Poll: Rooting for wins? Or Tank?

TuscanyTile2

Are you rooting for the Jets to win games? Or to tank?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Are you rooting for the Jets to win games? Or to tank?

• I'm rooting for the Jets to win games this year
    • I'm rooting for a tank (and hopefully a FQB in the draft)

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Voted tank.  But if they get one more win in the next few games, the tank is dead.

I will say, Bowles is doing one hell of a job with these guys.  Just wish he could find a way to do that while losing too.  Like letting the Jags get the OT FG or something.

He did his best. Marquis Lee ****ed it up by dropping a pass right in his hands.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not presupposing anything.  If someone isn't rooting for the tank then they don't have to vote for it.  I'm asking people if that's what they're rooting for.

But your choices limit you to a choice between rooting for wins or a tank.

I always root for Jets wins...but I expect choices will reflect a plan for long-term success.  Not starting a mediocre at best 38 yo QB, a WR in Kerley that we ditched yrs ago and who is similarly limited and a RB whose best days are long past in Forte. None of these individuals are important.

A third choice could have been, 'rooting for wins while answering long-term questions and getting young guys experience/evaluation on Sunday'

14 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm really disappointed (and surprised, actually) that you are not hoping to get Darnold or Rosen. How can I pull you over to the Clan side, Willy?

I've been through 48 years of misery with this team, I was 6 when the Jets won a Super Bowl, I've seen the good bad and the ugly.  Any game the Jets win is a good day.  The history of drafting here and the busts we've chosen in the 1st round give me nothing to believe in.  I live for today not for tomorrow.  No one gets out alive. Lets say I root for a win on Sunday they win and I die on Monday I die a happy man. 

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I always root for Jets wins...but I expect choices will reflect a plan for long-term success.  Not starting a mediocre at best 38 yo QB, a WR in Kerley that we ditched yrs ago and who is similarly limited and a RB whose best days are long past in Forte. None of these individuals are important.

A third choice could have been, 'rooting for wins while answering long-term questions and getting young guys experience/evaluation on Sunday'

That's silly! Then we wouldn't clearly know who to properly shame.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I've been through 48 years of misery, I was 6 when the Jets won a Super Bowl, I've seen the good bad and the ugly.  Any game the Jets win is a good day.  The history of drafting here and the busts we've chosen in the 1st round give me nothing to believe in.  I live for today not for tomorrow.  No one gets out alive. Lets say I root for a win on Sunday they win and I die on Monday I die a happy man. 

I never imagined the desire for a single marshmallow could be so poignant.

Can not accept a tanking philosophy. I support the players and want to see them reap the rewards for their efforts. These young men need to feel the support of the fans not the ridicule of them for doing their best and winning as many games as possible. When fans vocal about tanking the are undermining their efforts.

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

Tank. Can't get excited over McCown no matter how good he plays. Hes a fossil

That's my point...root for wins, but with McCown, Kerley and Forte's ass firmly planted on the bench except for limited roles.

Then, you have the best of both worlds and if it results in a 'tank' effort, so be it.

McCown, Kerley and Forte is treading water at best.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Your "3rd choice" is the same as rooting for wins (as far as this poll at least).  I'm rooting for a tank but I also want our young players to show promise and develop.  Obviously we all want that.

As for not wanting McCown, Kerley or Forte to start, that's more about the way you want the team coached.  Or are you saying you're rooting for losses if those guys start as opposed to rooting for wins if young players (Hack, ArDarius, McGuire) start?  

22 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Most of my Jet fan friends that are rooting for them to win aren’t the real fans.

They are the guys who go to the game mostly for the tailgating and to just get an escape from life.

They aren’t invested in this team, they aren’t thinking about a future of competing for SBs down the line.

They just want to see some wins.

Nothing wrong with that, but it’s not what I want

Just because they have a different perspective, doesn't mean they aren't real fans.   I want the Jets to win, because when they win it actually feels good.  I've been a Jets fan since the Namath days and I've been around long enough to know that if you hang your hopes on the draft, you may be disappointed.  I can't think of any real Jets fan who genuinely say yay! when we lose.  

21 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

That's my point...root for wins, but with McCown, Kerley and Forte's ass firmly planted on the bench except for limited roles.

Then, you have the best of both worlds and if it results in a 'tank' effort, so be it.

I think they're breaking in the young guys.  McCown is a solid QB with a short shelf life.  Kerley has been around and though he's never been a #1 receiver, he has been a good competitor and role model.

As far as Forte goes, he's not what he was when he was with the bears, but in his day he kicked ass.  By end of season the young guys will be playing a much larger role.  Including at QB.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

So when Sunday's game comes along and McCown and Kerley are in the starting lineup, are you rooting for the Jets to win or are you rooting for the Jets to lose?

I'm rooting for meaningful progress, which in the current situation is evaluation and experience of the young players and demonstrated competence by the coaching staff.

We are pretty much in a worst case scenario with Bowles making inexplicable tactical mistakes during games and McCown starting, handing the ball off to Forte, and throwing passes to Kerley while the team goes .500.

Just can't think about Jet games like an accountant - measuring up wins and losses and rooting for the theoretical best, such as losing now is good in the long run. How long have the Browns been tanking? Has it turned them into a powerhouse? How many more years must they tank before they're good? I'm a fan and I root for the Jets to win. I always root for the Jets to win.

Even if they hadn't screwed up "The Tank" which they most likely already have you must remember, this is our NY Jets, the team that drafted Nagle Smith and Hack and even if they DID manage to wind up with the first pick in the draft they would undoubtedly somehow, someway unearth the next Tim Couch.

The purge strategy is a long term plan. Naturally with all them young players and a journeyman QB at the helm, and sadly no apparent starter behind him, all us fans need to accept that this team isn't even playoff material this year.

What's  really at stake this season is Bowles ' job for 2018. The other Johnson did publicly state that he's not measuring the success of this season strickly on wins, rather on effort. So far, the effort has been there.players are playing, and coaches are coaching. The team is buying in.

This team won't win more that 5 games this year.  That'll still  put us in a good position to go and get a QB in round 1, there's a least 3 to 4 there for the taking. 

I don't think we as fans need to argue about who is the more loyal fan. Just enjoy the games for what they are, the young kids are exciting to see play and watch grow.

We will look back and realize that the 2017 was be a blessing.

9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I'd have voted for that if it were an option. My hope is that we come out of this year with far fewer holes and question marks than we started it. i think we're well on the way.

Defense - started abysmally but has picked it up these past two weeks. Some excellent young players showing up (and some highly paid vets getting shown up)

RB - now that Forte is out we're seeing what we have behind him; Powell may be getting on but McGuire has me intrigued. Maybe not as a workhorse guy, but as a change of pace guy that can go the distance. How long is it since we had one of those?

OL - still some questions, but playing better than I thought

WR - if we start next year with Kearse, Q, Anderson, Stewart and Hansen that could be a strong unit, built mostly out of no-ones and cast offs. "Free the Kerl" was a popular cry years back, I'd rather we "Release the Kerl" and give Marshall / Stewart more time, both have shown flashes and need the reps to improve

TE - ASJ is a free agent after this year, but he has shown he can be a factor for us - again, when could we last say that about TE??

ST - winning us games rather than losing them - refreshing!!

And - possibly most of all ... 

Coaching - still early, but looking so much better this year than before. Without good coaching a lot of the above goes for nothing. Hope to see this continue and improve all season long.

10 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I never imagined the desire for a single marshmallow could be so poignant.

What if I told you there was another way .. a way to get your marshmallows this year AND next year? ;-) 

I want both - i root for wins but have no expectation of winning this year so not unhappy or mad when the Jets lose games this year, always happy when they win

I see the long term benefit of a franchise QB and agree that a lost season is worth it, if the Jets can draft a franchise QB as a result of that lost season.  I also think there will be choices in the first round and maybe later in the draft with all the hype on the "top guys" so I am not that worried about a win or three

Do we need a new poll option for Jets fans who may be win-curious or tank-curious? - this is getting good

I will never root for my team to lose.  first off I don't have the power to affect wins and losses, if I root for them to win it doesn't mean they do.  If I had that power we'd be SB champs every year so it makes no sense to me to waste my energy rooting against my team in the hopes that we get a higher draft prospect that may or may not eventually be good.

Each week, I want to see the young guys play well and develop.  If guys like Adams, Maye, Mcguire, Ealy, Bass, Anderson, ASJ, young linemen continue to play and play well, then I am willing to live with the outcome win or loss.  Although to be honest with myself, I would prefer the loss.  I get that there are never guarantees around the top picks, but the odds are better the higher we pick.

I am rooting for this team to win a Super Bowl someday.  I am old enough to have seen the last one, and it has been 49 long years.  The team needs a franchise QB and the higher we pick the better the odds are that we get our guy.  I get that our guy, even at #1 could turn out to be Jamarcus Russell or Tim Couch just as easily as John Elway or Peyton Manning.  If a loss on Sunday will somehow improve our odds of a SB -- even a little bit -- then that is what I want to see.

I don't like the wins with McCown and Kerley in the lineup. Completely pointless. The tank -intentionally throwing football games- isn't going to happen, so it seems ridiculous to root for it. I would like to see Petty/Hack at QB, Stewart/Hansen/Marshall at WR, and more McGuire at RB with everyone on the field playing to win and the coaches coaching to win and seeing where the team is at. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don't like the wins with McCown and Kerley in the lineup. Completely pointless. The tank -intentionally throwing football games- isn't going to happen, so it seems ridiculous to root for it. I would like to see Petty/Hack at QB, Stewart/Hansen/Marshall at WR, and more McGuire at RB with everyone on the field playing to win and the coaches coaching to win and seeing where the team is at. 

I'd be maybe even sorta excited if it was Petty or Hackenberg possibly 

Poor poll options.

You can root for wins (knowing we won't get many anyway) and still "hopefully get a FQB in the draft".

A reminder, again, this is supposedly the deepest QB Draft since 1983. 

If that's true, there will be FQB's picked in the teens and even the 20's.

And like many a draft, the best actual FQB of the draft is unlikely to go #1/#1.

Archived