Game Observations (MIA)

KRL

After reviewing the tape of the first win of the season one phrase comes to mind,
"complementary football".  In all four phases of the game (offense, defense, special
teams and coaching) there were contributions which led to a complete thrashing of
MIA.  Let's take a look:

- Impressive performance by the coaching staff in incorporating so many new faces. 
There's been a ton of roster moves over the past three weeks but the coaching
staff has put the players in position to contribute.  In today's game alone
Terrence Brooks (PHI), David Bass (SEA), Lawrence Thomas (DLine), Jermaine
Kearse (SEA) and Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Suspension) had a big impact

- Impressive adjustments by John Morton and the offensive staff in neutralizing Wake
and Suh.  Early on Wake looked like he was going to cause Brandon Shell problems in
pass protection.  But by using the TE and FB to assist Shell every now and then Wake
was taken out of the game after the first quarter.  And Suh's name was never heard
throughout the game.  Also, using Lawrence Thomas as a FB was effective and the
"hands catch" he made for a first down was impressive 

- Terrific film study by the punt return unit.  There were about 3-4 players signaling
that MIA was about to run the fake punt which never had a chance and resulted in an INT

- Terrence Brooks was all over the field in his role as the third safety with two INT's
and a QB pressure

- The ILB's showed up and deserve credit as they maintained their gaps finally.  Darron
Lee was solid but Demario Davis was an absolute beast with multiple TFL's

- Impressive debut by David Bass after being picked up 3-4 days ago.  He brought edge
pressure multiple times from the DE & OLB spots

- Josh McCown continues to be efficient and complete a high percentage of passes as he
manages the offense.  And finally we have a QB that can actually reach Robby Anderson
on that 60+ yard TD

- The DLine didn't make a ton of "sexy" plays but they destroyed MIA run blocking by
getting constant penetration.  That allowed the LB's to flow to the ball freely which
shut down Ajayi all game

- With the DLine and the LB's doing their jobs the secondary was able to lock down MIA
WR's.  Particularly effective were Morris Claiborne and Darryl Roberts

- With all three phases of the defense being effective the full impact of Jamal Adams
was able to be seen.  Bowles used him as a "moveable chess piece" deploying him in
coverage, run support and as a blitzer.  He had a fantastic game with multiple PBU's,
multiple TFL's and a sack.  You love the emotion but he has to be careful with the taunting
penalty he picked up late in the game

- Fantastic acrobatic catch by Ardarius Stewart, he needs more reps than Jeremey Kerley.
Kerley was effective in the return game but he shouldn't be getting more action than the
kid WR's

- We aren't good enough to waste timeouts and fumble the ball (Elijah McGuire) when running
out the clock, that has to tighten up    

KRL it gets redundant to say thank you all the time but I have to say it this is an excellent snap analysis.

I was so impressed all game with how well the Jets were coached and prepared; it was actually stunning!

Crisp, effective and as you said well coached complimentary football; just WoW!!

Then there was Adams; I am saying it now if this rookie continues to play like this he will quickly become the best player on defense, just amazing play!!

People forget that Adams is a rookie.....

Anyway a great game against Miami and all I can say is let them wet the field down now!

We'll see. It seemed like largely the same team to me, though I do agree on the new names doing well especially Brooks, but I think this win was fool's gold and I still don't see us winning many games. I still think 2 or 3 wins unless we play Petty. But, we DID show improvement week to week and the schemes seemed better. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Fantastic acrobatic catch by Ardarius Stewart, he needs more reps than Jeremey Kerley.
Kerley was effective in the return game but he shouldn't be getting more action than the
kid WR's

Great summary.  This is a sticking point for me (and I was a Kerley fan).   The young WRs HAVE to get playing time.  They are the future here.   Hansen was inactive today and Ardarius got one target, where he made the amazing catch.

Just now, PoconoJetFan said:

Was I the only one annoyed about Bowles challenged the pass in the 1st quarter? I didn't think it was important enough to challenge. Save the timeout and challenge later in the half. Even if he won the challenge it wouldn't have made a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to start a thread on this. Terrible challenge. The game just started and it was like a 12 yard pass. You have to be 100% right if you challenge that. 

I will say one of the things I've been real happy with is the fact the Oline adjusts to getting beat and actually employs TEs or RBs to chip DEs that are beating our tackles. Who remembers that Denver game where Wayne Hunter was getting beat to a bloody pulp and we made NO ADJUSTMENTS whatsover and Sanchez got murdered on the field again and again and again. One of the amazing highlights of the Schottenheimer era. Just amazing playcalling.

Glad we finally have an OC that is willing to adapt to in game situations.

A win is a win is a win.

Although I will say, this team had me fooled last year during the first Buffalo game.  I thought the offense was going to step up and my evaluations were wrong, and it came crashing down.  The team took a bit more risk, although I haven't watched the film yet.  

Brooks looked much better, although the interception on the punt is a bad result.  He was better off dropping the ball, but still a good effort.  What I found best about his interception was the recovery speed, because I guarantee you Cutler threw that pass expecting Brooks to lag behind.  On a hand off in the middle of the field with a receiver running the crossing route, it's usually a formula for a completion because the defender can't get up to speed fast.  Brooks showed excellent ability to get up to speed quickly and stay with the target, which allowed him to make that interception.  

frankly it was on the few complete games i've seen the jets play in many seasons.  they dominated in all phases of the game.  sure you can lay it on cutler but the doltfin playmankers like landry and ajayi did nothing.  the jets stars in the making played really well and even the alleged jags, like davis, got into the action.  davis had a great game. let's hope they've learned their lesson and play this way here on out. the only downers were the missed fg and letting the dolfins score with no time left.  a shutout would've shut some mouths, at least for a week.

bowles? the red flag is debatable.  the ball was on the ground before the player had control. the boles doomsday clock has moved backwards a notch or two. if they come out next week and lay some wood on the jags bowles may actually be showing something.  morton is doing pretty well as oc.  the runs on first down are perplexing at times but the passing game isn't quite reliable enough yet.

11 hours ago, KRL said:

After reviewing the tape of the first win of the season one phrase comes to mind,
"complementary football".  In all four phases of the game (offense, defense, special
teams and coaching) there were contributions which led to a complete thrashing of
MIA.  Let's take a look:

- Impressive performance by the coaching staff in incorporating so many new faces. 
There's been a ton of roster moves over the past three weeks but the coaching
staff has put the players in position to contribute.  In today's game alone
Terrence Brooks (PHI), David Bass (SEA), Lawrence Thomas (DLine), Jermaine
Kearse (SEA) and Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Suspension) had a big impact

- Impressive adjustments by John Morton and the offensive staff in neutralizing Wake
and Suh.  Early on Wake looked like he was going to cause Brandon Shell problems in
pass protection.  But by using the TE and FB to assist Shell every now and then Wake
was taken out of the game after the first quarter.  And Suh's name was never heard
throughout the game.  Also, using Lawrence Thomas as a FB was effective and the
"hands catch" he made for a first down was impressive 

- Terrific film study by the punt return unit.  There were about 3-4 players signaling
that MIA was about to run the fake punt which never had a chance and resulted in an INT

- Terrence Brooks was all over the field in his role as the third safety with two INT's
and a QB pressure

- The ILB's showed up and deserve credit as they maintained their gaps finally.  Darron
Lee was solid but Demario Davis was an absolute beast with multiple TFL's

- Impressive debut by David Bass after being picked up 3-4 days ago.  He brought edge
pressure multiple times from the DE & OLB spots

- Josh McCown continues to be efficient and complete a high percentage of passes as he
manages the offense.  And finally we have a QB that can actually reach Robby Anderson
on that 60+ yard TD

- The DLine didn't make a ton of "sexy" plays but they destroyed MIA run blocking by
getting constant penetration.  That allowed the LB's to flow to the ball freely which
shut down Ajayi all game

- With the DLine and the LB's doing their jobs the secondary was able to lock down MIA
WR's.  Particularly effective were Morris Claiborne and Darryl Roberts

- With all three phases of the defense being effective the full impact of Jamal Adams
was able to be seen.  Bowles used him as a "moveable chess piece" deploying him in
coverage, run support and as a blitzer.  He had a fantastic game with multiple PBU's,
multiple TFL's and a sack.  You love the emotion but he has to be careful with the taunting
penalty he picked up late in the game

- Fantastic acrobatic catch by Ardarius Stewart, he needs more reps than Jeremey Kerley.
kid WR's

- We aren't good enough to waste timeouts and fumble the ball (Elijah McGuire) when running
out the clock, that has to tighten up    

Thank you for spot on analysis.

Archived