Game Observations (CLE)

KRL

In what may have been their worst game of the year the Jets squeaked out a "butt
ugly" 17-14 win over CLE.  Thanks to CLE ineptitude in leaving 23 points on the field
and wasting timeouts the Jets overcame their poor play to fall into a three way tie
for first place.  Other than a few key plays there weren't many positives in the
review of the tape.  Let's take a look:

- OLine was spanked in both run & pass blocking.  Add in way too many penalties and 
you have a mess.  Credit to CLE DC (Gregg Williams) for breaking out some old school
Buddy Ryan "46 Defense" to clamp down on the running game.

- DLine was pushed around in the run game and they didn't bring enough consistent
pressure.  Muhammad Wilkerson's name was finally heard, unfortunately it was for 
two personal fouls.  The absence of Kony Ealy was very evident.

- Credit to both Lachlan Edwards and Chandler Cantazaro.  With offense doing nothing
Edwards kept CLE backed up with his punts.  And Cantazaro shockingly gave the team
a lead at halftime with a massive 57 yard FG.

- Solid game for Josh McCown as he kept the mistakes to a minimum (1 INT) as he was
under pressure.  And when he had the opportunity to put points on the board he threw
two sweet TD's to Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Jermaine Kearse.  Excellent management
of the game late as he made safe decisions and drained the clock.

- Did the injury bug bite Bilal Powell again?  He left the game early and never returned.
With Matt Forte out this was his time to finally take the #1 spot, now is not the time
to miss games.

- For the first time Marcus Maye outshined Jamal Adams.  Maye was excellent in coverage,
run support and had his first INT.  Adams struggled missing a key 3rd down tackle and
gave up a TD to Njoku.

- Morris Claiborne had an excellent game with multiple PBU's and an INT that jump started
the offense.  Marcus Williams was picked on all day and gave up multiple catches to very
pedestrian WR's.  The absence of Darryl Roberts and Juston Burris hurt.

- Half credit to Darron Lee & Demario Davis as they both had multiple "splash" plays.
Lee had a couple of TFL's which highlighted his speed and Davis had a sack and brought
good "A Gap" pressure on Claiborne's INT.  But they were not consistent in filling their
lanes in run defense.

Let's go over the multiple key plays that allowed the Jets to win:

- Freddie Bishop fumble recovery which cost CLE a TD
- Marcus Maye INT which cost CLE a TD
- Two missed FG's
- CLE bypassing another FG to go for it on 4th down.  Not getting it AND wasting a timeout
- The 96 yard TD drive after CLE didn't get the 4th down play.  Key catches by Eric Tomlinson,
Jeremy Kerley and Jermaine Kearse
- Morris Claiborne INT which set up a TD
- The 57 yard FG by Chandler Cantazaro at halftime

In closing it wasn't pretty but the Jets will be playing for first place next Sunday.  Who
would've thought that?  Also for those who were rating the Jets 2-2 record, JAX destroyed
PIT 30-9 and MIA beat TEN.  Just saying.     

12 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Special Teams has been the best since Westhoff left.  No sure who the coach is but he's doing a great job.

Brant Boyer in his second season after being an assistant in Indy.  A lot of folks wanted him fired after year one but he didn't have much to work with.  Much improved unit this season.

Thanks for the great game breakdown KRL, my only aurgument would me the quality of those Jets wins...Miami beat Tennessee with Matt Cassel at the helm, Cutler was abysmal...12 of 26 with one TD and one interception. Yes Jacksonville did beat the Steelers but that is despite Bortles having just 8 completions in the whole game. Big Ben threw 5 interceptions. 

Jets looked completely outplayed by a terrible team that kept making stupid mistakes with the worst QB in the league. Switch Mccown for Kizer and Jets lose by 30 points. Browns are playing it right starting a rookie giving them a chance at a franchise QB for the future. This is going to be the worst season in terms of outcome in the history of the franchise. Bowles extended and no Future QB.

Just now, Jetsbb said:

Jets looked completely outplayed by a terrible team that kept making stupid mistakes with the worst QB in the league. Switch Mccown for Kizer and Jets lose by 30 points. Browns are playing it right starting a rookie giving them a chance at a franchise QB for the future. This is going to be the worst season in terms of outcome in the history of the franchise. Bowles extended and no Future QB.

Bullsh*t. 

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

OLD

Yeah I think it was pretty obvious that we lucked out with two sloppy red zone turnovers by the Browns, plus a missed FG int he first half. We had some really dumb penalties, and I totally agree with KRL that both the O-line and D-line got consistently spanked. Wilkerson continues to steal money, and the vaunted D-line looks pretty ineffective in general. The positives, however, is that I really liked the way the young guys fought. Robbie Anderson had some nice catches. ASJ looks like a legit tight end. Marcus Maye showed really good instincts on that INT. Heck, even Demario Davis actually had a pretty good game. 

I'm thinking we get five wins this season, whch might put us out of the running. Since the Bears have Trubisky and the Browns have Watson, maybe one them is willing to trade down with the Jets (although the price will be heavy for the #1 or 2 pick this April). Add in a few FA offensive lineman and skill position players next year, and I think the Jets could even be playoff contenders next year, especially if this is finally the year that Brady and the Pats finally show signs of decline

4 hours ago, KRL said:

In what may have been their worst game of the year the Jets squeaked out a "butt
ugly" 17-14 win over CLE.  Thanks to CLE ineptitude in leaving 23 points on the field
and wasting timeouts the Jets overcame their poor play to fall into a three way tie
for first place.  

And after this spectacular performance following the game McCown tried to blow the Jacksonville win, Jets fans are starting 'McCown was a great addition' threads...containing posts of what they want to pay for McCown to be back next year.

SMDH.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If you have a winning season you win some games ugly. 

This isn't a winning season though. Its a win a few games early bec the competition is so bad and then face real teams so lose just enough games to have an awful season but keep Bowles and have no future with a bad draft slot season.

its becoming very obvious that our front 4 is extremely overrated.  Wilkerson shows up on almost every play as being out of position, making a gap mistake or playing without effort.  Leonard Williams gets push, but he can't disengage and now that he's doubled he is easily moved.  Only 5 tackles this season and no sacks..  Not good enough.  We miss Richardson and Snacks badly.

The bright spot has been our secondary play this season.  Our Cbs have been way better than expected.  Of course they haven't gone up against elite competition yet, but still a pleasant surprise.  Our rookie safeties are as expected quite good but they do make rookie mistakes so its a mixed bag.  

We will be exposed against greater competition soon enough, but its been fun getting some wins.  Yea its probably going to hurt us long term, but for now 'you play the game to win'.

20 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

This isn't a winning season though. Its a win a few games early bec the competition is so bad and then face real teams so lose just enough games to have an awful season but keep Bowles and have no future with a bad draft slot season.

If the Jets play the way they played today the rest of the season they won't win another game, and finish at 3-13, I would guess that a 3-13 finish would be good enough for a tie for the 3rd worst record with the Bears, and 49ers, so depending on strength of schedule the Jets would pick anywhere between 3rd to 5th, the top 2 picks will be the Browns, and Giants, I can't find more then 1 win on eithers remaining schedule (Browns because they are bad, and Giants because of injuries, and the team full of veterans will quit IMO), I'd guess Darnold, and Rosen go 1, 2, and no other QB worthy of a top 5 pick it's between Saquan Barkley, top edge rusher, or top OT for the Jets.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If the Jets play the way they played today the rest of the season they won't win another game, and finish at 3-13, I would guess that a 3-13 finish would be good enough for a tie for the 3rd worst record with the Bears, and 49ers, so depending on strength of schedule the Jets would pick anywhere between 3rd to 5th, the top 2 picks will be the Browns, and Giants, I can't find more then 1 win on eithers remaining schedule (Browns because they are bad, and Giants because of injuries, and the team full of veterans will quit IMO), I'd guess Darnold, and Rosen go 1, 2, and no other QB worthy of a top 5 pick it's between Saquan Barkley, top edge rusher, or top OT for the Jets.

They are screwed. Browns, 49ers, and Giants are all 0-5. Jets will sneak out a couple more wins and be behind the Bears and Chargers as well. Expect them to get the 6th-8th pick. There is no future to look forward to . Giants will be winning Superbowls with Rosen while we rest in the bottom of the division for the next 3 years as Bowles rides out his extension.

7 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

They lose to 30 other teams playing the exact same way. Wouldn't be surprised at 3-13 after that performance.

the thing is cleveland has lots of good players and are close to being a good team.  yes they are 0-5 and for some good reasons but a team like that can pull it all together and beat just about any team.  and the jets weren't prepared to see hogan as the qb.  had cleveland started hogan the game might've ended differently.

13 hours ago, KRL said:

for first place.  Other than a few key plays there weren't many positives in the
review of the tape.  Let's take a look:

- OLine was spanked in both run & pass blocking.  Add in way too many penalties and 
you have a mess.  Credit to CLE DC (Gregg Williams) for breaking out some old school
Buddy Ryan "46 Defense" to clamp down on the running game.

- DLine was pushed around in the run game and they didn't bring enough consistent
pressure.  Muhammad Wilkerson's name was finally heard, unfortunately it was for 
two personal fouls.  The absence of Kony Ealy was very evident.

- Credit to both Lachlan Edwards and Chandler Cantazaro.  With offense doing nothing
Edwards kept CLE backed up with his punts.  And Cantazaro shockingly gave the team
a lead at halftime with a massive 57 yard FG.

- Solid game for Josh McCown as he kept the mistakes to a minimum (1 INT) as he was
under pressure.  And when he had the opportunity to put points on the board he threw
two sweet TD's to Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Jermaine Kearse.  Excellent management
of the game late as he made safe decisions and drained the clock.

- Did the injury bug bite Bilal Powell again?  He left the game early and never returned.
With Matt Forte out this was his time to finally take the #1 spot, now is not the time
to miss games.

- For the first time Marcus Maye outshined Jamal Adams.  Maye was excellent in coverage,
run support and had his first INT.  Adams struggled missing a key 3rd down tackle and
gave up a TD to Njoku.

- Morris Claiborne had an excellent game with multiple PBU's and an INT that jump started
the offense.  Marcus Williams was picked on all day and gave up multiple catches to very
pedestrian WR's.  The absence of Darryl Roberts and Juston Burris hurt.

- Half credit to Darron Lee & Demario Davis as they both had multiple "splash" plays.
Lee had a couple of TFL's which highlighted his speed and Davis had a sack and brought
good "A Gap" pressure on Claiborne's INT.  But they were not consistent in filling their
lanes in run defense.

Let's go over the multiple key plays that allowed the Jets to win:

- Freddie Bishop fumble recovery which cost CLE a TD
- Marcus Maye INT which cost CLE a TD
- Two missed FG's
- CLE bypassing another FG to go for it on 4th down.  Not getting it AND wasting a timeout
- The 96 yard TD drive after CLE didn't get the 4th down play.  Key catches by Eric Tomlinson,
Jeremy Kerley and Jermaine Kearse
- Morris Claiborne INT which set up a TD
- The 57 yard FG by Chandler Cantazaro at halftime

In closing it wasn't pretty but the Jets will be playing for first place next Sunday.  Who
would've thought that?  Also for those who were rating the Jets 2-2 record, JAX destroyed
PIT 30-9 and MIA beat TEN.  Just saying.     

Excellent analysis.  thank you. Five games into the season and the Jets are very much part of the conversation. I know it's early but I'm enjoying every second of this while it lasts. I feel sorry for Jet fans who are so beaten down, they are hoping for losses.

Although he made a good TFL, I thought Lee played really poorly.  He is constantly out of position, gets caught up in traffic, takes false steps and is just not an instinctual player whatsoever.  I can't imagine that our defense as a unit wouldn't play better with Stanford at ILB.

I know the thought of the Giants landing Darnold now is a terrible one, but the bottom line is the Jets are playing for first place next week after somehow winning a game where we played extremely poorly.  Cleveland handed us this victory with turnovers and stupidity, but this is also the type of game that we have lost in the past.  Some weeks you have to find ways to win, and thats what this team has done the last 2 weeks.  Yes I would prefer it was being done with Petty or a young QB we were developing.  Yes we need to find a franchise QB. But more importantly, the young guys on this team are learning what it takes to find ways to win and that is extremely important for their development and the organization as a whole.

We will find a QB somehow....lets focus on the Pats for now

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Although he made a good TFL, I thought Lee played really poorly.  He is constantly out of position, gets caught up in traffic, takes false steps and is just not an instinctual player whatsoever.  I can't imagine that our defense as a unit wouldn't play better with Stanford at ILB.

I know the thought of the Giants landing Darnold now is a terrible one, but the bottom line is the Jets are playing for first place next week after somehow winning a game where we played extremely poorly.  Cleveland handed us this victory with turnovers and stupidity, but this is also the type of game that we have lost in the past.  Some weeks you have to find ways to win, and thats what this team has done the last 2 weeks.  Yes I would prefer it was being done with Petty or a young QB we were developing.  Yes we need to find a franchise QB. But more importantly, the young guys on this team are learning what it takes to find ways to win and that is extremely important for their development and the organization as a whole.

We will find a QB somehow....lets focus on the Pats for now

Yes, Brian Hoyer should be available this offseason.

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Brant Boyer in his second season after being an assistant in Indy.  A lot of folks wanted him fired after year one but he didn't have much to work with.  Much improved unit this season.

That’s the key, he has good players now.

For what it’s worth, Mac does an excellent job with the back of the roster

5 hours ago, Hael said:

its becoming very obvious that our front 4 is extremely overrated.  Wilkerson shows up on almost every play as being out of position, making a gap mistake or playing without effort.  Leonard Williams gets push, but he can't disengage and now that he's doubled he is easily moved.  Only 5 tackles this season and no sacks..  Not good enough.  We miss Richardson and Snacks badly.

The bright spot has been our secondary play this season.  Our Cbs have been way better than expected.  Of course they haven't gone up against elite competition yet, but still a pleasant surprise.  Our rookie safeties are as expected quite good but they do make rookie mistakes so its a mixed bag.  

We will be exposed against greater competition soon enough, but its been fun getting some wins.  Yea its probably going to hurt us long term, but for now 'you play the game to win'.

I know it was only one play, but I'm pretty sure Mo did a great job at the point of attack on the 4th down stop. Looked at the time like he got doubled but didn't get moved back at all, creating the pile that stopped Cleveland from advancing. (I also thought he might have got hurt on that play, looked like his leg got rolled over / trapped under him). Can't find the video now, if I can find it I'll post a link.

On the flip side, that late Cleveland drive for a TD, and especially the screen play, was unforgivable. Sloppy all round, Bowles needs to rip into them for that one - how many missed tackles due to arm tackling, or going for the "big hit" and whiffing? 

Overall though, I thought that the way Cleveland played was very much how we often lose games - mistakes, turnovers and missed chances early, late flurry of activity late on (plus bad time-out mgmt), leaving us with an onside kick/ mission impossible and we "just fall short". For once, however ugly it was, it was nice to be doing the "what if / if only ..." afterwards.

So the "cute" thought by fans now is how we should strive to be CLE.  Really???  
A team whose culture is so saturated with losing that they couldn't help but give
yesterday's game to the Jets: 

- Two turnovers inside the 10 yard line that cost them 14 points
- Two missed FG's 
- A botched 4th down call in which they bypassed an opportunity to tie the game.
Then didn't get the first down, blew a crucial timeout then gave up a 96 yard TD
drive

I believe those screwups come from an organization who constantly looks to tank
and doesn't concern themselves with winning.  Getting a high #1 assures nothing
other than getting a ton of pre-draft coverage on ESPN.  It's about picking the
right QB then creating an environment to develop him.  Does CLE have that?  Hue
Jackson is supposed to be a "QB guru" but he sure pulled the plug quickly on
Kizer, his hand picked starter.  There's no doubt the Jets need a franchise QB
but this year there are multiple options in free agency and the draft.  With
a huge amount of cap space and the necessary draft capital Maccagnan has enough
resources to get one.  But the key question is will he pick the right one.
But for now I'm watching a young team develop chemistry, an identity and play
for first place on Sunday    

10 minutes ago, KRL said:

So the "cute" thought by fans now is how we should strive to be CLE.  Really???  
A team whose culture is so saturated with losing that they couldn't help but give
yesterday's game to the Jets: 

- Two turnovers inside the 10 yard line that cost them 14 points
- Two missed FG's 
- A botched 4th down call in which they bypassed an opportunity to tie the game.
Then didn't get the first down, blew a crucial timeout then gave up a 96 yard TD
drive

I believe those screwups come from an organization who constantly looks to tank
and doesn't concern themselves with winning.  Getting a high #1 assures nothing
other than getting a ton of pre-draft coverage on ESPN.  It's about picking the
right QB then creating an environment to develop him.  Does CLE have that?  Hue
Jackson is supposed to be a "QB guru" but he sure pulled the plug quickly on
Kizer, his hand picked starter.  There's no doubt the Jets need a franchise QB
but this year there are multiple options in free agency and the draft.  With
a huge amount of cap space and the necessary draft capital Maccagnan has enough
resources to get one.  But the key question is will he pick the right one.
But for now I'm watching a young team develop chemistry, an identity and play
for first place on Sunday    

Cleveland has shown no ability to draft properly for the last decade. 

Archived