RIP Tom Petty

AFJF

Speaking of the Gators game, the coolest sh*t ever happened during the break of the 3rd quarter (much better than the result of the game).  For some reason I can't copy and paste but check the link below.  It literally sent chills down my spin.

So all throughout the game, the stadium DJ was trying to play Petty....the crowd would get into it and then @BroadwayJoe12 - the classy LSU band would start up and not sh*t try to tune the crowd out while we were giving homage to a man who just passed away that grew up in Gainesville.  And then, as we are singing our fight song during the 3rd quarter which is a tradition...the ******* band tried to drown us out again.  This is also the same team that led a fight song and chant while one of our players sat injured on the field.  Classy LSU.  Anywho, after the band drowns out our fight song, the DJ started blaring Petty "I won't back down"...the ******* band, once again tries to drown us out and then this happened:

We lost because we suck donkey dick but this was one of the coolest moments I've ever had a Gators game:

http://www.businessinsider.com/gators-fans-sing-tribute-to-tom-petty-2017-10

Here's a great video that captures everyone booing the LSU band after they drown out the fight song...you can hear the boo's...then the song, the another attempt to drown us out, and then it just gets louder and louder.  

Truly amazing.  Especially for a fanboy like me.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Here's a great video that captures everyone booing the LSU band after they drown out the fight song...you can hear the boo's...then the song, the another attempt to drown us out, and then it just gets louder and louder.  

Truly amazing.  Especially for a fanboy like me.

Fukkin' awesome.  Absolutely love that the crowd nailed the chorus in tune.  No easy achievement.  

I once read an article where the reporter was talking to one of the Ramones about "I Wanna Be Sedated".  He asked why that was such a big hit versus so many of their other songs. The response was that the Song Writing God stopped by their house on the way back from Bono's. For those of you who write or have written lyrics, music or prose you know EXACTLY what that means.

The Song Writing God lived in Mr. Petty's spare bedroom

Big loss at too early an age. Looks like smoking cigs had something to do with this.

Petty was so much more than a musician, He had a great show on Sirius radio and did some good acting in the movie "Postman"

S'long Tom.

12 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I once read an article where the reporter was talking to one of the Ramones about "I Wanna Be Sedated".  He asked why that was such a big hit versus so many of their other songs. The response was that the Song Writing God stopped by their house on the way back from Bono's. For those of you who write or have written lyrics, music or prose you know EXACTLY what that means.

The Song Writing God lived in Mr. Petty's spare bedroom

Big loss at too early an age. Looks like smoking cigs had something to do with this.

Petty was so much more than a musician, He had a great show on Sirius radio and did some good acting in the movie "Postman"

S'long Tom.

Howard Stern memorialized him in a very respectful session but made a poignant point about his life.    Howard was a big fan.    Howards point was that as great as Tom Petty was...  he seemed to live in the shadow of someone just a little bigger at various stages in his career.

Bruce in his playing days, Harrison with the Wilbury's and even in death, the same day he passes the Vegas incident happened and Petty moved to page 2 or 3.   Pointing out that Petty NEVER got the recognition he deserved and I agree. 

I always liked him but never owned his music.  Im embarrassed by that fact now.  Last 2 weeks its been playing non stop in my house.  Im playing it on my guitar etc.

35 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Howard Stern memorialized him in a very respectful session but made a poignant point about his life.    Howard was a big fan.    Howards point was that as great as Tom Petty was...  he seemed to live in the shadow of someone just a little bigger at various stages in his career.

Bruce in his playing days, Harrison with the Wilbury's and even in death, the same day he passes the Vegas incident happened and Petty moved to page 2 or 3.   Pointing out that Petty NEVER got the recognition he deserved and I agree. 

I always liked him but never owned his music.  Im embarrassed by that fact now.  Last 2 weeks its been playing non stop in my house.  Im playing it on my guitar etc.

Respect.  The man is amazing.  I’ve been going through his collection since he passed and he truly is one of the most gifted song writers in the history of music.  Just incredible rythyms accompanied by absolute poetic lyrics.  That man can create a scene and set a mode lyrically like very few have ever done and ever will.

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2017 at 9:55 AM, southparkcpa said:

Hugggge stern fan here..... But i wouldnt call stern a HUGE fan of any band. In fact, imo, Stern doesnt know squat about music even from his own generarion. A total poser. 

But i love stern and tom

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't a huge Tom Petty fan although I did love his music.  The one time I got to see him play live was actually at the Super Bowl when the Giants beat the Patriots here in Arizona.  I'm the knucklehead in the Jets jersey rooting for the Giants that day.

tom-petty-super-bowl-halftime-show-super-bowl-xlii-giants-patriots.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 2.04.14 PM.png

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers absolutely rocked the halftime show that year.

Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose. His family shared the news to ‘save lives.’

504260744.jpg&w=1484Tom Petty died in October 2017 from an accidental drug overdose as a result of mixing medications, his family announced on Jan. 19, 2018. (Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for J/P HRO)

Tom Petty, the singer and guitarist whose influential music spanned four decades, died in October from an accidental drug overdose as a result of mixing medications involving opioids, his family announced Friday.

A Los Angeles County medical examiner-coroner’s report reveals that Petty had traces of multiple opioids including fentanyl in his system when he died at age 66 after being found unconscious at his home in Malibu, Calif. He had suffered cardiac arrest.

The cause of his death had until Friday remained a mystery. For months, his fans wondered what killed Petty after his death certificate, released about a week later, registered the cause of death as “deferred” pending an autopsy. He died a week after concluding a nationwide tour with his band, the Heartbreakers. He told Rolling Stone at the time that the tour might be his last. “I don’t want to spend my life on the road,” he said.

Petty’s wife, Dana Petty, and his daughter, Adria Petty, wrote in a statement posted to the band’s website and Facebook page that Petty had suffered from emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip. Out of commitment to his fans, he toured for 53 dates with the fractured hip. But the pain soon became unbearable and led Petty to turn to medication, the family said.

“We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,” the family wrote.

The family shared the coroner’s report to “spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis.”

We hope in some way this report can save lives,” the family wrote.

Fentanyl, a synthetic narcotic about 50 times stronger than heroin, is linked to thousands of overdoses and fatalities across the country. Fentanyl-related deaths increased nearly 600 percent from 2014 to 2016 in 24 of the nation’s biggest cities, according to health departments. A report by The Washington Post last year showed 582 fatal overdoses from fentanyl in 2014, followed by a surge to 3,946 such deaths in 2016.

Petty in 2015 opened up about his addiction to heroin in the 1990s. Petty for decades had kept the addiction a secret and, before talking about it to biographer Warren Zanes, told him: “I am very concerned that talking about this is putting a bad example out there for young people. If anyone is going to think heroin is an option because they know my story of using heroin, I can’t do this.”

“I think you’re going to come off as a cautionary tale rather than a romantic tale,” Zanes recalled telling Petty, according to The Washington Post’s Geoff Edgers.

Prince in 2016 also died from a fentanyl overdose a week after the pop singer’s plane made an emergency stop in Moline, Ill., for him to receive medical treatment as he was returning from an Atlanta concert.

Petty broke into the rock-and-roll scene with the Heartbreakers in the 1970s with songs that included “Free Fallin’,” “I Won’t Back Down” and “American Girl.”

His family said they were proud Petty could still perform those songs for his fans on his 40th anniversary tour last year.

“We now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career,” Petty’s family wrote.

G0D Damn Shame. RIP Tom Petty. 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:45 PM, Larz said:

Really? 

He played 50 gigs with a broken hip. 

Might have something to do with it 

Not judging, it's simply sad and wish it hadn't happened. He was outstanding at Forest Hills, shame nobody will see him play ever again. And if getting off the road had been a better option, wish he had done that. But the other side is a musician like him has a whole battalion of people-the band, the crew, support staff-depending on him who need work. If they don't tour, these people, who have been loyal friends and co-workers going on decades, get nothing. Think you will see more of the older guys doing  residency gigs rather than going on the road. 

Archived