RIP Tom Petty

AFJF

Tom Petty dead at 66

October 2, 2017 | 4:08pm

Tom Petty died on Monday, one day after he was found in cardiac arrest at his home, CBS News confirmed.

The iconic singer, 66, was rushed to the hospital and placed on life support after he was found unconscious inside his Malibu home, TMZ first reported on Monday.

He was rushed to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital, where sources told the gossip site that he had no brain activity and a decision was later made to take him off life support.

Petty rose to fame with his band Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in the 1970s with hits like “American Girl” and “Free Fallin.'” The band recently completed a 40th anniversary tour. Their last performance was on Sept. 25 at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.

The three-time Grammy winner was born on Oct. 20, 1950 in Gainesville, Fla. Petty was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

A rep for Petty did not immediately return a request for comment.

I'm CRUSHED by this news. Loved his music and last saw him live in New Orleans in April of 2012. 

First time I saw him was in 2000 at Jones Beach 

Rest well good Sir and enjoy the eternal Last Dance with Mary Jane:

RIP Petty

39 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Sad, saw him at Forest Hills over the summer, was outstanding. RIP.

Part of the reason I think I'm taking it harder than I should. I LOVED his music and was debating whether to go to that concert in Queens. I passed up on $50 StubHub tix and reasoned I'd see him in the fall or next summer when he'd be back in NYC. And now he's dead.

Now I can never see him LIVE again. 

Don't take for granted the NOW. Don't put anything off for tomorrow that which you can accomplish today., because tomorrow is NOT guaranteed. :(

33 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

An update says he's still reportedly still clinging to life, but not expected to live. Very sad.

Now I really want Bryce to start, so that we can cheer on the name "Petty" every Sunday :)

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LAPD clarifies it cannot confirm Tom Petty's death

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was taken off life support.  That much has been confirmed. :(

He's DEAD. 

I've gone through 3 Post-Cardiac Arrest vegetable-state victims in the past 4 years that were found too late after the brain's damage has been done due to lack of oxygen. IF the brain is gone, the person is gone. It sucks but you have to accept it. Being kept alive on a respitrator WILL NEVER bring that person back as to who they ONCE were. :(

RIP Tom Petty. 

He is BLASTING full throttle and loud in every room in my house, using SONOS.  

Great songwriter, performer, what a unique distinguished sound. 

In a crowded world of rock he carved out a niche for great music.

Loved his music, respected him immensely.

Shame....   no one here gets out alive.  THIS is why I no longer work Fridays. 

I want to be remembered for something other than tax and investment work.

tomorrow friends .... it could be us.  Live Strong. Experiences are so much more powerful than 

material things.   

9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Part of the reason I think I'm taking it harder than I should. I LOVED his music and was debating whether to go to that concert in Queens. I passed up on $50 StubHub tix and reasoned I'd see him in the fall or next summer when he'd be back in NYC. And now he's dead.

Now I can never see him LIVE again. 

Don't take for granted the NOW. Don't put anything off for tomorrow that which you can accomplish today., because tomorrow is NOT guaranteed. :(

I remember going with my parents to a Boston concert when I was young. It was great and I loved it... until they started playing their old hits and everyone in the venue stood up and poor little me couldn't see anything. I was so upset about that. Then, my father offered to put me on his shoulders, and since I was around 12 or 13 at the time and obviously a mature young adult, I got offended at that suggestion because I was too old to sit on my father's shoulders. So, I decided to turn away from the stage and pout the rest of the concert because "maturity". A few years later Brad Delp committed suicide. I had a chance to enjoy him in concert and I blew it.

I totally feel for you.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He is BLASTING full throttle and loud in every room in my house, using SONOS.  

Great songwriter, performer, what a unique distinguished sound. 

In a crowded world of rock he carved out a niche for great music.

Loved his music, respected him immensely.

Shame....   no one here gets out alive.  THIS is why I no longer work Fridays. 

I want to be remembered for something other than tax and investment work.

tomorrow friends .... it could be us.  Live Strong. Experiences are so much more powerful than 

material things.   

Great post another reason I'm retiring at 55 

15 hours ago, peebag said:

...the Jets theme song...

Probably my favorite Petty tune.  Cant turn it off.

This one is another stinger for me...Bowie, Prince, Petty - not too many artists I've been so obsessed with over the years.  

Cruising Gainesville, listening to Petty...that was college, man.  Damn this one stings!

So one of my best friends from college, Dad was one of Tom's best friends and one of the drummers from Mudcrutch, Dicky Rucker.  When Tom finally went back to Gainesville after like 30 years or something since they kicked him out of school, we got back stages passes to the show.  Got to meet Tom and everything.  Suck a freaking humble and cool dude.  I was star struck and watching Dicky embrace Tom like long lost brothers was a really cool moment in my life.  

Legit, there are very few artists in the history of time that can write songs like Tom.  Ugh.  So sad.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

So one of my best friends from college, Dad was one of Tom's best friends and one of the drummers from Mudcrutch, Dicky Rucker.  When Tom finally went back to Gainesville after like 30 years or something since they kicked him out of school, we got back stages passes to the show.  Got to meet Tom and everything.  Suck a freaking humble and cool dude.  I was star struck and watching Dicky embrace Tom like long lost brothers was a really cool moment in my life.  

Legit, there are very few eristics in the history of time that can write songs like Tom.  Ugh.  So sad.

What a great story JiF, I just saw a cool picture of the Gainesville crew all hanging out us hippies used to back in the 70's. Perhaps your pop is in that shot, I'll try to find it.

13 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Me and Jif saw PJ here in Jax last year. Tom Petty played a role in one of the best moments of the show:

Very cool moment.  I immediately thought about this show when he passed.  Eddie loved him...I'm sure the tribute show will be something else! 

Archived