Albert Breer on the Jets

Bronxville Jets Fan

It's funny. The Jets are growing and kind of look like they're on the upswing. And yet they lack long term answers at quarterback, running back, and edge rusher - plus a top CB and a top WR. And the offensive line needs some younger pieces. Plus a nose tackle would be nice.

I don't mean this sarcastically, but the culture seems better and there are some young pieces I like.

It'll be interesting to see how they build though. I like Morton. Running the WCO means a guy like Allen might not fit and if they're not picking #1 maybe there's an opportunity to wait on a QB. I'd love to see some offensive linemen added but if they do it outside the first round maybe a focus on run blocking guys since that tends to come as less of a premium. A guy like Barkley could completely change the offense as much as it's weak to add a back. I'm definitely curious to see where this rebuild goes.

14 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Pretty much sums up how I was thinking walking out of Metlife after the Dolphins game. 

Walking out at 2 and 2 after the beat the Jaguars will feel even better!

14 hours ago, Pcola said:

Great point.  And to that I'll give you:

2003 - Brooks Bollinger 6th round

2006 - Kellen Clemens 2nd round

2008 - Erik Ainge 5th round

2011 - Greg McElroy 7th round

2013 - Geno Smith 2nd round

2014 - Tajh Boyd 7th round

2015 - Bryce Petty 4th round

2016 - Hackenberg 2 round

So we've missed on our last 8 non first round QBs.  It's probably much longer a list but I went back far enough to prove my point.  A very small number of teams can hit on a QB in the later rounds.  Some might have the best OL in the NFL with a superstar at RB and WR, another team may draft a guy who is 5'10" where most teams dismissed him because of a couple of inches.  We are not one of those few teams obviously.

Now as far as our 1st round QBs, we've hit on 2 of our last 3.  (Hit on O'Brien & Pennington, missed on Sanchez).

So the best chance to solidify our chances of a massive turnaround would be to use out #1 pick on a QB.

See, I have no idea why the Jets did most of those picks . I would have drafted Geno and Hack, but not any of the others.   Instead of Clemens, I would have taken Cutler with our 1st round pick that year instead of Ferguson.  I would also have not passed on Derek  Carr .  

I was cynical about the purge, I felt that Bowles was unloading all the malcontents and going young so he could retake the locker room - and that that was it. Now it looks, instead, like they really did unload deadweight and that he's succeeded in retaking the locker room and has his young team playing with enthusiasm. Jamal Adams, leader of men, appears to be a much better pick than I originally thought. Very impressed with the resilience today. 

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

See, I have no idea why the Jets did most of those picks . I would have drafted Geno and Hack, but not any of the others.   Instead of Clemens, I would have taken Cutler with our 1st round pick that year instead of Ferguson.  I would also have not passed on Derek  Carr .  

I remember everyone on JI begging for Cutler.  Can't argue with the pick as we solved our LT spot for 10+ years.

I agree with you in that I have no idea what the Jets were doing with all of those picks. Hated the Petty pick but because it was a 4th rounder, I liked what he's done the last 2 seasons.  Hated the Hack pick and still for the life of me what they saw in him.

I been hoping for a no brainer pick at the top of the draft.  Obviously that's never gonna happen again in my lifetime so time to move on.  Re-sign McCown for a couple of seasons and hope like he'll what ever long shot we get this year hits.

Archived