Good news for the tank crowd

AFJF

20 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Not true.  It absolutely takes two to tango.  Tennessee was not parting with that #2 pick.  They were sold on Mariota.  Mac offered at least #6 and Wilkerson and at least one other team offered more.  2017 was different, but I guess he couldn't top the Rams offer.  The point still remains, the only two QBs who he's tried trading up for are Mariota and Goff, which shows that he has some ability to identify a franchise QB.

Identifying and acquiring two different things. Lots of guys can identify good QBs. He has yet to acquire one in three seasons. I’m not giving him a fourth. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Not true.  It absolutely takes two to tango.  Tennessee was not parting with that #2 pick.  They were sold on Mariota.  Mac offered at least #6 and Wilkerson and at least one other team offered more.  2017 was different, but I guess he couldn't top the Rams offer.  The point still remains, the only two QBs who he's tried trading up for are Mariota and Goff, which shows that he has some ability to identify a franchise QB.

holy ******* hell

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If you believe that there is a franchise altering quarterback to be had to run the ship for the next 10-15 years, there isn’t a price too high, just balls too small. 

oh boy.  ultimately you still gotta be realistic.  luck is beat up because the dolts were unable to surround him with a good enough oline.  there are always limits to everything. but the other point is that people are always so focused on a qb's physical ability when it is really more mental.  just about every qb in the major college programs can make every throw.  it's making good decisions that make the really good ones stand out. and i might point out that jameis winston didn't exactly light things up last week against the patsies and he was a sure fire hit.  as a matter of fact his poor play (along with folks 3 misses) lost the game. but even so the guys he threw to were mostly the right guys.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Identifying and acquiring two different things. Lots of guys can identify good QBs. He has yet to acquire one in three seasons. I’m not giving him a fourth. 

whether you like it or not, the jury is still out on both petty and hack.  i know i've only seen part of what makes up either of these guys.  based on what i've seen, petty can make some good throws but holds onto the ball too long.  hack can make all the throws but too often goes short.  are they throwing to the right guy?  i can't answer that only the coaches know where the play is supposed to go.  if they have been throwing to the right guy, then either might be okay.  there have been tons of qb's who made it later in their careers.  plunkett, gannon, theisman, all had issues early on.  once they got into the right situation they prospered.

no doubt mac has made some errors but imo he is learning.  i don't think we'll be seeing him throw a 17million contract at a slug again. i also don't think his drafts have been that bad.

Archived