USMNT not going to World Cup

RoadFan

19 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Heartbroken.  Furious.  Thinking other things that I won't say...

The every 4 years 'Merica' crowd have no idea how devastating this is.  Fox Sports does after bidding the GNP of a small country to broadcast it in the U.S.

Wtf?  Just last week when we beat Panama our chances of making it were 93 %???

Ultimately this might be a good thing for the program.  We needed a major wakeup call and to completely re-tool.  

As usual, the USMNT was erratic and disappointing.  They deserve to sit home as the world plays on to an eventual champion.  If only these clowns had the heart and talent of our women's team.

Also, I guess the Tim Howard era is over.  Gonzalez' own goal was a catastrophe and inexcusable.  But Tim letting in a 30 yard bomb is just embarrassing.

In 94 England didnt make it, Italy has missed on occasion...   it is a opportunity to look at how the team is run and managed from top to bottom.

Heard some good analysis this morning about how we simply didnt seem prepared and ready.

Im a bigger fan now than ever before as Ive started to travel abroad.  I take online spanish lessons from an Argentinian guy and he 

was up til 3AM  (he was in France last night) watching Argentina play Ecuador. To them... this is life and death.

I don't really follow soccer aside from a casual interest in the World Cup (yeah, I'm one of those people), but I do remember the powers that be saying maybe a half-dozen years ago or so that they were really going to focus on turning the US into a formidable opponent on the world stage. I see that didn't work out too well. 

My two cents (which probably isn't even worth two cents since I know dick about the intricacies of this subject): this country doesn't have much of a youth development presence in soccer. All the good athletes end up involved in other sports by the time anyone notices them. There's a lot of untapped talent out there but it's not going toward soccer. 

6 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I don't really follow soccer aside from a casual interest in the World Cup (yeah, I'm one of those people), but I do remember the powers that be saying maybe a half-dozen years ago or so that they were really going to focus on turning the US into a formidable opponent on the world stage. I see that didn't work out too well. 

My two cents (which probably isn't even worth two cents since I know dick about the intricacies of this subject): this country doesn't have much of a youth development presence in soccer. All the good athletes end up involved in other sports by the time anyone notices them. There's a lot of untapped talent out there but it's not going toward soccer. 

You're spot on here.  While European and South American countries have their kids start playing in the pro circuits at 15 (while simultaneously going to school), in the US we focus more on getting kids college scholarships, where they play other college players for 2.5 months out of the year, rather than pro players nearly year-round.  

Klinsmann alienated the youth coaches.  Bruce Arena (the most recent coach) is gutless.  We need a US coach who will invest in young players and completely change the paradigm by which we identify and develop players in this country.  The favorite at the moment to take over is Tab Ramos, the current coach of the U-20 team.  

On 10/11/2017 at 4:01 PM, Arsis said:

Good maybe the boring "sport" will die

I always love when a fan of the American naptime, aka baseball, calls soccer boring.

162 three and a half hour games with constant delays between innings, pitches, pitches where nothing actually happens, commercials, pickoff throws, conferences on the mound, pitching changes, spitting, and scratching their fn' sweaty nuts under their cups...

The game is twenty years from being totally irrelevant.  Average age of baseball fan is 53 and rising.  Average age of soccer fan is 37 and lowering.

F*ck off baseball fan.  Sweet dreams  "naptime."

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I always love when a fan of the American naptime, aka baseball, calls soccer boring.

162 three and a half hour games with constant delays between innings, pitches, pitches where nothing actually happens, commercials, pickoff throws, conferences on the mound, pitching changes, spitting, and scratching their fn' sweaty nuts under their cups...

The game is twenty years from being totally irrelevant.  Average age of baseball fan is 53 and rising.  Average age of soccer fan is 37 and lowering.

Always love the people that come into soccer threads to tell people they don't care about soccer, and for some reason can't stand when people in this country talk about it once every 4 years.  When has soccer coverage ever encroached on any other sport's coverage?  

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I haven't watched a baseball game in 6 years.

12 hours ago, RoadFan said:

baseball can be pretty boring but it's nothing compared to soccer.  90 thrilling minutes of guys standing around, faking injuries, not scoring or even shooting on goal.  it's just riveting!

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Always love the people that come into soccer threads to tell people they don't care about soccer, and for some reason can't stand when people in this country talk about it once every 4 years.  When has soccer coverage ever encroached on any other sport's coverage?  

actually it does b/c it's being shoved down our throats, soccer is gaining popularity.  Our Country is sadly turning into a European country so we have to pretend to be like them by rioting, protesting, calling our soccer teams "football clubs", idiotic fans dancing, singing, chanting all game long, ...

6 hours ago, Arsis said:

I haven't watched a baseball game in 6 years.

It's a bad break for soccer in this country. Because baseball is really poised for a fall. Have watched one game all season, last Friday night. It simply takes forever-pitching changes, endless stepping out and signs, incompetent umpires. Too many long stretches when nothing happens. 4+ hour games are not compelling to watch by anyone of any age. 

Soccer is going to take a hit here. At some point the EPL or some other big time league is going figure out how to have a big time league here. But this did not help. A decent showing by the US would have helped that. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

It's a bad break for soccer in this country. Because baseball is really poised for a fall. Have watched one game all season, last Friday night. It simply takes forever-pitching changes, endless stepping out and signs, incompetent umpires. Too many long stretches when nothing happens. 4+ hour games are not compelling to watch by anyone of any age. 

Soccer is going to take a hit here. At some point the EPL or some other big time league is going figure out how to have a big time league here. But this did not help. A decent showing by the US would have helped that. 

soccer is 90 minutes of nothing happening.  the only good thing about soccer is you know the game will be over in less than 2 hours. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

MLS numbers are actually up.  The attendance figures for the newest expansion team in Atlanta are amazing.  Reminds me of going to watch the Cosmos in the 70s where 80K packed the Meadowlands.

"The story of American soccer’s growth is told in the Pacific Northwest, in ethnic communities, some college towns and in traditional urban centers from coast to coast. Increasingly, though, the sport has taken hold in unconventional locations.

On Saturday, pro attendance records fell not in Los Angeles, Seattle or New York but in Atlanta and Cincinnati.

At Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the brand new southern cradle for the NFL and Southeastern Conference football, first-year Atlanta United drew the largest crowd for a stand-alone MLS match in the league’s 22-season history (70,425)."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/09/17/professional-soccer-attendance-records-fall-in-atlanta-and-cincinnati/?utm_term=.747fdf1945a3

On 10/13/2017 at 8:43 AM, Bugg said:

If the EPL were to figure out a way to have a team based in New York or DC- then you'd see soccer take off here. That's the only way I see soccer ever getting big in the states. There needs to be a real professional team.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the EPL were to figure out a way to have a team based in New York or DC- then you'd see soccer take off here. That's the only way I see soccer ever getting big in the states. There needs to be a real professional team.

Major Euro teams playing friendlies here sell out in 20 minutes. If EPL ever did that, it would print $. MLS, despite some success, is never going to be that unless the US make a big run up to  the World Cup Final, which is clearly not going to happen next summer. 

As to the boring factor; there is so much down time in baseball that by comparison the away for the ball stuff and lack of shots on goal is the difference between  a nap and New Years' Eve.At least there isn't a commercial every 5 minutes. Actually during the game there are no commercials spare the surround screen ads. And as the innings go later the ads pile up. Happened once already this playoff where I fell asleep, woke up in the middle of a blizzard of ads and could not tell if the game was over until around the 5th or 6th ad the game finally came back on. 

But the diving is really crap. In hockey you get a world of poop for that unless you are Sidney Crosby, and soccer's culture is to act like you've been shot every time anyone breathes on you. And injury time is BS.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:53 PM, Bugg said:

But the diving is really crap. In hockey you get a world of poop for that unless you are Sidney Crosby, and soccer's culture is to act like you've been shot every time anyone breathes on you. And injury time is BS.

For sure.  The US dives less than anyone.  And since the women's game was driven first by the US, there's hardly any diving at all in Women's matches, even among the European teams.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 12:53 PM, Bugg said:

And injury time is BS.

The purpose of injury time is to stop the BS time wasting, trying to preserve a lead with fake injuries.  From that perspective it works.  It just seems as if the amount of time added is arbitrary, although I'm sure the 4th official on the sideline is keeping track.    

On October 14, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Bugg said:

Major Euro teams playing friendlies here sell out in 20 minutes. If EPL ever did that, it would print $. MLS, despite some success, is never going to be that unless the US make a big run up to  the World Cup Final, which is clearly not going to happen next summer. 

As to the boring factor; there is so much down time in baseball that by comparison the away for the ball stuff and lack of shots on goal is the difference between  a nap and New Years' Eve.At least there isn't a commercial every 5 minutes. Actually during the game there are no commercials spare the surround screen ads. And as the innings go later the ads pile up. Happened once already this playoff where I fell asleep, woke up in the middle of a blizzard of ads and could not tell if the game was over until around the 5th or 6th ad the game finally came back on. 

Agree!

there actually is a lot to like about soccer played at the highest levels.

the scores often being so low makes it difficult for the casual fan to turn into a full blown fan.

The injury time is very annoying ... It's been awhile since I've actually paid full attention to a game ... But I did not remember it actually being shown to the players/fans so that they knew how much time they had to complete a play... That can't be right can it?

and the end all - be all for me is the flops  ...OMG ... This is the part of soccer that just disgusts me to no end. ... If  I want to see a bunch of p*$$ies who can't act their way out of a paper bag I'll put on a Rosie O'Donnell or Justin Beiber movie

Archived