Sam Darnold will NOT Be a Top 5 Pick in the next NFL Draft

Warfish

10 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You need to watch to see that accuracy. The stats don't tell you how accurate a QB is. 

If a QB can navigate the pocket while reading the defense, make the right decisions and hit his man on the right shoulder then he's going 1st in the draft.

It doesn't matter if he has times where he tries to do to much or throws off balance. Scouts want to see what you can do when you're doing things right and how you react in big spots. 

They can coach you to be more conservative. They can't teach you how to be more aggressive. 

Right on the mark. He navigates chaos in the pocket better than anyone. He's big but he has a Russell Wilson ability to prolong plays while scanning down field. He's the type of QB that will make huge plays when it's counts or even on the first drive of the first Q. He's that good. The interception argument tickles the hell out of me. The eye test shows the truth in college. And that's all I'll say, because quite frankly I'm tired of talking about it. I won't change War fishes mind or anyone else doubting Sam's elite ceiling. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nice cherry picked list, now go list all the OTHER QB's picked in picks 1-5 who failed.  Hint:  There are ALOT, and many looked better than Darnold in college.

You're in for alot of disappointment in the near future.  I feel for you.

But on the bright side, you COULD in fact still get what you want:  When the Jets finish 5-11 and pick 6th, and Darnold drops like a stone, we could still pick him as the 4th QB taken.

Then you can spend the next four years telling us how he'd be great.....if he only got a fair chance. 

With weapons.;)

Picking 6th?!?!?! Undersized LB here we come! Another player who will SURELY take us to the Super Bowl...

29 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Picking 6th?!?!?! Undersized LB here we come! Another player who will SURELY take us to the Super Bowl...

We obviously stand alone here lol. I'm just going to put the talk in park for awhile and see how the standing look come say....week 9..10 we'll have a better idea of who picks where and college football will be just about done with..we'll have an even better idea of where Darnold is.

For a while in 2012 Geno Smith was projected to be a top five pick but then he had a bad second half of the season and unfortunately fell to us. But that's another story. I think Darnold will be a real good NFL Qb but right now he doesn't have that many starts. Only 13 coming into 2017. This isn't enough of a resume to tank a season for. (the only guy in sports I ever would have tanked a season for and I probably still wouldn't have done it was Kareem Abdul Jabbar-because everyone knew 100% he was going to be great and a dominant player. Teams he was on didn't lose any games). 

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

I guarantee it*.

Darnold is not as great a college QB as his proponents think, and others have already started to surpass him in hype and attention.

9 TD's and 7 INT's is not greatness at that level.  7 INT's is more than someone supposedly a "generational talent" shouldn't throw at USC in a full season.

Darnold is a sophomore at a great (read party) school in Southern California, where he is king of campus.  If he is not the de facto universal #1 prospect, he will go back to USC.  

Because he can.  Because the 2019 draft class isn't so chock full of QB's.  And because insurance will cover his fiscal risks.

Darnold wants to stay in Cali.  He's from Capistrano Beach, CA.  He plays at USC.  He's a sun-soaked Cali kid through and through.  He does not want to play in the rust belt, or the swamp of fetid New Jersey.  Don't think he doesn't know who Mark Sanchez is and how that played out.

If the 49'ers don't get the #1 pick, and Darnold is not heir choice as #1, he could easily stay in college.  His demeanor shows he doesn't like the "Darnold Jets Jersey" hype.

Darnold is already "old hype", like Watson before him.  People will spend all season, and then all lead-up-to-draft tearing down Darnold and his game.  And instead they'll talk up the newest hotnesses.

He won't win the Heisman.  He won't win a National title.  And he won't be the best QB in college.  His shadow of legend will fade before the draft, especially if he keeps throwing INT's trying to look like a super star instead of doing whats needed to BE a super star even if it's less flashy.

And even IF Darnold was everything his most dedicated supports think he is, and even if he is the defacto #1 overall pick, and even if the Jets wind up with that pick......do any of you REALLY think "I know better than everyone else" Macc is going to pick him?  Or do you think Macc will try and grow his legend and trade down, picking another QB, the QB only he knows better about, in a deep QB draft, and gathering more picks to build this low-talent roster?

Just wait folks.  Don't worry about the draft, it's ages from now, and so much can and will change between now and then.  

But I'm telling you now, Sam Darnold will almost assuredly NOT be the #1 overall pick of this next draft in 2018.  And he very well may not even be top 5.  Or in the draft at all.

You heard it here.

*Disclaimer:  Guarantee does nto represent a legally binding contract, and is intended for entertainment value only.  No warranty, express or implicit is implied via this post.  Anything can happen, and who the **** knows, maybe Darnold IS the man.  But he may not be.  We can't know now, and won;t know till early next year ffs.  So stop rooting against your team.

I watched a good chunk of the game on Saturday against California.  I don't get the hype.  Their running back and one receiver are WAY better.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Have you watch him play the football yet?

I have....He was VERY pedestrian on Saturday against a team he should have destroyed.

If you want to talk about someone who is ACTUALLY tearing it up, look at Baker Mayfield. He has completed about 75 percent of his passes, thrown 13 TD's and ZERO INT's. so far, including a big win over Ohio State where he threw for 386 yards and had 3 TD's.

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

I guarantee it*.

Darnold is not as great a college QB as his proponents think, and others have already started to surpass him in hype and attention.

9 TD's and 7 INT's is not greatness at that level.  7 INT's is more than someone supposedly a "generational talent" shouldn't throw at USC in a full season.

Darnold is a sophomore at a great (read party) school in Southern California, where he is king of campus.  If he is not the de facto universal #1 prospect, he will go back to USC.  

Because he can.  Because the 2019 draft class isn't so chock full of QB's.  And because insurance will cover his fiscal risks.

Darnold wants to stay in Cali.  He's from Capistrano Beach, CA.  He plays at USC.  He's a sun-soaked Cali kid through and through.  He does not want to play in the rust belt, or the swamp of fetid New Jersey.  Don't think he doesn't know who Mark Sanchez is and how that played out.

If the 49'ers don't get the #1 pick, and Darnold is not heir choice as #1, he could easily stay in college.  His demeanor shows he doesn't like the "Darnold Jets Jersey" hype.

Darnold is already "old hype", like Watson before him.  People will spend all season, and then all lead-up-to-draft tearing down Darnold and his game.  And instead they'll talk up the newest hotnesses.

He won't win the Heisman.  He won't win a National title.  And he won't be the best QB in college.  His shadow of legend will fade before the draft, especially if he keeps throwing INT's trying to look like a super star instead of doing whats needed to BE a super star even if it's less flashy.

And even IF Darnold was everything his most dedicated supports think he is, and even if he is the defacto #1 overall pick, and even if the Jets wind up with that pick......do any of you REALLY think "I know better than everyone else" Macc is going to pick him?  Or do you think Macc will try and grow his legend and trade down, picking another QB, the QB only he knows better about, in a deep QB draft, and gathering more picks to build this low-talent roster?

Just wait folks.  Don't worry about the draft, it's ages from now, and so much can and will change between now and then.  

But I'm telling you now, Sam Darnold will almost assuredly NOT be the #1 overall pick of this next draft in 2018.  And he very well may not even be top 5.  Or in the draft at all.

You heard it here.

*Disclaimer:  Guarantee does nto represent a legally binding contract, and is intended for entertainment value only.  No warranty, express or implicit is implied via this post.  Anything can happen, and who the **** knows, maybe Darnold IS the man.  But he may not be.  We can't know now, and won;t know till early next year ffs.  So stop rooting against your team.

Just win baby!

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I have....He was VERY pedestrian on Saturday against a team he should have destroyed.

If you want to talk about someone who is ACTUALLY tearing it up, look at Baker Mayfield. He has completed about 75 percent of his passes, thrown 13 TD's and ZERO INT's. so far, including a big win over Ohio State where he threw for 386 yards and had 3 TD's.

I will do that. 

The thing about Darnold with me, is the biggest things that "separated" him, his poise and decision making, are pretty bad this year.  Forcing tons of throws into coverage.

I think it's A LOT closer between Rosen and Darnold than anyone imagines.  Rosen throws a better ball.  If Darnold isn't head and shoulders above Rosen in the decision making area, I'd rather have Rosen.

The talent around Rosen is light years behind Darnold's too.  They are the same age.  

I just don't see the slam dunk many people do.  Never have.

Maybe this is the same logic that has our FO has.  Every year passing on First round QBs.  Because we can always bring in vet jags like Fitzpatrick and McCown.  So let's pass on what could be star QBs because we can get guys just as good in the second round.  ?

I guess GM and HC can't get fired unless they go all in for a QB and miss.  Good strategy if you want to stay in the league for a long time.  Winning just enough games to keep your job and some fans engaged. Not enough wins to be relevant though.  Good times.

22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh*t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Tommy Boy quotes? Really? Wow. I don't know whats sadder you quoting it or me actually knowing where it came from.

52 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'll agree Rosen may become a close 1b but to listen to you guys opine on how not perfect Darnold is is just adorable. You ****ers live in the clouds.

The minute Darnold actually does something worth praising him for, I will.

But that stat line, so far, is pretty pedestrian.

The way his super-fans talk of him, you would think he is lighting it up like Baker Mayfield is.  BUT...he's not.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing about Darnold with me, is the biggest things that "separated" him, his poise and decision making, are pretty bad this year.  Forcing tons of throws into coverage.

I think it's A LOT closer between Rosen and Darnold than anyone imagines.  Rosen throws a better ball.  If Darnold isn't head and shoulders above Rosen in the decision making area, I'd rather have Rosen.

The talent around Rosen is light years behind Darnold's too.  They are the same age.  

I just don't see the slam dunk many people do.  Never have.

Not sure that's an accurate statement. USC's o-line has not been great this season and UCLA has a more experienced WR group after USC lost Schuster. I don't think either of them have built in excuses so in the end it's just how you evaluate a player. There is a good chance we are simply debating between the next Rivers vs. Eli vs. Big Ben. I think Rosen and Darnold are looking like, at the very least, really good franchise QBs.

Josh Allen is a much tougher evaluation simply because he is dominant in games against comparable schools to Wyoming. When Wyoming faces Nebraska/Oregon/Iowa, he looks awful, in large part due to the talent differential around him. 

Lamar Jackson is a win-now QB. Meaning, he will likely be a dynamic playmaker (like Cam) but I just don't see the pocket passing ability that is needed to be a long term successful NFL QB. 

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

... i just vomited

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There were guys drooling over Johhny Manziel also. There is always a love affair with smallish QBs that put up gaudy numbers in college. It just doesn't translate often enough to justify building around a kid like Mayfield. 

As for Barkely, he is the real deal. I loved Fournette/Cook this year and Saquon is significantly better. I am a PSU fan and remember the last time the Jets took one of my boys high in the draft. But Barkley is on another planet. He will be a top 5 pick and likely the first player taken after teams draft QBS. 

Idc about td to int ratio , there's qb in this lg that's future hof with sh*tty ratios, this guy is a leader , good head on his shoulders, and has the it factor. He can drive his team all the way down the field for the win , he's cold blooded, you seen what he's done , and the funny thing is I think Rosen is the same kind of player , we just need to pray that we get one 

Archived