Hacken-buried?

TuscanyTile2

I was hoping this season was going to be about learning whether or not Hack can play.  But with the Jets about to go (possibly) 3-2, Hack seems like he's at the bottom of the barrel of Jets' priorities right now.  Heck, he's also not even the #2 QB at the moment.  Is he buried for this season or do we think he still gets a chance to play?  If the season crashes and burns (which it might), then he might get in there.  But if it crashes and burns to the point where we can draft Darnold then Hack is never going to get his chance here.  How many 2nd round QBs never even get a snap? 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was hoping this season was going to be about learning whether or not Hack can play.  But with the Jets about to go (possibly) 3-2, Hack seems like he's at the bottom of the barrel of Jets' priorities right now.  Heck, he's also not even the #2 QB at the moment.  Is he buried for this season or do we think he still gets a chance to play?  If the season crashes and burns (which it might), then he might get in there.  But if it crashes and burns to the point where we can draft Darnold then Hack is never going to get his chance here.  How many 2nd round QBs never even get a snap? 

Hack's career arc compares to this former Packer and Bills QB.

Image result

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Bowles will never play Hack, and does not want to ever play Petty. If he survives the season, McClown or some other veteran will start next year and every year therafter until he is fired even if draft Rosen or Darnold.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Isn’t the fact that he is buried on the depth chart and not anything more than an afterthought a referendum on whether or not he can play? I don’t think anyone needs to see him in a regular game to know or not that he doesn’t have the goods. 

NO. This stance is completely nonsensical. He is a young developmental player. One with ELITE skills by the way. And the only way to know if he can become a NFL QB is to play him AND create a support structure to allow him to develop. This applies to Petty as well.

One only needs to look at what is happening with the Rams (I hate the new abbreviations LAC and LAC BTW) to see this is true.

Goff looked WORSE than Hack last year. Yet they get rid of a coach amazingly similar to Bowles, get some new offensive weapons, a QB focused head coach, and a young player friendly offensive system and all of a sudden Goff looks like a franchise QB and the Rams are leading the NFL in points.

Developing a QB requirements commitment and dedication to creating an environment for the QB to grow, which unfortunately is the opposite of what the Jets do under Bowles, This actually makes Petty's clear development even more impressive since he is clearly SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year despite the Jets almost active attempts to undermine his development.

Even the most optimistic Hack fan really can't believe he's got a shot. The Jets one way or another will fill their Long term QB needs next off season, either by draft or FA.

Bowles is going with McCown, and will until he's injured, or we are eliminated from the the playoff hunt and Petty is next man up.

To be fair he's made a little money, having a second round contract and not a basic contract late rounders get.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was hoping this season was going to be about learning whether or not Hack can play.

He's buried as the #3.  All but forgotten.

Behind a never was old man in McCown.

And a never will be mid-rounder in Petty.

What else do you need to "learn" before you see the kid for what he is thus far?

Will it take 32 starts a la Geno before you see it?

I get it mate, I do, we all wanted to see him play, but it's got to be earned, and his play in preseason was horrible by and large.  

There is still time, he could show us yet.....he IS young.....but man, it's not looking good.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How many 2nd round QBs never even get a snap? 

If Hack never takes a snap in the NFL, he would be the 3rd.

Gene Bradley (Arkansas State), 2nd round pick by Buffalo in 1980 and Eddie Crowder (Oklahoma) Giants 2nd rounder in 1953.  They are theonly 2nd round QBs in NFL history that never played in an NFL game.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NO. This stance is completely nonsensical. He is a young developmental player. One with ELITE skills by the way. And the only way to know if he can become a NFL QB is to play him AND create a support structure to allow him to develop. This applies to Petty as well.

One only needs to look at what is happening with the Rams (I hate the new abbreviations LAC and LAC BTW) to see this is true.

Goff looked WORSE than Hack last year. Yet they get rid of a coach amazingly similar to Bowles, get some new offensive weapons, a QB focused head coach, and a young player friendly offensive system and all of a sudden Goff looks like a franchise QB and the Rams are leading the NFL in points.

Developing a QB requirements commitment and dedication to creating an environment for the QB to grow, which unfortunately is the opposite of what the Jets do under Bowles, This actually makes Petty's clear development even more impressive since he is clearly SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year despite the Jets almost active attempts to undermine his development.

By what metric? Hack had worse stats in the preseason and Goff actually saw the field last season.

Also what do you mean by ELITE skills? The guy is crazy inaccurate and accuracy is definitely a qb skill. His best performance is equal to Petty's game rookie year against Atlanta.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I love this.  "'ELITE' skills."

What skills are you referring to, exactly?  A strong arm?

He is WOEFULLY inaccurate, and doesn't process information anywhere near fast enough.  These are the skills required to be a successful NFL QB.

A handsome face and a strong arm are a dime a dozen.

Hack does not belong on an NFL roster. 

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Day after 2017 season ends Hackenberg,Maccagnan and Bowles will be outta here! 

I see absolutely no evidence of this at all. Don't know if you're just wishful thinking, but if the Jets continue progressing, there's no way Johnson cans them - including Hack.

36 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I see absolutely no evidence of this at all. Don't know if you're just wishful thinking, but if the Jets continue progressing, there's no way Johnson cans them - including Hack.

Because Hack such an integral part of the recent success..............

57 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

In what ways, specifically, are the Jets progressing that matters? Are the developing a young QB? That’s the only progression they should care about. Not watching some journeyman QB limp them to wins against terrible teams. 

43 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

In what ways, specifically, are the Jets progressing that matters? Are the developing a young QB? That’s the only progression they should care about. Not watching some journeyman QB limp them to wins against terrible teams. 

Kirk Cousins needs a supporting cast.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Kirk Cousins needs a supporting cast.

Hey man, if you want to give like 100 guaranteed to that guy, go for it. I remember Neil O’Donnell. I’m not one to want to repeat mistakes. Maybe it’s time for the Jets to get their own QB and hold onto him for a while. 

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Even if we draft Darnold that doesn't mean he'll start right away, he'll have to earn it.  I expect we'll have 4 QBs in camp next year.  Hack, Petty, a Vet and a Draft Pick. Either Petty, or Hackenberg will be dropped.

If we pick up Cousins same scenario. 

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I love this.  "'ELITE' skills."

What skills are you referring to, exactly?  A strong arm?

He is WOEFULLY inaccurate, and doesn't process information anywhere near fast enough.  These are the skills required to be a successful NFL QB.

A handsome face and a strong arm are a dime a dozen.

Hack does not belong on an NFL roster. 

It didn't look like Goff belonged either last year, or Eli, or lots of others.  The Jets are trying to put together some of the other pieces and doing it with a serviceable QB in McCown and see what Petty has  when we're eliminated, and Hackenberg in camp next year, but I fully expect them to bring in a vet and additional competition. 

47 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hey man, if you want to give like 100 guaranteed to that guy, go for it. I remember Neil O’Donnell. I’m not one to want to repeat mistakes. Maybe it’s time for the Jets to get their own QB and hold onto him for a while. 

I would much prefer they draft a QB. I wouldn't be in favor of signing Cousins at all. I don't want him here.

I think that with all the rooting I am doing though that it will make the Jets miss out on a QB. So they might have to consider plan b.  :)

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I would much prefer they draft a QB. I wouldn't be in favor of signing Cousins at all. I don't want him here.

I think that with all the rooting I am doing though that it will make the Jets miss out on a QB. So they might have to consider plan b.  :)

with 100M of cap space the Jets can do both.   Cousins makes this team an immediate contender r for the AFC East, even with Brady still in NE.   Imagine this team with Cousins and drafting Ridley or OT in Rd 1 and Falk in rd 2.   Yes, I know it's hard to imagine NOT drafting a DL, tiny LB, or CB without ball skills... but just imagine.  

re: Hack - the kid is still only like 22 years old and definitely improved from year 1 to year 2.   I just don't see what all the Hack hate is about.  He's in the worst environment imaginable and the fan base is looking for savior that may never come.   Let the team develop, let hack develop, and see what happens.   If the Jets had any stability at the QB position this would be a non-issue and Hack would be the heir apparent and have time to learn.   

21 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

with 100M of cap space the Jets can do both.   Cousins makes this team an immediate contender r for the AFC East, even with Brady still in NE.   Imagine this team with Cousins and drafting Ridley or OT in Rd 1 and Falk in rd 2.   Yes, I know it's hard to imagine NOT drafting a DL, tiny LB, or CB without ball skills... but just imagine.  

re: Hack - the kid is still only like 22 years old and definitely improved from year 1 to year 2.   I just don't see what all the Hack hate is about.  He's in the worst environment imaginable and the fan base is looking for savior that may never come.   Let the team develop, let hack develop, and see what happens.   If the Jets had any stability at the QB position this would be a non-issue and Hack would be the heir apparent and have time to learn.   

I agree. I don't have a favorite college football team. I don't have a college football team that I hate. I don't know many people like that.

Some people hate Hack because they hate Penn State. Or they hate Paterno. What Penn State did is terrible but it has no bearing on Hackenberg's ability to play in the NFL.

So many people know what will happen next. I am lucky I don't know, so I just go to the games and root for the Jets to win. Knowing what players will be good or bad, more so than the GMs do must be a burden. I am glad I don't have to carry anything like that around, seems tough.

Archived