Good news for the tank crowd

AFJF

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I could see Cleveland signing Cousins and then using their other picks to set him up. Niners I think are further down the line than Cleveland

Again, why in the world would they give a 30 year old QB a 200 million dollar contract when they can draft a top guy, who is cheaper than Kirk, and a better prospect than he was coming out.  On top of that, in this scenario Kirk Cousins actually made it to free agency and would have a choice in where he wants to go.

Does he pick the perennial dumpster fire known as the Cleveland Browns and their coaching staff who have shown zero competence whatsoever?  Or the team that his former offensive coordinator, someone he is still very close with, is now running? 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

No.....the point is that some folks around here are getting downright giddy that the Jets beat up on a couple of bottom feeder teams, and when this happens early in the season and inflates the team's record, it creates a false sense of status and level of the team for some.  The Jets are not good. They have holes all over the place, but their record says otherwise now.  At the end of the year, if they have 4 wins and the teams they beat are all bottom feeders, there will be nothing positive to extract from those wins at all.  I just hope that they don't win too many more games like this to take them out of the running of a top 2 pick in 2018.

What's wrong with fans being happy about a Jet victory. I'm sure media, fans of the Dolphins and Jaguars saw the Jet game as a victory. Aren't the Jets the bottom feaders with the worst roster and coaching staff and management in the NFL?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am happy when the Jets win but I am firmly in the I am fine with a total tanking as well.

We have seen the drafting 5 or 6 thing often before, we have seen the meaningless wins costing us draft spots before.

The team has cycled through brief success and then suckage for years, we are on a treadmill.

The coach imo is lousy, he is not a super bowl winning coach and neither are some of his staff, every little win means he will be here longer.

It is NOT easy to just trade up a few spots to get the qb we may covet, it costs a lot of draft capital, capital that needs to be used on other parts of the team.

I like it when the Jets win but I, d be just as happy being deadlast this year.  We get our choice of the qb we want and we keep all of our other picks.

You feel Bowles and some of his staff is lousy but who do you consider a super bowl winning coach? Personally feel he's doing a good job at the quarter mark

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

What's wrong with fans being happy about a Jet victory. I'm sure media, fans of the Dolphins and Jaguars saw the Jet game as a victory. Aren't the Jets the bottom feaders with the worst roster and coaching staff and management in the NFL?

Because finishing 6-10 and drafting a defensive pick gets old

5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

You feel Bowles and some of his staff is lousy but who do you consider a super bowl winning coach? Personally feel he's doing a good job at the quarter mark

A coach who's starting a 38 YO QB, with a young team at this stage of team development, and has 2 young drafted QB's on his roster is not doing a good job IMO

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

A coach who's starting a 38 YO QB, with a young team at this stage of team development, and has 2 young drafted QB's on his roster is not doing a good job IMO

I agree and McCown hasn't been all that good that we shouldn't give Petty a shot at this point. 

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

I still think the 9ers take the proven Cousins over a crapshoot draft pick.

This team, like many others, would be exponentially better with a QB.  They just gave up two TDs in two weeks and we’ve seen what the receivers, RBs and TE can do when the ball is on target. 

Again, since we're playing hypotheticals and "I thinks", I think this Cousins talk is honestly nonsense because I don't think that he's leaving Washington.  I think all of those rumors that "Kirk has his eyes on SF" are negotiating ploys from his agent and that he'll ultimately get the deal he always wanted from Washington.  Teams never let QBs in their prime walk to other teams.  Ever. 

This is the most realistic approach we're gonna have to have as fans.  Be ready to go after Jimmy G if NE let's him walk or get used to the names Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning, etc, because those are the guys who will likely be available to us.  If Darnold doesn't declare, then don't even think about Falk.

Forget Sam and Josh.  Those two are long gone as possibilities.  Barring absolute miracle wins by the Browns or 49ers, they are pipedreams at this point.

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Hoping your team losses a game towards the end of the season is completely different than rooting for your team to lose in September and early October.

And yeah that example was an awful pick by the Jets. But they just as easily could have drafted a really good player with that pick as well. You're looking at a worst case scenario situation where the Jets fall a couple slots back and then go on to pick an awful player. They won a meaningless game last year and were still able to get what looks like a really good player in Adams...

You're right! I should have known that because it's only October and the Jets could totally still go to the Super Bowl, especially now that they've showed dominance over the NFL powerhouses known as the Jaguars and Dolphins.  Besides, in November of 2014 we got to celebrate a siiiiiick win against the Steelers with the greybeard slinger Mikey Viiiiick (rhymes with siiiiiick, just like that win ??) and even though we missed out on Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, at least good timez were had and we got another stud defensive player, right my fellow Jet fan brochacho?  

#RealFans4Lyfe

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

I see this argument a lot. Do you believe it would be best for the team to hand Petty and Hack the starting job or would it be better if they earn it. And for argument sakes if Petty or Hack is the better QB do you really believe Bowles and this staff is starting McCown because he's older? 

What if the whole team sees McCown as the better QB, you really think it's smart to start the 2nd best player at that position because we need to evaluate them? What does that tell a team full of young players? 

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

I see this argument a lot. Do you believe it would be best for the team to hand Petty and Hack the starting job or would it be better if they earn it. And for argument sakes if Petty or Hack is the better QB do you really believe Bowles and this staff is starting McCown because he's older? 

What if the whole team sees McCown as the better QB, you really think it's smart to start the 2nd best player at that position because we need to evaluate them? What does that tell a team full of young players? 

McCown is not anything spectacular by far, he is a game manager looking for big plays far and few, looking for a 300-400 yard passing game not happening. 

McCown almost single handily cost us the game yesterday we were lucky to win it. 

He's 38 years old there is no future in Josh McCown here. 

We need to see what we have in Petty and Hackenberg. 

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

We have Hack and probably the inside track on the McCown bidding war. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

McCown is not anything spectacular by far, he is a game manager looking for big plays far and few, looking for a 300-400 yard passing game not happening. 

McCown almost single handily cost us the game yesterday we were lucky to win it. 

He's 38 years old there is no future in Josh McCown here. 

We need to see what we have in Petty and Hackenberg. 

There's plenty of time for that once the team has given up and the schedule gets much tougher. 

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Again, since we're playing hypotheticals and "I thinks", I think this Cousins talk is honestly nonsense because I don't think that he's leaving Washington.  I think all of those rumors that "Kirk has his eyes on SF" are negotiating ploys from his agent and that he'll ultimately get the deal he always wanted from Washington.  Teams never let QBs in their prime walk to other teams.  Ever. 

This is the most realistic approach we're gonna have to have as fans.  Be ready to go after Jimmy G if NE let's him walk or get used to the names Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning, etc, because those are the guys who will likely be available to us.  If Darnold doesn't declare, then don't even think about Falk.

Forget Sam and Josh.  Those two are long gone as possibilities.  Barring absolute miracle wins by the Browns or 49ers, they are pipedreams at this point.

Welp, with recent rumors we can probably cross both of those names off.

At least we got those totally siiiiiick times at JETLIFE STADIUM BAYBEE.

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You're right! I should have known that because it's only October and the Jets could totally still go to the Super Bowl, especially now that they've showed dominance over the NFL powerhouses known as the Jaguars and Dolphins.  Besides, in November of 2014 we got to celebrate a siiiiiick win against the Steelers with the greybeard Mikey Viiiiick (rhymes with siiiiiick, just like that win ??) and even though we missed out on Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, at least good timez were had, right my fellow Jet brochacho?  

#RealFans4Lyfe

So how does this work? Is there a way for a team to win this game and lose that game? Don't players and coaches give their best effort and whatever happens happens. What is the argument. So it went from the Jets are the worst team with the worst talent, coaches, and management and we will get the first pick to now the Jets need to somehow purposely lose games? 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

There's plenty of time for that once the team has given up and the schedule gets much tougher. 

A rebuilding team doesn't start a 38 year old QB......maybe Macc and Bowles are in the win now mode, hoping they are both fired at seasons end. 

Just now, RESNewYork said:

So how does this work? Is there a way for a team to win this game and lose that game? Don't players and coaches give their best effort and whatever happens happens. What is the argument. So it went from the Jets are the worst team with the worst talent, coaches, and management and we will get the first pick to now the Jets need to somehow purposely lose games? 

Probably by not starting a 38 year old, never-was, QB because he "gives us the best chance to win right now" and rolling with the young kids who are probably worse, but still have a small chance of being worth a damn.  Worst case?  They suck as bad as we think they are and we lose... answering all questions we had about them and getting a high pick in the process.  Best case?  They actually look competent.

I don't know how many of us still pissed off have to explain it to you guys ranting about #realfans.  No one is pissed about the wins themselves.  They're pissed off because they're doing it with a 38 year old QB who has absolutely no future here because the head coach is a bumbling idiot.

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

This is terrible logic. Even in the slight chance the teams on top will be willing to trade down there will be huge competition from other desperate teams with more draft capital willing to trade up.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Probably by not starting a 38 year old, never-was, QB because he "gives us the best chance to win right now" and rolling with the young kids who are probably worse, but still have a small chance of being worth a damn.  Worst case?  They suck as bad as we think they are and we lose... answering all questions we had about them and getting a high pick in the process.  Best case?  They actually look competent.

I don't know how many of us still pissed off have to explain it to you guys ranting about #realfans.  No one is pissed about the wins themselves.  They're pissed off because they're doing it with a 38 year old QB who has absolutely no future here because the head coach is a bumbling idiot.

Never said you weren't a real fan. That's not me. But again, how do you tell a team, a young team, we are starting the second best QB because we're using this season to evaluate, not to win. 

for the record, my "crowd" is the super bitter fans who know the jets will beat the chargers on christmas eve in a meaningless game for both teams to fall to the 7th pick in the draft, outside elite QB, pass rusher and LT range

Alabama has a nice corner and nice ILB I hear

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Never said you weren't a real fan. That's not me. But again, how do you tell a team, a young team, we are starting the second best QB because we're using this season to evaluate, not to win. 

It's not the players jobs to worry about who is the starter and how good they may be.  It's their jobs to shut up and play football to the best of their abilities.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's not the players jobs to worry about who is the starter and how good they may be.  It's their jobs to shut up and play football to the best of their abilities.

Non stop complaints about how Bowles lost the locker room. So the solution is to not win, start the guy who is not as good, hand them the job because they are younger, don't worry about earning it. Is that really how they should build the team with that mantra. 

58 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

How do you earn it if you don't get a chance to play?  IMO Petty showed enough in pre-season  to be given a shot way over a 38 YO  QB.  There really is no point at all in marching McCown out there.  Everyone knows who he is.  A failed starter for 17 or so years, who remains in the NFL because he can  run a very limited ball control O.  He was 2-22 before starting for the Jets.

He really didn't get all that much work in pre-season.   Petty who was the very long shot seemed to out play the other two, which isn't saying much,  but yeah, on a young team he earned it.  If he sucked, the Jets would at least have an idea what they had going into 2018.

Starting McCown is stupid

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

How do you earn it if you don't get a chance to play?  IMO Petty showed enough in pre-season  to be given a shot way over a 38 YO  QB.  There really is no point at all in marching McCown out there.  Everyone knows who he is.  A failed starter for 17 or so years, who remains in the NFL because he can  run a very limited ball control O.  He was 2-22 before starting for the Jets.

He really didn't get all that much work in pre-season.   Petty who was the very long shot seemed to out play the other two, which is saying much,  but yeah, on a young team he earned it.  If he sucked, the Jets would at least have an idea what they had going into 2018.

Off season, pre season, practice. If he earned it wouldn't he be playing? Head coach on the hot seat, first time O coordinator with a lot to prove, and a QB coach who has a rep for developing QBs. They all decided let's start the McCown even though Petty is the better QB. Why? Well because he's older and we don't like youth even though most of our other starters are younger. 

Tanking is not real, it was created by the media. Players coaches don't lose on purpose ever.

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He really didn't get all that much work in pre-season.   Petty who was the very long shot seemed to out play the other two, which is saying much,  but yeah, on a young team he earned it.  If he sucked, the Jets would at least have an idea what they had going into 2018.

The Coaching Staff and FO was not told to tank for the future.  They were given limited resources, including McCown, and told to compete.  They are doing that.  McCown is playing pretty well and above expectations.  As much as Petty showed potential during the offseason, I don't think he outperforms McCown now.  

Based on the Jets' schedule, the time will come for Petty to start, if for no other reason that it costs $125K per game to start McCown.

Just now, RESNewYork said:

Off season, pre season, practice. If he earned it wouldn't he be playing? Head coach on the hot seat, first time O coordinator with a lot to prove, and a QB coach who has a rep for developing QBs. They all decided let's start the McCown even though Petty is the better QB. Why? Well because he's older and we don't like youth even though most of our other starters are younger. 

Tanking is not real, it was created by the media. Players coaches don't lose on purpose ever.

That's the point.  A good HC under these circumstances would have played him.  Bowels not being a good HC, and on the hot seat, was hoping that a vet QB who knows the O, could squeeze out a 6-10 season, and maybe save his job.

Same mistake he made when he announced Fitz the starter, while Fitz was a FA and throwing the contract negotiating into chaos.  Some people don't learn

8 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Non stop complaints about how Bowles lost the locker room. So the solution is to not win, start the guy who is not as good, hand them the job because they are younger, don't worry about earning it. Is that really how they should build the team with that mantra. 

Bowles lost the locker room because they had a bunch of immature dickheads that clashed with one another.  By all accounts, this group is not like that.  For all of Bowles faults (and there are a ton), his players like him and respect the hell out of him.  Even the problem children loved him, they just weren't smart enough to smart enough to realize that pulling the sh*t they pulled with one another was a slap in his face.  On top that, do you hear any of the Browns players b*tching about Hue starting Kizer right now?

Do you really think that some of our starters don't realize that they have their current starting jobs because they're cheaper, younger, and have more upside than guys who, while currently better than them, are older and more expensive?  

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Coaching Staff and FO was not told to tank for the future.  They were given limited resources, including McCown, and told to compete.  They are doing that.  McCown is playing pretty well and above expectations.  As much as Petty showed potential during the offseason, I don't think he outperforms McCown now.  

Based on the Jets' schedule, the time will come for Petty to start, if for no other reason that it costs $125K per game to start McCown.

You may be correct.  It's a very bad formula for a team that honestly has very ,very slim chances of making the playoffs this year, and every one knows McCown isn't the future.

7 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Our stupid f*cking beat reporters actually tallied the practice numbers.  Both Petty and even Hackenberg had stats similar or better than McCown.  One of those two had a great preseason.  That guy is, for some reason, on the f*cking bench.  McCown didn't earn the nod.  He was just bumblef*cks safest bet, god forbid he take an aggressive chance for once.

Archived