Muhammad Wilkerson says shoulder injury could be year-long issue

Gas2No99

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was not movable once this new contract was attached to him.

Maybe in theory, if we agreed to eat a good chunk of his remaining guaranteed money for 2017, but that was never going to happen less than a year after the extension was signed.

Watch for him to come on strong over the last half or third of the season so we keep him past the guaranteed portion of his deal, only to suck again in 2018.

true enough.  at least they can launch him after this season without too much of a cap hit. i think most fans have this notion that this guy or that can't be replaced but the reality is most of the players are in it for a pay day some lose the fire once they get their big money deals. wilk certainly had a monster year and deserved a pay raise but not to where he ended up.  as you said, it would've been better for the jets to franshise him and then negotiate after last season.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was not movable once this new contract was attached to him.

Maybe in theory, if we agreed to eat a good chunk of his remaining guaranteed money for 2017, but that was never going to happen less than a year after the extension was signed.

Watch for him to come on strong over the last half or third of the season so we keep him past the guaranteed portion of his deal, only to suck again in 2018.

yeah his contract probably makes it impossible to move, as i said, and I agree that I don't think we would have been willing to take on "dead" money. 

I also agree that I think he will probably play well the last half of the season to make the decision to move on, or whatever trade (doubtful), a difficult one for Mac.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

true enough.  at least they can launch him after this season without too much of a cap hit. i think most fans have this notion that this guy or that can't be replaced but the reality is most of the players are in it for a pay day some lose the fire once they get their big money deals. wilk certainly had a monster year and deserved a pay raise but not to where he ended up.  as you said, it would've been better for the jets to franshise him and then negotiate after last season.

Agree. I don't know where it's written that we ever needed two high-priced DT bodies on the roster. Having 1 mega millions type (Leo) should be plenty, with a merely-good second body. I'd rather spend the Mo's $17m per (even if overspending) on a true edge rusher that creates consistent pressure. It'd create a far more balanced spending plan. Mo certainly doesn't qualify for that role. Even a pay cut is inappropriate, as it would likely be filled with incentives he could reach fairly easily, that would bring it back to where it was. Not worth it.

This spring we should already be looking into extending Leo beyond his rookie deal. His price is only going to go up, and we're only going to lose leverage after year 4; as such a high pick, his 5th year option is already going to be in the $15m range; far higher than we were hit with for Mo or Sheldon. The more time that elapses, the worse our position becomes.

He's eligible in March. It'd bump up his 2018 number in particular (once a new SB gets amortized in), but a few years down the road it'll really show up as being forward planning. We have to spend plenty, so I'd rather pay down the future hits of a sure-thing than purely force-feed unworthy UFAs again to spend it all. When his going rate is in the $20-22m range (it'll happen) in 2020 and beyond as the cap approaches $200m, we could have him locked up with hits in the mid-high teens annually by spreading out a signing bonus earlier.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:48 PM, Gas2No99 said:

Muhammad Wilkerson says being lazy and overpaid could be year-long issue

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0927%2Fr265713_1 Muhammad Wilkerson hasn't made much of an impact on the stat sheets so far this season. AP Photo/Adrian Kraus

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It looks like it'll be another year of laziness questions for Muhammad Wilkerson.

The New York Jets' defensive end revealed Wednesday that he is lazy and overpaid, a condition he believes will have to be managed throughout the season.

"Yeah, probably, most likely, but that's football," said Wilkerson, who still shows up late to team meetings and can often be seen emptying out the buffet trays at the local Golden Corral. "That comes with the business. I decided to be lazy every day, including Sundays, because that sucker, Maccagnan, gave me all kinds of guaranteed money."

The condition, which occurred when he signed a 5-year, $86 million contract, will limit his practice time and make him totally ineffective on Sundays. He didn't practice on Wednesday, but he expects to play Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Wilkerson underwent an attitude check, and the results were negative, according to coach Todd Bowles, who also acknowledged this could be a season-long issue.

Looking at the big picture, this is the second straight year Wilkerson has been lazy and ineffective. His laziness became an issue last season when he was seen laughing on his way to the bank.  It was a hugely disappointing season for Wilkerson, who finished with only 4.5 sacks.

"I'll be all right," Wilkerson said, downplaying the shoulder. "I told you, I'll be all right. I'm not frustrated. Why should I be? I got guaranteed money."

The Jets were satisfied with Wilkerson's performance Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, but his season stats aren't jumping off the page -- nine tackles, no sacks and no quarterback hits.

This is an important year for the former Pro Bowl end. It's the second year of a five-year, $86 million contract, but there's no guarantee he'll be on the team next year. His 2018 salary ($16.75 million) doesn't become guaranteed until the third day of the '18 league year in March, meaning there's an easy escape for the Jets.

Fellow defensive lineman Leonard Williams still is battling a preseason wrist injury. He, too, is off to a slow start from a statistical perspective -- 10 tackles, no sacks, three quarterback hits. Bowles sounded more concerned about Williams than Wilkerson.

"It's going to be delicate," Bowles said of the injury. "We've got to understand when he's in a lot of pain and when he's not. It has to be managed every week all year, so it seems. It can be [limiting]."

Archived