Breer: The 2018 Veteran QB Market

KRL

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

No to most.  Draft a QB at whatever spot we have.  Baker Mayfield at pick #12 + Petty + Hack > Teddy "Will He Walk Again" Bridgewater or a Pats Castoff Unknown or a 83 year old Drew Brees. 

I could get behind this. Witnessed the OSU v Oklahoma game here in Columbus. The guy is a competitor. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I know drafting a rookie is a gamble but at least it's a cheap gamble.

Are people really confident in these FAs that they're worth the massive contracts they're going to demand? Kirk Cousins is probably going to get something in the neighborhood of 6 years 150+ million with 65 million guaranteed, locking us into him for years and years.

Meanwhile we can develop our own guy who could very well be much better.

I prefer drafting a QB over signing a free agent.  Especially with the upcoming draft and the depth at QB.  They could even double up on QB in 2018.  Draft one in the 1st and take another one later in the draft if one of the top prospects were to fall (some issue comes up before the draft / injury) or they believe there is mid round QB that they like.  Similar to what the Redskins did when they drafted Kirk Cousins.  The way the Jets draft picks look as of today, they got a 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, 1 4th round pick, 2 5th round picks, 1 6th round pick and 1 7th round pick.  If the Jets season takes a turn and they end up in the bottom 4, they could have 4 picks top 100 and then they could take a flyer on another QB.  The guy that I am watching as a mid round pick (if he comes out) would be Ryan Finley out of NC State.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I know drafting a rookie is a gamble but at least it's a cheap gamble.

Are people really confident in these FAs that they're worth the massive contracts they're going to demand? Kirk Cousins is probably going to get something in the neighborhood of 6 years 150+ million with 65 million guaranteed, locking us into him for years and years.

Agreed but the good thing is for once the Jets are situated where they can go down
multiple paths to acquire a QB:

- They'll have over 80 million in cap space if they want to go after a free agent

- They'll have a first round pick in a draft where 5-6 QB's will be available

- They could get greedy and choose one from free agency and the draft

It will be interesting to see what they do and can they make the right choice

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Agreed but the good thing is for once the Jets are situated where they can go down
multiple paths to acquire a QB:

- They'll have over 80 million in cap space if they want to go after a free agent

- They'll have a first round pick in a draft where 5-6 QB's will be available

- They could get greedy and choose one from free agency and the draft

It will be interesting to see what they do and can they make the right choice

Agreed... We can only hope Mac doesn't screw it up (and my lack of faith is one of the reasons option C where they grab a FA and draft a QB too isn't a bad idea.)

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sign me up. By the time your drafted QB is any good you are paying him a fortune anyway and all that talent you drafted wants contracts too.  See Wilkerson. You can develop your own guy who could very well be much better?  I call bullsh*t.  There probably aren't 10 people on earth better at the job than Kirk Cousins, there certainly aren't 10 who are "much better."  I would consider taking my chances on something that much closer to a sure thing. 

What did we get for all that cap space in 2015?  I'd take Cousins over the lot of them.  OTOH, I think Cousins guarantee will be well north of $80M and I may not want to pay what he will get.  

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sign me up. By the time your drafted QB is any good you are paying him a fortune anyway and all that talent you drafted wants contracts too.  See Wilkerson. You can develop your own guy who could very well be much better?  I call bullsh*t.  There probably aren't 10 people on earth better at the job than Kirk Cousins, there certainly aren't 10 who are "much better."  I would consider taking my chances on something that much closer to a sure thing. 

What did we get for all that cap space in 2015?  I'd take Cousins over the lot of them.  OTOH, I think Cousins guarantee will be well north of $80M and I may not want to pay what he will get.  

what if the jets broke the bank and gave Cousins something ridiculous like 110M for 4 years w/50M SB?   

what would it hurt?   we have so much cap space there is no realistic way to use it other than overpaying for marginal players.    Cousins would provide stability for 4 years and allow the team to continue to draft 2,3,4 rd prospects with hopes that someone would develop w/o the pressure of being the 'future'.   

if they can't get Rosen in rd 1 then Cousins is the answer.    Just make him the highest paid player in the league and front load a shorter term deal.   This team hasn't had stability at the QB position since Vinny blew out his achilles.   

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the biggest difference here is our opinion on Cousins... I don't think he's a top tier talent at the QB position and I think multiple QBs in the upcoming draft will be better players than he will be.

On 5 October 2017 at 2:37 PM, Obrien2Toon said:

That part about Garapolo getting franchised and making 7M more than Brady is ridiculous.

They really need to look into the Pats shady dealings with Brady

They won't, and it's totally legit that TB12 sports company sells all their services to the NE Pats.

I think $35,000 for a protein shake is perfectly acceptable.

A team like Washington could work for Brees or Jacksonville w/ Cousins. Not the Jets. We're not build to inherit a veteran. The roster and the history as of late mandates we take our chances reaching for the stars in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

A team like Washington could work for Brees or Jacksonville w/ Cousins. Not the Jets. We're not build to inherit a veteran. The roster and the history as of late mandates we take our chances reaching for the stars in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're not built for one but you just knowwwwww we're gonna sign one.

With so much talk about the college kids and focusing on the Jets, I had no idea Smith was going to hit FA along with Cousins.

He’s got five or six good years left in him and I’d happily watch him play those years for the Jets.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

With so much talk about the college kids and focusing on the Jets, I had no idea Smith was going to hit FA along with Cousins.

He’s got five or six good years left in him and I’d happily watch him play those years for the Jets.

Smith I believe would have to be traded for. And I dont want us using a high round pick on that.

Alex Smith has proven he is not a good QB when the talent level around him isn't elite.  He looks competent now because the Chiefs had the most talented roster in the NFL.  

This is his 12th year in the league and he has only thrown more than 20 TDs once.  His career high is 23.  To put this in perspective, Mark Sanchez threw 26 TDs with a far inferior roster in 2011.

And this is a guy worth over $20M?

Pass.  

If we go after a FA QB, make it Drew Brees and draft a guy that can sit for 2 years and learn from Morton, Bates, and Brees.

47 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Smith I believe would have to be traded for. And I dont want us using a high round pick on that.

Gotcha...I skimmed the article and thiught it was regarding pending free agents.

I’d give up a mid-rounder for him and draft one.

On 10/5/2017 at 10:09 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Alex Smith will be our starting QB in 2018. 

I agree. I see Macc going cap crazy this off-season and using the best player available bullsh*t in the draft. At least maybe he drafts a QB but I think he keeps his special project Hack-off around to learn from a veteran guy.

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Gotcha...I skimmed the article and thiught it was regarding pending free agents.

A mid rounder I would def do. But I think a team closer to contending will give up a high pick for him instead. I can see Minnesota going for him if Bradford and Bridgewater's knees don't hold up.

KC won't trade him to Denver, where he would be a good fit.

Maybe Jacksonville as well.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

There it is.

It only took 2 weeks but we already got posters excited about trading for Alex Smith next year.

Just awesome.  

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There it is.

It only took 2 weeks but we already got posters excited about trading for Alex Smith next year.

Just awesome.  

Pretty sure I suggested it this offseason (or last) as well.  Solid QB.  Jets could use one of those.

Just now, AFJF said:

Pretty sure I suggested it this offseason (or last) as well.  Solid QB.  Jets could use one of those.

If you're expecting Alex Smith to leave the Chiefs offense/weapons, come to the Jets, and look like the same guy, you aren't gonna have a fun time.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If you're expecting Alex Smith to leave the Chiefs offense/weapons, come to the Jets, and look like the same guy, you aren't gonna have a fun time.

I disagree 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I disagree 

what... I don't know if i have the resources to address this. What universe does Alex Smith get traded to the Jets (cause he ain't "picking" us), and suddenly play as good or better than he is now? He's largely been an above average game manager his whole career - who's never elevated his team's play. In fact, he's played with the means of the talent around him, his entire career. THIS is the first we've seen of him looking as good as he is -- and that's a function many, many things.

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Cause that Chiefs offense is loaded with weapons right?

If we signed a QB, like Smith or Garrapolo, we could use our draft picks to add a blue chip WR or OL.  

42 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

If we signed a QB, like Smith or Garrapolo, we could use our draft picks to add a blue chip WR or OL.  

Yeah. Pretty much it is. Leagues leading rusher. An all pro tight end. A game changing wide receiver. 

The Jets should find their own QB through the draft. Period. Giving massive guaranteed money to middling QBs is a waste of assets.  

49 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

We win a couple games against bottom feeders -- and all of sudden people are talking about signing Alex Smith to 20mil and going all in?!?! WTF is going on around here??

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yeah. That Chiefs offense is actually loaded with weapons, they have phenomenal coaching, and they have a great defense to compliment it.  Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt, by themselves, are better than anything we've had on offense in the last 10 years.  You're delusional if you believe anything otherwise.  

A rookie WR or Lineman doesn't make us better than mediocre.  In a couple of weeks, after we've played the meat of our schedule, all of you #realfans will fall right off your cloud 9 high from beating the Dolphins and Jaguars and realize that we're not close to competing.  We're just the best "bad" team around.  

We're not competing next year.  We're not a potentially sneaky team this year.  We're not "better than people think".  We just played two teams who just happen to suck more than us.  The only reason Alex Smith would be a perfect fit for us is because he's mediocre without the pieces around him.  Just like this team.

43 minutes ago, Paradis said:

We win a couple games against bottom feeders -- and all of sudden people are talking about signing Alex Smith to 20mil and going all in?!?! WTF is going on around here??

Out at a drinking function.  How has Falk looked tonight?  Saw the 13-10 score I think?

Archived