Williams Released

KRL

7 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Marcus Williams was AWFUL against the Browns.  I have no problem with them releasing him.  I would love them to give Jalin Marshall another shot at returning kicks and punts.  Lets hope that as he matured he's learned to hold onto the ball.  The kid is a play maker with the ball in his hands he just has to hold on to the rock.

Jalin Marshall is Jeremy Kerley without his hands . If the Jets need to make another roster move, 1 of those 2 will probably get cut . 

Lets give this player another season.  Lets not cut him just yet. He is raw, and yes, he dropped A LOT of balls last season.

Know who we were making those same comments about after one season; Quincy Enunwa. 

How about maybe we check this kid out for one more season; especially a throwaway one like we have.

Too bad the guy probably is just not good enough in regular coverage as he was one of the few consistent guys to produce turnovers in his time here.

As for Marshall, he is terrible and will cost us a game if he plays much.  Probably another of Bowles 'buddies'

Williams has not looked good since his 6 INT season a few seasons ago. Had Clark not been recovering from injury, Williams would not have made the team- IMHO. 

I think the Jets finally saw enough vs. the Browns where Williams got torched on practically every play. If Burris and Roberts are healthy, the Jets have plenty of CBs that can play without needing Williams as depth- Claiborne, Burris, Skrine, Roberts, Jones. And they have 4 safeties. The defensive backfield is fine right now. 

I don't know why all the hate for Marshall. Makes more bad plays than good? The dude has yet to play in the regular season. Are we looking back at his rookie year and focusing on fumbles and a few drops??? B/C otherwise he looked like a diamond in the rough. A guy who makes plays, is shifty in the slot and goes hard after the ball. Way more upside than Williams.   

18 hours ago, TJ said:

Surprised Bowles would release a cb. 

Probably because he was a total failure when they tried to move him to safety last year. 

Williams has been bad for some time.  I was surprised when they tendered him and shocked they didn't draft/sign enough bodies that he wouldn't make the opening day roster.

I don't get the Marshall hate.  He has good YAC the ability and might be a big help with this team. I thought he showed promise, but I am not expecting him to be a stud.  My biggest concern was that he seemed to be a fumbler.  The draft reports described him as a plug and play punt returner, so I am not afraid to give him another shot back there, though he was scary last year.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Probably because he was a total failure when they tried to move him to safety last year. 

Williams has been bad for some time.  I was surprised when they tendered him and shocked they didn't draft/sign enough bodies that he wouldn't make the opening day roster.

I don't get the Marshall hate.  He has good YAC the ability and might be a big help with this team. I thought he showed promise, but I am not expecting him to be a stud.  My biggest concern was that he seemed to be a fumbler.  The draft reports described him as a plug and play punt returner, so I am not afraid to give him another shot back there, though he was scary last year.

Yeah, the fumbles were troubling.  If he can clean that up, we'd have decent returner. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Williams has not looked good since his 6 INT season a few seasons ago. Had Clark not been recovering from injury, Williams would not have made the team- IMHO. 

I think the Jets finally saw enough vs. the Browns where Williams got torched on practically every play. If Burris and Roberts are healthy, the Jets have plenty of CBs that can play without needing Williams as depth- Claiborne, Burris, Skrine, Roberts, Jones. And they have 4 safeties. The defensive backfield is fine right now. 

I don't know why all the hate for Marshall. Makes more bad plays than good? The dude has yet to play in the regular season. Are we looking back at his rookie year and focusing on fumbles and a few drops??? B/C otherwise he looked like a diamond in the rough. A guy who makes plays, is shifty in the slot and goes hard after the ball. Way more upside than Williams.   

I think J Marshall is a baller! He's a fumbler cause he's fearless, plus the Jets have always had an archaic offense where too many guys are in the same area (seemed like bunch plays but no planned,lol). I'd love to see Marshall get the ball in a bunch play, he's good in the open field. He's the perfect guy to attack the Pats in the slot, one missed tackle & he's off. He has a nice low center of gravity & good balance. Its so funny how fast Jet fans want to give up on guy. Julian Edelman fumbled & dropped some balls early in his career too, too bad the Pats didn't cut him.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I think J Marshall is a baller! He's a fumbler cause he's fearless, plus the Jets have always had an archaic offense where too many guys are in the same area (seemed like bunch plays but no planned,lol). I'd love to see Marshall get the ball in a bunch play, he's good in the open field. He's the perfect guy to attack the Pats in the slot, one missed tackle & he's off. He has a nice low center of gravity & good balance. Its so funny how fast Jet fans want to give up on guy. Julian Edelman fumbled & dropped some balls early in his career too, too bad the Pats didn't cut him.

Marshall's issue is ball security, his fumbles arent fluky, he is just very loose and careless with the ball when he is running.  Might be a result of him just being a young player, but its very apparent that he is extremely susceptible to fumbles.

That being said, he just seems to have a smoothness to his play, that other players simply dont have.  I went to the Green/White scrimmage and watched him quite a bit - he is really explosive and just has that quickness/burst to him that makes him look different then other players.  I really hope he can clean up the fumbles because he could be a good player for Morton to use in the slot and even in the backfield similar to Ty Montgomery in GB.

He certainly has more upside then Marcus Williams

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Marshall's issue is ball security, his fumbles arent fluky, he is just very loose and careless with the ball when he is running.  Might be a result of him just being a young player, but its very apparent that he is extremely susceptible to fumbles.

That being said, he just seems to have a smoothness to his play, that other players simply dont have.  I went to the Green/White scrimmage and watched him quite a bit - he is really explosive and just has that quickness/burst to him that makes him look different then other players.  I really hope he can clean up the fumbles because he could be a good player for Morton to use in the slot and even in the backfield similar to Ty Montgomery in GB.

He certainly has more upside then Marcus Williams

Good comparison. He's got strong legs, good base & balance. I think he's gonna be awesome in this offense. He'd be a good player to use in the jet sweep everyone is using. He played QB in highschool . Marshall came out really early he had 2 remaining years of eligibility. As a freshman he had 38 catches, 2nd most at Ohio State as a freshman to Chris Carter. He's good, Bowles is putting up with him because he's seen his upside. A lot of scouts said he should have stayed in school & he would have been a 3rd rounder. Nice grab by Macc, lets hope for the best going forward. Coming off suspension, with B Marshall & Decker gone, its his time to shine.

22 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

On another note, Williams' tender became fully guaranteed, right?  Not that this is a particular issue given the amount of money they have next year, but if so it says more about the team's opinions of him if they are willing to send him packing with no savings coming along with it, as opposed to other guys near the bottom on the roster who are cheaper and/or not guaranteed.

It was stupid. 

Agree, it's not a lot compared to the massive amount the team will have to spend, but that doesn't make it the opposite of unintelligent (not to mention this stuff adds up). Just like Breno a year earlier, keeping him on the final roster at an non-guaranteed $5m even though he needed to start out on the PUP list (at a minimum) if kept. There are some guys that are just no-brainer cuts for $ reasons, where we know with 99.99% certainty no one else was going to pay that amount either. And if there is that 1 team willing to, they're welcome to him.

On final cutdown day, they knew he wasn't starting and what the pecking order was. They could have pulled a Tannenbaum - and do it off screen FFS - and guaranteed his salary for the year at $2m or less that he wasn't getting from anywhere else at that late juncture. So we kept him, and put him on special teams, for $2.75m (net ~$2.3m, since the next man up, at ~$400K, would bump from #52 to #51 and would then count cap-wise).

Still, it was foolish. If they were doing anything this offseason, by the time camp started, they were dumping dead weight salary to save for 2018+. It was ridiculous to think, after his 3 prior seasons here (2 with this CS), and after this 4th camp/preseason was over, that Marcus was going to suddenly show some dramatic improvement on defense during the reg season (as the team's 4th-5th string DB mind you). It was not worth the $ gamble to think there'd be enough improvement that might make his 2017 presence worthwhile at that $, give reason to extend him after that, and/or think there will be trade offers for him while he's such a low-level backup on a low-level team.

22 hours ago, jpoppy717 said:

On a related note, Macc unnecessarily gave him a 2nd rd tender rather than a low round tender, wasted $1 mil.  

Agree, but for a different reason. Should've been a lower level (if kept at all) because no one was going to swoop him away from us, and if they did then they can have him. We wouldn't have gotten anything in return, unless we decided to match, but so what? Not like anyone was coughing up a 2nd for the privilege of outbidding $2.75m for the year.

21 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

That crossed my mind as well, but I wasn't sure if Williams qualified for a low-round tender given that he was an UDFA.  In that case, I think the lower tender would have meant no compensation for the Jets if he signed somewhere.  In hindsight, that seems like it may have been the better choice, but I didn't remember off hand how that worked.

This is correct, unless there was some CBA change of which I'm unaware. Williams was an UDFA so we'd have gotten nothing if we didn't match. 

That said, there's room for negotiation on Sept 2nd. On that late date, nobody was going to get a chub over Marcus getting cut. Both player and agent surely know this, and would have therefore taken less to stay with a fully guaranteed contract instead of holding out for that amount as a free agent, and risk being just a week-to-week player. 

This one was easy.

I didn't see anyone mention this but the Texans picked him up today. He originally signed with the Texans but was cut and that's when the Jets picked him up. I personally think we should have kept him. You can't have too many Dbs. Unless that is Bowles is trying to make a statement. You play bad you are out.  And that's ok too. 

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Crazy thought....Jets switched Thomas from DL to FB......maybe just maybe.....Marshall will be switched to CB.....in high school I always heard if you can't catch but can run and go after the ball, you're not a WR, you're a CB.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:49 PM, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Crazy thought....Jets switched Thomas from DL to FB......maybe just maybe.....Marshall will be switched to CB.....in high school I always heard if you can't catch but can run and go after the ball, you're not a WR, you're a CB.

Enough already, Marshall has has some drops but he is a WR and he can catch,. 

On 10/10/2017 at 8:04 PM, Beerfish said:

Marshall dropped everything in camp from the daily reports, the guy is a stiff that can't catch and coughs up the ball.

Far from it.  His issue was consistency.  He'd look fine for most of the day, sprinkle in a great catch here and there, but the he would drop one or two with nobody around him and had a couple batted out of his hands almost effortlessly for fumbles against defenders.  More drops than you'd like to see, but "dropped everything" is untrue.

If you're ever going to work out a young kid and give him a chance to get over some yips, this is the season to do it.

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Far from it.  His issue was consistency.  He'd look fine for most of the day, sprinkle in a great catch here and there, but the he would drop one or two with nobody around him and had a couple batted out of his hands almost effortlessly for fumbles against defenders.  More drops than you'd like to see, but "dropped everything" is untrue.

If you're ever going to work out a young kid and give him a chance to get over some yips, this is the season to do it.

2nd year pro who faded badly last year, fumble a number of times on returns to the point he got yanked.  Went and got suspended, we drafted two wrs.

When you are battling for your life and are an UDFA you don't get the luxury of dropping more than you would like, getting suspended and generally not being at all impressive.

He made the team last year because he looked really good in camp, since then he has shown zip to show he belongs.

FWIW, the draft reports discussed neither fearlessness or looseness with the ball as huge concerns, but they described him as having "average" hand strength.  They seemed most concerned with that in terms of "50-50 balls" but it could certainly contribute to fumbling.  My main issue with him is that he isn't very fast, or quick, or explosive.  He played that same Harvin role as Curtis Samuel in Ohio State's offense and that same NFL.com draft blurb described him as "a running back playing the slot"  They comped him to Keshawn Martin who was drafted while Maccagnan was with the Texans, but he basically had some Charone Peake seasons and hasn't made it out of camp the last couple of years.

Just now, Beerfish said:

2nd year pro who faded badly last year, fumble a number of times on returns to the point he got yanked.  Went and got suspended, we drafted two wrs.

When you are battling for your life and are an UDFA you don't get the luxury of dropping more than you would like, getting suspended and generally not being at all impressive.

He made the team last year because he looked really good in camp, since then he has shown zip to show he belongs.

You're almost making it sound like a 22 year old player with 10 games under his belt is a well travelled journeyman.  He's a kid.  Sometimes talented young players struggle.

Archived