Good news for the tank crowd

AFJF

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Great QBs are taken outside of 1 and 2.

Sign Cousins and draft one.

Again, I'm not disagreeing.  You just said we better trade the farm for the top pick and I'm explaining to you why that is still a pretty big long shot and, overall, a unrealistic dream.

As far as Cousins goes, we're probably looking at a solid 3-4 years away from being competitive because of the talent deficiencies on this roster.  That means that, at best, he'll likely be 33-34 when we're finally re-tooled and ready to go be a contender. You wanna give a 30 year old QB 200 million dollars, only for him to be a washed up corpse when we're ready to compete?  I don't.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

How about just general happiness that your team won a game. Real fans are happy when their team wins games in the first quarter of a season.

You're right. #RealFans are satisfied and at peace with drafting Vernon Gholston over Matt Ryan in 2008 because they got to celebrate a siiiiiick win over the Kansas City Chiefs at the end of the 07-08 season.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Again, I'm not disagreeing.  You just said we better trade the farm for the top pick and I'm explaining to you why that is still a pretty big long shot and, overall, a unrealistic dream.

As far as Cousins goes, we're probably looking at a solid 3-4 years away from being competitive because of the talent deficiencies on this roster.  That means that, at best, he'll likely be 33-34 when we're finally re-tooled and ready to go be a contender. You wanna give a 30 year old QB 200 million dollars, only for him to be a washed up corpse when we're ready to compete?  I don't.

I still think the 9ers take the proven Cousins over a crapshoot draft pick.

This team, like many others, would be exponentially better with a QB.  They just gave up two TDs in two weeks and we’ve seen what the receivers, RBs and TE can do when the ball is on target. 

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

3 to 4 more years? Absolutely ridiculous! 

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You're right. #RealFans are satisfied and at peace with drafting Vernon Gholston over Matt Ryan in 2008 because they got to celebrate a siiiiiick win over the Kansas City Chiefs at the end of the 07-08 season.

Hoping your team losses a game towards the end of the season is completely different than rooting for your team to lose in September and early October.

And yeah that example was an awful pick by the Jets. But they just as easily could have drafted a really good player with that pick as well. You're looking at a worst case scenario situation where the Jets fall a couple slots back and then go on to pick an awful player. They won a meaningless game last year and were still able to get what looks like a really good player in Adams...

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

GMs miss.  Before Flacco and Brady, Ozzy Newsome and BB had done nothing to make you believe they should be allowed to draft another QB.

Huh?  BB inherited Bledsoe.  And Newsome Testaverde and he drafted Boller in the first plus had McNair before Flacco.

Just now, JiF said:

Huh?  BB inherited Bledsoe.  And Newsome Testaverde and he drafted Boller in the first plus had McNair before Flacco.

BB was a head coach with the Browns before he took over in New England and he loved Todd Philcox.

Newsome didn't draft Vinny, and even if he had, would anyone care?  He was one of the biggest busts in NFL history despite having a nice two or three year run at the end of his career.

Newsome didn't draft McNair.

Newsome did draft Boller, in the first round of the NFL draft after he completed 48% of his passes in college, and shockingly, he sucked.

38 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Great QBs are taken outside of 1 and 2.

Sign Cousins and draft one.

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I still think the 9ers take the proven Cousins over a crapshoot draft pick.

We should sign Cousins, who is also signing with the 49ers

In projecting the rest of the season, I have the Jets at 5 wins (Cle, Mia & LAC).

That would put us behind Cle, SF, Ind, LAC, Mia, Balt, Cin, and possibly Jax, Chi, & NYG.

Of those teams, Cle, SF, LAC, Mia, Jax could all go QB.  That doesn't leave a ton of options.  Either spend a ton of draft capital to move up for the 4th or 5 th rated QB, take Mayfield or Jackson (because these guys might not. E the prototypical QB and others pass) or just go with the short term crap we have now.

I feel that 2017 and 2018 are going to wind up like 2015/2016.  No playoffs, no QB.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All wins are bad in a tank season.  We're not catching up with the 0-4 Giants anytime soon.  

There's no such thing as a win-win.  Either you're in the "let's win 6 games and have some fun!" camp or you're in the "# 1 pick or bust" camp.

In no universe does getting the 6th pick mean good news for this franchise.  

Catch up to Giants?  Dude that team does the dead in the water thing every year then go's on a 8-9 game winning street then beat Pats in Superbowl.

people predicted the Jets would lose every game

they are 2-2. 

now the OP predicting they won't win another game after their 3rd. 

are you using the same information that led you to believe they would lose every game? 

Maybe this team isn't so bad 

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

In a year that the Jets SHOULD be tanking, they are about to be 3-2 after beating the hapless Browns next week.  There is no way that any Jets fan can be happy about this.  Yes, their schedule gets much tougher as the season moves along, and there aren't too many more wins on the schedule after next week, but watching the team win meaningless games against garbage teams which further diminishes their chances of getting a top 2 pick in 2018 gives me no joy whatsoever.  Beat the Pats.  Beat the Chiefs. Beat the Broncos.  That will impress me.    

So, if the Jets rolled into the Pats game at 0-5 and won you'd be impressed? 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

Back to reality the top teams are taking qb it doesn't matter what the current qb situation is colts taking qb even with luck , brown and 49ers could sign qbs and still will take qb in draft , those teams will solve the qb position no matter what it takes just like the bears , they signed a guy and drafted plan a didn't work so the rookie is in , all those teams are doing the same thing , I would let Mac sign a guy for 30-40 mil and draft one also just to secure the position finally, but these fans want to see wins and then we'll draft another defense guy and keep losing damn idiots are the fans that wanna see wins.rosen is a pipe dream after 3 

47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Catch up to Giants?  Dude that team does the dead in the water thing every year then go's on a 8-9 game winning street then beat Pats in Superbowl.

Maybe.  I just don't remember them ever starting THIS badly.  That Bucs team they lost to this week is not at all a good team.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I've always been a a believer that you don't lose games for draft position.  Even the meaningless games.  And I do believe young players need to learn how to win.  I think it takes experience to know how to close games.

And how has that worked out for us, exactly?

How many times do we need to be bad, yet finish outside of the top 5 pick range, then rinse and recycle, before you finally admit that this is a bad way for a franchise to go?

The last time we finished in Top 5 pick range, we got D'Brickashaw Ferguson, a franchise LT for a decade.  So there's definitely evidence to suggest that even a terrible franchise like us can stumble into a great player if we tank properly.  

I am happy when the Jets win but I am firmly in the I am fine with a total tanking as well.

We have seen the drafting 5 or 6 thing often before, we have seen the meaningless wins costing us draft spots before.

The team has cycled through brief success and then suckage for years, we are on a treadmill.

The coach imo is lousy, he is not a super bowl winning coach and neither are some of his staff, every little win means he will be here longer.

It is NOT easy to just trade up a few spots to get the qb we may covet, it costs a lot of draft capital, capital that needs to be used on other parts of the team.

I like it when the Jets win but I, d be just as happy being deadlast this year.  We get our choice of the qb we want and we keep all of our other picks.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how has that worked out for us, exactly?

How many times do we need to be bad, yet finish outside of the top 5 pick range, then rinse and recycle, before you finally admit that this is a bad way for a franchise to go?

The last time we finished in Top 5 pick range, we got D'Brickashaw Ferguson, a franchise LT for a decade.  So there's definitely evidence to suggest that even a terrible franchise like us can stumble into a great player if we tank properly.  

there's enough qbs coming into the nfl beyond the top 3 picks who are playing well, like watson and prescott.  wherever the jets are picking there will be qbs to draft, whether it's mason rudolph, lamar jackson or someone else.  the 49ers and browns were always going to suck worse than the jets this year anyway, so the jets were starting off with at 'best' the 3rd pick.

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, if the Jets rolled into the Pats game at 0-5 and won you'd be impressed? 

No.....the point is that some folks around here are getting downright giddy that the Jets beat up on a couple of bottom feeder teams, and when this happens early in the season and inflates the team's record, it creates a false sense of status and level of the team for some.  The Jets are not good. They have holes all over the place, but their record says otherwise now.  At the end of the year, if they have 4 wins and the teams they beat are all bottom feeders, there will be nothing positive to extract from those wins at all.  I just hope that they don't win too many more games like this to take them out of the running of a top 2 pick in 2018.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

No.....the point is that some folks around here are getting downright giddy that the Jets beat up on a couple of bottom feeder teams, and when this happens early in the season and inflates the team's record, it creates a false sense of status and level of the team for some.  The Jets are not good. They have holes all over the place, but their record says otherwise now.  At the end of the year, if they have 4 wins and the teams they beat are all bottom feeders, there will be nothing positive to extract from those wins at all.  I just hope that they don't win too many more games like this to take them out of the running of a top 2 pick in 2018.

i think the thing is, the jets are much closer to the middle of the pack than they have been portrayed.  there are a good many teams in the league who suck just as bad, which is making the jets look better by comparison.  

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

Well that's a relief...

Feel free to add the Dolphins and Giants to the potential list.  The 49ers are no guarantee to sign Kirk.

Oh, and "EASILY" move up?  Yeah...  not sure easy is the right word.

It is not just what the Jets do either. We could win a handful of games, and still end up with a top 3 or 4 pick. For that to happen, the other 'least talented' teams in the NFL need to win here and there as well. So far that is not happening as much as we'd like. Teams like the Colts, Chargers and Bengals are losing close games which is not helping our draft position. 

The 49ers are 0-4, but have lost their last three games to Seattle, LAR and Arizona by a combined 8 points. They could easily be 2-2 or even 3-1. The 49ers are just as competitive as the Jets are in 2017, but if the season ended now, they'd have a top five draft pick and we wouldn't. 

Root for the Jets each Sunday, but root for underdog wins in other game as well. 

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there's enough qbs coming into the nfl beyond the top 3 picks who are playing well, like watson and prescott.  wherever the jets are picking there will be qbs to draft, whether it's mason rudolph, lamar jackson or someone else.  the 49ers and browns were always going to suck worse than the jets this year anyway, so the jets were starting off with at 'best' the 3rd pick.

Fine.  Then trade your top pick for a boatload of other picks, and get your franchise QB somewhere else in the draft.

If you're not a contender, there's literally no downside to having a top 3 pick.  

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Well that's a relief...

Feel free to add the Dolphins and Giants to the potential list.  The 49ers are no guarantee to sign Kirk.

Oh, and "EASILY" move up?  Yeah...  not sure easy is the right word.

Good, then the Jets should sign him.

Archived