Sam Darnold will NOT Be a Top 5 Pick in the next NFL Draft

Warfish

I’m hoping the Jets aren’t even in the top ten. But if we have a shot at him I’d draft him. He’s not the perfect college Qb but to me looks like he can be a good starter in the NFL. And we’re in the market for a future starting Qb. I’d say he’s going to be a lot better than Hack or Petty. 

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/25/2017 at 5:53 PM, Warfish said:

I guarantee it*.

Darnold is not as great a college QB as his proponents think, and others have already started to surpass him in hype and attention.

9 TD's and 7 INT's is not greatness at that level.  7 INT's is more than someone supposedly a "generational talent" shouldn't throw at USC in a full season.

Darnold is a sophomore at a great (read party) school in Southern California, where he is king of campus.  If he is not the de facto universal #1 prospect, he will go back to USC.  

Because he can.  Because the 2019 draft class isn't so chock full of QB's.  And because insurance will cover his fiscal risks.

Darnold wants to stay in Cali.  He's from Capistrano Beach, CA.  He plays at USC.  He's a sun-soaked Cali kid through and through.  He does not want to play in the rust belt, or the swamp of fetid New Jersey.  Don't think he doesn't know who Mark Sanchez is and how that played out.

If the 49'ers don't get the #1 pick, and Darnold is not heir choice as #1, he could easily stay in college.  His demeanor shows he doesn't like the "Darnold Jets Jersey" hype.

Darnold is already "old hype", like Watson before him.  People will spend all season, and then all lead-up-to-draft tearing down Darnold and his game.  And instead they'll talk up the newest hotnesses.

He won't win the Heisman.  He won't win a National title.  And he won't be the best QB in college.  His shadow of legend will fade before the draft, especially if he keeps throwing INT's trying to look like a super star instead of doing whats needed to BE a super star even if it's less flashy.

And even IF Darnold was everything his most dedicated supports think he is, and even if he is the defacto #1 overall pick, and even if the Jets wind up with that pick......do any of you REALLY think "I know better than everyone else" Macc is going to pick him?  Or do you think Macc will try and grow his legend and trade down, picking another QB, the QB only he knows better about, in a deep QB draft, and gathering more picks to build this low-talent roster?

Just wait folks.  Don't worry about the draft, it's ages from now, and so much can and will change between now and then.  

But I'm telling you now, Sam Darnold will almost assuredly NOT be the #1 overall pick of this next draft in 2018.  And he very well may not even be top 5.  Or in the draft at all.

You heard it here.

*Disclaimer:  Guarantee does nto represent a legally binding contract, and is intended for entertainment value only.  No warranty, express or implicit is implied via this post.  Anything can happen, and who the **** knows, maybe Darnold IS the man.  But he may not be.  We can't know now, and won;t know till early next year ffs.  So stop rooting against your team.

Outside of the guarantee, which came with a disclaimer, you were correct at the time of this writing. He didn't win the Heisman, a National Title or was the best QB in college. 

The guy who was drafted #1 won the Heisman, was the best QB in college and was actually in the playoff competing for that national title. And some of the folks who will come to pile on to the necroing here were probably the same saying that "we could have stayed at 6 if we wanted Mayfield". Boy was that statement wrong. 

You were accurate in your assessment, and I just want you to know that I see through the hindsight/necro bullcrap that you're unfortunately about to entertain because I took the entire writing into consideration....including the small print. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Outside of the guarantee, which came with a disclaimer, you were correct at the time of this writing. He didn't win the Heisman, a National Title or was the best QB in college. 

The guy who was drafted #1 won the Heisman, was the best QB in college and was actually in the playoff competing for that national title. And some of the folks who will come to pile on to the necroing here were probably the same saying that "we could have stayed at 6 if we wanted Mayfield". Boy was that statement wrong. 

You were accurate in your assessment, and I just want you to know that I see through the hindsight/necro bullcrap that you're unfortunately about to entertain because I took the entire writing into consideration....including the small print. 

Thank you.

No question my guarantee made in September 2017 was wrong. 

Darnold was in fact a top 5 pick, pick #3 as it turns out.  And we did not have to lose out on purpose to get him, we simply sold all our 2nd round picks to get him (and was gifted a lot of luck by the Browns and Giants, thanks to them both).  And I was wrong that Macc would, in fact, pick Darnold if he could.

He was not the #1 pick, as I correctly predicted.  Didn't win the Heisman, as I predicted.  Didn't win the National Title (or even come close) as I predicted.  He was not the best QB in college, as I predicted.  He was talked down and lost ground over the course of the draft lead-up, as I predicted.

If folks want to Necro/Hindsight, have at it.  This was in response to the continuous calls to lose 16 games on purpose.  As it turns out, I was correct there too, we won 5, and still got Darnold.  The "Suck for Sam" crowd was wrong.

Let me be clear, I'm glad we got Darnold.  Kid seems like a good kid, with all the potential in the world.  Looks like he'll be a great face of our franchise.

But he hasn't taken a single pro snap as yet, and my concerns with him, i.e. too laid back, too prone to turnovers, too green (lacking enough experience), not a good fit for the NY Media market and their vile loathing of our players, etc. all remain.  Darnold will have to prove those doubts wrong, not me.

I think now that he is a Jet, we all hope any lingering doubts we have about him prove to be wrong.   

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thank you.

Darnold was in fact a top 5 pick, pick #3 as it turns out.  And we did not have to lose out on purpose to get him, we simply sold all our 2nd round picks to get him (and was gifted a lot of luck by the Browns and Giants, thanks to them both).  And Iw as wrong that Macc would, in fact, pick Darnold if he could.

He was not the #1 pick, as I correctly predicted.  Didn't win the Heisman, as I predicted.  Didn't win the National Title (or even come close) as I predicted.  He was not the best QB in college, as I predicted.  He was talked down and lost ground over the course of the draft lead-up, as I predicted.

If folks want to Necro/Hindsight, have at it.  This was in response to the continuous calls to lose 16 games on purpose.  As it turns out, I was correct there too, we won 5, and still got Darnold.  The "Suck for Sam" crowd was wrong.

Let me be clear, I'm glad we got Darnold.  Kid seems like a good kid, with all the potential in the world.  Looks like he'll be a great face of our franchise.

But he hasn't taken a single pro snap as yet, and my concerns with him, i.e. too laid back, too prone to turnovers, too green (lacking enough experience), not a good fit for the NY Media market and their vile loathing of our players, etc. all remain.  Darnold will have to prove those doubts wrong, not me.

I think now that he is a Jet, we all hope any lingering doubts we have about him prove to be wrong.   

You made a guarantee he wouldnt be a top 5 pick.  This thread literally was made to be necro'd and dont act like you would have done a victory dance if you were right.  You're doing a victory dance about the stuff that had nothing to do with your guarantee right now.

All in good fun, my man.  I just made a donation to St. Judes over a bet I made on a prospect.  sh*t happens.  Own it. 

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thank you.

Darnold was in fact a top 5 pick, pick #3 as it turns out.  And we did not have to lose out on purpose to get him, we simply sold all our 2nd round picks to get him (and was gifted a lot of luck by the Browns and Giants, thanks to them both).  And Iw as wrong that Macc would, in fact, pick Darnold if he could.

Hmm, kind of reminds you of a QB across town named Manning. A laid back guy who people thought would struggle being in NY. Worked out pretty well for him & the Giants, no? 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

You made a guarantee he wouldnt be a top 5 pick.  This thread literally was made to be necro'd and dont act like you would have done a victory dance if you were right.  You're doing a victory dance about the stuff that had nothing to do with your guarantee right now.

All in good fun, my man.  I just made a donation to St. Judes over a bet I made on a prospect.  sh*t happens.  Own it. 

My friend, I WAS right, almost all the way down the line.  :lol:

The only part I missed was where he was picked, and even there I was partly right, he was not the #1 pick nor was he the first QB taken.

Be assured, I get alot of predictions wrong (less than I get right, but lets ignore that for now). 

I pretty much nailed this in just about every way other than how far Darnold fell.  Instead of falling to ~6, he fell to 3.  Oh, the humanity! 

Other than that, it was a pretty damn accurate set of predictions for Sept. 9 of 2017. 

I'm happy to own this one, this is no Patrick Ramsey.:D

3 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Hmm, kind of reminds you of a QB across town named Manning. A laid back guy who people thought would struggle being in NY. Worked out pretty well for him & the Giants, no? 

My car is yellow.

So surely my yellow car will work out as well as your yellow car.

Right?

:lol:

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's pretty tough to go from being wrong in the OP and then digging a deeper grave months later but, you managed to do so. The suck for sam crowd was correct. By winning 5 games, we lost out on 3 2nd round picks. We gained nothing by winning 5 random games in a lost season. So yeah, we should have sucked for Sam. Luckily, our GM was able to pull off a trade to get us in position to get Sam at 3 because he never would have been available at 6. 

As for being right about Sam not winning the Heisman or the team winning the title, who cares? That was never something any of us "suck for sam" predicted. This is a Jets forum, not a "Who will win College Games/Awards forum." 

As I pointed out, in this thread months ago, Peyton Manning/Brady/Eli Manning/Big Ben/Rodgers/Brees/Wilson never won Heisman Trophies and never won College Championships. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion about Sam as a future great NFL QB. 

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thank you.

Those were some real bold predictions.  

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, had we lost one more game, we'd have 3 more 2nd round picks.

Sam Darnold did not go outside the Top 5, and the Suck for Sam crowd was correct.  It would have been far better to lose a few more games and pick 3rd than pick 6th and be forced to trade up.

We got our QB, so we should all be happy.  But let's not pretend that it all worked out perfectly.  Winning meaningless games when your team isn't a contender is always a bad result for your franchise's future.  Always. 

Fortunately, the pro-tank crowd can retire for the foreseeable future.  We no longer have a reason to tank.  We now get to focus on building around our 20-year old face of the franchise. 

20 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Those were some real accurate predictions.  

FYP.

Lets be clear, the only basis for mocking me via this Necro......is that Sam Darnold went #3 instead of #6.

Lol, if that's the worst prediction I ever make, while getting seven other predictions right, well, I can happily live with that.

Far more interesting now, IMO, is how Darnold does going forward.  We have a contingent here who thinks he's Luck reborn.  That's some high hopes right there, gonna be fun watching to see if it's right.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam Darnold did not go outside the Top 5, and the Suck for Sam crowd was correct.  It would have been far better to lose a few more games and pick 3rd than pick 6th and be forced to trade up.

Then I was right once again, as I wouldn;t have signed nor played McCown, I'd have played Hack and Petty, and today I'd have Sam Darnold AND all those 2nds.

For a Necro, this is really going quite well for me so far.  95% right in my OP, and now proven right in my preferred choice of 2017 starting QB's.  Nice.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fortunately, the pro-tank crowd can retire for the foreseeable future.  We no longer have a reason to tank.  We now get to focus on building around our 20-year old face of the franchise. 

I agree, but I think the pro-tank crowd may not go so easily into that good night.  They'll always be someone to tank for so we can get that perfect draft prospect......to help Sam, of course.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

FYP.

Lets be clear, the only basis for mocking me via this Necro......is that Sam Darnold went #3 instead of #6.

Lol, if that's the worst prediction I ever make, while getting seven other predictions right, well, I can happily live with that.

Far more interesting now, IMO, is how Darnold does going forward.  We have a contingent here who thinks he's Luck reborn.  That's some high hopes right there, gonna be fun watching to see if it's right.

You made those predictions when Darnold was playing his worst football.  What's so hard about that?  The vast majority people would have made those same predictions at that time.  In other words, who was arguing that Darnold was going to win the Heisman when he was throwing those INTs?  Who was predicting that USC was going to win the national title at that time?  C'mon, man.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Then I was right once again, as I wouldn;t have signed nor played McCown, I'd have played Hack and Petty, and today I'd have Sam Darnold AND all those 2nds.

For a Necro, this is really going quite well for me so far.  95% right in my OP, and now proven right in my preferred choice of 2017 starting QB's.  Nice.

I agree, but I think the pro-tank crowd may not go so easily into that good night.  They'll always be someone to tank for so we can get that perfect draft prospect......to help Sam, of course.

Not for me.  There's no perfect draft prospect, and in the top 5, there's no real reason to draft anyone outside of a QB.  Maybe a pass rusher or franchise LT.  Otherwise it's too expensive.  Just look at Saquon Barkely.  By taking him 2nd overall, he's now expected to be the 4th-highest paid RB in the NFL.  In that kind of situation I'd prefer to trade down. 

Now that we have our franchise QB, I want our team to be good enough to not have to pick in the top 5 for a very long time. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

FYP.

It wasn't even the worst prediction you made in that same post. 

On 9/25/2017 at 11:53 AM, Warfish said:

And even IF Darnold was everything his most dedicated supports think he is, and even if he is the defacto #1 overall pick, and even if the Jets wind up with that pick......do any of you REALLY think "I know better than everyone else" Macc is going to pick him?  Or do you think Macc will try and grow his legend and trade down, picking another QB, the QB only he knows better about, in a deep QB draft, and gathering more picks to build this low-talent roster?

Not only did Macc pick him, he traded UP for the chance to pick him. 

2 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

You made those predictions when Darnold was playing his worst football.  What's so hard about that?

Who said it was hard?  I said it was accurate, and it was. 

And it was at a time when a goodly portion of folks here thought Darnold WOULD/SHOULD win all those awards, titles and be the #1 overall.

It's ok, folks need a bad guy, and I doubted the new Jets Living Christ Savior, so I know I'm the bad guy here for a while.  Folsk will forget the details, they always do.  I fully expect to see "you hated Sam!" threads five years from now too.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It wasn't even the worst prediction you made in that same post. 

Not only did Macc pick him, he traded UP for the chance to pick him. 

We gonna give Macc some head because he picked Darnold now, after the Browns and Ginats handed him a gift on a silver platter?  My retarded Cat woulda picked Darnold at #3.

Except my retarded Cat would have started Petty/Hack in 2017, and we wouldn't have needed to trade up and lose all those 2nd's to be IN that spot to pick Darnold.

Just now, Warfish said:

We gonna give Macc some head because he picked Darnold now?  My retarded Cat woulda picked Darnold at #3.

Except my retarded Cat would have started Petty/Hack in 2017, and we wouldn't have needed to trade up and lose all those 2nd's to be IN that spot to pick Darnold.

I'm not giving Macc credit for making the obvious choice, just calling you out for being wrong again after you repeatedly argue that your post was filled with great predictions. 

Predicting Darnold wouldn't win a Heisman when the fave going into a year rarely wins the Heisman and the odds on Darnold to start the year were +400 isn't a great prediction. The odds were  in your favor. Same with USC not winning the title. 

Again, quit while your're behind. None of your JETS predictions worked out. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We gonna give Macc some head because he picked Darnold now?  My retarded Cat woulda picked Darnold at #3.

Ah, so you’re a cat person. That explains this whole kerfuffle.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm not giving Macc credit for making the obvious choice, just calling you out for being wrong again after you repeatedly argue that your post was filled with great predictions. 

Mate, facts don't lie.  Line up the predictions, line up the results.  Right far more than wrong.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Predicting Darnold wouldn't win a Heisman when the fave going into a year rarely wins the Heisman and the odds on Darnold to start the year were +400 isn't a great prediction. The odds were  in your favor. Same with USC not winning the title. 

Again, quit while your're behind. None of your JETS predictions worked out. 

Again, no claim they were "great" predictions.  Just that they were accurate predictions.  You seem to be having trouble with this concept....

On 9/25/2017 at 8:53 AM, Warfish said:

I guarantee it*.

Darnold is not as great a college QB as his proponents think, and others have already started to surpass him in hype and attention.

9 TD's and 7 INT's is not greatness at that level.  7 INT's is more than someone supposedly a "generational talent" shouldn't throw at USC in a full season.

Darnold is a sophomore at a great (read party) school in Southern California, where he is king of campus.  If he is not the de facto universal #1 prospect, he will go back to USC.  

Because he can.  Because the 2019 draft class isn't so chock full of QB's.  And because insurance will cover his fiscal risks.

Darnold wants to stay in Cali.  He's from Capistrano Beach, CA.  He plays at USC.  He's a sun-soaked Cali kid through and through.  He does not want to play in the rust belt, or the swamp of fetid New Jersey.  Don't think he doesn't know who Mark Sanchez is and how that played out.

If the 49'ers don't get the #1 pick, and Darnold is not heir choice as #1, he could easily stay in college.  His demeanor shows he doesn't like the "Darnold Jets Jersey" hype.

Darnold is already "old hype", like Watson before him.  People will spend all season, and then all lead-up-to-draft tearing down Darnold and his game.  And instead they'll talk up the newest hotnesses.

He won't win the Heisman.  He won't win a National title.  And he won't be the best QB in college.  His shadow of legend will fade before the draft, especially if he keeps throwing INT's trying to look like a super star instead of doing whats needed to BE a super star even if it's less flashy.

Just wait folks.  Don't worry about the draft, it's ages from now, and so much can and will change between now and then.  

But I'm telling you now, Sam Darnold will almost assuredly NOT be the #1 overall pick of this next draft in 2018.  And he very well may not even be top 5.  Or in the draft at all.

You heard it here.

*Disclaimer:  Guarantee does nto represent a legally binding contract, and is intended for entertainment value only.  No warranty, express or implicit is implied via this post.  Anything can happen, and who the **** knows, maybe Darnold IS the man.  But he may not be.  We can't know now, and won;t know till early next year ffs.  So stop rooting against your team.

Well, this is awkward.

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Warfish, your insecurity is showing.  You've responded to basically every poster in this thread since it got bumped.  It's OK to just take the L and move on.  We all get stuff wrong.  Its a message board.  Who cares.

I'm not sure if you know who I am.

Hi, I'm Warfish.  I ALWAYS try and respond to every poster who wants to engage in civil debate on our beloved Jets.

I would think after what, feels like 20 years on JI and JN, people would be used to me by now.

I assure you, I'm not insecure.  I can read that OP and see what I got right, and what I got wrong. 

I can also put it in it's proper context of the debates being had AT THAT TIME and know why the OP was written.

I can also see the same old homerism running rampant that always happens in these circumstances. 

Darnold is the new Jets Christ, and any doubters, even in Sept. of 2017, must be purged!  Same thing that happened when we drafted Sanchez and I was against THAT pick, I got crushed regularly for my doubts and criticism of the pick.  Of course, I was quite right about Sanchez, but it's funny, no one who buttfumbles on draft night ever comes back to admit THAT fact now, lol. 

Same forums as always.

Also, not an L in any form.  No matter how many chuckleheads think this is their golden moment to get one over on me, lol.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We got our QB, so we should all be happy.  But let's not pretend that it all worked out perfectly.  Winning meaningless games when your team isn't a contender is always a bad result for your franchise's future.  Always. 

Exactly. I’m not for tanking outright. But last year should have been a development year. To see who can play for future and who cannot. Mac should have been FORCED to play Christian hackenberg and petty. 8 games each, 10/6, whatever. Mac used a very valuable 2nd round pick on hac. He got to walk around smug as if he found his franchise qb. But then was afraid to play him he was that bad? It looks worse on him for not letting him take a snap. Why not see for sure ? It was the perfect situation to try hackenberg out. At worst we can confirm he is garbage and we don’t win more than 3 games. We pick darnold at #2, grab a stud OL, edge rusher, and rb all in the 2nd round. Hackenberg would have done the jets right.. But instead we had a HC/gm Who felt like winning 2 extra games and throwing away 3 likely imediate impact starters were the way to go ?

Archived