Terrance Brooks- Defensive Player of the Week

JoJoTownsell1

17 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, I get it.  When a trade is good, its Mac fault he did something else that could have been better.  When a trade/pick is bad, its all Mac's fault.  Everything is his fault.

Imagine if we HAD taken a chance on a headcase like Cook, especially after all the locker room BS from last year, and he was suspended within a year.  Now that SURELY would have been Mac's fault. 

I have no problem ignoring azzholes with bad pasts. Trading Sheldon was the right thing to do, getting Kearse & a 2, awesome. We have Morton who came from the WCO philosophy from Sean Payton & they like to have a trifecta of backs. I have no problem passing on Cook, this team seems to have good chemistry already.

Adams was on the field for 54/63 snaps, Maye was on the field for 63/63 snaps and Brooks was on the field 30/63 snaps. At the game it seemed like the Jets were in 3 safety alignments a lot - but now on paper it looks like they were in that alignment about half of the defensive snaps. This is a lot of three safety looks. Two thoughts on this. The first is that the Jets were stopping the run which helped allow this to happen more. Second, they could not play this style of defense with last years safeties. Hopefully their plan continues to work - but stopping the run sets all this up.

As for Mac being haunted by other good players that he passed over - YES he will be haunted, especially by this fanbase, for every RB and QB that he could have picked in 2017 that turns into a productive , all pro level NFL player.

I wonder how he sleeps at night, with all that haunting going on.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, RSJ said:

Adams was on the field for 54/63 snaps, Maye was on the field for 63/63 snaps and Brooks was on the field 30/63 snaps. At the game it seemed like the Jets were in 3 safety alignments a lot - but now on paper it looks like they were in that alignment about half of the defensive snaps. This is a lot of three safety looks. Two thoughts on this. The first is that the Jets were stopping the run which helped allow this to happen more. Second, they could not play this style of defense with last years safeties. Hopefully their plan continues to work - but stopping the run sets all this up.

Weird thing is, you'd think after this last preseason that we have a dozen safeties on the team.  Those three are the only three active safeties we have.  The fourth is Miles, who is injured.  Nobody else.  If Miles isn't back soon, we probably need to add another.  But that will be Macc's fault too :)

10 hours ago, RSJ said:

Love the 3 safety sets. Brooks looks more like a hybrid, and all of them possess versatility which is really important right now in this league with the rule changes. Now we only need to replace Skrine. He's a team player but he gets targeted way too much to be a #2 CB, I'd keep him for depth for nickel & dime defenses if his salary isn't too high but he's just not good enough to start in a base defense. We'll have a ton of money to hopefully go after a Trumain Johnson type of CB, that would really allow our safeties to roam! 

On 9/27/2017 at 4:37 PM, JetsFanatic said:

Remember that thread when the trade was made and all the SOJFs were acting like McDougle was a HOFer??? ? 

http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/133381-schefter-mcdougle-traded-to-eagles-for-s-terrence-brooks/

Holy crap, I just reread that thread when we made the McDougle trade for Brooks and the comments look hilarious now. Bunch of comments from the resident geniuses that make fun of other people's comments on this site. 

Funny as hell that McDougle probably won't see the field & Brooks is the NFL defensive player of the week. Macc just reminded half this board complaining about him that he isn't as stupid as he's portrayed here. Looks like Adams, Maye, Brooks might be a very good trifecta in the secondary. 

On 9/27/2017 at 12:45 PM, bostonmajet said:

Also, not to be too nit picky, but wasn't the article a little off. His first interception wasn't thrown by Cutler, but came on the fake punt, no?

You are correct. I thought the same thing when I read it. It's like the guy who wrote the article didn't even watch the game. Or look at the stat sheet.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:13 PM, RSJ said:

Adams was instrumental in stopping the run because Maye was deep and Brooks playing SS. Adams moved around and used his instincts. 

Adams played almost every snap until they sat him for the last 2 drives in garbage time. They also played that 3 safety set almost every 1st and 2nd down until the 4th quarter when they went more dime. 

I need to give tiny LB some credit here. He stayed in his lane pretty consistently. they seemed to key on him and he held his ground and didn't try to do to much, or get frustrated as he did the first two games.

This allowed DD, and Adams to get all the stats by limiting cut back lanes that were wide open previously. 

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

Holy crap, I just reread that thread when we made the McDougle trade for Brooks and the comments look hilarious now. Bunch of comments from the resident geniuses that make fun of other people's comments on this site. 

Funny as hell that McDougle probably won't see the field & Brooks is the NFL defensive player of the week. Macc just reminded half this board complaining about him that he isn't as stupid as he's portrayed here. Looks like Adams, Maye, Brooks might be a very good trifecta in the secondary. 

Just to add Middleton who I thought was looking great pre season before the IR. 4 safeties under 26 with a lot of upside to solidify a position that has been bad for a long time. 

23 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Just to add Middleton who I thought was looking great pre season before the IR. 4 safeties under 26 with a lot of upside to solidify a position that has been bad for a long time. 

Agreed, I forgot about Middleton & like you I really liked what I saw of him when he got opportunities. Is he on IR? Cause if he comes back Miles is gone in my opinion. I like Miles Moxie, his range sucks though.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:13 PM, RSJ said:

Jamal Adams is also the team's best OLB option, better than Donahue, Jenkins, etc. Put it another way the injury to Mauldin and general lack of edge players means Brooks/Maye and Adams with the LBs is the best 11.  There was a reason Sheldon was playing OLB. The coaches are still desperate for bodies at that position.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Jamal Adams is also the team's best OLB option, better than Donahue, Jenkins, etc. Put it another way the injury to Mauldin and general lack of edge players means Brooks/Maye and Adams with the LBs is the best 11.  There was a reason Sheldon was playing OLB. The coaches are still desperate for bodies at that position.  

In a thread where people are tonguing Maccagnan's balls for trading a bottom-of-the-depth-chart CB for a third safety, this is a worthwhile reminder that the team is still league-worst at basically every position that actually matters.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

This is one of the most surprising things to me. When Mac came here one of his main points was to build a pipeline of LBs here similar to what Pitt has done.  I guess it will take a couple more drafts but I would rather have studs at LB than on the DL.  

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

*facepalms so hard my hand actually goes through my skull, spilling my brains all over the floor, I am now dead*

what i am saying is... Leo fell to him in his first draft so I cant fault him there when some were calling leo the best overall player in the draft sitting there for us at 6.  Other than that I am hoping that we start plugging the line with big bodies and focus on talent at LB. That was what i expected even if we may have missed with LEE and I am not ready to call him a bust.

9 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

what i am saying is... Leo fell to him in his first draft so I cant fault him there when some were calling leo the best overall player in the draft sitting there for us at 6.  Other than that I am hoping that we start plugging the line with big bodies and focus on talent at LB. That was what i expected even if we may have missed with LEE and I am not ready to call him a bust.

And what I'm saying is that it's unlikely that Maccagnan will suddenly figure out how to scout linebackers in year four.

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

There was nothing wrong with what you originally said. The Jets plan was clear but of course, like every team, there are draft picks that don't pan out. Look at the giants great defense. JPP/Collins/Goodson were all very good draft picks, but then there were some busts (Apple/Amukamara etc..) so they were forced to bring in high priced FAs like Snacks/DRC/Vernon/Cassilas to transform a weak defense into a great one (or at least what should be a great defense). 

Macc has tried to draft a solid defense/offense but obviously, at some point, he will have to buy some FAs to fill in the gaps where drafted players busted out. This is the year macc will evaluate the team and decide where the cap space will be used to solidify this team heading into next year.  Dbatesman thinks a GM should be fired if he can't draft a team of starters at every position within 3 years. Obviously, that's not realistic to ask from any GM. 

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There was nothing wrong with what you originally said. The Jets plan was clear but of course, like every team, there are draft picks that don't pan out. Look at the giants great defense. JPP/Collins/Goodson were all very good draft picks, but then there were some busts (Apple/Amukamara etc..) so they were forced to bring in high priced FAs like Snacks/DRC/Vernon/Cassilas to transform a weak defense into a great one (or at least what should be a great defense). 

Macc has tried to draft a solid defense/offense but obviously, at some point, he will have to buy some FAs to fill in the gaps where drafted players busted out. This is the year macc will evaluate the team and decide where the cap space will be used to solidify this team heading into next year.  Dbatesman thinks a GM should be fired if he can't draft a team of starters at every position within 3 years. Obviously, that's not realistic to ask from any GM. 

Forget starters...if each & everyone is not an all-pro in year 1 he should be fired. Forget giving them 3 years to be good NFL players.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:14 PM, JetFaninMI said:

Typical Same Old JoJo bullsh*t. You can't justify passing on Cook when you already drafted Adams. Not with the holes this team had on offense. Same goes with trading that 3rd rounder when you could have drafted a pretty decent OL with it. No one even mentioned Mcdougle at all. Except you to make a point that doesn't have anything to do with what was posted. SOJJ.

Plus, when we drafted Jamal Adam's leadership, I'd think that that would free us up to take guys who're character question marks.  Merely having Jamal Adam's leadership on the team would have kept Cook on the straight and narrow.

34 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Plus, when we drafted Jamal Adam's leadership, I'd think that that would free us up to take guys who're character question marks.  Merely having Jamal Adam's leadership on the team would have kept Cook on the straight and narrow.

You mean like the way Eli Manning , Jonathan casillas and Landon Collins have kept Odell Beckham on the right path?

On 9/27/2017 at 3:09 PM, ChuckkieB said:

Um, I was pretty clear that I wanted the Jets to draft Cook BEFORE the draft, and seeing that he was available when the Jets picked in the second round, YES, I feel he should have been a Jet.  Picking another safety was a DUMB move when the team had a laundry list of other holes. 

As for Mac being haunted by other good players that he passed over - YES he will be haunted, especially by this fanbase, for every RB and QB that he could have picked in 2017 that turns into a productive , all pro level NFL player.

While drafting two safeties is pretty wacky, using a first or second round pick on a RB with character issues is one of the few moves that would have been worse. You're already locked into blowing both a physical prime year at RB and a cheap rookie contract year. Safeties likely peak a little later, it's at least a little harder to find competent starters than RB, stay a little healthier, etc...The safety thing makes lots of sense if they find a QB sooner rather than later even more so than having a RB. 

It is maybe not as extreme as I am making it sound but nobody should really give a damn about running the ball anymore. This game is learn to pass and have a defense that won't get penalized to death trying to stop the pass. 

Oh and all this talk of all these holes the Jets have is noise. They're a QB away and have been forever. 

Archived