AFJF

Good news for the tank crowd

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

Back to reality the top teams are taking qb it doesn't matter what the current qb situation is colts taking qb even with luck , brown and 49ers could sign qbs and still will take qb in draft , those teams will solve the qb position no matter what it takes just like the bears , they signed a guy and drafted plan a didn't work so the rookie is in , all those teams are doing the same thing , I would let Mac sign a guy for 30-40 mil and draft one also just to secure the position finally, but these fans want to see wins and then we'll draft another defense guy and keep losing damn idiots are the fans that wanna see wins.rosen is a pipe dream after 3 

47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Catch up to Giants?  Dude that team does the dead in the water thing every year then go's on a 8-9 game winning street then beat Pats in Superbowl.

Maybe.  I just don't remember them ever starting THIS badly.  That Bucs team they lost to this week is not at all a good team.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I've always been a a believer that you don't lose games for draft position.  Even the meaningless games.  And I do believe young players need to learn how to win.  I think it takes experience to know how to close games.

And how has that worked out for us, exactly?

How many times do we need to be bad, yet finish outside of the top 5 pick range, then rinse and recycle, before you finally admit that this is a bad way for a franchise to go?

The last time we finished in Top 5 pick range, we got D'Brickashaw Ferguson, a franchise LT for a decade.  So there's definitely evidence to suggest that even a terrible franchise like us can stumble into a great player if we tank properly.  

I am happy when the Jets win but I am firmly in the I am fine with a total tanking as well.

We have seen the drafting 5 or 6 thing often before, we have seen the meaningless wins costing us draft spots before.

The team has cycled through brief success and then suckage for years, we are on a treadmill.

The coach imo is lousy, he is not a super bowl winning coach and neither are some of his staff, every little win means he will be here longer.

It is NOT easy to just trade up a few spots to get the qb we may covet, it costs a lot of draft capital, capital that needs to be used on other parts of the team.

I like it when the Jets win but I, d be just as happy being deadlast this year.  We get our choice of the qb we want and we keep all of our other picks.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how has that worked out for us, exactly?

How many times do we need to be bad, yet finish outside of the top 5 pick range, then rinse and recycle, before you finally admit that this is a bad way for a franchise to go?

The last time we finished in Top 5 pick range, we got D'Brickashaw Ferguson, a franchise LT for a decade.  So there's definitely evidence to suggest that even a terrible franchise like us can stumble into a great player if we tank properly.  

there's enough qbs coming into the nfl beyond the top 3 picks who are playing well, like watson and prescott.  wherever the jets are picking there will be qbs to draft, whether it's mason rudolph, lamar jackson or someone else.  the 49ers and browns were always going to suck worse than the jets this year anyway, so the jets were starting off with at 'best' the 3rd pick.

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, if the Jets rolled into the Pats game at 0-5 and won you'd be impressed? 

No.....the point is that some folks around here are getting downright giddy that the Jets beat up on a couple of bottom feeder teams, and when this happens early in the season and inflates the team's record, it creates a false sense of status and level of the team for some.  The Jets are not good. They have holes all over the place, but their record says otherwise now.  At the end of the year, if they have 4 wins and the teams they beat are all bottom feeders, there will be nothing positive to extract from those wins at all.  I just hope that they don't win too many more games like this to take them out of the running of a top 2 pick in 2018.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

No.....the point is that some folks around here are getting downright giddy that the Jets beat up on a couple of bottom feeder teams, and when this happens early in the season and inflates the team's record, it creates a false sense of status and level of the team for some.  The Jets are not good. They have holes all over the place, but their record says otherwise now.  At the end of the year, if they have 4 wins and the teams they beat are all bottom feeders, there will be nothing positive to extract from those wins at all.  I just hope that they don't win too many more games like this to take them out of the running of a top 2 pick in 2018.

i think the thing is, the jets are much closer to the middle of the pack than they have been portrayed.  there are a good many teams in the league who suck just as bad, which is making the jets look better by comparison.  

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

Well that's a relief...

Feel free to add the Dolphins and Giants to the potential list.  The 49ers are no guarantee to sign Kirk.

Oh, and "EASILY" move up?  Yeah...  not sure easy is the right word.

Just now, RoadFan said:

Well that's a relief...

Feel free to add the Dolphins and Giants to the potential list.  The 49ers are no guarantee to sign Kirk.

Ricky Williams trade

It is not just what the Jets do either. We could win a handful of games, and still end up with a top 3 or 4 pick. For that to happen, the other 'least talented' teams in the NFL need to win here and there as well. So far that is not happening as much as we'd like. Teams like the Colts, Chargers and Bengals are losing close games which is not helping our draft position. 

The 49ers are 0-4, but have lost their last three games to Seattle, LAR and Arizona by a combined 8 points. They could easily be 2-2 or even 3-1. The 49ers are just as competitive as the Jets are in 2017, but if the season ended now, they'd have a top five draft pick and we wouldn't. 

Root for the Jets each Sunday, but root for underdog wins in other game as well. 

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there's enough qbs coming into the nfl beyond the top 3 picks who are playing well, like watson and prescott.  wherever the jets are picking there will be qbs to draft, whether it's mason rudolph, lamar jackson or someone else.  the 49ers and browns were always going to suck worse than the jets this year anyway, so the jets were starting off with at 'best' the 3rd pick.

Fine.  Then trade your top pick for a boatload of other picks, and get your franchise QB somewhere else in the draft.

If you're not a contender, there's literally no downside to having a top 3 pick.  

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Well that's a relief...

Good, then the Jets should sign him.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I could see Cleveland signing Cousins and then using their other picks to set him up. Niners I think are further down the line than Cleveland

Again, why in the world would they give a 30 year old QB a 200 million dollar contract when they can draft a top guy, who is cheaper than Kirk, and a better prospect than he was coming out.  On top of that, in this scenario Kirk Cousins actually made it to free agency and would have a choice in where he wants to go.

Does he pick the perennial dumpster fire known as the Cleveland Browns and their coaching staff who have shown zero competence whatsoever?  Or the team that his former offensive coordinator, someone he is still very close with, is now running? 

8 minutes ago, peebag said:

Does he play safety?

Is the safety joke still funny? I see it on every page on every thread. We have 4 active safeties on the roster. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

What's wrong with fans being happy about a Jet victory. I'm sure media, fans of the Dolphins and Jaguars saw the Jet game as a victory. Aren't the Jets the bottom feaders with the worst roster and coaching staff and management in the NFL?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am happy when the Jets win but I am firmly in the I am fine with a total tanking as well.

We have seen the drafting 5 or 6 thing often before, we have seen the meaningless wins costing us draft spots before.

The team has cycled through brief success and then suckage for years, we are on a treadmill.

The coach imo is lousy, he is not a super bowl winning coach and neither are some of his staff, every little win means he will be here longer.

It is NOT easy to just trade up a few spots to get the qb we may covet, it costs a lot of draft capital, capital that needs to be used on other parts of the team.

I like it when the Jets win but I, d be just as happy being deadlast this year.  We get our choice of the qb we want and we keep all of our other picks.

You feel Bowles and some of his staff is lousy but who do you consider a super bowl winning coach? Personally feel he's doing a good job at the quarter mark

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

What's wrong with fans being happy about a Jet victory. I'm sure media, fans of the Dolphins and Jaguars saw the Jet game as a victory. Aren't the Jets the bottom feaders with the worst roster and coaching staff and management in the NFL?

Because finishing 6-10 and drafting a defensive pick gets old

5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

You feel Bowles and some of his staff is lousy but who do you consider a super bowl winning coach? Personally feel he's doing a good job at the quarter mark

A coach who's starting a 38 YO QB, with a young team at this stage of team development, and has 2 young drafted QB's on his roster is not doing a good job IMO

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

A coach who's starting a 38 YO QB, with a young team at this stage of team development, and has 2 young drafted QB's on his roster is not doing a good job IMO

I agree and McCown hasn't been all that good that we shouldn't give Petty a shot at this point. 

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

I still think the 9ers take the proven Cousins over a crapshoot draft pick.

This team, like many others, would be exponentially better with a QB.  They just gave up two TDs in two weeks and we’ve seen what the receivers, RBs and TE can do when the ball is on target. 

Again, since we're playing hypotheticals and "I thinks", I think this Cousins talk is honestly nonsense because I don't think that he's leaving Washington.  I think all of those rumors that "Kirk has his eyes on SF" are negotiating ploys from his agent and that he'll ultimately get the deal he always wanted from Washington.  Teams never let QBs in their prime walk to other teams.  Ever. 

This is the most realistic approach we're gonna have to have as fans.  Be ready to go after Jimmy G if NE let's him walk or get used to the names Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning, etc, because those are the guys who will likely be available to us.  If Darnold doesn't declare, then don't even think about Falk.

Forget Sam and Josh.  Those two are long gone as possibilities.  Barring absolute miracle wins by the Browns or 49ers, they are pipedreams at this point.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Because finishing 6-10 and drafting a defensive pick gets old

It's cool if you root for losses and they draft offense. Not sure why other fans like me can't root for a victory. Was at the game yesterday and had a great time 

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Hoping your team losses a game towards the end of the season is completely different than rooting for your team to lose in September and early October.

And yeah that example was an awful pick by the Jets. But they just as easily could have drafted a really good player with that pick as well. You're looking at a worst case scenario situation where the Jets fall a couple slots back and then go on to pick an awful player. They won a meaningless game last year and were still able to get what looks like a really good player in Adams...

You're right! I should have known that because it's only October and the Jets could totally still go to the Super Bowl, especially now that they've showed dominance over the NFL powerhouses known as the Jaguars and Dolphins.  Besides, in November of 2014 we got to celebrate a siiiiiick win against the Steelers with the greybeard slinger Mikey Viiiiick (rhymes with siiiiiick, just like that win 😎😏) and even though we missed out on Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, at least good timez were had and we got another stud defensive player, right my fellow Jet fan brochacho?  

#RealFans4Lyfe

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

I see this argument a lot. Do you believe it would be best for the team to hand Petty and Hack the starting job or would it be better if they earn it. And for argument sakes if Petty or Hack is the better QB do you really believe Bowles and this staff is starting McCown because he's older? 

What if the whole team sees McCown as the better QB, you really think it's smart to start the 2nd best player at that position because we need to evaluate them? What does that tell a team full of young players? 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I agree and McCown hasn't been all that good that we shouldn't give Petty a shot at this point. 

Is it really the best time to start Petty after winning the last two? How could any coach make the change at this point?

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

I see this argument a lot. Do you believe it would be best for the team to hand Petty and Hack the starting job or would it be better if they earn it. And for argument sakes if Petty or Hack is the better QB do you really believe Bowles and this staff is starting McCown because he's older? 

What if the whole team sees McCown as the better QB, you really think it's smart to start the 2nd best player at that position because we need to evaluate them? What does that tell a team full of young players? 

McCown is not anything spectacular by far, he is a game manager looking for big plays far and few, looking for a 300-400 yard passing game not happening. 

McCown almost single handily cost us the game yesterday we were lucky to win it. 

He's 38 years old there is no future in Josh McCown here. 

We need to see what we have in Petty and Hackenberg.