Andrew luck question

JOJOTOWNSELL

6 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Just heard this hypothetical question on joe and evan

assuming the jets wound up with the number 1 overall pick would you be trade it for Andrew Luck? Why or why not? 

Just the #1 pick, nothing else? WITHOUT A DOUBT. And Luck is healthy?

Luck is a proven. Darnold, Rosen, etc. we have no idea. We all know what Luck is. End of discussion. 

That's a tough one.  Luck is head and shoulders better than anyone coming out of this insanely overhyped draft.  However, he's going to be expensive.  Whereas, if you believe Rosen or any other QB could be 90% of Luck...well, that might enough to be great in the league and at that cost in comparison is obviously more more appealing.

Tough call.  I think it would be depend on Luck's health, what you have in cap space and how you truly feel about the QB prospects.  Gun to head, I'd do it because the bust probability on all these QB's is extremely high IMO and Luck is the real deal who has literally carried a terrible team to 11 wins, twice and an AFC Champ game. 

That's a tough one. The short answer is, Yes. The long answer is, if our GM thinks that darnold or Rosen are sure fire locks to be great then No since Luck's salary cap hit will hurt our chances of surrounding our QB with sufficient talent. 

Look at the Ravens after they gave Flacco big money. Look at the Seahawks before and after giving Wilson a big contract. 

The reason the Seahawks were so dominant for a number of years was because they were getting very good QB play at a discount. Now that Wilson is making big money they can't afford an Oline. Sure they could have let some defenders go and built a better oline but then the defense would be less dominant. 

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Of course if he was healthy. I like Cousins & think he's ascending and getting better. I want a confident QB & Cousins believes in himself. Skins would be crazy to let him get away. YOU LIKE THAT?

Cousins would be ideal. It would allow us to keep our high draft pick and draft Saquon Barkley or an OL to immediately make our offense borderline elite. 

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cousins would be ideal. It would allow us to keep our high draft pick and draft Saquon Barkley or an OL to immediately make our offense borderline elite. 

I think I rather do this. Sign Cousins and using the high pick to compliment him. 

But damn, it's nice to imagine what it would be like with a healthy Luck on this team.

Umm... never gonna happen.  No friggin' way.  But just for spitballings sake...

First, it would take significantly more than the #1 overall. 

Second, I recall the Dolphins passing on Brees because of a shoulder injury and he signed with the Saints.  That worked out great... for Nawlins'.  Obviously not the same thing because they are different injuries.   But if Luck checks out physically, I would give #1 overall plus 3 more firsts if that is what it takes. 

33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's a tough one. The short answer is, Yes. The long answer is, if our GM thinks that darnold or Rosen are sure fire locks to be great then No since Luck's salary cap hit will hurt our chances of surrounding our QB with sufficient talent. 

Look at the Ravens after they gave Flacco big money. Look at the Seahawks before and after giving Wilson a big contract. 

The reason the Seahawks were so dominant for a number of years was because they were getting very good QB play at a discount. Now that Wilson is making big money they can't afford an Oline. Sure they could have let some defenders go and built a better oline but then the defense would be less dominant. 

They were getting Sherman for a song, too. They still had one of the top three salary numbers in the league the year they played the Broncos.

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Umm... never gonna happen.  No friggin' way.  But just for spitballings sake...

First, it would take significantly more than the #1 overall. 

Second, I recall the Dolphins passing on Brees because of a shoulder injury and he signed with the Saints.  That worked out great... for Nawlins'.  Obviously not the same thing because they are different injuries.   But if Luck checks out physically, I would give #1 overall plus 3 more firsts if that is what it takes. 

I think the opposite.  I'd probably want more than Luck.  His cap hit is pretty huge, but I think he is tradeable because I don't think he has a huge bonus that would accelerate.  He is making Cousins money, but if you got Cousins you still have #1 overall and can pick or trade it for more.  If you use the pick you have a guy locked up reasonably for 5 years.  Luck is making $21-29M per, Goff $5-8M.  You can get a ton of good players with the difference.

59 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agree but you would have a short timeline...see my other thread CAN YOU WIN A SUPER BOWL PAYING YOUR QB 25 million a year?

Just now, Jetster said:

Agree but you would have a short timeline...see my other thread CAN YOU WIN A SUPER BOWL PAYING YOUR QB 25 million a year?

The way the Jets are built now, we can actually pull it off. We can cut mo Wilk loose (saving an additionally 16 million) and just about all of our other players are young cheap. We could sign Cousins, draft Barkley/OL at the top of the ddaft and bring in a few moderately high priced FAs to fill whatever gaps we have after this season (CB and OL). 

I love Luck, but Cousins plus our first is probably more valuable than just Luck. And that's assuming the Colts are willing to part with Luck for JUST a first.

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the opposite.  I'd probably want more than Luck.  His cap hit is pretty huge, but I think he is tradeable because I don't think he has a huge bonus that would accelerate.  He is making Cousins money, but if you got Cousins you still have #1 overall and can pick or trade it for more.  If you use the pick you have a guy locked up reasonably for 5 years.  Luck is making $21-29M per, Goff $5-8M.  You can get a ton of good players with the difference.

Luck's cap hit is $19.4 M.  Mo Wilk's is $18 M

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The way the Jets are built now, we can actually pull it off. We can cut mo Wilk loose (saving an additionally 16 million) and just about all of our other players are young cheap. We could sign Cousins, draft Barkley/OL at the top of the ddaft and bring in a few moderately high priced FAs to fill whatever gaps we have after this season (CB and OL). 

I love Luck, but Cousins plus our first is probably more valuable than just Luck. And that's assuming the Colts are willing to part with Luck for JUST a first.

Hey, I love your thinking! This is the time to do it with Cousins if at all possible, but he's playing so well its seriously a no brainer to get him signed. Skins fans will burn the place down if Cousins takes them to the playoffs & lets him walk.

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

is there a reasonable scenario where wilk stays next year?  what is he doing now anyway?  if you didn't know his name and draft position, you'd watch the jet games and he'd be invisible and largely irrelevant.

Oh, if I'm Macc he's the 1st one gone in the offseason. Sends a nice message to the team regarding expectations too.

6 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I think I rather do this. Sign Cousins and using the high pick to compliment him. 

But damn, it's nice to imagine what it would be like with a healthy Luck on this team.

If we sign Cousins, I have to believe there's ZERO chance we'd draft a non-QB position with that #1 overall pick.  There would be FAR more value trading it for a boatload of draft choices to a QB-needy team.  Interestingly I think Buffalo has 2 #1's, 2 #2's and 2 #3's next year.  But there's no way we'd trade him intra-division.  Could you imagine how risky a move that would be?  Hilarious to think about.  

In any case, I think theres' also ZERO chance we'd sign Cousins if we have a shot to pick Darnold.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Very interesting points.  I wonder what an NFL expert would say.  Somehow I still think the Jets would have to give more than the #1 for Luck but I have no way of knowing.

2 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Luck is pushing 30 and hasn't done sh*t.

He's almost 30?  Wow, didn't realize that.  For as bad as the Jets' organization is, the Colts should be ashamed of themselves for not surrounding him with more talent after all this time.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's almost 30?  Wow, didn't realize that.  For as bad as the Jets' organization is, the Colts should be ashamed of themselves for not surrounding him with more talent after all this time.

He just turned 28 two weeks ago.

Archived