Game Observations (JAX)

KRL

The best way to describe the win over JAX is an ugly, entertaining rollercoaster
ride.  The Jet OLine was the major factor in this physical, "phone booth" game
let's take a look:

- A scrappy, fiesty and resilient effort because there were plenty of opportunities
to hang their heads.  Is this team developing an identity?

- Have we seen the last of Matt Forte?  With the dynamic performances of Bilal
Powell and Elijah McGuire can the coaching staff really take reps away from them
and give them to a 31 year old RB?  What a pleasure to have RB's that are always
a threat to break off 50+ yard runs.

- Excellent game by the entire OLine as they dominated the JAX front and generated
over 200 yards on the ground.  Don't let the sack stats fool you, at least 2-3 of
those were because Josh McCown held the ball too long.  And don't forget Brent
Qvale was subbing for Brandon Shell, credit to Steve Marshall (OLine coach) for
having the backups ready to play.

- David Bass with another excellent game as he continued to bring edge pressure.
He had a sack a TFL and did a good job setting the edge in the run game.  Lorenzo
Mauldin needs to take note as he recovers on IR.

- Kony Ealy with a huge impact game as he had 4 pass blocks and an INT that set up 
a FG.

- Leonard Williams with a nice game clogging up the run lanes and breaking down
JAX OLine schemes multiple times.

- Josh McCown ended up with good "game manager" stats but he has to show better
decision making.  He held the ball too long on a number of occasions which led to
sacks.  And to me the scoop & score that made it 20-17 was his fault because
he rushed the pass to Powell.  After the 40+ yard bomb to Robby Anderson there was 
no need to rush the next play.  Be conservative and run the clock there was no
way Blake Bortles was going to generate two scores in the 4th quarter.

- Lachlan Edwards with a rollercoaster ride of a game.  The lows were the short
punt in OT that put JAX on the edge of FG range.  And not being aware at the end
of the first half that he needed to be on the field for the FG attempt which
led to a delay of game penalty.  Edwards was celebrating one of his highs, the
fake punt pass as the clock was ticking down.  The other high was the 70 yard
punt which pinned JAX back inside the 5 yard line.

- Props to Chandler Catanzaro for the game winning FG but you can't miss
the kick at the end of the first half.

- Good follow up game by Demario Davis as he continued to be physical and laid
some serious licks on Chris Ivory & Leonard Fournette. 

- The self-inflicted wounds have to be eliminated because this team isn't good
enough to overcome them on a regular basis.  Penalties in FG range, holding the
ball too long for sacks and not being aware that you're needed on the field can't
happen.

- Robby Anderson was relatively quiet because of the excellent play by AJ Bouye &
Jalen Ramsey.  But his speed is ridiculous because on the 40 yard bomb he
torched Bouye with a simple stutter move.

- Blake Bortles stinks and his coaching staff knows it.  They play around him hoping
he doesn't screw up the game.

- The Jets should send Marquise Lee a game ball as he had a huge drop in OT.  And
he then mishandled Edwards punt which put them inside the 10 yard line.     

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Powell and Elijah McGuire can the coaching staff really take reps away from them
and give them to a 31 year old RB?  What a pleasure to have RB's that are always

Yes if we cant trade him cut him. 

I saw someone on twitter mention trading Powell before the deadline. Since he'll be 29, and would probably get a lot more then Forte would at this point. Which are good points, especially with teams like Vikings and Green Bay may be looking for a new RB. 

Great summary as always KRL.  This game had me on the edge of my seat drinking with a lot of agita.  We're seeing why McCown has been on so many teams and is 2-20 in his last 22 and also we he still has a job in this league.  Good game manager and with a much better arm then Fitz. 

Leo gets credit as he was all over the place, maybe not stats but penetration taking up blockers.    Penalties really need to be cleaned up.  Really like McQuire.  With Bass, Adams, Maye Jenkins, Tiny Linebacker(when he is not pancaked), so much speed on D. 

Question, has Burris lost his starting role permanently? Has anyone seen Mo? 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

I saw someone on twitter mention trading Powell before the deadline. Since he'll be 29, and would probably get a lot more then Forte would at this point. Which are good points, especially with teams like Vikings and Green Bay may be looking for a new RB. 

No way in hell Powell is our #1 RB 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell Powell is our #1 RB 

I don't think it's a terrible idea. If the Jets really want to build toward the future. They have Powell lite with McGuire. Get an extra pick now to put use towards the future when they'll actually try to compete. 

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

The best way to describe the win over JAX is an ugly, entertaining rollercoaster
ride.  The Jet OLine was the major factor in this physical, "phone booth" game
let's take a look:

- A scrappy, fiesty and resilient effort because there were plenty of opportunities
to hang their heads.  Is this team developing an identity?

- Excellent game by the entire OLine as they dominated the JAX front and generated
over 200 yards on the ground.  Don't let the sack stats fool you, at least 2-3 of
those were because Josh McCown held the ball too long.  And don't forget Brent
Qvale was subbing for Brandon Shell, credit to Steve Marshall (OLine coach) for
having the backups ready to play.

- David Bass with another excellent game as he continued to bring edge pressure.
He had a sack a TFL and did a good job setting the edge in the run game.  Lorenzo
Mauldin needs to take note as he recovers on IR.

- Kony Ealy with a huge impact game as he had 4 pass blocks and an INT that set up 
a FG.

- Leonard Williams with a nice game clogging up the run lanes and breaking down
JAX OLine schemes multiple times.

decision making.  He held the ball too long on a number of occasions which led to
he rushed the pass to Powell.  After the 40+ yard bomb to Robby Anderson there was 

- Lachlan Edwards with a rollercoaster ride of a game.  The lows were the short
punt in OT that put JAX on the edge of FG range.  And not being aware at the end
of the first half that he needed to be on the field for the FG attempt which
led to a delay of game penalty.  Edwards was celebrating one of his highs, the
fake punt pass as the clock was ticking down.  The other high was the 70 yard
punt which pinned JAX back inside the 5 yard line.

- Props to Chandler Catanzaro for the game winning FG but you can't miss
the kick at the end of the first half.

- Good follow up game by Demario Davis as he continued to be physical and laid
some serious licks on Chris Ivory & Leonard Fournette. 

- The self-inflicted wounds have to be eliminated because this team isn't good
enough to overcome them on a regular basis.  Penalties in FG range, holding the
ball too long for sacks and not being aware that you're needed on the field can't
happen.

- Robby Anderson was relatively quiet because of the excellent play by AJ Bouye &
Jalen Ramsey.  But his speed is ridiculous because on the 40 yard bomb he
torched Bouye with a simple stutter move.

- Blake Bortles stinks and his coaching staff knows it.  They play around him hoping
he doesn't screw up the game.

- The Jets should send Marquise Lee a game ball as he had a huge drop in OT.  And
he then mishandled Edwards punt which put them inside the 10 yard line.     

wouldn't exactly say the jet oline dominated.  they opened the holes that go the backs two long runs but for the most part the run game was so-so.  as for pass protection, mccown was being pressured and couldn't hold onto the ball more than 2 or 3 seconds.  they played better than expected and won the game.

true enough about forte.  his loss doesn't mean so much because powell is a good pass receiver and asj is looking pretty good at te.  forte's prowess as a pass receiver is less in demand. they put bouye on anderson which means he's starting to get some attention. if they can get the deep ball timing down he'll be a great deep threat. the jet offense is still pretty mediocre.

the best thing is the team was ready to play and overcame an early deficit plus mccown's botched lateral, cantanzaro's fg miss, and mcown's interception.

14 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I was wondering the same thing too. 

Honestly they should all be trade bait outside of a handful of players on the roster. They should be able to move a veteran or two I would imagine. 

That was the Jets 4th game.  I still haven't watched them play.  I was wrong about them having the worst roster. They must be somewhat better than I thought.  Still, they beat Miami who just got essentially shutout for the 2nd week in a row... by the Saints defense.

Find a franchise QB... or dont waste my time.

34 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If Forte wasn't hurt I'd be talking to GB right now...what, have they got like 1 RB left?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

If this is all the Jets ask or expect of McCown, there is literally no reason not to start Petty at this point.  80%+ of passes are within 10 yrs of the LOS, being thrown to 2 veteran WR's to boot (BTW, where the f*ck are Stewart and Hansen these days?).

McCown ain't doing anything special back there, and he's stealing reps from two younger QB's.

36 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Leonard Williams, Demario Davis, kony ealy and Jamal Adams make our degfense fairly legit

Never thought I would see that. But he's been playing out of his mind these last two weeks. And just for shipping Pryor out the door, who I don't think is even playing at all? 

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

That was the Jets 4th game.  I still haven't watched them play.  I was wrong about them having the worst roster. They must be somewhat better than I thought.  Still, they beat Miami who just got essentially shutout for the 2nd weak in a row... by the Saints defense.

LOL.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

That was the Jets 4th game.  I still haven't watched them play.  I was wrong about them having the worst roster. They must be somewhat better than I thought.  Still, they beat Miami who just got essentially shutout for the 2nd weak in a row... by the Saints defense.

Hmmmmm IMO it isn't the roster.

For example McCown isn't all of a sudden Fran Trakenton; the fact is the Jets are a bolder and better coached team and it shows and some folks can't handle it.

43 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Never thought I would see that. But he's been playing out of his mind these last two weeks. And just for shipping Pryor out the door, who I don't think is even playing at all? 

Somehow I think it is the coaching......

That is what you have to assume when guys who have never played at a certain level start playing at that level as a group. 

Think even Lee made plays today.....

13 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

That is what you have to assume when guys who have never played at a certain level start playing at that level as a group. 

Somehow, I think it's because Miami and Jacksonville are sh*ttier teams than Buffalo and Oakland.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm IMO it isn't the roster.

For example McCown isn't all of a sudden Fran Trakenton; the fact is the Jets are a bolder and better coached team and it shows and some folks can't handle it.

I'll give you that within reason as we haven't exactly played any world beaters as of yet...and for the defense mostly.

McCown is doing nothing for us throwing 5 yd routes to Kearse and Kerley, or dumping it off to a RB.  Was that our 'plan' for developing an offense this year?  Get a couple of veteran possession receivers to let our 38 yo retread QB to throw to?  On a good team, Kearse is nothing more than a reliable #3 and Kerley maybe a #4/5 WR and someone that can fair catch a punt reliably.  I like what they're doing with ASJ, but I never see Stewart or Hansen sniff the field, and Robby Anderson isn't a great fit for a WCO that takes limited shots downfield.  It took an injury to Forte to have him not get the majority reps in a game.

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Interestingly, the announcers were talking about how Bowles stepped away from running the defense this year to focus on being more of a complete head coach. For two years fans have been attacking Kacy Rogers, but maybe he just needed Bowles to leave him alone. This is two bad teams they've beaten, but it's still been nice to see. 

Can we please stop the "updated narrative" that MIA & JAX stink now that we beat them.
From what I've been hearing all offseason the Jets had the worst roster in the league
and would be lucky to win a game.  They're 2-2 with another winnable game against CLE
coming up.  That doesn't mean they're going to the playoffs but this is a young team
trending in the right direction.  And don't tell me the fanbase wouldn't be excited
in two weeks if the team is 3-2 with NE coming into MetLife 

Archived