Why do our punters always suck?

freestater

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

I mean..,is that a requirement? <_<

Cause we lack patience?  Last time I remember drafting a punter it was Craig Heintrich in the 8th round in 1993.  He was in the league until 2009.  I think he made all-pro twice and after looking it up he kicked in 22 postseason games.  He never made a single kick for the Jets.

I know it's not as bad as at the old stadium, but the wind probably has something to do with it.

I remember Folk and Weatherford talking about how tough it was to kick in the Meadowlands before the Super Bowl was played here.

Edwards has actually been decent this year.  He's just a bit inconsistent.

He's 14th in the NFL in average.

10th in net.

Tied for 2nd in Inside 20.  1 Touch back.

15th in average return yards(which isn't all him, but partly.)

Those are big improvements over last year, where he was near the bottom 2 or 3 in the league most of those categories.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Cause we lack patience?  Last time I remember drafting a punter it was Craig Heintrich in the 8th round in 1993.  He was in the league until 2009.  I think he made all-pro twice and after looking it up he kicked in 22 postseason games.  He never made a single kick for the Jets.

I think  Mac & Bowles are patient enough to let young players develop.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Edwards has actually been decent this year.  He's just a bit inconsistent.

He's 14th in the NFL in average.

10th in net.

Tied for 2nd in Inside 20.  1 Touch back.

15th in average return yards(which isn't all him, but partly.)

Those are big improvements over last year, where he was near the bottom 2 or 3 in the league most of those categories.

Yes you hit the most important parts... 1) He's been decent and 2) he's improving!... He's a 2nd year guy who is much better this year than his rookie year... That's what you want! Growth, improvement, experience! 

He definitely doesn't "suck"... 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This. We have the same problem with all other areas too - if they are not a pro-bowler their first week, they are a steaming pile of garbage..... :-)

I was watching a game, maybe even last night's where the punter was fantastic and they said he was some team's 3rd round pick; clearly they let him move on, maybe because he sucked the first few years - that is the problem with QBs, punters, kickers - when they struggle you loose games; when you are a contender (or trying to be), you don't always have time to let them grow - this year, we don't have that problem - maybe Edwards fixes his inconsistency ...

3 hours ago, Kevin L said:

I know it's not as bad as at the old stadium, but the wind probably has something to do with it.

I remember Folk and Weatherford talking about how tough it was to kick in the Meadowlands before the Super Bowl was played here.

is there stats on how opposing kickers do in metlife or the meadowlands?  that would be a way to compare

31 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Our punter also happens to lead the league in completion percentage and yards per attempt, if I'm not mistake. Some people are never happy.

And somewhere deep in the bowels of florham park a single tear rolls down the cheek of Christian Hackenburg.

Archived