The Case for Replace: Defensive Line

varjet

I am going to lob in some posts supporting positions to keep or replace the current front office.  Today I focus on how the defensive line was managed.

Macc inherited three great defensive linemen and the top run defense in football, but no pass rush.

It is becoming clear to me that, like the Patriots, each of the players involved, except for perhaps Snacks who was let go, is better in combination with the others rather than individually.

That to me means that keeping too many DEs, letting a good NT go who cost half of what the others did, agreeing to pay a DE top money who was not an individual game changer, and the failure to add a pass rusher to the mix, were all roster management ineptitude.

Today, in a year when people expected a bad team but thought it would be driven by a talentless offense and decent defense that was building for the future, the defense cannot stop the run and the heralded DEs are not making an impact.  Yes, we have improved safety play, but they are just saving touchdowns after RBs make it past the front 7.

Archived