Cam Newton to reporter: "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes."

Jetsfan80

What a total d*ck.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856806/article/cam-funny-to-hear-a-female-talk-about-routes

Cam: 'Funny to hear a female talk about routes'

At a Wednesday press conference, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said "it's funny to hear a female talk about routes" after he was asked by Jourdan Rodrigue, a female reporter for the Charlotte Observer, about routes run by wide receiver Devin Funchess.

Newton did answer Rodrigue's question, but his initial comment drew swift criticism from local reporters as well as reporters across the NFL.

Panthers spokesperson Steven Drummond released the following statement to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport:

"I have spoken with Jourdan and Cam and I know they had a conversation where he expressed regret for using those words. We strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable to everyone covering the team."

Rodrigue later released a statement to Rapoport regarding Newton's comments.

"This afternoon, I did my job as an NFL beat writer and asked Cam Newton a question about one of his receivers. I was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me but countless other women before me and beside me who work in similar jobs," Rodrigue said.

"I sought Mr. Newton out as he left the locker room a few minutes later. He did not apologize for his comments."

Per the NFL, "The comments are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league. They do not reflect the thinking of the league."

Below is the full question and response from Newton:

Q: "I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of these routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of an enjoyment to see him kind of truck people?

A: "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes. ... But [Funchess] has come along. This is a big game for him because of him being from Detroit. I know that he wants this extremely bad. Just to see his growth over the years. Completely different player. Not just on the field, but I told him and [Kelvin Benjamin] today, those guys' preparation has been different this year. And credit the coaching for it, and just moving forward we're going to expect those same things."

This is not the first time in Newton's NFL career that he has been dismissive toward a female reporter during a news conference.

In 2012 following a loss to the Dallas Cowboys, Newton said "I'm going to leave this room and I'm going to bring in a suggestion box and I want your suggestions to be in that suggestion box because I sure don't know.

"I really don't. I wish I could tell you. But the only thing I control, sweetheart, is myself. Offensively, I am the leader of this bunch and we haven't been getting the job done."

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the issue here is "choosing" to be offended instead of just answering back at him in a snarky manner by correcting him and putting him in his place for being dismissive?

Seems like the constant narrative nowadays is that people are quick to be (want to be?) offended and demand an apology instead of confronting the punk and putting him in his place. He has nothing to apologize for, he just comes across like a d!ck, nothing earth-shattering. She should grow some stones, put him in his place - which I believe she twitted something publicly reprimanding him - and move on instead of having this stupid 2 second incident snowball into another stupid E60 special on a Sunday morning in March '18. :rolleyes:

Every peer-reviewed scientific study done over the last half century has proven that comprehension of all things related to a receiver's routes are exclusive to the Y-chromosome. That's why there are no female WRs in the NFL. Cam knows this as well as he knows his Greek yogurt. 

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

So the issue here is "choosing" to be offended instead of just answering back at him in a snarky manner by correcting him and putting him in his place for being dismissive?

Seems like the constant narrative nowadays is that people are quick to be (want to be?) offended and demand an apology instead of confronting the punk and putting him in his place. He has nothing to apologize for, he just comes across like a d!ck, nothing earth-shattering. She should grow some stones, put him in his place - which I believe she twitted something publicly reprimanding him - and move on instead of having this stupid 2 second incident snowball into another stupid E60 special on a Sunday morning in March '18. :rolleyes:

Being offended is the #1 hottest thing! The media also promotes it.

That being said, Newton strikes me as an idiot.

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

I'm generally with you on this but cams comments and the manner in which he said it were pretty damn could condescending and offensive. 

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Comment was a little rude and condescending, but a non-story. 

No big deal.

Pretty sure that's what makes it a story. Your star QB is laughing at the person for being a female talking about football. Cam it's 2017, grow the F up. 

24 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Comment was a little rude and condescending, but a non-story. 

No big deal.

If he just apologized it would be a non-story.  The story is that he's compounding his stupidity by sticking to his guns.    

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Pretty sure that's what makes it a story. Your star QB is laughing at the person for being a female talking about football. Cam it's 2017, grow the F up. 

Pretty sure there is an enormously powerful man in the country that says offensive things on a near daily basis, and yet a segment of the population rush to his defense....

I think Cam's snide remark in the grand scheme of things... is pretty insignificant.

32 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Reporters generally don't do this during press conferences.  She was attempting to be professional. 

With the rationale you're using, couldn't it also be said you're advocating for people not to be held accountable for things they say?

29 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Being offended is the #1 hottest thing! The media also promotes it.

That being said, Newton strikes me as an idiot.

Just look at him at these press conferences, lol, stupid straw hats, pants that go up to his knees (Capris I think they call them,lol), you could cover him in his own feces & he'd walk around like his * don't stink. Condescending? This guy is epitomy of male ego gone crazy. Talent, looks, gobs of money, he could give a F*CK what anyone thinks of him & he projects it 24/7.

He really is an idiot.  Now I know we live in a very sensitive world where people get offended for pretty much anything, but in the sports world we see woman in the studio and out on the field on a daily basis.  Why he would think it's funny to hear a woman ask any question is pretty ignorant.

With more women (ok, on the NFL network, its MILFS) talking football, your gonna have more of this happening. Guys will be guys, just human nature. Have you watched the guys trying to have serious conversations with Lindsey Rhodes on NFL total access while she's wearing a nice tight top with those beautiful tatas staring them in their face?

Its hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What a total d*ck.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856806/article/cam-funny-to-hear-a-female-talk-about-routes

Cam: 'Funny to hear a female talk about routes'

At a Wednesday press conference, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said "it's funny to hear a female talk about routes" after he was asked by Jourdan Rodrigue, a female reporter for the Charlotte Observer, about routes run by wide receiver Devin Funchess.

Newton did answer Rodrigue's question, but his initial comment drew swift criticism from local reporters as well as reporters across the NFL.

Panthers spokesperson Steven Drummond released the following statement to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport:

"I have spoken with Jourdan and Cam and I know they had a conversation where he expressed regret for using those words. We strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable to everyone covering the team."

Rodrigue later released a statement to Rapoport regarding Newton's comments.

"This afternoon, I did my job as an NFL beat writer and asked Cam Newton a question about one of his receivers. I was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me but countless other women before me and beside me who work in similar jobs," Rodrigue said.

"I sought Mr. Newton out as he left the locker room a few minutes later. He did not apologize for his comments."

Per the NFL, "The comments are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league. They do not reflect the thinking of the league."

Below is the full question and response from Newton:

Q: "I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of these routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of an enjoyment to see him kind of truck people?

A: "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes. ... But [Funchess] has come along. This is a big game for him because of him being from Detroit. I know that he wants this extremely bad. Just to see his growth over the years. Completely different player. Not just on the field, but I told him and [Kelvin Benjamin] today, those guys' preparation has been different this year. And credit the coaching for it, and just moving forward we're going to expect those same things."

This is not the first time in Newton's NFL career that he has been dismissive toward a female reporter during a news conference.

In 2012 following a loss to the Dallas Cowboys, Newton said "I'm going to leave this room and I'm going to bring in a suggestion box and I want your suggestions to be in that suggestion box because I sure don't know.

"I really don't. I wish I could tell you. But the only thing I control, sweetheart, is myself. Offensively, I am the leader of this bunch and we haven't been getting the job done."

latest?cb=20150129023217

What he said was dumb but the question clearly showed she had zero clue ghat she was talking about and I share Cams skeptiude on some of the female reporters that don't seem to now the game.  Many do and are really good but a good number need to do a lot more work.  "Physicality of routes"

It is weird to hear a woman talking about routes..  or announcing a game with Rex Ryan.. or voting.

Ok maybe not voting but the other 2 things for sure are a bit weird.  

There's got to be something more important to get offended by...  like shooting free throws with paper towel rolls into a crowd of people who lost their homes.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

It is weird to hear a woman talking about routes..  or announcing a game with Rex Ryan.. or voting.

Ok maybe not voting but the other 2 things for sure are a bit weird.  

There's got to be something more important to get offended by...  like shooting paper towel rolls like free throws to a bunch of people who lost their homes.

At my office for my many many years, I rarely have had any woman come up to me to talk about something detailed in any sports.  Maybe a " I hear this team won or lost" etc.  If someone came up and asked me about route running...that would be weird.   But female sports reporters?  They have been around for several years.  They are studio anchors.  They are field reporters.  They are hosts on the Fan.  All this is weird to you?  How many more years do you need for it to not become weird to you?

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

At my office for my many many years, I rarely have had any woman come up to me to talk about something detailed in any sports.  Maybe a " I hear this team won or lost" etc.  If someone came up and asked me about route running...that would be weird.   But female sports reporters?  They have been around for several years.  They are studio anchors.  They are field reporters.  They are hosts on the Fan.  All this is weird to you?  How many more years do you need for it to not become weird to you?

As funny as it sounds I think Cam thought it was a compliment. 

As a side note I'd like to see how many offended people are googling what a route in football is today. I'll bet it's 10 times yesterday. 

Sounds like this thread struck a nerve with the chauvinists out there.  Lot's of outrage coming from people who are complaining about people being "easily offended". 

I'm not personally offended, since I'm not a female beat writer.  But this is most definitely a story. 

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Ok maybe not voting but the other 2 things for sure is a bit weird.  

There's got to be something more important to get offended by...  like shooting paper towel rolls like free throws to a bunch of people who lost their homes.

What she should have done was confront him at the presser and ask what is so unusual about a football reporter asking about routes.

Archived