Sam Darnold will NOT Be a Top 5 Pick in the next NFL Draft

Warfish

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam Darnold did not go outside the Top 5, and the Suck for Sam crowd was correct.  It would have been far better to lose a few more games and pick 3rd than pick 6th and be forced to trade up.

We got our QB, so we should all be happy.  But let's not pretend that it all worked out perfectly.  Winning meaningless games when your team isn't a contender is always a bad result for your franchise's future.  Always. 

Fortunately, the pro-tank crowd can retire for the foreseeable future.  We no longer have a reason to tank.  We now get to focus on building around our 20-year old face of the franchise. 

Amazing that you are still hanging onto this belief that losers are winners...  For all the ridiculous whining the suck for sam crowd did we wound up with our guy...  largely because Maccnificient fleeced the Seahawks for that 2nd rounder.

You're right though the pro tank crown can definitely retire.  Maccs got this sh-t.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Amazing that you are still hanging onto this belief that losers are winners...  For all the ridiculous whining the suck for sam crowd did we wound up with our guy...  largely because Maccnificient fleeced the Seahawks for that 2nd rounder.

You're right though the pro tank crown can definitely retire.  Maccs got this sh-t.

If you're picking 3rd or 6th, you're a loser either way.  I'd rather pick 3rd. 

We lucked out this time, but there have been several examples in Jet history (and I imagine for other franchises as well) showing how winning meaningless games helped cost us quality players.  Matt Ryan being the best example of this.  Vernon Gholston, on the other side of the coin, was also a Jet as a result of winning late season, meaningless games.  

Again, I'm incredibly happy to have Sam, my # 1 choice.  But the means by which we got there was simply dumb.  Starting the ageless wonder Josh McCown was a really dumb decision, and I stand by that. 

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I actually think his temperament is well-suited to NY.  Seems to take it all in stride.  Not going to freak out the first time the Daily News writes a funny headline about him.  Never seemed to be adversely affected by all the INTs -- just moved on to the next play.  And I wouldn't be fooled by the "laid-back" California demeanor.  This guy wants to be great.

While i’m very much unsure about Darnold I think this is spot-on. The Baker Mayfield rah-rah stuff is great when you are winning and at Oklahoma he almost always was but in the NFL that Schtick can get old quickly. Also with Rosen there’s a similar sense. The laid-back approach of Darnold might indeed be exactly right for New York. For sure he has a very level-headed approach for a 20 year  old and that is promising 

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Who said it was hard?  I said it was accurate, and it was. 

And it was at a time when a goodly portion of folks here thought Darnold WOULD/SHOULD win all those awards, titles and be the #1 overall.

It's ok, folks need a bad guy, and I doubted the new Jets Living Christ Savior, so I know I'm the bad guy here for a while.  Folsk will forget the details, they always do.  I fully expect to see "you hated Sam!" threads five years from now too.

No, it was not at a time when people thought Darnold would/should win all of those awards.  It was at a time when everyone realized that he would not win all of those awards, so stop your nonsense.

Archived