Time to put your money where your mouths are

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HessStation said:

There's different groups of the tank prospect. I don't watch the game necessarily rooting for or against and like seeing certain players making plays. I'm just overseeing the game hoping the other team inevitably wins. 

It's not exciting win or loss, it's just an empty season vacant of any real emotion but knowing they'd be better of losing than winning. Pats will be more of a struggle to root against them and at this point they're close to being mired at around #5-8 anyway. Not sure how I'll handle the game until it's on really. Wasn't exciting for me to beat the Jags  on what should have been a loss if not for holding and the Browns who threw away the game.

and I don't care how other people want to watch the game. I understand both sides. But the one's complaining about the tank crowd I find endearing yet annoying 

I'm right about in the same place. I was literally LOL when it looked like they were throwing the game against the Jags, and completely content when the Browns got their first lead of the 2017 season. I'm rooting for the Jets to look good, for players to make plays, to give me some hope that a team is being put together, but there's no emotional involvement. I'd be right along with the tank crowd if the Jets were 0-5, but they're not. And I loved squishing the fish, that was great. 

I can't sit in front of the game and root against the team. But I can be totally zen when they lose. It's making for a remarkably comfortable football season. 

58 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm right about in the same place. I was literally LOL when it looked like they were throwing the game against the Jags, and completely content when the Browns got their first lead of the 2017 season. I'm rooting for the Jets to look good, for players to make plays, to give me some hope that a team is being put together, but there's no emotional involvement. I'd be right along with the tank crowd if the Jets were 0-5, but they're not. And I loved squishing the fish, that was great. 

I can't sit in front of the game and root against the team. But I can be totally zen when they lose. It's making for a remarkably comfortable football season. 

I envy and admire that. (No sarcasm)

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

So did anybody bet? 

11 games left * 20 per game, Jets could lose them all, so do not think anyone was risking $220 in a random display of fandom...

I do think a wager on if the Jets make the playoffs, or not, could be more interesting since the debate on the value of wins that do not result in playoffs should be in the tankers constitution 

and no I am not betting - even if I did win money in Cleveland :)

22 hours ago, Larz said:

So did anybody bet? 

No, no one bet because they know that the Jets, as presently constructed, are not a winning football team. So, by default, since they know, logically that this team won't even get to 8-8, let alone 9-7 and almost assuredly not 7-9, they are rooting, again, by default, for 6-10 at best.

Having said this, no one is suggesting that the way you root changes the outcomes of games, that is absurd. But since this is a discussion forum, in which we exchange ideas, the IDEA of that feels "dumb" to me and others. Not completely idiotic, as I have been called numerous times now, but definitely not smart enough to justify the "real fan" vs. "bad fan" attitude that has pervaded the conversation here.

THAT was my whole point when starting the thread. To illustrate this point. Was it the best way? Of course not.

I'm sure THIS will be called an idiotic rant.

Archived