N.J., bought tickets with friends when MetLife opened in 2010. In the early days, he said he could sell a ticket to one game that would cover the cost of his season tickets.

“As time went on, that wasn’t happening anymore,” said Pittala, who works in the corporate office of Bed, Bath & Beyond. “The seats were selling for $40 and you’re dropping $220 a ticket. It’s frustrating. I couldn’t justify it anymore.”

Cohen and Florenza both said they are walking away from their PSL, even though they still owe the Jets money until 2024.

“What? Are they going to do start suing their fan base?” Cohen asked. Both said the Jets have not pursued any PSL payment from them.

But Pittala said even though he did not renew his tickets, he will still make his $900 PSL payment in November, perhaps willing to return in a few years.

Pittala said it will be an odd feeling watching on TV on Sunday.

“Absolutely. I’ll get antsy. I’ll feel guilty,” he said.

Florenza, a C.P.A. who lives in Mountainside, N.J., bought his tickets in 1984 when the Jets moved to New Jersey. He bought four PSLs when MetLife opened. Florenza said he just did not feel like it was worth spending the money anymore.

Florenza said he won’t look back at his decision.

“There’s no regrets,” Florenza said. “Thirty-three years is a long time. My first marriage didn’t last 33 years.”

His divorce, and many others, from the Jets was finalized this offseason.

56 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wait until he sees how empty the stadium is this upcoming Sunday. 

Stadium will be packed, but it will all be aqua.  Fish fans probably drink as much beer, and eat as many hot dogs as Jets fans, so why should he care.

Unless Trump gets re-elected he'll be gone in 4 years.

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Stadium will be packed, but it will all be aqua.  Fish fans probably drink as much beer, and eat as many hot dogs as Jets fans, so why should he care.

This is why we have to root for teams to not only beat us but blow us out

The one smart thing Jerry Jones did in Dallas was hire Tom Landry when it was beyond obvious he had lost his edge as a coach. All the playmakers in the 1990s were there before him. He brought in Jimmy Johnson who had a good career in Dallas but didn't replicate it elsewhere without a dream roster. Since all those guys left Dallas has been consistently mediocre. That's largely in part because Jerry Jones insists on yes-man coaches and believing too much in Tony Romo.

Since 2000 with Aikman retired the Cowboys have had playoff seasons five times. The Jets have had six and gotten deeper into the playoffs.

42 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The one smart thing Jerry Jones did in Dallas was hire Tom Landry when it was beyond obvious he had lost his edge as a coach. All the playmakers in the 1990s were there before him. He brought in Jimmy Johnson who had a good career in Dallas but didn't replicate it elsewhere without a dream roster. Since all those guys left Dallas has been consistently mediocre. That's largely in part because Jerry Jones insists on yes-man coaches and believing too much in Tony Romo.

Since 2000 with Aikman retired the Cowboys have had playoff seasons five times. The Jets have had six and gotten deeper into the playoffs.

And which franchise is currently in a better state?

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Wait until he sees how empty the stadium is this upcoming Sunday. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

The good part about owning a NY team is that there are alot of opposing team fans who can fill your seats.

Jets merchandise sales have to be through the floor.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

"I'm not Jerry Jones". -- yeah no sh_t you idiot Jones has won multiple Super Bowls, knows about football, is a great businessman and currently has an elite NFL team

I wonder how Cowboys fans felt during those really bleak seasons before they landed Aikman - in a rebuild like the Jets.

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Nonetheless, early signs point to Johnson retaining Bowles and Maccagnan no matter how poorly they finish. He said he admires Maccagnan’s drafts and Bowles’ connection with players. And if Woody truly has no say in football matters, it seems even more unlikely Christopher Johnson would change the entire direction of the franchise by firing Bowles and Maccagnan.

image.gif

image.gif

This is pure supposition from the writer.

The writer makes an assumption based on the rest of this quote, and this assumption may or may not be true. Its very possible he said he admires Mac and Bowles only to show solidarity. Furthermore, no one really knows if Woody will have any say in Jets matters. IMO, it is a mistake to draw any conclusion from this.

Woody was like the kid in Toy Story, spoiled, wreaking havoc on his belongings. I don't think Ive ever heard a comment from Woody Johnson about specific area of the team?

Chris knew right away about the run defense. He admits the Jets are rebuilding but he also acknowledged hes looking for PROGRESS as the year goes on with this young team. This ambassador thing for Woody might be a blessing in disguise. Maybe Chris is a fan just like us, watching intently, thinking WTF as another runner goes untouched 52 yards. At least he's paying attention, anytime Ive seen a camera on Woody at a game he's not even looking at the field.

4 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

As he sat in a starched white shirt with rolled-up sleeves and a green tie, Johnson spoke directly to the fan base when he said: “I bleed green like they do.” He admitted he’s “not a patient fan,” but urged Jets fans to be.

“I want to see this team progress every game,” he said. “I’m not happy with losses. I’m not happy with mistakes.”

So, Costello takes a couple of Johnson's quotes and draws the conclusion that Bowles and Macc will be back. 

He could have just as easily have interpreted these other quotes differently.  I really don't see much of a story here.  But Costello got his clicks, so he is happy.

Archived