Great job Coach

Embrace the Suck

It was nice to see them pull this win out after they fell apart in the 4th quarter. That's got to be an emotional win for this team.

The Jags are a legit defense and it was nice to the Jets run all over them. I love the way some of our young players are playing, especially on defense. They fly all over the field. They look young and fast out there. It's good to see.

24 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It was nice to see them pull this win out after they fell apart in the 4th quarter. That's got to be an emotional win for this team.

The Jags are a legit defense and it was nice to the Jets run all over them. I love the way some of our young players are playing, especially on defense. They fly all over the field. They look young and fast out there. It's good to see.

they fell apart?  well they had that one really bad play but i didn't see them fall apart.  the defense held them to a fg to tie it up at the end of regulation and then played well enough to stop jax from scoring in the ot.  but that's the way it is sometimes.  what did al davis want?  pride and poise?  so teams shouldn't panic or start playing badly after a horrible play like that lateral.  they need to forget it and just keep the faith.

Just now, rangerous said:

they fell apart?  well they had that one really bad play but i didn't see them fall apart.  the defense held them to a fg to tie it up at the end of regulation and then played well enough to stop jax from scoring in the ot.  but that's the way it is sometimes.  what did al davis want?  pride and poise?  so teams shouldn't panic or start playing badly after a horrible play like that lateral.  they need to forget it and just keep the faith.

They had a 10 point lead and were in the red zone ready to put the game away and they gave up a fluke TD to the Jags defense and then Powell slipped and the Jags got a huge INT which led to a game tying FG. It was fluky plays but that would have been a tough loss to swallow if it happened. That's all I meant.

The D didn't get torched or anything but the flow of the game started to trend towards Jacksonville. In OT the Jets played great.

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They had a 10 point lead and were in the red zone ready to put the game away and they gave up a fluke TD to the Jags defense and then Powell slipped and the Jags got a huge INT which led to a game tying FG. It was fluky plays but that would have been a tough loss to swallow if it happened. That's all I meant.

The D didn't get torched or anything but the flow of the game started to trend towards Jacksonville. In OT the Jets played great.

the defense played really well.  you gotta love how they were able to bottle up fournette.  i think lofton was dead on right when jax had the ball in the red zone and they took fournette out.  you gotta keep the thoroughbreds in the game.  and yes it would've been a tough loss after how well they played.  but it also exposed how mediocre the jet offense can be.

56 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The team is playing with purpose. The young players are starting to step up. The offense is looking like it can score regularly and the defense is starting to look like it could be special with some time. Keep it up!

Thank you and the fact that Bowles is coaching the heck out of a team that MOST NFL observers said would be lucky to win 3 games all season is killing some folks out here. :) 

Look at the game as soon as the Jets made stupid plays it was Bowles this or Bowles that, instead of dam the Jets made a bad play.  The Jets played tough the whole game and we as fans can be proud of the Jets effort win lose or draw.

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Was that a defensive adjustment over time I saw today? Cause it was looking like we were getting run over all game until the second quarter.

The players on D seems to have a purpose now instead of running around blindly. It' a good start. More so they seem to have done so for two weeks in a row which I was waiting for.  

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you and the fact that Bowles is coaching the heck out of a team that MOST NFL observers said would be lucky to win 3 games all season is killing some folks out here. :) 

Look at the game as soon as the Jets made stupid plays it was Bowles this or Bowles that, instead of dam the Jets made a bad play.  The Jets played tough the whole game and we as fans can be proud of the Jets effort win lose or draw.

Some people are like that (short sighted -knee jerk reactions- no context). Not everyone. So for instance the lateral fluke TD Jack had. Can't blame Bowles; it was poor execution among a lot of good execution. The first two games they were a mess (undisciplined/unaware) that I can and do hold the coach (any coach) accountable for. To Todd's credit he seems to have turned the ship around these past two weeks and I think it will continue. I want him to succeed, I like his demeanor, but that doesn't mean I look past faults either. 

13 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Bottom line: proof that Macc provided ample talent on budget.

It's up to the coaching staff to bring it out of them and utilize each part effectively.

That is fine. As soon as Macc delivers a QB it looks like the Jets will be good to go!

35 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is fine. As soon as Macc delivers a QB it looks like the Jets will be good to go!

Fair enough. He wasn't in position to write off Hack in April. There were no earth-shattering QBs in the draft. Next draft the picture is clearer.

As soon as the coaching staff develops a QB we'll be good to go.

For now, I hope everyone stays healthy ... even McCown.

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Fair enough. He wasn't in position to write off Hack in April. There were no earth-shattering QBs in the draft. Next draft the picture is clearer.

As soon as the coaching staff develops a QB we'll be good to go.

For now, I hope everyone stays healthy ... even McCown.

Well I have been saying for a long time I hope they develop one of the kids on the roster. I think Petty is a great story but he is so brittle. I haven't written Hack off like most have but I would admit he is a long shot.

So if neither of those guys pan out it will be more of an indictment of Macc rather than the coaches. Unless of course either of them go on somewhere else and play (doubtful).

It really is a non-issue though because Macc is building young talent on this roster and the team is responding to Bowles and company. So I have always believed that Macc and Bowles will both be back next year, with a new QB most likely.

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The team is playing with purpose. The young players are starting to step up. The offense is looking like it can score regularly and the defense is starting to look like it could be special with some time. Keep it up!

The Jets are the only team I know of that can actually **** up by winning

5 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Pathetic!!!  Bowles and the job he has done with this young team has completely destroyed the sojf hater brigade!

Uhhh...while I like the job the D is doing these days, lets not be over joyous just yet.

When you look at the O, it ain't so 'young'...at least those that are actually being used.

It says a lot that when at the last minute when you trade for a Kearse, and pick up a Kerley off off waivers, they garner the boatload of offensive targets from your 38 yo QB.  And it took an injury to the 34 yo RB to make the Jets use the younger RB options.  I don't see much development of 'young' guys on O.

If the Jets were 2-2 with Petty or Hack, I'd be ecstatic...but with a good running game (lately with the younger guys) and D combined with McCown, Kerley and Forte on O?  To me, that's partial progress at best, and while we may win 6 games with this dink and dunk BS from McCown, we ain't winning sh*t against the better teams.

If Stewart were playing the Kerley role, Hansen had maybe a catch or two, and Petty or Hack were playing the McCown role...that would be some serious progress.

27 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Uhhh...while I like the job the D is doing these days, lets not be over joyous just yet.

When you look at the O, it ain't so 'young'...at least those that are actually being used.

It says a lot that when at the last minute when you trade for a Kearse, and pick up a Kerley off off waivers, they garner the boatload of offensive targets from your 38 yo QB.  And it took an injury to the 34 yo RB to make the Jets use the younger RB options.  I don't see much development of 'young' guys on O.

If the Jets were 2-2 with Petty or Hack, I'd be ecstatic...but with a good running game (lately with the younger guys) and D combined with McCown, Kerley and Forte on O?  To me, that's partial progress at best, and while we may win 6 games with this dink and dunk BS from McCown, we ain't winning sh*t against the better teams.

If Stewart were playing the Kerley role, Hansen had maybe a catch or two, and Petty or Hack were playing the McCown role...that would be some serious progress.

Have you seen the offensive line? Pretty young.

I believe the plan was to give them time to settle in with veterans around them as much as possible. Forte was never a long term plan, same for McCown. And the plan seems the be working, the line looks great.

People were killing these kids and they have had to injuries (Winters and Shell), yet both times the backups did great. Very exciting.

On the one hand I want to see the kids play more at wideout. On the other hand I think of Stephen Hill and I am glad we have a culture where people aren't handed things because of draft position.

Anderson earned his starting spot. And Kearse looks really solid. I do agree and hope, over time Kerley is phased out more and more in favor of Stewart. But right not Kerley is getting the job done in his limited role.

On 10/2/2017 at 4:38 AM, Embrace the Suck said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Jets have started winning - and right now, they are winning despite having McCown at QB.

McCown did his best to lose that game for us vs the Jags - and the team still managed to pull out a W.

My point being, I'll feel ALOT better about this team going forward when Bryce Petty takes over as the starting QB.

The time is now to let Petty play-out the season - with something to actually play for.

Lets see what he can do the rest of the way.

I just hope Todd Bowles has the sack to pull the trigger.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well I have been saying for a long time I hope they develop one of the kids on the roster. I think Petty is a great story but he is so brittle. I haven't written Hack off like most have but I would admit he is a long shot.

So if neither of those guys pan out it will be more of an indictment of Macc rather than the coaches. Unless of course either of them go on somewhere else and play (doubtful).

It really is a non-issue though because Macc is building young talent on this roster and the team is responding to Bowles and company. So I have always believed that Macc and Bowles will both be back next year, with a new QB most likely.

I'd agree if Macc made personnel decisions without Bowles' input but they scouted players and worked the draft board together. Bowles has his fingerprints on all areas.

You blame the office manager whose expertise is stats, metrics, and money management.

I blame the field general whose expertise is football, teaching fundamentals, and making the entire machine work with players he helped select.

18 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Jets have started winning - and right now, they are winning in spite of having McCown at QB.

McCown did his best to lose that game for us vs the Jags - and the team still managed to pull out a W.

My point being, I'll feel ALOT better about this team going forward when Bryce Petty takes over as the starting QB.

The time is now to let Petty play-out the season - with something to actually play for.

Lets see what he can do the rest of the way.

I just hope Todd Bowles has the sack to pull the trigger.

I agree. I think right now they are trying to set up the younger guys to come into a functional/good situation, as opposed to last year when they brought in Petty only after everything went to sh*t. Right now the oline is coming together and the wrs are getting their routes down. Once the younger guys start at qb they'll be much better off.

On 10/1/2017 at 5:33 PM, JetsRay said:

Pathetic!!!  Bowles and the job he has done with this young team has completely destroyed the sojf hater brigade!

Let's not jerk each other off just yet. Two games in a row is a good start. It needs to continue before it has any chance of breaking a bled out green sojf. Don't forget when people saw one game against buff and proclaimed fitz was the guy, that sh*t didn't last long. 

I'm shocked at Bowles' progression as a head coach. So far, THIS is the guy that was touted by the league when he was hired. 

- He's been making ADJUSTMENTS (what?!) in game.

- More AGGRESSIVE (what?!) throwing the ball downfield, fake field goal. Although he still punted in Buffalo and I was convinced right then and there he should and would be gone by year's end.

- Most shocking...one of the hallmarks of being a good coach is finding and developing a good coaching staff. This, I was convinced he had zero capacity to do. It staryed with Bobby Aprile, and avalanched after last year with the coaching staff firings.

John Morton (who?!) I was as confident as can be, was going to be as useless as possible and only took the job because no one else would ever hire him as an OC and no one else wanted that job under Bowles with the Jets. Jeremy Bates as QB coach getting the most out of McCown, making Petty look polished, and at least fixing Hackenberg's mechanics.

Steve Marshall, Dennard Wilson, Kevin Greene, Robert Nunn, Stump Mitchell each have their units playing better this season.

Bowles lost the locker room last year and I thought ok this guy can't keep a team together. Now, this team looks like a tight knit group of hardworking, unselfish players.

Major kudos to Bowles and to Mac for working with Bowles to get the kind of players he wants to build his team. I hope they keep proving me wrong.

There is no way in hell that Bowles called a fake field goal on 4th and 21. 

That was a set play by Edwards when he saw no coverage on the gunner. 

If the offense had gotten on the field, spiked the ball then took a shot in the end zone stopping the clock, then I would give Bowles credit for that.

That didn't happen. They tried to get the field goal team out there with the clock running down. The delay was Edwards fault but he probably thought the offense would be out there. 

This led to the spike in overtime because Bowles didn't want the same thing to happen again. The difference there was this time it was the wrong move because we didn't need a shot in the end zone, and we didn't want to leave any time on the clock. 

Archived